Scar

Scar

 

It was a sunny day; Tiffany’s father was drinking his cup of coffee while reading the newspaper in his hand. Taking sip after sip, he waited for his daughter to wake up and have breakfast with him in the lawn like they usually do. She yawned after looking at the view through the window and did her morning routine. Before stepping out of the shower, she saw the huge scar on her back, trailing from the shoulder blades down to her spine. She got it from a car accident, the drunk driver crashed his car onto her body, they thought she wouldn’t be able to stand up anymore. Her husband, Siwon, he got sick of her that whenever they tried to make love, he wouldn’t. He hated her scar, he hated how her skin became so rough, he hated how she looked like that turned to be disgusting-looking, so he left -filed divorce papers and never came back. But still, she loved him.

“My darling, good morning.”

She smiled, “Good morning, daddy.”

“How’s my baby doing?” He smiled back as he put down the newspaper and talk to his daughter.

She sat down in front of him and replied, “I’m fine, daddy. By the way, the company I work in was sold off to Kim Enterprises.”

“Yeah, I saw.” He pointed at the newspaper he held a while ago.

Headline: CEO Kim Taeyeon buys a bankrupt clothing company.

Kim Taeyeon, CEO of the Kim Enterprise, age 28, was an orphan and was adopted by the bachelor Kim Jiwoong, who died in an illness 2 years ago. After succeeding the position, she miraculously rose the bar and bought different industries wherein most he had saved from bankruptcy. Apparently, Blanc & Éclair had bumped into circumstances that caused the company to fail but the CEO Kim Taeyeon steps in and buys the company.

She couldn’t help but say wow. ‘She’s so young yet so talented and successful at such a young age. She’s pretty too doesn’t look like much her age.’

“I’ve got to go, dad. I’ll see you next week.” She said before kissing him on the cheek.

He frowned, “Can’t you stay another night? Or until dinner in the least?”

 She mentally rolled my eyes. ‘Seriously, my daddy is so clingy.’

“Nope. Bye, I love you.”

 

---

 

 

“So, are you ready to meet your boss’ boss?”

Jessica, her best friend and boss, are sitting right now on the couch in her office. They were waiting for CEO Kim to arrive for an ocular visit.

“Do I really have to be here?” Tiffany deadpanned.

“Of course! You’re my secretary. Besides, we’re actually lucky we got saved. My Yuri can’t buy the company yet since the Kwon Group isn’t hers yet, so she asked her best friend Taeyeon instead.”

This was the first time Tiffany heard this that left her in shock, “So you asked your fiancée to ask her best friend and buy the company?!”

“No, I asked Yuri if there’s any way to save the company and the workers and apparently, she asked her best friend without even telling me. I did get mad, but I guess that’s how my Yuri loves me so much, she’d even beg someone to save me.”

She facepalmed seeing Jessica praise her girl dreamily.

“By the way, don’t get mesmerized with the CEO later.”

Jessica’s tone was so flat that her best friend did not fail to notice the look in her eyes.

“She’s rumored seducing women to one-night stands and then dump them after .”

She sighed, “You do know that I don’t fall in love. Not after Siwon left me.”

“I know. After rejecting all those employees and businessmen, I trust you. Just warning you because I love you as my best friend.”

A few seconds later, they heard a knock from the door. They quickly straightened their clothes and the raven-haired woman reached the door to turn it open.

“Welcome, CEO Kim.”

‘Woah. She is so beautiful… and short?! But that’s cute nonetheless. She was wearing white long sleeves with a checkered vest on top, matched with black slacks and black oxfords. Her long brown hair complemented her fairly-white skin, and those jawlines, she was perfect. Unlike me.’

“Good day,” she smiled, “Please just call me Taeyeon. I like using first name basis with people I work with.”

‘She seems nice?’

“Well then, Taeyeon, I will be the one to accompany you for the tour, I’m Jessica and this Tiffany, my secretary.”

“Pleased to meet you, Jessica, Tiffany.”

And after handshakes, they went straight to business and started the ocular visit.

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon, an investor just called, would it be okay if Tiffany will be with you for the ocular?”

“I don’t mind.” She smiled.

