Chapter 2

The Gifted

Jimin stares at the plate of scrambled eggs and toast. Since that nightmare he had during class two days ago, he could not shake off the feeling that something big was approaching.

“Did you have the nightmare again?” asks Namjoon.

“No,” replies Jimin, “That’s just it, I don’t know if it was just a nightmare, it felt so real. Dad was able to find out what kind of demon it was?”

“That drawing you provided was enough for the Covent to look up, but nothing came up in the database.”

“Great,” says Jimin, disappointed.

“Aren’t Gifted ones like knowledge about every existing demon in the world?” asks Namjoon.

“Well, not precisely,” replies the mom, “The knowledge Gifted ones are taught are just basic maybe this demon is one the Covent has never come to face before?”

“Either way,” says the dad, “be careful and the Covent said they sent a Guardian to your school, have you meet them?”

“Guardian?” asks Namjoon.

“Every Gifted one has a Guardian- they are there for guidance and well to also to make sure you don’t forget your mission,” replies his father.

“So basically Namjoon-hyung they are babysitters,” says Jimin sarcastically, “I hope they didn’t send someone annoying.”

 

As Jimin waves at Namjoon as he drives away, he spots Taehyung and Tzu-yu. Glad to see similar faces in the morning, he waves to them as they walk to where he was standing.

“Hi,” he says greeting them.

“Hey,” they reply.

“You won’t believe what happened?” says Taehyung.

“Something happened?”

“Yeah, they just discovered Miss. Harold’s body this morning dead.”

“Miss. Harold, our biology teacher?”

“Yeah,” says Tzu- you, “It’s not in the news yet but our father is a detective, so he told us since we have or had a class with her, don’t tell anyone though.”

“This is the third body isn’t it?” asks Tzu-yu

“Wait this has happened before?”

“Yeah, this school is pretty freaky- three body in two months,” says Taehyung, “I’m telling you something is going on.”

“Oh, Tae doesn’t start with the supernatural crap,” says Tzu-yu, walking away. Taehyung follows Taehyung, as Jimin remained still, many thoughts running through his mind.

“Hey, are you coming?” shouts Taehyung.

Jimin picks up his pace to catch up to them, “Hey, you guys know how Miss. Harold and the others died?”

“Well, he said she was stabbed and well I don’t remember the others?”

“I do,” says Taehyung, “They were all stabbed to the heart.”

“Of course, you do,” says Tzu-yu, sarcastically, “You keep a weird journal of the murders that happen in San Francisco.”

“Not all murders, only the unexplainable ones,” says Taehyung.

“I would like to see your journal,” says Jimin.

“Don’t entertain him,” says Tzu-yu.

“Let’s go to the library they have good wi-fi- I have it online,” says Taehyung.

“I’ll see you losers later,” says Tzu- yu walking away.

 

“So, why are you so interested anyway?” asks Jimin as they make their way to the library.

“Um, my dad is a detective, so I always use to read his cases, some of them just stuck I guess,” replies Taehyung, “You must think I’m a freak?”

“Freak, not at all,” says Jimin, staring at Jimin, curious. He can sense there was more to Taehyung’s story than he is letting on, but he decides not to press too much, not wanting to scare him away or even expose himself.

 

Taehyung pushes open the heavy swing door and Jimin walks in, as Taehyung follows from behind. It was silent aside from small whispers coming from the students sitting at the tables and some at the computers.

“Hello there,” comes a voice from behind them as the man approaches them. They turn around, and a young handsome Korean man around the age of twenty-something wearing a navy blue collared loose long sleeve shirt and black pants. “Do you need assistance?”

Jimin stares at the man, something felt familiar about him, the man smiles at him with a knowing look.

“Um…we’re just going to use the wi-fi,” replies Taehyung.

“Alright go ahead but keep it quiet,” says the man, “Oh, I’m new the librarian, Min Yoongi, you can come to me if you need assistance with anything.”

Jimin and Taehyung exchange glances surprised that the new librarian was so young. They nod their heads and slowly make their way towards the couches. Jimin glances over to the help desk, making eye contact with the Librarian Yoongi, who smiles at him. Jimin smiles back, quickly averting his eyes as Taehyung logs in to his laptop. Jimin watches him as he pulls up a file on his computer- within the folders was another folder. He clicks on it, pulling up pages.

He turns to Jimin, “I have kinda a lot of which ones do you want to see?”

“Um, the stabbings the ones connected to Miss. Harold” replies Jimin.

“Oh, well there are two bodies both found in August, few weeks apart, first one was the janitor- Tommy Wilson and the second was a sophomore cheerleader, Rachel Kelly. Both stabbed to the heart.”

“Hmm? Nothing unusual though why mark it down?”

“Well, they were never missing, they were just found dead tied with ropes, but the thing is…” Taehyung’s voice trails laughing, “You’re going to think I’m crazy, but I could’ve sworn I thought I saw Rachel a day after she was found dead.”

“After?”

“Yes, it was after school for a few seconds but I’m crazy maybe it was someone resembling her.”

“Maybe not,” says Jimin, “You have a really good eye, you compiled all these?”

“Complied not really, they're just notes I put together,” he says, feeling shy. Jimin sighs, three murders in two-month, stab to the heart, tied with ropes. A ritual? What kind though?

Um…say, where were the bodies found?”

“Um…” says Taehyung scrolling up, “Um, the janitor was found in in the storage room, Rachel in the woods near the cemetery near the school and Miss. Harold in her home- but by the pictures on my father has it looked like she was dead for quite some time.”

“That’s impossible,” says Jimin, “We had a class with her a few days ago.”

