Final

Did you not recognize me?

Jongdae spends a lot of time on the internet. He likes to think he has… real friends there. Not that the friends he knows in real life, are per definition fake, but he doesn’t trust them. He, in fact, doesn’t even trust them enough with his birthdate. Which happens to be today. There’s only one person that knows, outside of his family, and that would be this friend Baekhyun, that he met during an online gaming session.

It’s been a good while since the two met and Jongdae regards him as his best friend. They exchanged pictures once and had a great laugh because Baekhyun sent a picture of what Jongdae assumes is a model. The young man had a near perfect face, seemingly flawless skin, alluring and unique eyes – and yet, when Jongdae called him out on it, Baekhyun never admitted it wasn’t him. But of course Jongdae isn’t that stupid. Well. He was stupid enough to send his own picture… but that’s all in the past – it has to have been nearly half a year ago. Though Jongdae occasionally admired the picture Baekhyun sent him, after that one time, they hadn’t spoken about them.

The day goes by without much happening, except for the usual lectures and backpacks colliding with Jongdae’s chest or face, if he’s unlucky. It doesn’t particularly bother him, nothing ever really bothers him. Today, though, there’s a smile playing on his lips, even though usually, he would have grunted at the impact. Minseok, though he isn’t close enough to Jongdae for him to tell him the little details, picks up on his somewhat different behavior.

“So, what are you up to after class?” he asks casually and Jongdae nearly freezes in his tracks – as if he’s been caught red-handed while he didn’t do anything wrong. Then, his smile slips back on his face. He’d agreed on meeting Baekhyun again – online, of course, because where else – after his last lecture today.

“I’m meeting a friend, you?” he asks, equally casually, but Minseok raises an eyebrow with a sly little smile.

“Of course you are,” Minseok replies and Jongdae understands his suspicion – he never meets anyone after class. But, in his defense, maybe he always did and never told Minseok? Then he spots his friend looking at the other side of the hall, squinting shortly and then a smile appears on his face, bunching up his cheeks. “ Oh I am, too, so uh… bye!”

Before Jongdae can even reply or raise an eyebrow at the lightning speed at which Minseok takes off, he’s already gone. He blinks a few times. Did they not have another lecture? Confused, Jongdae takes his phone from the pocket of his jeans and finds the app showing him his schedule. Then he takes note of the time. He just had his last lecture and he didn’t even notice.

With a little frown, he gets to the university’s courtyard, ready to leave the grounds, grab himself something to eat for tonight, but he never gets that far. Standing against the fence is someone who Jongdae is sure he has never seen around here before. First of all, he’d recognize someone who looks so… wow he doesn’t even have words – he’s screwed if they were to meet eyes, that much is certain. Second of all, this is the model-like god that Baekhyun had sent him a picture of – claiming it’s him.

The young man scans the courtyard, as if he’s looking for someone amidst the crowd of students and while Jongdae is staring, he hopes he won’t be noticed. Not that he deems the chances of that very high – he thinks of himself as… ordinary, at best. Soon enough, girls around him start whispering, giggling and stealthily pointing their fingers at the newcomer and Jongdae is reminded of yet another fact. He’s a guy. And the person leaning coolly against the fence, is also a guy.

But Jongdae has to get closer, whether he wants to or not – the exit is there and he’s not going to make a detour through or around the entire building to get to the other side. As he keeps on walking, as confidently as he possibly can, his eyes wander up again – and meet the eyes of the stranger that looks right back at him. A smile warms up the man’s face and Jongdae feels his own heat up – and why is he so affected anyway? He looks away as quickly as he can, it’s not like they have business together and the stranger is probably just being kind to him.

Until his arm is grabbed when he is just about to pass through the gate. The fingers around his wrist feel soft, but nevertheless hold him in a strong grip – though without hurting him. Jongdae is surprised to find that when he meets his eyes again, he has to look up the tiniest bit. The man’s brows are drawn together ever so slightly when his eyes wander Jongdae’s face, as if to make sure of something.

“So… did you not recognize me?” the stranger says in the smoothest voice Jongdae has ever heard, causing his skin to crawl. “Or were you trying to blatantly ignore me?” he inquires further with a playful smile and Jongdae swallows the lump in his throat.

