1/4

Power Couple

 

It all started on one sunny afternoon.

 

It was terribly hot, the sun was shining mercilessly down right on top of everyone's heads, the heat was unexpectedly bad this summer and almost every water holes had dried up.



 

And young Daniel

sorry let's rephrase,

Crown Prince Daniel of Ostella, the sole alpha heir to the kingdom's throne, is now lost in the middle of nowhere.


 

You see, if he's still in the territory of Ostella Kingdom, he'd be fine since everybody basically knows him and would send him back to the castle if he were to get lost. But now that he's stranded in a foreign land, facing unknown faces along the road with no guards and maids to accompany him, he's sort of doomed.






 

Daniel had only turned 10 a few months ago and representatives from nearby kingdoms had all attended the birthday banquet with the same hidden agenda; union by marriage. And out of every other royal families that had presented their own heirs and heiresses for a hand in marriage, the people from Aenidel really caught the king and queen's attention.




 

Here’s a brief history, ever since he could start to understand simple words and sentences, Daniel knew he was going to marry someone that would benefit his country and people, hence had long given up on true love (he also still couldn’t understand the concept of love yet) so he never complained on the rather sad arrangement. Besides, his parents were also set up together which means no love at first sight or passionate feelings at the beginning of their relationship. But since they are still okay now, Daniel considered that it's alright to marry someone he hasn't met before, they can bond later after marriage anyway. A lifetime is a pretty long duration to know one another.




 

And this brings us to the present time of Daniel being lost in the middle of a busy town in the country of Aenidel, having lost both his way and his carriage for no good reason at all and only relying on himself to locate his destination. This incident happens all the time so Daniel wasn’t the least fazed by getting lost. His visit to this kingdom was to go see the princess of Aenidel and see if they match or not so there's only one place in mind that he should go.




 

For the past half an hour, Daniel had been speed walking through the crowded and busy village as quickly as his short legs could muster towards the tallest building on top of the hill, the castle. To be honest, Aenidel is tiny compared to Daniel's own country, the whole kingdom itself is only as big as Ostella’s capital city, but he never thought that he would be walking up the hill or losing sight of his parents, so he wasn't prepared for a trekking journey with his formal and suffocating attire.




 

He managed to reach halfway to the top of the hill after another half an hour of following the path and decided to slow down for a while. Daniel is still a child after all, short legs and low stamina won't be giving him any advantage at this point. He may be an alpha but he hadn't been doing his training very well so that explains the low amount of energy and extreme fatigue.

 

With the addition of a heat wave, he was bound to collapse sooner or later but willed himself to continue the long walk up the hill ever so slowly. As his vision began to blur, he wasn't focused enough to hear the sound of speeding carriage approaching nearer and nearer. He only realized that he was in trouble when the shadow of a heaving horse casted upon his figure, well it's a little too late for him to react or run to the sides now.



 

But luck and blessings were sure on his side this time as Daniel felt something heavy pushing him aside, helping him evade the life-threatening situation with just a few seconds to spare. He heard the coachman shouting profanities loudly in anger for blocking his path and making his master late before the voice disappeared into the distance but he certainly didn’t bother any of those since he had just escaped death’s grip.


 

It took the young prince a few minutes of heavy breathing and offering a silent prayer of gratitude before he realized that someone was hovering on top of him closely, hands gripping on his shoulders a bit too forcefully, also gasping for air in desperation. Daniel spent a few moments of silence just staring at the person on top of him, a young boy just like him with hair as black as a raven, eyes so dark that Daniel felt like he’s being into the abyss.


 

“Have you lost your mind?!” the other boy shouted. “You could have been trampled under the horse and wheels that no one would have recognized your face!”


 

Even his face looks gentle while furious, Daniel noted dully as the other boy continued rambling about his life and safety. Talking about death, Daniel was thankful that he certainly didn’t die or his mother would track him down to the deepest part of the underworld to give him a nice beating and an earful scoldings on dying at such a young age.


 

The boy finally removed himself on top of Daniel and tried to brush all the dirt away from his attire although it’s rather useless since they were sent rolling on the ground to evade danger and of course the stain will remain. He huffed in annoyance but still offered a hand for Daniel to take. The young prince grabbed onto the other boy’s hand to help him stand up.


 

“I am Seongwu,” the boy said.



 

“I am Pr… Daniel. My name is Daniel from Ostella, thank you for saving my life. I got lost and was searching for the castle of this kingdom. Can you perhaps show me the way?”



 

Seongwu looked rather irritated at the request but nodded nonetheless, muttering something of ‘I am late anyways so be it’ under his breath. “My horse is ill today so I couldn’t ride my carriage, I hope you don’t mind walking the way up?”


