Strawberries and Cigarettes

Strawberries and Cigarettes

 

 

“What are these?” Jaejoong said as he looked up at his sister when she dumped a jar of candy.

“Candies.” Mikyeong shrugged, sitting at the foot of Jaejoong’s bed. “I’m getting fat. And you never get fat. So being the greatest sister, I’m sharing you my precious candies.”

“But I don’t like candies.” Jaejoong whined, pushing the jar back to his sister.

“Minkyung eoni said I should check on you because you’ve been acting weird lately.” Mikyeong said and she watched as Jaejoong pulled the covers back up to cover his face. Mikyeong pulled the covers down and stared at her brother. “Did someone bully you at school?”

“No.” Jaejoong answered.

“Did you fail?”

“I didn’t.”

Mikyeong stared at Jaejoong for a moment before huffing and opening the jar. She took out one candy and opened it. “You have a crush, don’t you?”

Jaejoong didn’t answer, instead, he gathered the sheets up and covered himself completely. He felt embarrassed because he has never spoken about his crush to any of his sisters. But yesterday was a game changer and he felt like his heart could burst. He felt the bed shift and before he could protest, his sister’s already lying next to him.

“So?”

“He’s a boy.” Jaejoong whispered, waiting for a shocked response but he heard nothing so he continued, “I have a crush on him since 2nd year. And it was all going well because there is almost absolutely no interaction between us. But yesterday was different.” He paused.

“Did he say he likes you too?” Mikyeong urged encouragingly, careful to not further embarrass her brother.

“No. But he said hi to me.” Jaejoong mumbled against the sheet. The memory of Yunho walking past him at the corridor, stopping to say hi before his attention was caught by his friends and left Jaejoong stunned.

Mikyeong was quiet for three seconds before she bursted out laughing that Jaejoong had to kick her out of the bed and she fell to the ground. It should hurt, but there was a more pressing matter here that instead of getting mad, she continued laughing out loud. “Oh Jaejoong.”

“Go away!” Jaejoong said as he stood up from his bed and dragged his sister out of his room. “You’re so annoying!” He added, kicking her sister down the hallway and slamming the door shut. He hid under his covers again when he heard his sister announce his crush to the whole house. They were all laughing. He hated them.

--

But Jaejoong, despite being embarrassed by his parents and 5 sisters who still live with them, couldn’t shake the growing feelings he had for Yunho. Because Yunho? How should he begin to explain why it’s Jung Yunho?

He’s smart. And talented. And cool. And handsome. And he seemed funny by the looks of how his friends laughed along when he would crack a joke. Jaejoong wished he knew what jokes Yunho liked to tell so he can laugh at them too but he couldn’t because he only watched Yunho from the sides. The closest he ever had with Yunho was that greeting at the hallway which was 2 weeks ago.

Thinking about Yunho and his perfect nose is difficult especially when exams are coming and he needed to study. He looked at his notes and saw the tiny doodle he did on the corner of a page of his math book. “Please look at me.” He remembered writing that because Mr. Han is boring and Yunho was sitting 3 rows in front of him. He figured, he shouldn’t keep doodling his feelings on his notebook since it distracts him from studying.

He looked around and saw his sister’s jar of candies. Well, writing it in the wrapper will surely not get in the way of things he needed to focus on. Taking the strawberry flavored candy, he unwrapped it and wrote what he wanted to say to Yunho. He wished it was as easy to write it on a candy wrapper as it was to straight up talk to Yunho.

--

Jaejoong normally rides with his sister to school but since she’s been feeling funny lately, she decided to stay at home and rest so Jaejoong was forced to ride the bus. He stood at the bus station and patiently waited, sending weird memes to his friend Junsu. It was 10 minutes before the scheduled arrival of the bus when the operator at the bus stop announced that there will be a delay of an hour because the bus was stuck in a traffic due to an accident.

“. Bus is gonna be late. I’ll walk to the next station.” He typed to Junsu.

“If you’re just around the corner, we can give you a ride. :(“ Junsu replied.

