four

Can I Stay...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To celebrate the debut anniversary of the D&E subunit, I've written a very special final chapter for you all, so I hope you enjoy! ♥

***

The brunet had woken up sometime around midnight, shocked but pleasantly surprised to find himself wrapped in his husband's arms as they slept. It instantly brought a smile to his face, and he snuggled even closer to Hyukjae, savoring the warmth that the embrace provided. He had really thought Hyukjae would spend the night on the couch like he had done so many times before. Donghae could never fall asleep those nights.

He noticed that Hyukjae was holding his hand and beamed, snuggling impossibly closer and burying his head in the other's chest. Maybe they really were okay.

The movements caused the raven head to stir, and as his eyes slowly peeked open, he looked down at the snuggly brunet in his arms. Donghae's face was smushed against his chest as he clung to the older man, a pout on his thin lips. Hyukjae couldn't help but let out a chuckle at the adorable sight in front of him.

He knew he would miss moments like these the most.

"Hyukjae?" the brunet whispers tiredly upon realizing that his husband was awake. He looked up at the man and smiled softly as he noticed the love that was present in Hyukjae's eyes as they looked at each other.

"What are you doing awake?" Hyukjae wondered, sneaking a hand under the younger's shirt to rest on his hip. "You should rest honey, you need it."

"I know, I was just..." Donghae trailed off and chewed his lip, somewhat losing himself in his husband's eyes. Just like he did when they first met. "I didn't think you would be here."

Hyukjae sighed and pecked the brunet's lips softly, something he hasn't done in so long. He wished he could hold Donghae forever. He just wanted to kiss Donghae everywhere, apologize a thousand times and promise to never hurt his husband again, and to only shower him with affection like he used to.

But he couldn't do that.

He didn't want to break that promise.

Instead he settled for another peck on Donghae's nose, and he smiled softly at his beloved husband. "I told you that I would cuddle with you," he whispered. "All night long."

"Thank you," Donghae mumbled, the sleepiness evident in his voice. His eyes slowly fell shut.

Hyukjae's thumb gently the skin above the younger's hip and the raven head gulped, his heart pounding as he held his love so close to him.

"I wanted to talk to you about something," Hyukjae spoke, breaking the soothing silence and causing Donghae's eyes to flutter open again.

The brunet became worried at the tone of his husband's voice and the look of despair in the brown eyes in front of him. "Is something wrong?" he asked. He could feel his hands begin to shake at the same time Hyukjae pulled his hand away from Donghae's hip, instead brushing the soft brown hair out of the younger's face.

Hyukjae sighed again, his breath shaky. "I think it's best..." He closed his eyes, fighting back the tears. His hand came to cup Donghae's cheek, his thumb then caressing the soft skin.

"Hyukjae?" the younger whispered, reflexively pulling away from his husband's embrace. He stared into Hyukjae's eyes that were filled with dread, watched as the older fought with himself and struggled to get his words out.

"I think it's best if you leave."

Those were the words Hyukjae had so calmly spoken to his husband that night. That night had seemed to be the worst night of Donghae's life, the night of their worst fight, the night they had said the most hurtful things to each other.

The night Donghae thought his husband was going to kill him.

Those were the words that had brought Donghae to cry for what felt like the hundredth time that week.

He pulled away from Hyukjae and sat up, wiping the tears off of his face, though they kept flowing anyway. Hyukjae sat up with him, pulling Donghae's hands away from his face. "Hae --"

"Y-You want me t-to leave?" the brunet let out between sobs.

"Baby, listen," the older tried. Donghae shook his head, trying to move away from the raven head, but Hyukjae wouldn't let him. He pulled his husband by the waist to sit on his lap, gently so as to not hurt the younger anymore than he's already done.

He knew this was a bad idea.

"I'm sorry love," Hyukjae whispered, hushing the younger man's tears as he held Donghae close. The brunet rested his head on Hyukjae's shoulder and sniffed as the raven headed male his hair. "I'm so sorry."

"I'll be out by tomorrow night," Donghae mumbled, still unable to control the waterfall of tears. "You won't have to deal with me after that."

"Hae, baby, it's not like that," Hyukjae insisted.

"It's okay. I don't need you to explain."