 

Walking… that will sure be tiring but Daniel readily agreed. Suddenly Seongwu inched closer and offered his handkerchief.

“You have a slight scratch on your forehead right above your left eyebrow, press this to stop the bleeding.”


 

   

Daniel was caught off guard as he accepted the cloth and dabbed it on the exact location as Seongwu had mentioned. He winced at the blotches of red displayed on the white fabric and felt sorry since Seongwu himself was bleeding and should be using the handkerchief first.


 

“I apologize for making you bleed, and for staining your clothes, also staining your handkerchief,” Daniel said dejectedly.


 

Seongwu wasn’t fazed of his own wound, a long scratch on his forearm, as he sighed and started his uphill journey on foot, leaving the prince dumbfounded.

“It’s alright, I’m a Duke in training, I should be helping people in need.”


 

Daniel ran up to catch up with the boy. “Why are you talking like an adult? We’re at least the same age so start acting like one. Before helping other people, you should consider your own safety first!”



 

“I am to serve the people once I grow up, it’s not wrong to start my practice early.”


 

The prince rolled his eyes. “I understand your generous perspective but aren’t you a bit too young to be thinking about worldly affairs? We are still kids, live a little without a burden!”



 

“Nobody is too young to start learning and applying kindness to everyone around them,” Seongwu replied with indifference, eyes still focused on the path ahead of them. “To boot, I never liked playing around.”


 

“You don’t like playing?! Are you even a human? Aren’t you an immortal witch or vampire? All children love playing and having fun!” Daniel protested.




 

Suddenly, Seongwu stopped in his steps. He looked conflicted and a bit angry. Slowly, he turned to face Daniel while balling his fist. “Sorry but not everyone is given the luxury to have a happy and carefree childhood like you do. There are people who needs to strive and work harder than everyone else because they belong to a lower rank. And even if I come from a long family heritage of Duke and Duchess, I’m still a weak and lowly omega. If I fail in my studies, If I did not live up to my rank, I will be losing my title and I would lose the only person that matters to me!”



 

The outburst certainly shocked Daniel. Being an alpha and a prince who will be inheriting a kingdom, he certainly never thought of the people’s life outside the palace. He had heard about the significant difference between the alpha and omega treatment from his teachers before but was never given the chance to witness the inequity and prejudice himself.


 

Seongwu closed his eyes for a moment and took a deep breath. Once he blinked his eyes open again, he looked calmer than before and bowed slightly. “For lashing out and losing my temper in front of a stranger like you, I apologize.”



 

After saying those words that left Daniel speechless yet again, Seongwu trailed up the winding path towards the castle on his own. More amused than before, Daniel ran up again and stopped right in front of the other to block his path. Seongwu was about to side step when Daniel also moved to the right to stop him from continuing.



 

“If you hadn’t told me about being an omega, I thought you were an alpha. So what if you’re an omega? You’re stronger than the other alphas our age and you just saved my life with your quick reflexes! You’re stronger than me!” Daniel rambled in front of Seongwu. “Also, we are not strangers now, are we? I know your name and you know mine. Isn’t that enough to be friends? And I am sorry… I never thought you’d have to go through a rough-”



 

“It’s alright,” Seongwu cuts mid sentence. “My life has got nothing to do with you, Daniel.”



 

Daniel grinned widely and extended his hand. “Let’s be friends then!”


 

Seongwu was thinking of how childish Daniel was but accepted the handshake with a small smile. He hadn’t had a friend in a while, it could be a nice change.





 

---



 

They reached the castle gates nearly during tea time. The guards standby immediately acknowledged Seongwu, who is a duke in training under the supervision of the royal tutors whilst they look a bit skeptical of Daniel. Both of the boys were separated when a tutor spotted Seongwu and immediately brought him into the castle as Daniel waved his pitiful goodbye with a tired smile. But soon, the maids and royal guards from Ostella recognized the return of their prince and cried with joy and relief as they herded the young heir inside the castle.

 

His majesty, the king of Ostella, almost teared up when he finally saw his only son that went missing a few hours prior finally showing up at the castle front doors. Daniel's mother on the other hand, is very calm. She did not utter a single scolding or words of sympathy like "we were so worried about you!" or something like "were you hurt anywhere?!" as expected of every other doting parent. The queen simply patted the young boy's head to comfort, saw the dried up blood on her son's forehead and asked the host for proper medical attention on the wound. That was all.


 

"I am alright, father. I am simply tired and hungry from the journey. Sorry to have worried all of you." Daniel said to the king as his father began fretting over him.


