Is this love?

Maybe, Love

A/N: Hi everyone. This is a Joyri idea I’ve had for some time. It’s basically college student Yeri working as a waitress where older Joy comes into her cafe everyday without fail, and the college girl just observes her. Becomes intrigued by her, and they eventually do converse with one another, and maybe Yerim finds what being in love is like for the first time. It’s going to hopefully be a good read.


 

Kim Yerim was a young woman who never believed in love, fairy tales, and the ideas of soulmates seemed completely ridiculous to her. She just couldn’t imagine that her soulmate was also out there walking around at the same time as her. It just seemed to be a little too far-fetched. Kim Yerim is also a college student working a typical job as waitress in a cafe in an effort to pay her portion of the rent at her apartment. She’s fortunate to have a scholarship and doesn’t have to worry about school. Her boss is also nice, gives her flexible hours, and she even gets to keep some of the leftover food and pastries. There just isn’t anything very interesting about her job. Well, there’s one interesting thing about her job.

 

Every afternoon a woman comes in with a laptop bag, glasses, sometimes hair a bit messy with the look that she might have just woken up, but she’s also beautiful with her dark locks, pretty bright eyes, and soft looking lips. Yerim also thinks she might be a professor of some sort as she’s dressed usually very nicely. This woman comes everyday without fail and orders the same tea with a chocolate croissant and sits in the table close to the window near the back, and types. Yerim watched her sometimes. She sees the way her eyes light up whenever she looks excited, or even the adorable way she’ll bite down on her bottom lip when she’s nervous.

 

Yerim will usually see this woman from afternoon on all the way until closing time. The college student thinks if there’s anything interesting about her job it would be this woman. Yerim looks up from the counter she’s wiping down when she hears the door chime signaling a customer.

 

“Hi, good afternoon.” Yerim greets the woman.

 

“Oh, hi. Good afternoon.” The taller woman smiles politely and goes to her favorite corner. Almost immediately she takes out her laptop to begin typing. Yerim remembers her order by heart as it’s always a jasmine tea, slices of lemon on the side, with a chocolate croissant. Yerim brings her the tea and the chocolate croissant.

 

“Oh, but I didn’t order…”

 

“It’s okay, I remembered your order.”

 

“Ah.” The bespectacled woman nods with a grateful smile. She turns back to her typing and Yerim goes back to cleaning the counters. While she does this she makes conversation with her coworker Rose, a nice girl from Australia who is studying abroad and attends her university.

 

“Hi, Yeri!” Rose beams with a smile. “Did that hot woman actually talk to you?”

 

Everyone has taking to calling her the hot woman as they don’t know her name, and all she does is order her usual order whenever she does speak.

 

“She did, but it was only because she didn’t expect her order.”

 

“You’re so lucky. I’d love for that hottie to talk to me.”

 

Yerim laughs in amusement at the somewhat star struck expression on Rose’s face. She can’t deny that the woman is obviously attractive. Yerim will also find herself distracted by the woman even when she is taking other customers orders, checking inventory, and especially when it’s her night to close the cafe. Yerim is usually the one who has to wake her up when she falls asleep.

 

“She’s older than us.”

 

“Who cares!” Rose laughs. “She’s hot, and she doesn’t look that much older than us. Mid twenties at most.”

 

Yerim honestly can’t be sure. She’s learned to never assume about anyone. Someone can look a certain age and not be that age at all. One thing for sure is this woman can’t be a college student. She’s dressed too nicely for one. The afternoon rush comes in soon and she has to handle the customers. She’s been at this job a while and can expertly make drinks, bring out pastries, and steal glances at the gorgeous woman. Rose is the one who goes to ask the pretty woman if she would like a refill. Rose returns shortly after and nudges Yerim.

 

“Hey, I want to see something. Go ask her if she wants a refill.”

 

“What for?” Yerim doesn’t understand. Rose looks at her with an amused expression. Rose has the feeling that the hot woman will only talk to Yerim, and she wants to see if she’s right. The shorter blonde is looking at her with arms crossed over her chest. She can see Yerim isn’t really amused and that’s kind of what makes it more fun.

 

“Just go, and take this.” Rose hands her the tea kettle so can refill the woman’s drink. Yerim doesn’t have any idea what this is for. But she walks over to the bespectacled woman.

