Touch

Invisible To You

 

Chanyeol stood next to Baekhyun’s bed. He wasn’t trying to be a stalker or a creep. It was just that he couldn’t sleep, literally, and had nothing else to do than watch as Baekhyun slept through the early morning, making little sounds every now and then. Chanyeol had inspected the small apartment thoroughly during the night, even though he soon found out there really wasn’t that much to see. Baekhyun didn’t have a lot of personal belongings, at least not where Chanyeol could find them, so he guessed that he had moved in here not too long ago. Sure, his clothes hung inside the closet, and a PlayStation was carefully installed inside the TV cabinet, but that was about it for personal items. No pictures decorated the walls, the microwave was still wrapped in plastic, there were no cushions on the couch, no carpet on the floor. The place was just a house, not a home yet.

 

Baekhyun whined, almost like a puppy, as he rolled over onto his side. The movement made his hair fall over his forehead and his arm hang over the edge of the bed. Chanyeol had only been standing there for about half an hour now, but he already felt bored again. When would Baekhyun wake up and do something!

 

As if on cue, an alarm went off. Baekhyun sat up straight in his bed, messy blonde hair in front of his eyes as he blinked a couple of times. Then he stretched his arms above his head with a big yawn before swinging his legs out of bed and landing his small feet on the cold floor. After he got dressed (Chanyeol gave him some privacy by making himself disappear), Chanyeol accompanied him to the kitchen where he prepared his morning cup of coffee. So he’s really an addict, Chanyeol thought as he watched Baekhyun take a careful sip.

 

“Ah!” Baekhyun yelped. “Why am I always so impatient!” He placed the steaming cup on the counter and started collecting everything he needed for another day of work at Cafe Universe. When Baekhyun thought he was ready, he downed his now lukewarm coffee in one go and headed outside.

 

Chanyeol shook his head slightly, amused at Baekhyun’s confusion: the young man had closed the door of his small apartment three times, every time going back to fetch something he forgot. Finally, after he had fetched his wallet, scarf, and lastly his phone, Baekhyun locked the door behind him and headed for the metro station.

 

Chanyeol skipped ahead and disappeared. He didn’t feel like walking all the way to and from the metro, not even now that he couldn’t experience any pain in his legs anymore. He re-appeared on an empty chair inside Cafe Universe. Luckily, his friends weren’t there this time. He didn’t want to cope with the feeling of missing them today, or, rather, with the feeling of them not missing him. So while he waited for Baekhyun to arrive and entertain him, he decided to take up something he hadn’t tried for a long time. Touching.

 

He had experimented with his abilities as a ghost during the first few months after his death. Chanyeol had learned, for example, how to disappear and re-appear in the desired place. It had asked a lot of concentration and practice, but eventually he had gotten the hang of it. Appearing worked intuitively: it was like walking with your eyes closed but sensing where a tree or person would pop up.

 

With making himself audible or visible, it was completely different. It wasn’t a question of trial and error, of guessing where he would end up and adjusting his technique after seeing the result. He simply didn’t know where to start, as if he didn’t know how to press the on-button. Chanyeol had attempted countless times to talk to people or touch objects, but to no avail. And so over time, Chanyeol had given up on making himself present among people.

 

Now, bored out of his mind, he decided to give it another try. He confidently walked over to the bookshelf at the front of the cafe and picked out a book. Determined, he focused all his attention on its red spine. The noises in the background seemed to fade away as Chanyeol concentrated. He reached out his hand, index finger pointing forward. Now...just...touch it. His finger met the book and for a second, Chanyeol thought he had done it. But then, pushing further, his hand went straight through the material. Chanyeol sighed. Of course. He went back to his seat with his head hanging low. I guess I’m doomed to live like this for… god knows how long.

 

When Baekhyun walked in, Chanyeol sprung up from his seat and raced towards him.

 

Finally, you’re here! He said, forgetting for a second that Baekhyun couldn’t hear him.

 

Almost like a puppy, Chanyeol followed Baekhyun into the office. I thought you’d never come!

 

Baekhyun took off his scarf and coat and hung it over one of the chairs in the room. Chanyeol leaned against the door as he watched Baekhyun put on his apron. You better make today interesting. Like, spill some coffee on a customer to make me laugh or something. Chanyeol smiled at his own thoughts. Baekhyun wrapped the apron’s ribbon around his waist and tied it on his back with a messy knot. Chanyeol pointed at Baekhyun. I don’t think you’re supposed to be able to wrap it around your waist two times. Baekhyun ruffled through his hair and headed for the door. Are you eating enough? Chanyeol continued. You know, I think you should eat more.

 

Baekhyun rested his hand on the doorknob and froze. A warm sensation washed over Chanyeol as he realized Baekhyun’s hand was touching his arm. Chanyeol stood so close to Baekhyun that he saw the smaller stiffen. He quickly moved to the side to end their contact, but the blond didn’t move. Instead, he just stood there. Chanyeol observed his frowned eyebrows and slightly parted lips, and was surprised to find himself thinking that Baekhyun was… beautiful.