 

"But you have a wound on your head, my son! How could you say that you are alright? I'll behead those who did not look after you properly!"


 

The king of Aenidel walked up to the father-son duo with a huge smile that Daniel felt uncomfortable in the old man's presence.


 

"Welcome to the humble palace of Aenidel, young prince."


 

Daniel quickly fixed his stance and attire before bowing with an arm pressed against his chest. "I apologize for my inappropriate appearance and late greetings. It's an honor to meet you, your majesty. My name is Daniel."



 

According to the hierarchy of who hold more power, Prince Daniel actually does not need to offer a greeting in the first place. It should be the other way around. However, for formality sake as the king is way older than he is, Daniel followed through the habit that his mother had drilled into his brain ever since he was a young child.


 

"The pleasure is all mine." The king replied with a sly glint in his eyes that even a blind horse would notice.


 

Daniel raised his head and stared at the stranger's face in dismay but maintained the look of innocence with his bright and joyful grin. The king of Aenidel was a short man, shorter than his mother at least, and was rather plump. He had a very pale complexion and unhealthy look overall.

Must be caused by all the sleepless nights he spent thinking on what to do with his country's debts, Daniel mused in his head.



 

For a ten-year-old kid like Daniel, no one would suspect that he’s actually very much like an adult. If people know how the way he thinks, how his brain works, they would be terrified and wary of the kid after that. He thinks five times before deciding on what to do, come up with an even faster hypothesis than his peers for the endless tutoring he received at such a tender age. And of course, being a child and all, he is more sensitive to other people’s mien and hidden intentions.


 

“We will prepare a bath and new attire for you so in the meantime, would you like to play in the garden? There are cakes and other confectioneries that you might like.” the king suggested.


 

Daniel knew who’s in the garden. He walked past the green patches of grass and various shaped trees on the way to the main hall and took his time observing the new territory. The princess he’s going to marry was there, playing with her pets and other kids of noble lineage. Daniel internally sighed but agreed politely at the suggestion after sharing knowing glances with his parents. He bowed once more before being escorted out from a door at the sides that leads to the gardens.



 

Only the three adults were left alone in the main hall now, two sides having their own agenda to follow.

 

The king of Aenidel was the first to speak with impatience. “Now that the prince has been found safe and sound, why don’t we continue our discussion?”



 

----------



 

Daniel looked around the garden with curious eyes, head craning up and down, left and right, to get a proper view of the adequate green space. He could hear the sound of other children laughing along with the sound of dogs barking from the distance. From his position not far from the garden entrance, Daniel could see guards standing by a group of kids that are dressed very flamboyantly. One of them stood out with her frilly pink dress that looked like Daniel’s favorite pudding from afar.


 

Before the prince made the decision to ditch the snack time and run away, his eyes managed to find a familiar figure at the other side of the spacious garden.

 

Seongwu.


 

Daniel was of course delighted to see that his new friend was also present in the garden and was going to run towards the duke-in-training before he heard a sharp crack from that direction.

The prince froze in his steps. Eyes wide and confused.

 

Seongwu was standing alone while his other friends were sitting on the ground. A teacher was there, a long wooden stick gripped tightly on his hand. Once again, Daniel had to witness Seongwu scrunch his face to hold in the pain when the stick hits his calf. Then another hit struck his back, another hit the back of his thigh, another hit his ankles. Alongside the sound of stick hitting flesh, the laughter from the other side rang loudly in mockery.


 

The young prince glanced briefly at the group of royals and found out that they were actually laughing at the torment all along. They were snickering at somebody else’s pain. They were entertained by seeing someone tortured. That someone who is seemingly punished for their entertainment is a child! Daniel didn’t know the logic behind their messed up brains.

The abuse continued without stopping and Daniel found himself running towards Seongwu without thinking more.


 

Seongwu had been kind to him, saved him from the grip of death. Seongwu is his friend and he knows that Seongwu puts other people’s safety before his own. What did he do wrong to deserve such injurious assault? Daniel couldn’t find the answer to his own question.


 

“Stop!”

 

Every noise stopped as soon as Daniel shouted on top of his lungs and stood right in between Seongwu and the stick that was about to struck him.

 

Still heaving deep breaths, Daniel didn’t have enough focus to sense that all eyes were on him. The middle-aged man, the assumed tutor, lowered his stick but still looked wary and hostile at Daniel’s sudden appearance. Seongwu was also surprised to find Daniel standing in front of him.


 

“Please,” Daniel huffed tiredly. “Don’t hurt my friend. I don’t know what he did to make you so angry but please, don’t hit him anymore.”