“It’s okay. It’s still early anyway. See you at school!” He sent with a big grin emoji.

“You too!” Junsu sent back. He was pocketing his phone when he noticed a very familiar person in a motorcycle nearing the sidewalk where he is.

Jaejoong stopped on his tracks and waited, willing his heart to stop beating out of his ribcage. When the motorcycle stopped in front of him, Jaejoong stopped breathing. The rider took off his helmet and fixed his disheveled hair. He flashed Jaejoong a bright smile before saying, “Hey! You’re the kid from Math class, right? Kim Jaejoong?”

“Uhm…” was Jaejoong’s intelligent reply before clearing his throat and walking closer to Yunho. The Jung Yunho.

“I can give you a lift to school.” Yunho offered, stepping out to get the extra helmet from his motorcycle compartment. “If you like.”

“Is… Is it okay?” Jaejoong said in a whisper, looking dumbly at the helmet that Yunho is offering.

“Sure. Unless you want to be late?”

“No. Wait. Hold on.” Jaejoong said as he scrambled to take out his phone and typed quickly. “OMG” and sent it to Junsu. When he looked up at Yunho again, he saw that dazzling smile on the lips that Jaejoong’s been dreaming of for years. “Th-thanks!” He said, taking the helmet and putting it on.

Yunho watched as Jaejoong fumbled on the lock and stepped forward to grab it from Jaejoong, lightly brushing his fingers against Jaejoong. “There.” He said, his minty breath fanning against Jaejoong’s face. “Hop on.”

When they were both sitting comfortably, Yunho reached for Jaejoong’s hand behind him and securely wrapped it around his waist. He turned behind him to tell Jaejoong, “Hold tight. I don’t want you falling over.”

When the motorbike moved, and Jaejoong felt Yunho speed up, he pressed himself closer to Yunho and clutched on the boy’s uniform. He didn’t know if Yunho could feel his heart beat fast against his back. As they went against the wind, Jaejoong realized, this must be a wonderful dream.

--

When they arrived at the school, Jaejoong hopped of the bike first and waited for Yunho to park his bike properly before handing the helmet back. “Thank you for the ride.”

“Sure. Anytime.” Yunho said, as if waiting for Jaejoong to say more. He looked behind Jaejoong and saw another boy from their math class standing by the entrance of the school. “You’re friend’s waiting for you.” He told Jaejoong.

Jaejoong looked behind him and saw Junsu with a raised eyebrow. He looked back at Yunho with a blush on his face. “Thank you very much for the ride again.” And with that he jogged to Junsu and dragged him all the way to the school.

Yunho watched them disappear before making sure his bike is all settled in. He opened the side pocket of his bag to put his keys in when he noticed a piece of candy that surely wasn’t there this morning. He smiled to himself and took it when he felt someone jump behind him. “Hyung!” Changmin, his friend, had said. “Oh. Candy! Thanks.” Changmin reached out to get it but Yunho was quick to keep it away from him.

“This is mine.”

“You hate candies.”

“Well, I’m a changed man now.” Yunho said, quickly unwrapping the candy and popping it to his mouth. Changmin made a disgusted scowl before pushing his hyung away. “You’ll get cavity for being greedy.”

“Doesn’t matter. I know a dentist.” Yunho said, noticing the tiny scribbles in the candy wrapper: ‘Your smile is literally the cutest thing I have ever seen in my life.’ And truly, it made him smile.

“Just because you have perfect teeth doesn’t mean you can show it off all the time you know. You’ll still get cavities.” Changmin said, looking at Yunho weirdly.

--

“So… he knows your name?” Junsu said.

“And that we’re classmates in Math class.” Jaejoong added.

“Jaejoong, everybody knows your name. That doesn’t make it special.” Yoochun, one of Jaejoong’s friends, in.

“He let me rode his bike.”

“Yea, like half the school’s been on his bike. I’ve hopped in it too and so does Junsu.” Yoochun said.