 

“What…” Baekhyun whispered to the air. “What was that?”

 

It was me.

Baekhyun’s fingers lingered on the doorknob for a couple more seconds. But then he shook his head and opened the door to the cafe. Chanyeol trailed behind him, trying to collect his thoughts. As Baekhyun took his place behind the counter, the taller stood with his hands in his pockets. Why did it feel so different when this young man made contact with him? Others walking through him accidentally left him shivering, yet now, and yesterday when Baekhyun had walked in, it didn’t feel uncomfortable that at all. On the contrary, a warm and pleasant sensation had filled his body. Baekhyun’s touch felt like sunlight brushing his skin. It was fragile, barely a feeling at all, but it was undeniably there. It had come the closest to feeling that Chanyeol has experienced in a long time.

 

He wanted to feel it again.

 

I’ll figure you out, Byun Baekhyun. Chanyeol said as he watched Baekhyun juggling cups and coffee filters. He shrugged. I have plenty of time. I’ll figure you out.

 

“Uhm, excuse me?” A lady came up to the counter, almost slamming her mug down on the counter. She impatiently tapped the wooden surface with her long nails. Baekhyun, doing his shift alone, ran up to her. Chanyeol took a step closer.

 

“How can I help you?”

 

“This is NOT a lactose-free macchiato.” She pointed violently at the untouched mug.

 

Baekhyun blinked confusedly, looking from the cup to the lady. “How can you tell when you haven’t tasted it though?”

 

The lady’s eyes fumed. Chanyeol saw Baekhyun’s hands nervously rubbing the ribbon of his apron.

 

“You listen up boy, I have been coming here every day for five years now,” she leaned over the counter, “and you have been working here for two days.” She poked his chest with her bony finger. “And you’re telling me I don’t know my macchiato?”

 

Baekhyun gulped as the woman raised her voice and people started turning their heads toward the scene. Gosh, Chanyeol thought, can’t she leave him alone…

 

“I’m so sorry, Miss.” Baekhyun clenched his jaws. “I’ll make you a new one.”

 

Just throw the coffee in her face, to be honest, Baekhyun. She probably deserves it.

 

“Oh, just so you can ruin it again? Didn’t think so, boy!” The woman placed her hands on her hips, almost folding in half as she laughed in a shrill voice.

 

Baekhyun’s eyes flashed with confusion. “I’m- I’m so sorry, I will-”

 

A splash of brown liquid stained Baekhyun’s apron a couple of seconds later. The woman put down the now empty mug, lifting her head in an arrogant manner. “Don’t bother.”

 

She left Baekhyun standing there. His apron was soaked with coffee and his lower arms were turning red from the heat. Everyone in the cafe slowly turned their gaze from the scene back to their own cups of coffee. Chanyeol balled his fists while watching it all happen. He started heading for the front door to follow that woman outside, he would teach her a lesson, how dare she be so rude…

 

“I-... Excuse me, I will be right back.” Baekhyun murmured to the next person in line before running towards the office room. Hearing the trembling in Baekhyun’s voice, Chanyeol stopped in his tracks. He disappeared and reappeared inside the back room, where Baekhyun was already taking of his apron. Chanyeol sat down on the small desk, his feet touching the floor thanks to his long legs.

 

“It is day two and this happens,” Baekhyun sighed.

 

I know right, that woman was arrogant. Just who does she think she is? Chanyeol threw his hands up in anger.

 

Baekhyun took out a fresh apron from the closet. “I just have to keep it together until my shift ends.”

 

When’s that? Chanyeol asked.

 

“Just two more hours. I can do this.” Baekhyun headed back inside, Chanyeol on his tail. In his hurry to get back to work, however, he had forgotten to fasten the ribbons of his apron. Chanyeol shook his head at the sight of the two loose ribbons dangling against the smaller’s legs. Without thinking, he reached out to Baekhyun’s back, taking the fabric into his hands and tying a knot.

 

Baekhyun turned around. He twisted his upper body to look at his back. Confusedly, his eyebrows knitted together. He blinked a couple of times, reaching for the knot that had seemingly appeared out of nowhere.

 

Oh , Chanyeol said. That wasn’t supposed to happen. He isn’t supposed to see that! Chanyeol placed his hands in his hair. Oh oh oh ...

 

Baekhyun gently touched the ribbons tied on his back, his nose scrunched up in curiosity. He lifted his head and scanned the room as if he was searching for a clue. But at that moment, a customer coughed loudly, trying to get his attention. Baekhyun touched the ribbons one last time before turning to the customer and taking her order.

 

Chanyeol watched as the blond worked the rest of his shift in relative calmness. Chanyeol’s heart, however, was racing. He had touched something for the first time in over a year. He had not only touched the ribbons but had held them in his hands, moving them to tie a messy knot on Baekhyun’s back.

 

The corner of his mouth lifted up into a hesitant smile. He could touch again.