 

The tutor played with the edge of his curled moustache with a sneer. The other kids sitting near the scene were holding back their snickers at the shameless plea.


 

It was Seongwu’s turn to stand in front of Daniel and quickly bowed to his tutor. “I apologize, sir. He is not from here so he doesn’t know the customs that we hold in Aenidel. Please pardon him.”


 

Daniel was even more confused than before, eyebrows knitting together while looking at all the red marks on Seongwu’s arms.


 

“Well well, a guest from another kingdom?” a high-pitched voice piped in unexpectedly.


 

Everyone turned their heads to the owner of said voice who had just came over from the other side of the garden. Daniel was going to glare but held back.

 

“Your highness,” everyone chorused a greeting to the young princess dressed in bright pink dress.

 

“So, if you are not from here, where are you from?” the young princess inquired as she slowly circled both Seongwu and Daniel.


 

“He is from the kingdom of Ostella, my lady.” Seongwu answered, head still bowed deeply to the noble.


 

“I wasn’t asking you,” the princess simply said while flapping her fan to her face and clicked her tongue. Her stare that was directed to Seongwu was so menacing that Daniel thought he saw a devil for a moment.

“Now, what would a stable boy from Ostella be doing in the royal gardens?”


 

Internally, Daniel was gaping and squinting his eyes in total bewilderment. Him? A stable boy? Then the prince looked down on his body and realized that he looked very much like a horse that had jumped down to a puddle of mud and did not bother to wash it away. Daniel thanked the host’s very generous effort in keeping his appearance presentable. Yes, he is sarcastic like that. Not only are they unprepared for accepting guests, they did an awful job in cleaning his wounds that the wounded prince did everything himself. What did his parents see in the people of Aenidel anyway?


 

“I know you’re not mute, so speak up.” The princess demanded again while crossing her arms. “Or are you not taught to properly speak to a royalty?”


 

“Didn’t you hear the princess?!” a young boy in maroon clothes raised his voice in an act to appear loyal to the young lady. The rest of nobles and students in training agreed with multiple ‘yes!’


 

Daniel snorted while hiding his growing smile behind his hand.


 

“Did you just…” another girl in disgusting green dress trailed off, probably equally insulted.


 

Daniel took a step forward nearer to the princess while the palace guards were ready to strike him if anything happens. “To think that you are a marriage candidate for the crown prince of Ostella. I pity him.”

 

The princess glared at Daniel as she harrumphed. Loudly. “I am not a candidate! I am already betrothed the crown prince himself. He was the one who pleaded his parents and mine to have my hand in marriage!”


 

This time Daniel could no longer hold back and finally laughed uncontrollably as he clutched his stomach, causing everybody else to stare curiously at him.  “Oh my! That was the funniest thing I’ve heard thus far!”


 

“Princess Hanna, he should be brought to court! He’s tarnishing your name and reputation as the kingdom’s only princess!”

 

“Send him to the court!”

 

“Why don’t you just discipline him right here in front of everyone to see!”

 

“Yes, humiliate him!”


 

By now, the nobles and non-nobles were united into one as they had a common bullying-material that is Daniel himself. Daniel can’t really stop thinking of how dead everyone could be when they know he’s not a mere stable boy. He sighed tiredly, watching the whole area becomes crowded with the talks of how to punish him.

 

The princess, seeing Daniel still act so mighty and proud with a small smirk on his lips, grew agitated. Her breath becomes harsh as she stomped the grass beneath her feet and approached the crown prince very quickly. Having been embarrassed in front of her people like that, of course she couldn’t take it.

 

When Hanna was close enough, she raised her skinny hand and aimed to hit Daniel with her fan. But then Seongwu just had to be the one who saves him all the time, doesn’t he?

 

With a blink of an eye, the princess had struck Seongwu’s cheek with her folding fan.


 

“Your highness, please forgive him!” Seongwu pleaded as if he wasn’t hit just seconds ago. “He is close to his highness the crown prince that is why he said such words. However, they have different cultures as us so he didn’t know any better. Please have mercy.”


 

Hearing that, the princess realized that Daniel might spout nonsense to the crown prince if they were really close and make her sound bad. But on the other hand, she still needs to showcase her power and authority to the nearby spectators. She cleared and signalled for her guards to come closer.

“Get them to the greenhouse. Do not let anyone enter or leave the place. Only let them out after sunset.”


 

The two guards nodded obediently and dragged both Seongwu and Daniel away from the smug group of children and unsympathetic tutor. Daniel imprints all their faces into his brain.