“You did?” Jaejoong thinned his eyes to Junsu who defensively shook his hands.

“We had to buy something for the science project very quick! That’s all it.” Junsu explained.

Jaejoong dramatically sighed as he slumped on his chair. “I hate my life. Why can’t I be special?”

“Well, at least you have GaeRi who thinks you’re special.” Yoochun said, looking at the guy 3 seats away from them, ogling at Jaejoong. “Look, why don’t you just straight up ask him if he’s interested to go out for coffee or something.”

“Or maybe lantern festival? Maybe he wants to come with you!” Junsu excitedly added, feeling concerned for their friend and his steadily growing feelings for Yunho.

“I can’t. What if he says he’s not interested? That will break my heart Junsu. It’s best that I watch him from afar. I like seeing him smile. Hearing him laugh. Knowing that he’s just there.” Jaejoong whined.

“You’re hopeless.” Junsu and Yoochun said before leaving Jaejoong to sulk at the misery that Jung Yunho doesn’t treat him any special.

--

“So, Jaejoong… did Yunho invite you out for dinner already?” Mikyeong said as she giggled with their sister Sooyoung.

“Shut up.” Jaejoong groaned, kicking her from under the table.

“But doesn’t Yunho have a girlfriend?” Mikyung asked.

“No, he doesn’t!” Jaejoong exclaimed.

“He totally has. No handsome boy like him will be single by this time.” Yoosoon said.

“How do you even know what he looks like?”

“Oh, we sad a picture of him in your room under your pillow!” Seonhee said.

“There was none!” Jaejoong exclaimed, throwing dirty napkin to her sister. “Appa!”

“Stop messing with your little brother.” Papa Kim said, he turned to Jaejoong with a gentle smile and a wink. “If this Yunho’s gonna date my son, he better show up here.”

The whole table burst out laughing and left poor Jaejoong as red as tomato.

--

Yunho didn’t show up at their doorstep but he did show up 2 days after on his glorious bike. Jaejoong and his three sisters were just about to get on their oldest sister’s car when Yunho stopped by. “Jaejoong-ah!” he called, earning him 4 pairs of eyes. “Oh… sorry for intruding. I just passed by and saw Jaejoong. Good morning.” He sheepishly greeted the whole family.

“Actually, you’re right on time. Jaejoong you’ve gotten quite fat so I don’t think we can all fit in Yoosoon eoni’s car.” Sooyoung said, shoving Jaejoong out of the way, into Yunho’s direction.

“I am not fat!” Jaejoong exclaimed, a blush coming up hard on his cheeks.

“Please bring our Jaejoongie safe to school.” Mikyung told Yunho before she went in the car. “Bring him home too!”

“Our eomma cooks the best bulgogi!” Seonhee shouted before all them where in the car.

They were all giggling embarrassingly and Jaejoong knows that by this time, Yunho knows something’s up. Jaejoong watched the car go before looking at Yunho. “I’m sorry about my sisters. They are embarrassing.”

“You have 5 sisters? That’s a lot.” Yunho said, automatically handing Jaejoong a helmet without even asking.

“I actually have 8. The three left to work out of town.”

“Eight? Lucky I only have one.” Yunho said, hopping on the bike. “Well, what are you waiting for? Hop in.”

Shyly, Jaejoong hopped in, wrapping his hands around Yunho’s waist. Jaejoong was smiling all throughout the ride to school. As soon as they arrived, Junsu and Yoochun were waiting for him already, both with their eyebrows raised. Jaejoong bid Yunho goodbye and joined his friends. Once they were out of sight, Yunho scrambled to look at the side pocket of his bag. Indeed, there’s another candy in it.

“Was that Kim Jaejoong?” Changmin, coming out of nowhere again, asked from behind Yunho, eyeing the new candy on his hyung’s hand.

“He is.” Yunho said, popping the candy to him mouth and reading the scribble in it. ‘I think about you a little more than I should.’

Changmin was towering behind him and he realized he’s read what the note said because he heard him snort. “Oh god. You won’t get cavities. You’ll get a goddamn diabetes.” He said. “What are you? Children?”

