nayeon x jeongyeon

take my hand and drag me head first

“I’m already out. I’ll be there in five.”

Nayeon smiled when she saw Jeongyeon’s messages on her phone. She put on a hoodie, over her pajamas, and carefully sneaked out of her house just like she had done a thousand times before. She knew exactly where they were going to meet, even if the messages hadn’t specified anything.

They had this routine, for whenever Jeongyeon was forced to attend one of the multiple dinners her parents organized at their home, which usually congregated the most influential people in their town and were terribly insufferable. They all knew Jeongyeon hated them, and even though she never said anything explicitly Nayeon could tell they took a toll on her.

She imagined having to stand those snobs for so long and pretending to enjoy their company was enough for anyone to need a little unwinding afterwards. Which was why they had come to establish this habit of meeting as soon as Jeongyeon was able to get out. They always came to the same place, the playground where they had spent most of their hours when they were just children. It was close to both of their homes and it was always empty this time of the night, so they didn’t have to worry about anyone finding them there.

When Nayeon finally arrived, Jeongyeon was already there standing next to the swings. “You look pretty.” She told her teasingly, laughing when the other girl whined. She rarely wore dresses, but her parents forced to for those dinners. She obviously hated that, but Nayeon’s words were actually sincere. She did look very pretty, although maybe hers wasn’t the most impartial opinion. She’d look gorgeous to her in anything.

“Shut up. Why did it take you so long? I think you’re becoming slower in your old age.”

“Idiot.” Nayeon grumbled. “Maybe now I shouldn’t share with you the reason why it actually took me a little longer to get here.” She took out a bag of candy from her pocket. They were Jeongyeon’s favorite, and she had only purchased them that afternoon hoping they would help in cheering her up now.

“So you’re going to eat that whole bag on your own?”

“Maybe.” She teased, playing it cool as she sat down on the swing and started to sway slightly.

“You wouldn’t do that.” Jeongyeon pouted, and she let out a laugh. She looked too cute to resist.

“Come here, you’re such a baby.” She held out a piece of candy for Jeongyeon to take, but she wasn’t expecting the other girl to do so with . Her lips grazed Nayeon’s fingers, and she could feel herself blush. It seemed to be a common occurrence when she was with Jeongyeon lately.

Nayeon wasn’t stupid. She knew what it all meant, why her heart beat faster whenever she was close to her, why she couldn’t take her eyes off her, why she couldn’t stop thinking about her. And, sometimes, she thought maybe she wasn’t the only one feeling that way. Whenever she caught Jeongyeon staring at her, or when their hugs seemed to last a little longer than before and feel a little more intimate.

Still, she hadn’t mustered the courage to do anything about it. There was too much at stake. Jeongyeon had been her best friend for pretty much her whole life, her partner in crime, her biggest support, and she didn’t know what she would do without her.

But, no matter how much she feared a possible rejection, she believed that their bond was too strong to be broken by something like that. Even if Jeongyeon didn’t feel the same, even if it was awkward at first, they’d get through it like they always did. Nayeon wasn’t the type to keep things hidden and hoping they would go away. She always put truth first, and she planned to do just that with this too.

“So, how was it?”

“Awful, as usual.” Jeongyeon shrugged her shoulders. She had taken the other swing, and she looked down as she dragged her feet. “I hate them all.”

“I know you do.” Nayeon ruffled her hair, smiling when she got the reaction she expected out of Jeongyeon. The other girl complained loudly, and she just laughed knowing that her actions at least served to take Jeongyeon’s mind off the terrible evening and whatever dark thoughts were plaguing her.

“Have I told you I really like your hair?” She said as she kept running her fingers through it carefully this time, attempting to fix the mess she had made before. Jeongyeon had cut her hair short a couple of weeks ago. It had been mainly to piss off her parents, and her plan had certainly worked, but Nayeon thought it suited her. She had been literally speechless when she saw her for the first time, and Jihyo still about it.

“Only a thousand times.”

“I know, but you look really pretty.” As much as Jeongyeon liked to pretend she didn’t like affection, she hadn’t uttered a single complaint at Nayeon brushing her hair with her fingers all this time. In fact, she could feel the other girl relaxing because of it.

“You’re just saying that.”

“I’m really not.” Nayeon’s tone was more serious than before as she looked right into her eyes, and Jeongyeon blushed. “Jeong, do you think we’ll always be friends?”

“Of course.” She answered without any hesitation.

“So you don’t think there could be anything that would ruin our friendship?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Even if I say I really want to kiss you right now?” Her voice was barely above a whisper, but it shocked Jeongyeon just as much as if she had yelled the words. It took her a few moments to process it all, but Nayeon was patient.

“Are you being serious?” She had to ask.

“Of course I am. So, can I?”

“Can you wha-“ Jeongyeon mumbled as Nayeon got up and stepped closer to her, leaving only a small space between them. Enough for Jeongyeon to move away if she wanted to. Enough to stop her if this wasn’t what she wanted.

“Can I kiss you?”

Jeongyeon knew no words would come out of if she tried to speak. So, instead, she just nodded and did her best to ignore the pounding of her heart as Nayeon cupped her cheek and slowly leaned in closer.

Nayeon kissed her softly, carefully. Although she tried not to show it she was so nervous her hands were shaking, and she could feel Jeongyeon place her hand on top of hers to still it as she deepened the kiss. As far as first kisses go, she would say it was pretty perfect. Their noses bumped awkwardly as they went for another one, but they just laughed it off and somehow it made the feeling of warmth in her chest intensify.

They spent almost all night in the playground, cuddled up together to keep warm, talking about every silly thing they could think of and exchanging soft kisses. Now that they had finally started, they couldn’t stop. It was as if they had to make up for all the lost time they had wasted waiting to be brave enough. They knew that no matter how right it all felt it wouldn’t be easy at all, but in that moment they couldn’t care less about the obstacles and the troubles that awaited them.

Maybe because they still couldn’t know that their time would run out far too fast.