“I… I don’t know what – I don’t know who–” he stumbles and if he had given any attention to his surroundings, he’d be so embarrassed by now, but he doesn’t. His heart is racing at the handsome man standing in front of him, holding his wrist with slim fingers and now, he’s just tracing his thumb along the veins on Jongdae’s arm.

“I never took you for someone who has amnesia,” the stranger tells him, a smirk gracing his lips when he leans in a little closer. “But you’re really cute in real life, I must say you look a lot more handsome, too.” The words are said in a whisper and only now does Jongdae realize he won’t hear the end of this with his fellow university students. A guy stands here, waiting for him apparently, whispering in his ear – but wait a second. In real life?

“But,” Jongdae starts, brows knitting together when he looks at the stranger, realizing there is only one explanation but it just doesn’t make sense. “You were laughing just as hard as I was!” he says, referring to the picture. A genuine smile slips on the man’s face now and Jongdae feels himself melting, but he needs to stand upright.

“It’s very easy to pretend, especially if you called my photo all those things and had no idea you were saying them to me,” he says and Jongdae feels a little embarrassed now.

“So… just making sure… you’re Baekhyun?” he asks, in the smallest voice. The name rolls off his tongue for the first time and he has to admit he likes saying it out loud instead of just in his mind.

“I am,” comes the smooth reply and before Jongdae even realizes, they’re walking. Away from university, away from the students.

“How can you be here?” Jongdae asks, scanning Baekhyun’s face again and his ears tint red because he’s just that handsome. He’s dressed stylishly as well, as if he’s living a completely different life from Jongdae. He’s met with a handsome grin and Jongdae has a hard time looking away. He doesn’t.

“You really must have amnesia. You told me your schedule, what time you’re finished on Fridays and which university you go to. You can’t really expect me to ignore all that on your birthday.” It all comes together in Jongdae’s mind. He’d told Baekhyun all this – but long ago, at least a few months. But he also remembers telling him that he’d spend the day alone because his parents are way out in the countryside and his friends don’t know.

“I really thought you meant it the same as always,” Jongdae mumbles, referring to some particular words they exchanged. ‘I’d love to spend my birthday with you though. I like you’, to which Baekhyun had replied ‘well then, let’s meet up again tomorrow’. He said it just like all the other times they’d meet up online to play games, to chat in between – he hadn’t made it seem as if he meant it any other way.

“Okay, so maybe I wanted to surprise you.”

And surprised he was. They spend the rest of the day comfortably, Jongdae getting more used to the idea that Baekhyun is indeed a model. Nevertheless, he’s as sweet, funny and competitive as he is when they exchange messages and Jongdae finds himself smitten. They buy the take-out Jongdae had planned, but bring it to the arcade instead to play games.

It’s already way past midnight when Jongdae realizes that Baekhyun stills needs to get home. He doesn’t even know where his model friend lives – will there be public transportation all the way to his house at a time like this? Then again, it’s a Friday night. But Jongdae doesn’t want him to go home at all. But what Jongdae also doesn’t want, is to come off as a ert and invite Baekhyun into his tiny apartment. Nevertheless, he has already led his friend to his neighborhood and turning around abruptly would be highly suspicious.

“Say Jongdae…” Baekhyun starts after a bit of silence and a little startled, as if his mind has been read, Jongdae looks up. “I had a lot of fun today,” Baekhyun says with a smile, one that has Jongdae weak in the knees. “But since it’s your birthday, can I give you a little gift?” he asks and though he’s a little confused, Jongdae nods.

Jongdae has time to lean away, time to run, time to scream, but he doesn’t. Baekhyun’s lips meet his own and Jongdae tilts his head. He feels slender fingers around his waist and his own cup the model’s cheek. Jongdae wouldn’t kiss anyone on the first date – but they’ve had many dates already and if this wasn’t the way to wrap tonight up, he wouldn’t know what is.

“Happy birthday, Jongdae,” Baekhyun whispers close to his lips and though the birthday wish is a little on the late side, Jongdae lets it slide.

“Could you… come pick me up again after class sometime?” he asks and Baekhyun laughs, a sound Jongdae thinks he won’t get enough of any time soon – he hopes to hear it again.

“I will make sure to clear my schedule.”

 

--

Welll that's all ^o^ thank you for reading and have a good day! <3