“Shut up.” Yunho said, shoving his friend away and walking towards the school with a little jump on his feet.

--

Yunho is as popular with the girls as Jaejoong is popular with the boys. One week before the lantern festival, they saw each other by the hallway. Jaejoong was carrying a handful of gifts and flowers as a tradition of the school in order to court someone to come with them to the lantern festival while Yunho looked like he was running away from someone. From the other end of the hall, Yunho ran towards Jaejoong with a mischievous smile on his face. “What are those?”

“Oh… lantern festival gifts.” Jaejoong said.

Yunho looked around and pulled the unsuspecting student. He snatched Jaejoong’s gifts with both of his hands and before Jaejoong could protest, he dumped them all to the student. Those were probably from twenty or more boys and girls. “Do whatever you want with them.” He told the student before taking a hold of Jaejoong’s wrist and dragging him out of the school.

“Oppa!” Yunho winced as he saw the girls who was running after him.

“Hurry!” He told Jaejoong, a bright boyish smile on his face.

They hopped on the motorbike and sped out of the school. Jaejoong didn’t even get a chance to say goodbye to his friends.

They didn’t go straight home. Instead, Yunho stopped halfway and brought him to the highway overlooking the whole city. They were quiet the whole time and Jaejoong was patiently waiting for Yunho to say something. He was slightly disappointed because he liked those flowers. He heard something click, and when he looked beside him, Yunho was lighting a cigarette.

“That’s bad for you.” Jaejoong blurted out.

“Oh, you don’t smoke?” Yunho asked, blowing the smoke away from Jaejoong.

“No.” Jaejoong answered. “Why are we here, anyway?” Jaejoong grumbled.

“We’re here to admire the view.” Yunho said, looking at Jaejoong. “I’m here to admire the view.”

Jaejoong bit his lips and tried to resist looking at Yunho. “Why did you drag me along with you?”

“I don’t know.” Yunho said. “Maybe, because you’re the only familiar person I know who was in the way. I’ve been trying to lose those girls for hours the whole day. They’re like hyenas. They won’t leave me alone.”

“Oh, they can be persistent.”

“So are yours?”

“Yea. I kinda like the flowers, though.” Jaejoong muttered, kicking the invisible rocks on the floor.

“I’m sorry. I’ll give you new ones during the lantern festival. You’re coming right?” Yunho said, throwing the cigarette to the floor and putting it out.

“Yea. I’m coming with Junsu and Yoochun.” Jaejoong said, taking the helmet that Yunho was giving him.

“Great.” Yunho said. “Oh do you have a candy? I smell like cigarette.”

“Oh I have one here.” Jaejoong said as he felt his pockets for one of the candies. He’s already handed them to Yunho, and Yunho’s already opening the candy wrapper when Jaejoong realized what candy it was. “Oh my god!” he tried to snatch it away.

Yunho looked at him with that boyish smile again and kept the wrapper away from Jaejoong. Jaejoong desperately tried to get the wrapper from him. His hands reaching forward to Yunho’s hands which was behind Yunho. They were too close, almost hugging that Yunho smiled mischievously and tilted Jaejoong’s head upward from his chin. He reached in and kissed his lips. A gentle press at first. Jaejoong was too stunned to do anything. He just felt his knees weak and his body was almost falling that he had to something solid. He had to grab Yunho.

When his senses came back, he gasped and when his mouth opened, he felt Yunho’s tongue slide in. He closed his eyes and felt it at first. Yunho tasted like strawberries and cigarettes.

‘You have beautiful eyes. The kind I could get lost in.’

--

Jaejoong hated his sisters. Especially Mikyung. She hated him to the core because all she ever did was embarrass Jaejoong. Yunho was looking at Jaejoong dearly every time Mikyung would show him the picture of a baby Jaejoong.

“Look at this. This is him crying because we got him a pink cake for his 7th birthday.” Mikyung gushed.