Hyukjae frowned. He didn't have an explanation.

His arms tightened around his crying husband, holding him closer and wishing he would never have to let go. He kissed Donghae's temple and brushed away the tears, muttering soft apologies and sweet nothings into the brunet's ear as he rocked Donghae like a child.

"Please don't cry anymore," Hyukjae whispered. "You know I hate to see you sad like this."

Especially when I'm the reason for it.

Donghae whimpered but nodded, leaning more into his husband's hold. He wiped the tears away once more before turning his head to look at the older.

"There's someone else, isn't there?"

Hyukjae's jaw dropped, and now it was his turn to start crying. "Are you kidding me? Someone else? Absolutely not! You know I love you more than anything, Lee Donghae, and you know that I could never love anyone as much as I love you. Don't you get that?"

"Then why do you want me to go?" Donghae demanded. "How can you say that you love me but still ask me to leave you?"

"Because you can't stay here. I don't want you here," Hyukjae said, although it killed him to do so. His own words were hurting himself almost as much as they were hurting the man in his arms.

It's for your own good.

"I can't leave you, Hyukkie, I just can't. Please don't make me go," Donghae begged, his tears soaking the sleeve of the raven head's hoodie.

"I'm sorry Donghae."

The brunet knew it wasn't worth it trying to fight. Hyukjae wouldn't change his mind, though his actions completely contradicted his words; the older male's arms held Donghae so close, as if pleading for him to stay, but he still insisted that he wanted Donghae to go.

Donghae didn't want to fight his husband anymore. He was only willing to go because Hyukjae had requested it, he would do anything for Hyukjae if the other asked.

"I'll be out by tomorrow night," the brunet said again, trying to release himself from Hyukjae's embrace, but to no avail. Instead he was pulled to lay back down again, the older man's arms still firmly wrapped around him.

"Stay with me," Hyukjae whispered. "For tonight, at least. Let me keep my promise."

And so he did. The brunet laid down comfortably beside his husband, his heart racing for a number of reasons.

Donghae kept his word, spending the entire next day packing all of his belongings into a suitcase. Packing his clothes was the hardest task, for he had no idea what belonged to him and what belonged to Hyukjae. So he settled for only the clothes he thought he would need, and left the rest for his husband. All of his personal items were placed into his suitcase with care, making sure nothing could damage them.

It broke his heart to leave, it really did. But he wanted to prove to Hyukjae that he was strong, hoping that once the older man saw him leave with his head held up high, he would regret wanting the brunet to go and ask him to stay anyway, despite everything.

They had woken up late that morning, still wrapped in each other's arms. The conversation from the middle of the night was still present in their minds, and the awkwardness was definitely there.

Hyukjae had cooked a delicious brunch, the two unfortunately only exchanging a few words throughout the entire day, further upsetting the younger.

Donghae tried to stay calm while packing his things, being sure to keep his poker face and not let the raven head know that he was crumbling. Hyukjae spent the day doing various chores around the house, practically ignoring his husband. It was as if he kept finding reasons to distract himself from the harsh reality they were now being forced to face.

The time passed much to quickly for Donghae's liking, and before he knew it he was standing in across from Hyukjae, just outside of their apartment door. His things were all packed, and it was just as he reluctantly handed his key to the older, he realized that it was really over with now. 

Hyukjae seemed to be in a trance, closing his fingers around the key that rested in his palm before shoving it into his jeans pocket. He cleared his throat as his eyes met with the younger's. "I'm sorry," he whispered, wondering if he was making the wrong decision.

He knew damn well that he was. But there's no turning back now.

"Don't make me go, Hyukjae. We both know you don't want me to leave. Please," the brunet begged.

Hyukjae shook his head, fighting back the tears that threatened to fall after hearing his husband's pleading.

"How can you do this so easily?" Donghae whispered, looking down at the wedding band on his left ring finger.

"It's not easy," Hyukjae mumbled tiredly. All this time he stared at the floor, never daring to meet the younger's gaze, because he knew if he did, he would crack and throw everything away. He couldn't let Donghae stay with him anymore. "I'm sorry Donghae."

Donghae bit back a sob. "Why do you want me to go? I don't want to leave you, Hyukkie. Please, just say something. Te

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter