The Story Ends: Her Trip

The Trip
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

               When was the last time that she went on a trip? Did she even remember?

              She tried to think about the last time that she had fun with her friends, family, or by herself. It had been a year, she realized. Nayeon had just graduated from her college life, said goodbye to her friends, lecturers, campus, and her student life. Now she tried to find a job. Unfortunately, she always failed the interviews, she wondered why. Maybe they didn’t like her dress? Maybe her voice was too loud? Maybe her face was too young? Or maybe her life just ? She assumed that maybe the last reason was right.

               She was standing on a long bridge, looking at the river that was reflected of the city night light. It was beautiful, yet, it was blur, not clear and dark. Perhaps, it also reflected about her life too. She was a perfect student, she achieved the best score, yet, no company looked at her. After sighing for the countless times, she looked at her phone, scrolling on Facebook.  All of her friends posted about how happy their lives were, some of them even had families now. Of course, she was happy for them but felt pity for herself. She refreshed her newsfeed again, and something had caught her eyes.

               It was the account named ‘Yoo Jeongyeon’, she had just changed her Profile Picture. Nayeon’s mind went blank for a second, she realized that she hadn’t talked with this girl quite for a long time. The girl who was from her trip last year. Nayeon remembered her cute short hair, her cool small face, her long slim body as nice as a model’s, her fair skin, her smile, and her lovable shyness.

               After the day at the airport, they exchanged Facebook accounts and chatted with each other every single day or every time, as long as they could make time for the chat. Three months of chatting, things were changed, their lives. Nayeon was in her senior year, Jeongyeon was also in her junior year. Both of them were busy with college life, they barely made time for each other. Soon, they forgot about each other because of the mountains of assignments and projects. Nayeon, from time to time, she remembered about Jeongyeon too, but she never saw Jeongyeon’s status online again. That’s why she didn’t bother to chat to her anymore.

              Back to the present, Nayeon was looking at the profile picture of Jeongyeon. It was just a smile bear cartoon with colorful background. Such a childish picture, thought Nayeon. Soon she thought again, whether to chat to her or not. But it would be awkward because they had not talked for months, it was almost a year. Would it be awkward for Jeongyeon? She never knew, but what she clearly knew, it would be awkward for her… herself. Nayeon locked the phone and walk back to her home.

               The night had passed, the morning had come. Nayeon got up lazily. Today she’s going to have some interviews again. Even she failed a ton, but she never gave up. Getting all dressed up, she left home to the company. She was waiting for her turn, and walking back and forth, in her white blouse, black jacket and skirt. She looked mature today.

            When she was about to turn off her phone, she got a notification from her messenger. Still having some minutes before the interview, she opened the message. There, her eyes became wide as opened because of the shock. She received a message from Jeongyeon. It was unexpected, not really that unexpected if the message didn’t say that Jeongyeon was at the airport of her country, waiting for her to be there.

                  Nayeon hesitated, it’s time to do the interview now, but that little girl was waiting for her. After thinking for a minute, she left the company immediately. Soon she arrived the airport. She was looking for that tall figure that she met one year ago. She was quite nervous, what was she going to do when she met Jeongyeon? Would it be awkward again? For her? Or for her, Jeongyeon? Nayeon stopped her overwhelm thought, when someone poked her shoulder from the back.

             She turned back and met a pair of black eyes staring straight into her eyes. Her heart skipped a bit, when she recognized those eyes owner. She missed those eyes a lot. Jeongyeon, the shy girl she met from the trip, now her short hair got longer, maybe she got taller too? Nayeon had to raised her head to meet her eyes though.

“Did you gain some heights?” the first sentence from Nayeon’s mouth for the first time.

“Or you’re just shorter than before?” Jeongyeon backfired with a little smirk from , earning a frown from Nayeon.

“Wow, now you talk back to me? Time flies, people sure change!” Nayeon talked back

“Not all. My appearance, talk, and personality might change but something of me never changes.” Jeongyeon released a wise speech.

“What is it? You sure know how to talk like an adult now. You look like a grown up.” Nayeon said and looked from the top to the bottom of Jeongyeon, she really looked mature, with her big boots, dark blue jeans, long brown coat with animal fur as its collar, and her neck-length hair.

“Well, I may look mature now, but not as mature as you :P Where did you just come from? Lmao” Jeongyeon said and poined to Nayeon’s clothes. Right, Nayeon was still in her suit for her interview. Feeling embarrassed, Nayeon refused to answer Jeongyeon’s question and lead the younger out of the airport.

       As they walked out of the terminal, Nayeon took her phone out of her purse and typed something, earned Jeongyeon’s attention.