“I’m going to kill you.” Jaejoong muttered under his breath, sitting too uptight beside Yunho.

“You were cute.” Yunho said, holding Jaejoong’s thighs and urging him to relax. “I have worse pictures. My sister will show you if you visit.”

“Ooh. Meeting each other’s family.” Seonhee teased, laughing as soon as Jaejoong went tomato red.

“Eomma! Is dinner ready? I can’t stand my evil sisters!” Jaejoong exclaimed, standing up to go to the kitchen. He hated how Yunho looked like he’s charmed his whole family. He doesn’t even understand why Yunho’s doing this. Why, all of a sudden, Yunho’s showing him affection? He’s had a crush on his for the longest time now. And Jaejoong was determined to graduate and move on from him.

Unconsciously, he touched his lips remember the bitter sweet taste of Yunho’s mouth against the cold breeze on the highway. “You shouldn’t let your sisters know you two have kissed or they will tease you to no end.” His father whispered, cutting him off from his daydream and feeling guilty for being caught.

He helped his father set the table and he noticed him looking at Yunho telling stories about his own sister. “He seems like a nice guy.” His father said. “I hope it works out for both of you.”

Jaejoong blushed. Deep down, he hoped so too.

--

“Hey!” Yunho said, stopping in front of Jaejoong’s house. “We should stop this coincidence. You always go out of your house just when I’m about to round this corner.” Yunho teased, already handing Jaejoong his helmet.

“You’re an idiot.” Jaejoong said. He turned around to yell as his sisters. “We’re going!”

“Okay, baby. Take care. Hi Yunho!” Mrs. Kim said, looking from the window.

“Good morning, Mrs. Kim.”

“Oh you boy. Call me Eomonim!” Jaejoong’s mom said.

They both waved goodbye and went to school together. Jaejoong wasn’t clinging on to Yunho, much to Yunho’s dismay. When they got to school, he was off the motorbike even before Yunho stopped the engine. He was handing the helmet back to Yunho when Yunho grabbed his wrist. “Is there something wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“Jaejoong.”

“Thank you for the ride, Yunho.” Jaejoong said, pushing the helmet to Yunho and walking away.

Yunho watched him walk towards the school. Confused, he checked if there was a candy in the side pocket of his bag. Relieved that there was, he opened it and found a scribble as usual: ‘I wonder what I look like in your eyes.’

--

“Why don’t you just tell him what you feel? I mean, you guys seem pretty close now.” Yoochun said.

“It’s not that simple.” Jaejoong said.

“It is actually very simple.” Junsu said. “You’re sending him love notes. He kissed you. Your family loves him.”

“We’re graduating in a month. We’ll go separate ways. And what if, this is just a past time for him? What if… what if he doesn’t see me the same way I see him?” Jaejoong said, almost in panic and in the verge of tears. “I’d rather we don’t let this go further.”

“You’re being an idiot.” Yoochun said. “He won’t kiss you if he’s not interested in you.”

“But that’s the thing. He’s probably interested with me because… well I don’t know. But he’s not in love with me. I know. I just know.” Jaejoong said, as he gathered his things and left the classroom. He wiped the corner of his eyes and didn’t noticed that on his way out, he bumped into Yunho.

“Jaejoong.” Yunho called, but Jaejoong was almost running away. “Jaejoong!” he shouted, but Jaejoong didn’t stop. He didn’t follow either.

--

Mikyung threw herself on Jaejoong’s bed again. She stared at the empty candy jar on Jaejoong’s bedside table and sighed. “You ate all the candies. That’s why you’re fat.”

“I gave them to Yunho.” Jaejoong muttered against the sheets.

“I thought you’re coming to the lantern festival today? Aren’t Junsu and Yoochun gonna give you a lift?” Mikyung asked.

“I’m not in the mood to go.”

“But you never missed the lantern festival, baby Jae.” Mikyung said, poking her brother on the cheeks. “What’s wrong?”

“Yunho.”

“What’s up with Yunho?”