 

“Would you like a refill?”

 

“Yes.” The dark-haired woman responds almost immediately. It’s here where Yerim understands why Rose told her to come here. The customer probably didn’t respond to her when she offered her a refill. The blonde knows once she gets back over there Rose will have a field day with this information which doesn’t mean anything.

 

“Here you go.”

 

“Thank you,” Yerim hears just before she leaves to head back to the counter. She isn’t even all the way back when Rose is already laughing.

 

“Don’t laugh.”

 

“You’ve got the magic touch, Kim Yerim. Our hot customer only talks to you.”

 

The blonde rolls her eyes and not so lightly jabs the taller girl in the shoulder. She doesn’t want to hear anything like that. The woman is just a regular customer who comes in sits by herself and orders the same thing everyday. She is a very beautiful customer, though. Yerim simply puts the tea kettle down and is thankful that she can leave earlier today.


 

The next day at work it’s raining, and not the kind that’s just a light shower. It’s actually pouring hard and Yerim is glad to be inside. The good thing about the rain is it also usually keeps most people away. The blonde is surprised when she hears the door chime. There’s no one here but her, and now well the pretty woman too.

 

“It’s terrible out there.” The dark-haired woman says with a smile.

 

“You’re soaked.” Yerim speaks as she notices the jacket the taller woman has on is completely soaked, hair too, wet, and clinging to her face.

 

“That’ll happen when you get caught in the rain.”

 

“Hold on.” The blonde tells her and goes back to the storage room to grab a towel. The poor woman is drenched. When Yerim returns the dark-haired woman is still standing by the same spot she was when first arriving.

 

“Here,” Yerim reaches over to try to dry the woman off some, but she gently grabs the towel from the younger girl.

 

“I have it, thank you.”

 

The woman dries off as much as she can and sits. Yerim right away goes to make her order as it’s the same all the time.

 

“Is it just you here?”

 

“Yes, I guess the storm keeps people away.” Yerim answers as she pours the tea.

 

“That’s true, if you’re not busy. Would you like to join me?”

 

“Oh….” Yerim thinks. She isn’t terribly busy as there really is no one here but the two of them. The blonde decides why not, as she has nothing to lose. She goes to get herself a hot chocolate and a slice of cake.

 

“Hot chocolate?” The bespectacled woman notices.

 

“Yeah, the hot chocolate here is really good. Would you like some?” Yerim offers to make her a similar mug of hot chocolate.

 

“Oh, no.” She smiles. “It’s been a long time since I’ve had hot chocolate. I’m fine with my tea.”

 

“Alright.”

 

The blonde watches as the woman begins to type. She wonders what it is that she’s typing. Occasionally, the dark-haired woman will stop to sip her tea.

 

“Can I ask what you’re writing?”

 

“Hm, oh. It’s a novel.”

 

“You’re a writer?”

 

The woman stops typing. She looks a little apprehensive at first. But then she smiles in the way that Yerim has seen her smile before when she types.

 

“Well, you’ve been my waitress for what four months?”

 

“Just about.” Yerim nods. She’s been working here for four months and everyday since then she has been serving this beautiful woman the same tea and chocolate croissant.

 

“I can probably trust you. I am a writer, and this is my latest novel. I usually find a lot of inspiration when I’m sitting in this cafe, and I was hoping to find some again. Plus the tea here suits my taste, and of course the pastries.”

 

Yerim can understand that. She loves all the pastries here and is glad to take any of them home when she’s able.

 

“I take as many home as I can.”

 

“I hope you’re eating actual food too.”

 

Yerim finds herself wondering just how old this woman is. She doesn’t want any hot chocolate which is already weird. Now she’s talking like a parent wondering if she eats more than desserts.

 

“I eat food too.”

 

“Good, I remember my college days, and it can be hard trying to eat regularly.”

 

It’s as she already figured. The woman is certainly not a college kid in anyway. It doesn’t mean she’s really old either. Yerim feels like it’s really not her business after all, this woman is just a customer.

 

“Can I ask what sort of novel?”

 

“Romance.”

 

“Oh….”