“Hello again, Ms. Taeyeon.” Tiffany bowed.

“Just Taeyeon is enough. And we can skip the formalities. Shall we continue with the tour?”

Tiffany nodded and walked in front of her as the CEO followed along. They walked through halls and corridors, offices, departments, the secretary announced the presence of the new boss to every staff, which they welcomed greatly. After the tour, they headed back to Jessica’s office using the elevator.

“Say, Tiffany, are you free sometime this week?”

“I’d like to invite you for dinner.” Tiffany saw the smug look on her face.

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon, I’m afraid I don’t.” She professionally said, hiding her clenched fists.

“Really? I’m willing to invite you for more than a dinner though.”

‘So this is what Jessica has been telling me. I thought the rumors were just as it was supposed to be, rumors, but nah.’

The secretary felt her fingers crawling along her hips, “Stop! If there’s something I want, just leave me alone. Don’t you ask me again or I’ll sue you for ual harassment!” she half-shouted before scurrying out of the room. But the short girl stopped her from doing so by grabbing her arm.

“I’m sorry. I know how difficult it is to say no to me when I’m technically your boss. Please accept my apology, I won’t ask ever again.”

‘She’s sincere. I could tell by looking at her eyes. And I’m glad she has morals but then, I could have gotten myself fired instantly.’

“It’s fine, Taeyeon.” She smiled.

‘Tiffany, you’re an idiot.’

 

For Taeyeon, it’s the first time someone rejected her that way. After all, women mainly sought after the wealth she has now. Some have rejected her, yes, but that’s because they found out her physical distortions. She has a male organ. She was able to tell that the girls she slept with only accepted to have since she was rich, but she knew better than those girls keeping the disgust they felt, so she dumped them right after.

‘This girl… I can’t believe I felt a slight pang in my chest when rejected me.’ Taeyeon thought.

“These are the employees’ resume.”

“Thank you, Seohyun.”

She was scanning all the documents back in her original office and saw Tiffany’s in the middle. She took it in her hand and put down the others.

‘Hmm, let’s see.’

Tiffany Young. Age 27.

And the list goes on.

‘Tiffany… she’s such a beautiful woman, with morals. She has the will to reject me too, her boss.

I want her.

She would be an excellent partner in bed.

I’m greedy now, aren’t I?’

“Oh, by the way, Taeyeon. Leo Hwang invited you to his birthday party at his house this Saturday at 7 o’clock.” Informed Seohyun.

‘Leo Hwang?’

“I have heard of him but I’m not sure.”

“He’s the Chairman of the Hwang Shipping Company. Top among the others globally. I think it would be great to keep relations with him.”

She sniggered at her PA, “You really make an excellent PA, Seo. I’ll attend the party then.”

“Will do, unnie.”

‘I guess I’ll talk to Tiffany again this Friday.’

 

---

 

Tiffany was called in the office. Jessica told her that Taeyeon was doing interviews with all the employees, to get familiar with everyone, he stated.

“That’s it. Thank you for today, Tiffany. I hope you won’t get sick of my face anytime soon.” She joked.

“Thank you too, Taeyeon. I’m sure I won’t.”

“Changing the topic, will you come with me this Saturday for dinner? I want to get to know you more if you’d let me.”

‘Wha-?’ “You promised you wouldn’t ask anymore, Taeyeon.”

She sulked, “I know, but I’m not asking you out for or anything of sort. I’m serious about you.”

“Excuse me.” It became so uncomfortable enough to make the secretary blush, she hurriedly bowed and walked off trying to hide her pink cheeks.

“Ah! Tiffany!”

The next moment, she realized she was pinned at the door with the CEO’s lips on hers.

‘So gentle but full of passion, so unlike Siwon’s. I could recognize her desire to have me, to want me, to make me hers’.

“You are so beautiful.” Her hand caressed the cheek of the latter, which finally woke up from the dream Tiffany was having.

“Don’t touch me!” She slapped her hand away and pushed her back. Tiffany can see her surprised expression, so confused. “I can’t, and I won’t ever be with you!”

“Tiffany!”