“I don’t understand him.”

“Well, do you need to understand him?”

“I don’t know. I just… I don’t want this feeling. I feel like I’m walking on wire.”

“Wow. That’s kind of deep. You’re probably in love.” Mikyung said, sitting up. “You only have a few days left in high school. You’re going to the community college and be a designer like you’ve always been. You’re gonna meet models and you’re gonna fall in love with them. Yunho’s not the only person in the world.”

“But I don’t know who can top Yunho.” Jaejoong pouted, the fear of going to college and probably not seeing Yunho again terrifies him. He hated this feeling. He hated that Yunho gave him a glimpse of what it would look like. What they could look like. Because how does he go from here?”

“Get up. Get dressed. Figure everything out tomorrow. Tonight, you’re going to the lantern festival. Collect all the chocolates from your admirers and give them to us. You have 5 sisters to feed here!” Mikyung teased. “Don’t be such a baby.” She said, pulling Jaejoong out of the covers and throwing him to the shower.

It was after almost an hour, Jaejoong walked out of the house after kissing his parents goodbye that he heard a familiar rumble of a motorbike rounding their street. Yunho was looking at him with kind eyes. “Hey. Need a ride?” Yunho asked.

Jaejoong walked towards him hesitantly.

“We need to talk. Hop in.” Yunho said, helping Jaejoong with the helmet.

The ride from Jaejoong’s house to the highway was scenic. They passed by the ocean and Jaejoong watched as the sun set. Yunho parked the motorbike exactly where they first kissed. Jaejoong hopped off the bike and stood by the edge of the fenced cliff. He watched the city slowly glimmering as the sky gets dark.

“Did you know the first thought that was on my mind when I first saw you?” Yunho asked as he stood beside Jaejoong. “I thought, Man, he’s cute.” He chuckled. “I saw you in math class this year. It’s the only class we have together. And I researched about you. Or actually, I told Changmin to research about you.” Yunho said, then he looked at Jaejoong. It wasn’t a coincidence. Me rounding your street every morning. I deliberately tried to pass by your house hoping that you’re there before you even get to your sister’s car. Believe me. It took me weeks before I perfected my timing.” He said, rubbing the back of his neck from embarrassment.

Jaejoong looked at Yunho with a shocked expression. “You were… waiting for me.”

“I was. But those candy notes you left on my bag. Which, by the way are so adorable and as Changmin said, you’re gonna give me diabetes.” Yunho said. “I was waiting for the lantern festival to ask you but, Jaejoong-ah—“

“No.” Jaejoong said, abruptly looking away from Yunho. “Don’t.”

“Yoochun is right. You’re being an idiot.” Yunho said, holding Jaejoong by his shoulders and turning him to face Yunho. “Your friends told me everything. Why would you think that I don’t return your feelings? Just because you’ve had them longer doesn’t mean I don’t get to experience being with you.”

Jaejoong looked down, embarrassed because he was indeed an idiot. “I just… I was so used to seeing you from afar. And what will happen after graduation? I heard you’re moving to Seoul to study and I’m fine here.”

“Seoul is just 2 hours away from here. I’ll come home if you miss me. You’ll go to Seoul too. We’re gonna make it work. You just have to stop overthinking in that head of yours.” Yunho said. “Look at me Jaejoong.”

Jaejoong looked up, straight to Yunho’s eyes. “God. I love you, don’t I?”

Yunho chuckled at that. “I’m glad you do. Cause I love you too.” He said, holding Jaejoong’s face and kissing him.

Yunho still tasted like strawberries and cigarettes and Jaejoong figured he kinda likes that. They forgot

--

“We told you you’re being an idiot.” Yoochun said when he saw Yunho and Jaejoong walk to the festival holding hands.

“And you’re going to give Yunho diabetes.” Changmin said, watching their intertwined hands.

“Stop teasing Jaejoong.” Yunho said, a he dragged them to their lantern. Yunho and Jaejoong had their own and they wrote each of their wishes for themselves on it.

 

 

end.