 

The woman laughs then as she catches the somewhat disappointed tone in the waitress’s voice. It’s surprising her because most girls about her age love romance novels.

 

“You don’t like romance, or the idea of being in love with that one person?”

 

“I’ve never been.” Yerim admits and sees the older woman is out of tea. “Would you like some more tea?”

 

“Yes, thank you.”

 

As Yerim is pouring her tea it’s here she sees the pen name of the woman. She nearly drops the kettle she’s so stunned.

 

“You are S. J Park!”

 

The woman laughs again, this time in a somewhat nervous and embarrassed manner that is somehow endearing to the younger woman.

 

“It’s my pen name, yes. How come you know who I am if you don’t like romance novels?”

 

“My roommate she has almost all your books, and you’re kind of well known. But no one has seen your face before. Why so secretive?”

 

“It’s just easier for me to go under a pen name. I don’t want the fame of people knowing me when all I want to do is write. You won’t say anything will you?”

 

“No, as far as I’m concerned you’re just one of my regular customers.”

 

“Thank you,” She smiles again. “My name is Sooyoung, what’s yours?”

 

“Yerim.”

 

“Yerim,” Sooyoung repeats, and the younger girl has no idea why the way Sooyoung says her name makes her feel a certain way. They sit in silence mostly after the blonde finds out who the woman is exactly, and only speak again when the rain stops.

 

“I should go. I have a prior engagement to attend today.”

 

“Oh, I was so used to seeing you until closing.”

 

“I do stay around a lot, don’t I?” Sooyoung says in amusement. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Yerim.”

 

“See you.”


 

Having a roommate comes with ups and downs. Yerim knew that going in and she knows it as she lives it everyday. It was also unrealistic to live on your own as a college student away from home. Her parents do send her whatever money they can, but even with her job she would have needed a second one at the least to be able to live alone. Again, an unrealistic idea. However, her roommate is a medical student Son Seungwan. She’s nice enough and even volunteers to cook meals for them which works out well since Yerim doesn’t cook, unless heating up stuff counts. They barely see each other too except for weekends when both are free. When Yerim gets home she remembers one of the down sides as she opens the refrigerator and sees a lot of weird concoctions in test tubes.

 

“Seungwan!” She shouts. “What the hell did I say about leaving your weird science in the refrigerator.”

 

“Oh, yeah!” She hears a voice as Seungwan comes out from her bedroom. “Yeah, don’t drink those.”

 

“Don’t worry,” Yerim pushes pass the weird things and grabs herself some orange juice. It better be orange juice anyway. The blonde is relieved to see it’s actually orange juice.

 

“How was your day?” Seungwan wonders. “Did you get caught badly in that rain?”

 

“No, luckily I was inside for that storm. I’m so tired though that I’m just going to get ready for bed.”

 

“Okay.” The brunette nods. “If you’re hungry I made food.”

 

“Thanks, Seungwan.”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

The brunette heads back into her room and Yerim finds she is thinking about Sooyoung. Now she has a name to go with the face. It’s been four months and for those months she was just the beautiful stranger. It’ll be nice to address her with an actual name rather than beautiful stranger. Yerim is also stunned that she is actually a famous novelist. It’s so crazy to think that a famous novelist has been her customer for months, and blending in just like anyone else. Her roommate would definitely freak out if she knew that S. J Park is her regular customer.


 

“No, I won’t tell anyone because it’s her personal business. I don’t blame her for wanting to hide out from crazy fans.”

 

Yerim gets ready for bed as she has a busy day of school. She set up her schedule where she could have at least two days of nothing but school so she can focus. Her boss is very understanding as she was a college student once too, and always lets Yerim go when she needs time to study. Tomorrow she won’t be at the cafe and won’t see Sooyoung there. It doesn’t mean Rose won’t let her know, because when she runs into her friend at campus the taller girl is smiling from ear to ear.

 

“Our hot customer asked about you.” It's the first thing that Rose tells her. Yerim sighs and tries to pretend she doesn’t know Rose.

 

“Hey, don’t act like you don’t know me.”

 

“I don’t know you.”

 

“Aww, but Yerimie!” She hugs the blonde. “After all we’ve been through. It was kind of sweet actually, and the first time I’ve ever heard her voice I think.”