“What are you doing?” the short haired girl asked

“Calling a taxi of course”

“What? You still take a taxi? Even in your own country?” Jeongyeon was surprised

“Why not? I don’t have a car.” Nayeon shrugged

“What the… I thought you had one, since your uniform is really something… high class, classy…”

“Oh can you shut up about my clothes?” Nayeon yelled a bit, then Jeongyeon didn’t say anything else. Well… Nayeon was still the oldest after all, and it didn’t matter how Jeongyeon changed, she was still under Nayeon’s command. Jeongyeon waited for the taxi to arrive silently.

             After getting on the taxi, they arrived a clothes shop. Of course, Nayeon needed to change her uniform as soon as possible, in order to avoid Jeongyeon’s weird question again. Since it’s Autumn, they could feel the cold wind was here already, so Nayeon chose the thick and fur fashion, not very much different from Jeongyeon, except hers was a bit of girly things.

              Now their outfits were matched, no more questions to be asked. Nayeon took a glance at Jeongyeon, noticing that she had not spoken.

“So you come alone? A trip?”

“Y-yeah, trip.” Jeongyeon’s eyes dancing on the ground, like she just told a lie.

“You’re really good at picking date for your trip.” Nayeon rolled her eyes

“What?? What’s wrong with the date? You’re busy???” Jeongyeon widen her eyes. She didn’t ask Nayeon before she came here. Now she felt a little guilty.

“Nah, not anymore. I think I should take a break too. Thank to you, I have an excuse to avoid my responsibility.” Nayeon chuckled.

“ayyy, come on… if you’re busy, just tell me, I’m ok though.” Jeongyeon looked at Nayeon’s dry face, then she murmured to herself “But it’s not like I can decide the date by myself…” Nayeon didn’t hear her.

“You’re ok?? Please, Jeongyeonie, you’re just a child. Remember when I left you at the carousal? Your face was sour, you looked like you could cry at anytime. Pffff you were so cute when you pouted. Hehehe. That’s why I knew I had to buy the cotton candy to comfort you. And imagine leaving you alone in a foreign airport, I couldn’t.” Nayeon laughed and cried about Jeongyeon’s dorky personality back then, made Jeongyeon’s face become a tomato.

“Shut up! Enough with that! I’m not like that anymore!” Jeongyeon yelled

“Enough with it? Why? It’s the only memory we shared, the only thing we did together.” She was right, if she didn’t mention about that, they would not have anything to talk about.

“I-I know… but… it’s embarrassing for me.” Jeongyeon felt a little guilty again.

“embarrassing? How about the time that you shouted asking for my facebook account at the airport? Didn’t you think it’s embarrassing too?” Nayeon digged another embarrassing story of Jeongyeon

“WTF!! OMG STOP! After all this time, you’re still good at teasing as ! I hate you!!” Jeongyeon pouted hard, and covered her ears with her hands and walked away. Nayeon couldn’t help but laughed at Jeongyeon’s cute angry walk, soon she followed the angry ostrich.

           Jeongyeon’s unexpected visit caused a little problem to Nayeon’s brain. They had to spend an hour at a nearby café to decide where to go. Nayeon got headache because the conversation went like…

“Where do you want to go?”

“Anywhere is fine.”

“Don’t you have a specific place to visit?”

“I don’t.”

“Seriously? Like the place that you really want to go, you’re curious about that’s why you decide to come here?”

“Like… your house?”

“………”

“So? I’m really curious how your house look like. Also your room, can I have a tour in the toilet as well-?”

“YOO JEONGYEON!!!”

             After a headache conversation(for Nayeon only), they decided to use a tourist website. They should have used it earlier. Since now it’s a little late for breakfast, they went for brunch. Jeongyeon noticed Nayeon didn’t eat much like the time they ate together at the amusement park. Of course, Jeongyeon still ate the chicken thigh as before as usual, thought Nayeon.

“You eat less.” Jeongyeon talked while chewing the food in .

“You still eat a lot.” Nayeon said as she put one piece of the beef into carelessly.

“As usual. So how about you? Diet?”

“More like losing appetite…” said the long hair girl while she played with her left-over veggies.

“Eh? Why?”

“Nothing~ Just mood swing.” Nayeon shrugged it off. Actually she had a hard time, a lot of hard times. She’s stressed out about the jobs, the interview. She lost appetite since in college, her senior year. She didn’t want to tell Jeongyeon about this, that she was just a loser, useless graduated college student.

“How about you? How is your school life?” thinking about college, Jeongyeon was still a college student. Nayeon decided to ask her, even she tried to avoid this kind of topic.

“Me? Good…” Jeongyeon awkwardly answered

“Good? I guess, it’s not good then. Still timid, and shy shy shy? At this rate, you won’t make any friends. Don’t be too shy, college life needs a lot of people to depend on, like help each other.” Nayeon’s wise advice

“No… I’m really good… since I don’t go to school often…” Jeongyeon said

“What??”

“Let’s say I’m home schooled. And don’t ask me why, it’s a private reason.” Jeongyeon smiled.

“Okay…” Nayeon looked at the awkward Jeongyeon a second then drank her orange juice.

             The trip began. They went to a central market, the biggest local market of the country. Both of them were not into shopping but they just went there to look around. There were a lot of stuffs that Jeongyeon had never seen before. They enjoyed to see how the local people live their lives. They walked pass the accessary store, Jeongyeon saw the animal bracelet, she stopped walking and took a look on it. Nayeon noticed the younger girl left behind, then she walked back to the store. Jeongyeon wanted to buy one, but Nayeon didn’t want her to. Nayeon said there was plenty of this kind of bracelet in Jeongyeon’s country. However, Jeongyeon protested that she never saw one in her country, Nayeon talked back that was because of Jeongyeon never going out of her home. After a short argument, Nayeon let her buy one. She just didn’t want Jeongyeon to buy unnecessary stuff. End of the market tour, they went to the next target.

             The young women arrived their destination, they came out of the car, and Nayeon paid for the taxi. Nayeon said it’s her family tradition, the host was supposed to take care of the guest. National Museum was the place. Jeongyeon asked Nayeon again if it was the one they went together last time(?). During those 3 months, both of them went out together a lot, by Face Time of course. They kept the video call on all the time. Last time, they went to the national museum of their countries at the same time. Nayoen had to wait for Jeongyeon to finish her tour since Nayeon’s museum was smaller and quicker to look around.

“So this is the museum you went last time?”

“We went. Of course. There’re only one here.” Nayeon shrugged. Compared to Jeongyeon’s country, her country was way smaller, poorer. It’s a developing country after all.

“There’s a bigger one in another city. That city is more fun than this capital city, but it’s too far away.” Nayeon said

“Really? Too sad, I can’t go there.” Jeongyeon spoke in a sad tone.

“How many days you’ve got?” Nayeon still didn’t know how many days Jeongyeon planned to stay and she completely forgot to ask her from the beginning.

“……I only have this one day….” Jeongyeon looked down sadly.

“What?” Nayeon’s heart broke into pieces.

“I actually come here to do something else, but I make time to meet you, since I’m already here.” Jeongyeon stated

“Oh……” Nayeon was a little upset. After all she was not the main reason why Jeongyeon was here. She thought she was…

Then both of them were silent. They didn’t say anything. Nayeon kept leading the walk and looked at all those statues without interest. She lost in her thought. Jeongyeon knew something was off but she didn’t know what was wrong.

“Nayeon!” Jeongyeon called her in loud voice. It’s the first time that she called out her name like that since she arrived here. Nayeon was surprised a bit and turned back to Jeongyeon.

“Hmm?” she raised an eyebrow

“Which statue that has SIX PACKS, and made you SCREAM last time?” Jeongyeon said in Nayeon’s country language CLEARLY, SLOWLY, and LOUDLY enough to make everyone nearby to hear her.

“WHAT?” Nayeon’s face was pale and then turned to red, she was embarrassed and the crowd was looking at her and Jeongyeon now.

“I said, which statue that has SIX PACKS—“ Having not finished the whole sentence again, Jeongyeon’s mouth was blocked by Nayeon’s hand.

“Yoo Jeongyeon, when did you learn this language? And what the hell are you trying to do?” Nayeon arm-locked Jeongyeon’s neck like they were buddies and whispered to her ears.

“Hehehe, I’ve been practicing this sentence a lot, I even asked expert to teach me. I saved it for this day” Jeongyeon whispered back with a playful smirk.

“Damn you. I’ll take you to a local strip club and sell you to an old man.” Nayeon threatened.

“Lol, before selling me, can you try me first? To let me have some experience, so that you can sell me for higher price. ;)” Jeongyeon winked to Nayeon and made her blush hard. Nayeon freed Jeongyeon from her dead lock and quickly walked faster with her red face. Leaving Jeongyeon satisfied with her tease.

“Hey wait for me!” Jeongyeon ran after her.

          After National Museum, it should be the Royal Palace. Not many countries opened their Royal Palace to the public, but this country did. Jeongyeon was amazed and excited to be in one. Nayeon kept rolling her eyes and explaining again and again to Jeongyeon that it was nothing special like she expected. They only showed the tourists a square of the palace. Jeongyeon was still delighted to touch the ground of t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter