Goodbye

Champion No More

           Carefully, Jinki was lifted up to lean against the back wall of the cave as close to the fire as he could be. There was a thin blanket tossed over his shoulders and a thicker wool one over his legs. His right arm was in a makeshift sling as he tried to balance a bowl of porridge on his thigh and eat with his left hand.  The bowl wobbled, threatening to tumble across the stone beneath him, but then Jonghyun was holding it between both of his hands with a smile. “Let me help.”

           Jinki took a glance at Minho, the man he knew now to be the doctor who saved him and the guards sitting near the entrance before relaxing. A smile, genuine smile was on his face as he laid his head against the wall behind him. Jonghyun gently sat next to him, holding the bowl in his lap close enough for Jinki to take some out to eat. After swallowing, he quietly stated, “You should be preparing for the trek back to your Kingdom.”

           “What trek?” Jonghyun’s fingers tapped quietly on the side of the bowl. “I am not going anywhere until you are good enough to move.”

           “Oh, Love,” Jinki whispered, letting the spoon fall into the bowl. “There is no place for me in your world. There wasn’t then and there isn’t now. I cannot go with you.”

           “What?” He breathed out, almost dropping the bowl entirely as his heart rate spiked, eyes widening and hands shaking slightly. “After so long we… we have each other now and you just... Expect me to leave you?”

           Jinki lifted his left hand to cup Jonghyun’s cheek, thumb moving over his skin softly. “I am a wanted man in Yohal. Haven’t you noticed how your men have looked at me? The moment I cross that border, they will arrest me.”

           “I will not allow it.”

           “I know you would try.” His hand remained as he pushed off the wall. Even as the groan of pain left his lips, he pressed on until their lips melded together. “I love you, Jonghyun, I do, and I wish that we could have our happy ending together, but look deep down Love, and then tell me if you see a life with me in Yohal.”

           “Once I’m King I can pardon you completely. I can keep you safe.”

           “And until then? Am I to hide my love for you again?”

           “That’s not what I meant.”

           “But that is what it would mean.” Jinki leaned back once more, eyes fluttering closed as pain throbbed in his shoulder. “I cannot love you in secret again Jonghyun and I would be in hiding for who knows how long. Could you love me in secret for another decade?”

           “I-” His gaze fell as he placed the bowl to the left of him on the floor. “No, I don’t think I could.”

           Jinki took his hand into his, squeezing it gently. “I think you know what we must do, Love.”

           Slowly, Jonghyun’s gaze rose, his eyelashes b with almost shed tears. “I just found you. I can’t watch you walk away.”

           “I’ll write to you, Love. I do not wish to run away from you again.” Jinki’s eyes were soft and warm, his exhaustion clearly evident even as he smiled prettily. “And when the time comes when you become King, I’ll be waiting for the word.”

           “You’ll return to me?”

           Jinki lifted his hand to kiss his palm softly. “I always should have. This time I promise I will.”

           After laughing quietly and wiping his eyes Jonghyun smiled, “Will you allow me to lie with you?”

           “Haven’t you already?” Jinki asked, amusement lining his voice.

           With pink dusted cheeked, Jonghyun mumbled, “Possibly.”

           “But yes, after I finish the food, you can rest with me.” The bowl was picked up again and held as Jonghyun shifted closer.

-------

           Minho had gone outside of the cave sometime before. Whether it was to leave them alone or to actually search for berries in the woods around them, neither were sure. After finishing the bowl of porridge and drinking most of the flask of water, Jinki had been settled down to lay flat once more. There was a bed mat curled in a roll under his head. Jonghyun was very softly leaning against him, head on the left side of his chest. Jinki had his head turned toward him, nose pressed into his hair, gently breathing in his scent. He had fallen asleep a long time before Jonghyun had drifted off himself.

           He hadn’t stayed asleep very long, but Jonghyun didn’t want to jostle Jinki too much. With a hazy smile on his face, he played with Jinki’s fingers resting on his stomach. He was warm and solid against him. Without the looming fear of losing him completely over his head, Jonghyun could feel the familiar safety of his embrace.

           He was reminded of their last night so long ago. The last thing he remembered of that night was curling up into Jinki’s side, getting a kiss pressed to his hair and a very gentle I love you whispered as the grip around him tightened. He fell asleep with Jinki behind him and expected to wake up just as he had now. Except, he woke up to live the worst years of his life.

           Too soon for his liking, he would have to say goodbye, even when all of his heart wished to cling to Jinki and never let him go again. He understood the danger of Jinki returning to his kingdom. A part of him wondered why he never noticed the wanted posters and the bounties that were issued for his crimes. Had he seen them and just not made the connection, or was his mind too focused on the devastating loss he felt?

           “Love?”

           His thoughts froze completely at the whispered call of his pet name. A smile pulled at Jinki’s lips as he caught his gaze. “How are you feeling?”

           “Tingly.”

           “That would probably be the pain salve Minho put on your replacement bandage.”

           “Mm. Right.”

           Jonghyun pushed off the floor, leaning on his left hand and gently brushing Jinki’s hair from his face. “Are you thirsty, Sweets?”

           “A little.” He smacked his mouth a few times before.