 

Yerim doesn’t know why but hearing that Sooyoung asked about her makes her feel nice. She can’t explain why but it feels nice to be asked about.

 

“What did she say?”

 

“Ooh, so you're interested. I don’t blame you because she is hot! All she asked was if you were okay. Maybe she doesn’t know you don’t work on Thursday.”

 

“No, but she’s usually focused on her laptop.”

 

“Yeah,” Rose agrees. “She looks like some sort of professor or something.”

 

Yerim isn’t about to say anything regarding that, so all she does is agree with Rose. She will be back to work at the cafe tomorrow, and there is this feeling of looking forward to talking to Sooyoung, well maybe she will talk to her. Of course, it turns out to be a sunny day and the afternoon rush is hectic as usual. She, Rose, and another coworker are busy taking orders, refilling drinks, and running around like mad women almost. The blonde is running on autopilot when the next batch of customers are waiting.

 

“Hi, welcome. Can I take your order?” Yerim says with less enthusiasm than she meant. But right now she almost feels like she could pass out.

 

“I thought you remembered my order.”

 

The somewhat playful tone in Sooyoung’s voice makes the waitress perk up. She stands stunned for a long moment before immediately springing into action and makes the cup of jasmine tea, and grabs one of the freshly baked chocolate croissants. Yerim hands it over and for a moment their hands touch. The blonde feels something a spark of some type when their hands touch, but it couldn’t mean anything, right? She doesn’t really know Sooyoung.

 

“Thank you, Yerim.” The taller woman pays for her order and goes.

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

The good thing is that the afternoon rush does slow down after a few hours. Rose has to go for class and it’s just her and their other coworker. But another one is coming in to help and Yerim is relieved, so that she can take a break. It’s not unnoticed that she is tired as she leans against the espresso machine. Sooyoung walks over and talks briefly to the coworker.

 

“Here, this should cover for her to get a break.” The older woman hands over a fresh and crisp 100 dollar bill that stuns the other girl.

 

“It does allow her to get a break now, yes?”

 

“Uh, yes?”

 

“Very good,” the bespectacled woman smiles. She walks over to where the blonde really does look like she’s about to pass out. Sooyoung remembers all too well her college days. When she worked two jobs, did work for a publishing company on the side, and school. She understands how exhausting it can be. It’s why she gently places a hand to the younger girl’s shoulder. Yerim looks and sees it’s just Sooyoung. Why does her soft hand feel especially nice to her shoulder?

 

“Oh, hi. Did you want a refill?”

 

“No, but you can come with me for some air. I think you could use some?”

 

Yerim looks hesitant as it’s not her time for a break just yet. Sooyoung explains that she won’t be in trouble. The blonde does go with the dark-haired woman as she could use a break away from the cafe. They walk for a few minutes to a nearby park where Sooyoung buys her some fried chicken from a food truck.

 

“You need to eat.” The taller woman says. “This food truck probably has the best fried chicken around.”

 

“Wow, that’s a bold statement.”

 

“It’s a true statement. Here, eat some.” Sooyoung gently places the tray into her hands. She also has a bottle of water too.

 

“You took me out for lunch?”

 

“You needed to sit down and also eat. I was a college student once. I know the sort of stress you’re under. Will you at least have a bite?”

 

Yerim can’t deny that she is starving. The fried chicken looks especially delicious. The golden brown and crispy skin is staring at her. It smells good too and she takes a bite into what is heaven. Sooyoung looks on in amusement as the younger girl’s eyes look huge and she’s awake now.

 

“Good, right?”

 

“It’s delicious. Oh, but my wallet is back at work.”

 

“Don’t worry about it. I’m glad that you’re actually sitting down. You’re a very good waitress but what do you want to do after school?”

 

Yerim had gone through a few major changes during her early college days. She was undecided for a bit until she finally decided on business. It made sense to her and now here she is.

 

“I’m a business major, so maybe owning my own business one day.”

 

Sooyoung nods. “I understand, but what do you want to do? What inspires you? What are you passionate about?”

 

“I don’t know.” The blonde admits honestly. She really doesn’t know what she’s passionate about. Yerim has no idea what inspires her.

 

“Does writing inspire you?”

 

“Ah,” Sooyoung laughs. “You’re changing the question to me. You should have been a psychology major. Yes writing does inspire me. I like to see my characters come to life on the page, and I do enjoy hearing the readers feedback. My latest novel is at a bit of standstill and my publishers definitely want something soon.”

 

“They can’t rush you. Writing a book takes time, and it’s like an art. They wouldn’t rush an artist making a painting.”

 

“They’re not rushing me, exactly. They just want to know I’m working. But you are right that writing can’t be rushed. Eat the rest of your food.”

 

“Thank you,” Yerim softly tells her before taking another bite.

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

After she finishes eating Sooyoung walks her back to the cafe. It’s here the dark-haired woman says she has an appointment to make, but she wishes her a good rest of her day.

 

“Sooyoung?” Yerim calls her.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Um, out of all your books which one is your favorite?”

 

“Out of my books?” She pauses to think of the question. “Red Nights.”

 

“Red Nights,” Yerim nods, and thanks her for the answer.

 

“Maybe, one day I can tell you why.”

 

“Yes, maybe you can.”


 

It’s later when she’s home that Yerim asks Seungwan if she has Red Nights. The brunette screamed in excitement and practically shoved the book into her hands.

 

“It’s a really good book! I mean the hot scenes aside. The two main characters were so in love and they had to go…” Seungwan pauses. “No, I won’t spoil it for you. I am surprised you want to read a romance novel suddenly.”

 

“I need something to do on my breaks.” She lies. It’s more that she wants to understand the writer's side of Sooyoung. She wants to know if she can make sense of the woman as she has come to know her through her writing. It’s why Yerim begins reading that night. She reads on her way to school, during work breaks, and on her way home. The short answer is no she doesn’t understand Sooyoung as who she has gotten to know. The book reads entirely differently from the woman she has spent time with. The story is a beautifully written piece. The two main characters are women who have many struggles to be together, and obstacles in their way. It’s a very romantic story overall. Such ideas of romance like this have always been foreign to Yerim. Can someone really have a soulmate? Someone who is absolutely perfect for them in every single way? She isn’t sure. But she does know Sooyoung makes her feel something. Yerim enjoys seeing her and talking to her. What does it all mean, she wonders?


 

One evening Park Sooyoung is having dinner with her married friends Kang Seulgi and Joohyun. They have been friends since their college days, and Sooyoung has watched the couple go from best friends to lovers and finally to married people. Whenever Sooyoung looks at them and how they share those soft, loving gazes. It makes her smile and she knows that they are a living, breathing romance story. She watched as they had to separate and work hard to be back together permanently. They have been inspiration to her in many ways.

 

“If you’re using Seul and I as your next novel. We will demand royalties.” The lawyer tells her and that makes Sooyoung laugh.

 

“It’s not my fault you are both a living romance novel.”

 

“She’s right, Hyun.” The photographer says and kisses her other half. Sooyoung has always found Seulgi and Joohyun to be such a perfect pair together. She has also wanted something similar for herself one day. Should she be so lucky.

 

“Soo, are you not seeing anyone now? Seul and I do want you to be happy.”

 

“I’m not. But…” She pauses as she thinks to Yerim for a moment. “No, never mind.”

 

“Why?” Seulgi asks. “Is there someone?”

 

“I’ve met someone interesting. But I don’t know if it could work.”

 

“Well, why not?” The couple wonder together. They have seen their friend work so hard and pour herself into her work. She has done more than well for herself too. It’s still not the same if you’re not sharing your life with someone.

 

“She’s really special. I can tell, whenever I speak to her. She’s gorgeous too, and there are times I can hardly keep my eyes off of her. She’s a college kid, though.”

 

Sooyoung has to be realistic. Yerim can't be anymore than 20. She is at the least 8 years older than her. There is no guarantee their age difference could work for them. There is also not a guarantee that says it will be a disaster.

 

“Oh, boy. She’s trying to rob the cradle.” Joohyun sighs and laughs.

 

“Seulgi is younger than you.” Sooyoung points out.

 

“She’s not that much younger than me!”

 

Seulgi laughs some but stops when her wife is glaring at her.

 

“Hey, Soo. I mean, if you like this girl. I think you should see how it goes. What’s age anyway? Does she know who you are?”

 

“Yeah,” Sooyoung nods. “She knows who I am. Well, she knows I am S.J Park, but maybe she can see more of me. Thanks, guys. I have somethings to think about.”

 

“We do want you to be happy, Sooyoung. No matter who it’s going to be with.”

 

“I know, thank you.”


 

The very first time Yerim runs into Sooyoung outside without it being in the cafe. It’s because the dark-haired woman sees her sitting by herself on a bench and reading a very familiar book. Sooyoung smiles in amusement and heads over.

 

“Is it a good book?”

 

“Ah!” Yerim jumps some. “Oh,” she catches her breath. “Hi, Sooyoung. It’s…”

 

“I am surprised you’re reading my book.” The taller woman sits down. “Is this why you asked me what my favorite book is?”

 

“Yes, I just wanted to see if I could know you through your books.”

 

“I see, and did you find me?”

 

“Well, not exactly. You’re writing doesn’t really fit you as I have come to know you. It’s a well written book but it’s…”

 

“It’s different. It doesn’t seem like something I would write?”

 

Yerim is surprised because Sooyoung pretty much sums up her thoughts.

 

“Yes, it surprised me. Plus, I just can’t imagine such a love like the one your main characters have.”

 

“I understand. I guess one day you will know what love is, or how it feels like. Maybe not as grand and overwhelming like in the movies. But you’ll know. Do you mind if I ask how old you are?”

 

Here it comes, finally. Yerim was wondering when they would get to the topic of their ages. She already knows Sooyoung is older than her anyway.

 

“I’m actually really 35, but I take very good care of myself.”

 

Yerim says it so seriously that Sooyoung has to laugh because it sounds ridiculous.

 

“No matter how good of care you take of yourself. You’re not 35.”

 

“No, I’m 20, and you?”

 

Sooyoung figured she was about 20. They do have a good amount of age between them. It still doesn’t change that she likes talking to Yerim. She enjoys spending time with her.

 

“I’m 28.”

 

“I knew you were older than me. I don’t know, but it doesn’t matter. I like seeing you.”

 

Sooyoung nods with a smile. “I like seeing you too, Yerim. I should go but I will see you tomorrow.”

 

“Your order will be ready for you.” The blonde smiles.

 

“I look forward to it from my favorite waitress.”


 

It’s good for awhile. They spend months more talking. Sooyoung still orders the same exact drink and chocolate croissant. Yerim still goes to school and work. She has read the entire book and moved on to reading others. Sooyoung’s books are all so different the romances are different too. She’s a really good writer because she takes the reader with her on a journey. Yerim still feels things that she doesn’t understand fully. The blonde just knows that the feelings feel good. She looks forward to hearing the door chime and seeing Sooyoung’s smile. Yerim likes when she takes breaks and they can sit to talk. She likes walking with her and having fried chicken together. Yerim really likes Sooyoung. Maybe she more than likes her?

 

“Is red your favorite color?” The younger girl asks one evening while they’re walking together. They left from the cafe and Sooyoung treated her to dinner at a sushi place. It’s late now but Yerim finds she could spend all night with Park Sooyoung and not care.

 

“Why, yes. Am I obvious?” Sooyoung laughs and gestures to her red scarf.

 

“No, you’re not actually. But I noticed you carry red things a lot.”

 

“You pay attention.”

 

“I have to, I take customers orders for hours on end.” Yerim laughs. They turn the corner and a gust of wind hits them both. It’s colder for Yerim as she isn’t wearing an appropriate coat. Sooyoung gently takes her scarf and wraps it around her. Yerim knows she feels her heart speeding up some from the soft hands touching her. Her face is red too, and she isn’t the only one who notices.

 

“You’re so red.” Sooyoung smiles.

 

“It’s cold!” Yerim quickly says. A little too quickly and it makes the taller woman laugh.

 

“Let’s get you home. Your apartment isn’t far, right?”

 

“No, it’s not. But what about you?”

 

“I’ll catch a taxi.”

 

Sooyoung thinks she still looks cold and so she wraps her arm around the shorter girl. Yerim hasn’t ever had someone take their arm around her both protectively and gently. It feels less cold too with the way Sooyoung brings her closer. It feels nice to be next to Sooyoung. Why does this feel much like one of her books?