Taehyung shrugs his shoulders, “Anyway, a lot of weird has been happening here going back ages ago, unexplainable.”

“That’s strange,” says Jimin.

 

Throughout the first period, Jimin could get what Taehyung told him about seeing that cheerleader, Kelly alive a day after her body was found. If he really saw her, it would mean someone took on her identity, but their death was very mundane. What kind of demon uses a normal weapon, such as a knife? Miss Harold’s body was recently found but her body is as if she has been dead for weeks, that is impossible. Jimin sighs, deciding it would be best to do some research in the library and see what he can find out.

 

He opens the door to his second period, heading to his seat, his mind occupied and oblivious to everything else around him. The tardy bell goes off as kids rush in the class before the teacher, Mrs. Gomez notices them.

“Hey,” says Tzu-yu, sitting at the desk beside him, Jimin lost in his own thoughts ignores her.

“Hello?”

“Huh?”

“So, did Tae show you his freaky journal?” she whispers.

“Oh, I think he is very detailed,” replies Jimin.

“Oh, don’t tell me a cutie like you is into weird things like that,” she says, shuddering, disgusted.

“Good morning guys,” greets Mrs. Gomez and Tzu-yu turns around facing the front.

 

Mrs. Gomez’s voice becoming distant as she goes on about grammar, Jimin taps his pencil to stay focused. English was the one topic, he still has not grasped, why is it part of the curriculum? What demon ties their victim before killing them?

“Um, can you stop tapping your pencil?” whispers a voice but loud enough for Jimin to hear.

Jimin looks up, stunned- in front of him sat a Korean boy with dark slightly disheveled brown hair, strong brows, and large doe eyes. His face was absurdly handsome - with piercing intense glare. The boy was sitting at the desk in front of Jimin, facing him, with a slight smile. Jimin chuckles embarrassed but could not be mad at the boy’s smile got wider.

“Sorry.”

“It’s fine,” he says, turning around and facing the front again. Jimin sighs, puzzled, the past few days the desk in front of him was empty. He would have noticed him for sure.

 

The lunch bell rang, and Jimin quickly puts his books in his backpack.

He turns to Taehyung, “Um, I have to go to the library really quick, I’ll see you guys later.”

“Jim…” says Taehyung but Jimin was already heading towards the door before he could finish his sentence. Jimin reaches the library and pushes open the doors walking in. There were not many students in the library, he glances over to the help desk, but the librarian was not there only another student with a badge saying student aide around his neck. Jimin sighs, he was hoping he would see the Librarian, wondering why he seemed so familiar? But that was something to be worried about another time.

 

***

As soon as school was over, Jimin decides to go to Miss. Harold’s apartment complex after finding the address on the public website at the library. He hated not being a step ahead of things, while he was busy figuring out the city, three people turned up dead. He could not help but blame himself.

He gets off the taxi and turns around the corner, staring at the apartment that was taped off with a yellow tape. He stares at the high-beams in front of the apartment, the police were still lurking around. Jimin sighs, he will have to come back later tonight.

 

Jimin greets his mom in the kitchen as soon as he gets home.

“Where is father?” he asks,

“Work,” replies his mother, “Namjoon is in the basement.”

“Basement?”

“Yes, he said he has something for you,” she says.

 

Jimin sighs, heading to the basement is a safe place protected by wards, to a normal human eye it appears just like a normal old dusty basement but to those who wield magic, not just Gifted ones can see through the wards. The basement contained computers with information about all the supernatural phenomena that occur in San Francisco. He was not a computer person, that is his older brother Namjoon’s specialty as someone who did not wield magic. But as a Park, even though he was not a magic user he has been around magic longer and knows his way around it. Aside from the computers, the basement contained books on demons especially the Demon Journal that was passed down to him from his parents, former Gifted witches. The Demon Journal is a large powerful book Gifted ones receives from their family, that contains information on witchcraft, entries on magical beings such as demons, warlocks and many more with many potion and spells.

“Hey,” says Namjoon coming from behind a bookcase, “Did you hear about a teacher from your school found dead?”

“Yeah, I just heard about it,” says Jimin, “What’s up?”

“I believe you got a shapeshifter on your hands,” says Namjoon, sitting at a chair in front of the computer.

“Shapeshifter?” says Jimin, “How do you know that?”

“Well, I have been researching Miss. Harold’s death and it is connected to two other deaths, the school’s janitor and a cheerleader,” says Namjoon, “But that’s not the strange part, I hacked into the apartment complex security cameras and pulled up old footage from two weeks ago, come to watch this.” Jimin walks over to where his brother was sitting, staring at the video at the computer, look at her eyes in the camera.

Jimin snickers, “A camera flare?”

“Yap,” says Namjoon, “If they found Miss. Harold’s body it must mean…”

“It already found another victim and shade skin,” interrupts Jimin, “Thanks, you just saved me a lot of reading and time.”

Namjoon laughs, “Only cause my classes haven’t started yet, I have free time.”

“If it follows the same pattern, the person it’s impersonating right now must also be someone connected to Sun High School.”

“Yeah, that’s what it looks like,” says Namjoon, “You’ll have to map out Miss. Harold’s last steps.”

“Yeah, good thing I have friends,” he says, “From what I learned, shapeshifter keeps their victims alive for a few days, there is a chance whoever they took is still alive.”

“It varies though, so be careful." 

"I will," says Jimin. His stomach growls and Namjoon burst out laughing, 

"How about eating first," he teases. Jimin rolls his eyes, walking out of the basement to his room, 

"Shapeshifter huh," he mutters underneath his breath.