           Holding Jinki’s head up, he lifted a canteen to his lips, pouring fresh water into his mouth. “There you go. Take it easy.”

           After swallowing, he glanced around the room. “Still alone I see. I wonder if our affectionate ways scared them off.”

           “With how much Minho saw of my anguish when you were unconscious, I doubt this would scare him off.” Jinki was staring at him intently, causing Jonghyun to pink from the intensity. “What?” 

           “You’re beautiful.”

           “Jinki~”

           “Maybe it’s the pain reliever talking, but will you kiss an injured fool?”

           He caressed his jaw lovingly, leaning in to gently press their lips together. “There are many years of kisses we must catch up on.”

           “A memory for you to think of in the coming years, my love.” Jinki moved a curl of hair from Jonghyun’s forehead. “I never forgot how breathtaking you are, but somehow, I’m still startled in your presence.”

           “For such a rugged pirate, you sure are a romantic.”

           “What can I say? I’m charming.”

           “Yes… very charming.” He whispered before he kissed him again, deepening it quickly. The kisses were soft but persistent, the need underneath slipping through. It was a bit longer before they pulled apart, noses brushing as mirrored smiles spread on their faces.

------

           Two more days passed and Jinki gained more strength. By that afternoon, he was up and moving around the cave and surrounding areas. The soldiers kept a close eye on him as subtly as they could, but he could still feel their gazes upon him. He was sitting on the edge of the stream, using an old cloth to clean himself off slightly, when he glanced up the small cliff where a few were standing. “You know, I’m starting to believe they think I’m going to murder you in broad daylight.”

           Jonghyun turned a little, rising more from the water to look in the same direction. He laughed quietly as he swam closer, hands gently finding purchase on Jinki’s thighs. “They’re just doing their duty in guaranteeing my safe return.”

           “I wonder if they’d stop watching so intently if I took you against the banks.”

           “Jinki!”

           His deep laughter rang through the calm of the afternoon, eyes crinkling. He stifled his laughter to act seriously. “I apologize. That’s no way for me to speak to a crowned Prince.”

           “Uh huh.”

           He ran a hand over Jonghyun’s wet hair, humming quietly as he leaned forward. His lips were against the curve of his ear as he whispered, “The rouge of your cheeks gave away your true thoughts on such a proposition.”

           “You are insufferable.” He claimed before pushing off to swim in the deeper water.

           Jinki grinned. “Quite so. That will never change.”

------

           The dreadful day of goodbye came a few days later. Jinki couldn’t use his right arm for much, but he could move without much pain or aid, and Jonghyun knew he couldn’t order the men around him to stay longer than they already had. They walked side by side in silence toward the border between the two kingdoms, each of their horse’s led by the reins on the outside of them. The carriage behind them rattled down the path. “We’re almost there.”

           Jonghyun glanced over to his right quickly, sighing softly. “I know.”

           “Just past that ridge there,” Jinki stopped slowly, pressing his lips together. “This is as far as I can go.”

           “Wait here.”

           Jinki stood and watched Jonghyun walk back to the carriage and his men. Very quiet words were exchanged before they continued down the path past him. Jonghyun returned slowly, dreading what was about to happen next. As the men rounded the ridge and entered the Kingdom of Yohal, Jonghyun took Jinki’s left hand between both of his, lifting it to his lips to kiss his knuckles. Jinki sadly smiled, “I’ll send word to you when I get to where I’m going. I promise to keep in contact, Love.”

           “As much as I don’t want to say goodbye, I am happy I get to this time.” Jonghyun abruptly wrapped his arms around him tightly, pressing his nose into Jinki’s neck. “Please don’t forget about me.”

           “How could I? Thirteen years passed and you were always in my heart. What is a few more?” Jinki pulled away, just enough to kiss his forehead. “Oh, Love. Don’t cry.”

           “Just.. hold me. Just hold me for a moment longer.”

           “As long as you need.” And he did. He held him as tightly as he could with his good arm, nose pressed into his neck and eyes squeezed shut. A long, deep kiss was shared before Jinki brushed their noses together.  “I don’t expect you to wait for me.”

           “What?!” Jonghyun pulled back roughly, eyes wide for just a moment before they softened. “I have tried for years to find love in someone else, much like I know you must have. Deep down I knew you were my one and only, and I had accepted that I’d never love like you again.”

           Jinki’s bottom lip quivered ever so slightly, tears threatening to fall from his eyes as he stared into Jonghyun’s. “I love you.”

           “And I you. Forever and always.”

           After another long moment, Jinki sighed, cupping Jonghyun’s cheek and caressing ever so softly with his thumb. “It’s time to go.”

           “Goodbye, Sweets.”

           “Not goodbye, just until next time, Love.”

           Jinki saddled his horse and watched as Jonghyun walked toward the ridge. Just before he disappeared from sight he turned and looked back, tears still on his lashes as he smiled. This wasn’t goodbye forever. He had to remember that.

           Then he was out of sight and Jinki’s heart filled with the familiar ache. He kicked the side of his horse and pulled the reins, turning to the left away from Yohal’s border and toward the south where he knew the port city of Mexru was. There he’d send word to his first mate. Kibum probably already have five different ways planned to skin him alive for disappearing as he had.

-------