 

“When you get home make sure you get something warm to drink and get into warm clothes too. I can’t have my favorite waitress sick.”

 

“Rose can make your tea.” She teases. “She would be happy to make your tea.”

 

“I like the way you make my order best.”

 

It’s soft and sweet. The way Sooyoung says it shouldn’t make her feel this much, right? They walk for several blocks until reaching her apartment complex.

 

“Your scarf,” Yerim goes to take it off but Sooyoung declines.

 

“Hold onto it.”

 

“But it’s a red scarf?”

 

“I have other red scarves. Hold onto it, you can give it to me next time you see me.”

 

“Okay, have a goodnight, Sooyoung.”

 

“You too, Yerim.”

 

Sooyoung waits until she’s safely inside before calling herself a cab. She does like Kim Yerim. In fact she more than likes the younger girl. Would it be too much to ask her out? Sooyoung isn’t sure. She does know she feels particularly inspired and that is all thanks to Kim Yerim. Maybe she can finish her book after all. The second Yerim gets through the door she is met with a huge hug.

 

“Seungwan!” She screams.

 

“Hey! I was worried sick about you. It was getting late even for you, and then I saw you outside with some woman. She’s hot, don’t get me wrong. I thought you were kidnapped or something.”

 

“You need to stop inhaling your test tubes.”

 

“It was one time! Are we not letting this go?”

 

The blonde laughs some and tells her roommate that she is okay. She was out having dinner and they were lost on time because of the easy conversation.

 

“Was it a date? She looks older than you.”

 

“I don’t think it was a date. But so what if she’s older than me. I enjoy spending time with her.”

 

“Hey, I’m happy for you. She’s hot!”

 

“Goodnight, Seungwan.”

 

“What, she is hot. I’ll take her if you don’t want her.”

 

The only thing Seungwan hears is Yerim’s bedroom door closing. The blonde finds herself leaning up against the wall. Her heart is beating so hard she can barely breathe. She feels the scarf around her neck and thinks of the woman who so gently put it around her. She thinks about Park Sooyoung and the way she makes her feel.

 

“Is this, maybe love?”


 

She doesn’t know. She does know one thing for sure when one day she doesn’t see Sooyoung. The door chimes many times through the day. She just doesn’t ever see a familiar smile, gorgeous face, glasses, or familiar laptop bag. The entire day she sees no sign of Sooyoung. It worries her because for more than 6 months she has seen the woman nearly everyday without fail. She orders the same tea and chocolate croissant. Today Sooyoung doesn’t come in and Yerim finds she misses her. She misses her so very much and now there are brand new feelings. What does it all mean? The blonde stays until closing and it’s raining out just before she is to go when she sees Sooyoung walking pass the cafe. A bright red umbrella above her head.

 

“Sooyoung?”

 

Yerim runs out of the cafe after her. The woman is taller but Yerim doesn’t care.

 

“Sooyoung!”

 

The woman doesn’t hear at first, not with the sounds of the rain and wind.

 

“Park Sooyoung!” Yerim stands still and shouts loud enough that the dark-haired woman stops. She turns in surprise to see the blonde simply standing there getting soaked.

 

“Yerim?”

 

She starts walking back to her and Yerim walks too. They meet and Sooyoung is quick to move the umbrella over them both.

 

“Yerim? What are you doing out here?”

 

“Where are you going?” Yerim asks her. “Why didn’t you come in to have your usual order?”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I was in meetings all day with my publishers and editors. Is this why you’re out in the rain like this?”

 

Yerim shakes her head and touches the dark-haired woman’s cheeks.

 

“I don’t know what you’ve done to me.”

 

“What?”

 

“I don’t know what you’ve done to me.” She repeats.

 

“Yerim, are you okay?”

 

“I never believed in love, romance, or soulmates. Yet, here I am running after you in the rain because I didn’t see you for one day and I missed you. I missed you so much that I don’t know how to feel. What are you doing to me, Park Sooyoung?”

 

Sooyoung didn’t expect for this. It’s probably the last thing she could have seen coming.

 

“Are you saying you have feelings for me?”