 

---

 

‘I just want to get drunk and forget all that happened today.’ Tiffany thought while sipping the wine in her glass on hand. She sat on her couch in her apartment wearing only a silk robe. Later on, her phone rang.

“Hello?”

[Tiffany…]

‘Taeyeon?! Why in the world is she calling me this late?’

“How did you know my number?!”

[I got it from the employees’ directory. I apologize, I know it’s late, but I have a question that I can’t get off my mind.]

“What is it?”

[… Why did you reject me?]

‘Why?’

[I’m actually outside your apartment right now. The guard wouldn’t let me pass. Can I come in? If that’s okay with you and your housemate.]

“I live alone. I’ll call the guard. My flat’s room number is 411.”

‘It’s now or never. I’m sure you’ll hate me too, Taeyeon.’

“Hi, welcome, Taeyeon.”

The presence of Tiffany in her robes only caught Taeyeon in a surprise. She couldn’t deny she was in an instant but held onto her self-control. Tiffany was bad for her. She doesn’t know how much Taeyeon was struggling that moment.

“Would you like a drink? I was drinking wine when you called.” She said while pouring her glass.

“I’m fine, I don’t have much tolerance in alcohol either. Thank you for the offer.” Taeyeon smiled politely.

“Your place sure doesn’t seem ordinary.” She added.

“My father bought it for me, I couldn’t say no… You said you wanted to know the reason why I turned you down?”

The CEO watched the woman in her robes sitting in front of her with the woman’s legs crossed, she watched the woman looking down with brown orbs that reflected sadness. Tiffany stood up and turned around with her back facing the brunette. She untied her robe, which flustered Taeyeon, but soon calmed down when she saw the noticeable scar on the woman’s back.

‘This is why.’

“I was involved in accident a few years ago and got this scar. My ex-husband, Siwon, he left me because I looked ugly with this. Ever since, I stopped believing that someone would want me the way I am, broken. No one wants to be with someone who’s broken, right?”

She heard her laugh and sniffle at the same time.

“He was right, wasn’t he? I’m so ugly. You can leave now if you want. No one would want to stay with an ugly woman like me.” She said while tying her robe back.

Taeyeon immediately embraced her from the back. “You’re not. If anything, you are so beautiful, Tiffany. You’re so perfect, elegant, you’re everything I could ask for. But I can’t stay with you.”

“Taeyeon?”

“You deserve someone better.” She smiled at the taller woman and wiped the tears that flowed.

But the tears won’t stop, “So you don’t want me too, like everybody else.”

And she kissed her, “You’re wrong. You’re just too good for me.”

“Then stay… even just for tonight.”

“If that’s what you wish for, I’ll stay with you.”

It wasn’t long until fervent kisses turned into passionate ones. Their desire for each bloomed that night, they didn’t hold back at all. Tiffany found out Taeyeon’s secret, which Taeyeon explained that it was part reason how she understands to be broken. The CEO even told the secretary the fact the women rejected her a lot because of her male organ. So, when Taeyeon said that she was far more broken than Tiffany, she immediately silenced her with another kiss. And they had all night.

“I can’t stay with you.”

It struck Tiffany that morning when Taeyeon mentioned it again from last night. The secretary asked her to stay, not just for that night. She wanted her to stay by her side, she loves her. She confessed so.

“Why?”

“I can’t be in a relationship with someone I don’t love. I wanted you, yes. But if you commit to me, it would be unfair to you.”

She laughed painfully, “I see. I understand. Thank you for everything, Taeyeon.” She gave her a teary eye-smile for the last time. Because the day after, she filed her resignation letter to the company and quit.

It would be a lie if that didn’t bother Taeyeon at all. The second she was handed the resignation letter, she was far more than shocked, she was devastated. Tiffany is leaving -it was all she could think of. But she couldn’t not accept the letter. It was her fault anyway. She rejected her, right? Then why the pain? Perhaps, because she really didn’t know what she felt for real. She rejected Tiffany because she was unsure of her feelings. She was unsure if they would be able to feel real love. They could’ve been just swept away by emotions, because they were both sad, both broken, both lonely, that they started to want each other. It’s unfair to accept Tiffany’s confession if Taeyeon wasn’t sure of hers yet.