 

“I just know it hurts when I don’t see you. I like being with you, no matter if we’re just talking or sitting with tea and I watch you write. I don’t know, is this love? You’re the writer, Sooyoung. Tell me…” she gets cut off when a pair of soft lips touching her own. Sooyoung is leaning down just enough to kiss her. All those feelings come and hit them both. Yerim feels her heart racing, cheeks flushed, and breath hitch in . Sooyoung’s lips against her own feels so right. It makes so much sense and she leans up into it. The taller woman wraps her arm around her to bring her closer. Is this love? Yerim thinks it is. They break away and Sooyoung pushes wet strands of hair from her face.

 

“What are you feeling?”

 

“I feel like my head is spinning and my heart is pounding so loud I can hear it in my ears.”

 

“Me too,” Sooyoung nods and kisses her softly once more. “I feel the same way you do. I look forward to seeing you everyday. I like walking with you and talking for hours about nothing and everything. This feels like any of my romance novels only it’s real. You’re real and you’re here with me.”

 

Yerim nods and leans into the taller woman. She holds Yerim close and this is where the blonde can hear Sooyoung’s heartbeat. It’s loud, clear, and reaching her own heart.

 

“I think I love you, Sooyoung. No, I know I love you.”

 

“As romantic as this is with us standing in the rain. We should really get out of it. Come with me.” Sooyoung walks with her close as they walk together in the rain. Yerim snuggles into her further. It feels perfect being next to Sooyoung. She doesn’t want this feeling to ever end. They walk to what is a late night bookstore. Sooyoung tells her to wait a moment as she gets a towel. When she returns she dries off the blonde’s hair as much as possible.

 

“I love you too, Kim Yerim. There’s just something about you that I’ve been drawn to almost right away, and the more time we spent together the more it felt right and made sense.”

 

“It made sense to me too. I never thought I could feel this. But I feel it, and I’m feeling it with you.”

 

“Then forget about the romance novels you’ve read, and just live it with me. Live here in this moment with me and our own romance. Does that sound good?”

 

Yerim nods. It sounds perfect and it’s the only romance she wants to be apart of. She feels Sooyoung wrapping her arms around her again. This is more than enough in this moment just being with Sooyoung, even if it’s raining. It doesn’t even matter because everything about the two of them right now makes perfect sense.

 

“I know we have things to really sit down and talk about. But knowing you feel the same way is enough for right now.” Sooyoung tells her. They can work out the details when they have time.

 

“I hope you plan to ask me to be your girlfriend, otherwise I will be offended.”

 

Sooyoung smiles. “We kissed in the rain like any romance movie. I think that automatically makes you my girlfriend.”

 

“Okay, good.” Yerim closes her eyes as she listens to the heartbeat of the taller woman. Sooyoung has an arm around her ever so gently before speaking.

 

“I’ll drive you home after the rain slows some. You’re going to get very sick from getting this wet.”

 

“It was worth it. Running after you was worth it.”

 

“I’ll take care of you. I’m a very good girlfriend.”

 

They both laugh together, and even that feels right too. Park Sooyoung feels right to her, as if made for her only. Kim Yerim was always the one that never believed in romance, true love, or fairy tales. She also never thought her soulmate was walking the earth the same time as her. Yet, here she is in the arms of someone she feels has been made for her. She feels Park Sooyoung is her soulmate and she is in fact walking the earth the same time as she. Is this love?


 

“Yes, this is love.” Yerim whispers.

 

“What?” Sooyoung speaks.

 

“It’s love.”

 

She doesn’t even have to elaborate for Sooyoung to understand. She leans down to kiss the younger woman’s forehead.

 

“You’ve given me the title of my new book.”

 

“Have I?”

 

“Yes.” The dark-haired woman nods. “Maybe, Love. Do you like it?”

 

“I like it.”

 

Maybe it was love? The way Yerim can still feel how warm her face is, and how Sooyoung’s arms feel around her.

 

Yes, it was love.


 

A/N: Hi! So I am super proud of this oneshot. I fell in love with this and was so excited to write. It is my new favorite Joyri oneshot and I hope you all reading it loved it too. I’m so high in my Joyri feels right now and the second of my newest Joyri things is complete. Thanks for reading ^^