 

---

 

Two months later…

“Happy birthday, Daddy!”

“Why thank you, my darling.”

Today was the birthday of Tiffany’s father. 2 months ago, she went back to her father’s house, telling him that she quit the job and was ready to study in inheriting her father’s business. The old man was so overjoyed that his daughter finally planned to stay in his house though not permanently, long enough to bond with his only and favorite daughter.

“By the way, darling, I have a very important guest later at the party. Can I ask you to be his host?” Leo pleaded.

“Even if I can decline, if it’s my dear father and his birthday today, I can’t say no.”

“Yes! I love you so much.”

He pulled her into a tight hug, which earned a giggle from Tiffany. But when her sense of smell became way too sensitive, she pulled back from the hug and ran away to the nearest bathroom.

“Stephanie?”

He rushed to his daughter’s side and assisted her in throwing up.

“You feel better, darling?”

She nodded, “Yeah, I probably ate something bad this morning.”

Her father laughed, “You probably did. I’ll just get water for you.”

Staying at her bed, she kept thinking about what she ate in the morning. However, it occurred to her that she wasn’t able to eat breakfast since she woke up late. She also realized that her period was late too, so it couldn’t mean that she was having menstrual symptoms.

‘Am I pregnant?!’

She ran to another room, the maids’ room to be exact and took some pregnancy test kits.

‘Positive? This one too?! They’re all positive! I’m having a child… with Taeyeon?!’

 

 

 

The night came, Tiffany wore a red dress that suited her complexion, which caught the attention of many men. The thoughts about her having a child still did bug her but tried her best not to think about it much. The thought of having the child is really disappointing for her, she wanted it. The baby is Taeyeon’s. And the least she could get to be happy, to be linked somehow with someone she loved, she still does, to carry the child of that person would become her happiness.

“I want you to meet my special guest, Stephanie.”

Two people met with wide-eyes after seeing the person in front of each other. After two months of no contact, they met once more, at the former secretary’s father’s birthday nonetheless.

“Taeyeon!”

“Tiffany!”

Leo smiled, “So you do know each other. Taeyeon, my daughter here will be your host. I’ll leave the guest to your hands, Stephanie.”

And her father left. It was awkward at first but Taeyeon decided to break the silence while they walk through corridors.

“So you're Leo Hwang’s daughter. I thought your name is Tiffany Young? What happened to the Hwang surname?”

“I changed my name after coming from Korea. It was my registered name when I started being a model when I was younger.”

‘So many things I failed to know about you…’

Taeyeon’s thought was ceased when she heard the latter make a weird noise as if like she was going to puke.

“Are you okay?” She immediately attended the woman and went to her room as it was the nearest. She let Tiffany throw up in the toilet while Taeyeon stayed behind the bathroom door and looked around the neat room. He found some books, notebooks, cosmetics, photos, and what caught his eye were the used pregnancy kits that were lying on the table top. It didn’t take long until he realizes that one plus one is equal to what was actually happening. He ran to the bathroom, looking at the tired woman that was sitting on the floor. She stopped throwing up, so he handed her a bottled water that he saw on the table.

“I’m sorry about that.”

“Are you pregnant?”

They were now sitting on the bed beside each other. It surprised Tiffany for Taeyeon to know about her secret.

“I saw the test kits… I-is it mine?”

“Yes.”

A straightforward answer.

“But don’t worry, it’s okay if you won’t take responsibility. I want this child, at least I would no longer be alone.”

“I love you.”

A straightforward confession.

“I told you I couldn’t stay because I was unsure of what I felt that time. I’m sorry, I should’ve been more honest with you. This time, I want to stay, Tiffany, for sure, not just for tonight, but for every single day.”

While Taeyeon was giving her speech, the latter was crying so hard. She was so happy at the fact that her love was returned. Taeyeon loves her. That’s what all that mattered to her at that moment.

“We’re going to have a child but I don’t want to marry you immediately. I need you to be ready first, and I’ll have to make arrangements with the proposal.” She smiled.

“Till then, I want you to marry me, Tiffany.” Taeyeon whispered as she embraced the woman to her heart.

And the woman nodded, “I will.”