END

Target Spotted

“Target spotted. East entrance. 76 seconds until arrival,” says the voice in Irene’s ear piece.

She watches the security monitor closely trying to identify who she needs to terminate. As the target walks into view she leans in closer to make sure her eyes weren’t deceiving her. Her eyes widen at the soft moving figure on the screen. Clenching her fist she punches the table, startling everyone in the security room. She grabs her phone and makes her way out.

“I’m handling this. Do NOT interfere, no matter what,” she enforces at the silent crowd.

Wendy’s phone pings with a text notification and she has to stop in place to reply. Pulling to the side of the walk way, she reads it with a smile.

“Wendy!” Someone calls at her from a distance.

Looking in the direction of the voice she smiles wide and waves.

“Joohyunnie!”

“W-what are you doing here?” Irene says almost out of breath after running to her.

Wendy looks around at where she is and the luggage she has with her.

“I’m flying back to Toronto? What else would I be doing in an airport?” Wendy replies in a confused manner, “And you?”

“Hah,” Irene chuckles while adjusting her hat, “I’m flying out too!”

“Really? Where to?!” Wendy asks enthusiastically, gripping the handle of her luggage.

“New York City,” she says repeating after the voice in her ear piece, “that means our gates are close together!”

“Shall we.. walk together then?!” Wendy suggests, pointing to the right pathway for the gates.

“Sure! Let me grab your bag for you,” Irene says reaching for the luggage.

Wendy pulls it away and rolls it to her side farther from Irene.

“Thanks but I got it!” She smiles.

Irene purses her lips at the refusal and walks next to her. Stealing glances and watching how the strings of hair fell perfectly at the side of her face, making your eyes trace her neck to her collar bones.

“Hmm?” Wendy interrupts.

“Oh I’m just-“

“Enjoying the view?” Wendy jabs.

Wendy smiles as they walk past the other airport gates, rolling the luggage next to her.

“How long has it been?” Wendy breaks the silence.

“Ah, about.. 4 years? Yeah 4 years since I’ve seen you,” Irene replies with a hint of sadness in her voice.

“I missed you,” Wendy says.

Irene turns her head to see Wendy looking directly at her. Her big warm brown eyes look exactly the same as they did the last time they spoke and they still held the same feeling.

“I missed you too,” Irene says quietly while a lopsided smirk creeps onto her face.

“Good!”

They both laugh as they get to the end of the gates. Irene looks around and notices that this area looked more abandoned than the rest of the airport and that it was oddly quiet. Wendy let’s out a deep sigh and places her hands on her hips.

“Out of all people, they send you.”

That phrase sent chills down Irene’s spine. She stands straight fist slightly clenched.

“How did you know?” She asks.

“You have no luggage and we’re not by our gates at all. They’re on the other side of the airport,” Wendy tells her while analyzing her face, “I’m sorry.”

Irene looks up as Wendy apologizes and quickly dodged the kick that was aimed at her head. Stepping back and adjusting Wendy attacks again, and Irene counters. They knew each other too well, they were likes waves on a beach crashing into each other.

“Wendy! Stop!” Irene pleads.

“I have to carry this out, you don’t know what’s on the line for me!” Wendy grits as they continue their back and forth.

“I.. I don’t want to hurt you,” Irene says as they step apart to catch their breath.

Wendy wipes the corner of , smearing the blood on her cheek.

The intensity in Wendy’s eyes tells Irene that she’s changed. She’s not the same anymore.

“Stop trying to read me. I hate when you do that!” Wendy snaps.

"Now boarding flights to Toronto,” a woman’s voice says from the intercom.

They stand still, staring at one another.

Time is ticking and they’re screaming at Irene to finish the job in her ear. She takes out her ear piece and crushes it under her shoe on the hard tile.

“Listen to me. It’s just us. No one else is here,” Irene says in a serious tone.

“No, not this. I left you for a reason," Wendy argues back.

“Just listen, Seungwan!” Irene raises her voice, “Let’s run. You and me, like what we wanted before.”

“It’s not the same anymore! T-they’re not here anymore,” Wendy’s voice noticeably cracks, and her eyes get glossy.

“I miss them too, but this is what they would’ve wanted.”

“Y-you don’t know what they would’ve wanted you weren’t even ing there!” Wendy yells as she presses forward fighting again.

The intensity this round was obvious, Wendy was an emotional fighter, but Irene was a smart fighter. Countering and putting her in a hold she pleads. 

“The agency rigged the escape vehicle, you weren’t supposed to survive,” Irene whispers into Wendy’s ear while keeping her in the choke hold.

Tears stream down Wendy’s face as she remembers the smiling faces of Yeri, Seulgi and Sooyoung after they pulled off the mission. Irene feels Wendy’s grip loosen and her body relax. She finally passed out. Irene lays her down carefully on the ground and makes her way over to the luggage. Carefully laying it down and opening it, her eyes widen at the contents.

“ Seungwan, what were you thinking?!”

She looks over the weapons in her bag and and quickly takes apart the guns, tossing the uppers in one trash can and the lowers in another. Turning around to check on Wendy, she realizes that she’s gone.

“,” Irene huffs staring down the long hallway trying to spot her.

"," Wendy says to herself as well, making her way into the closest souvenir store in the airport.

Keeping her head down she manages to steal a shirt and a hat, wearing it on her way out to change her appearance. Walking as fast as she could away from where she left Irene. Irene sprints down the hall, dodging people until she gets to the end of wing. Looking around she notices an empty hanger in a trash can next to the souvenir store.

"She changed clothes.. Probably has a hat on too," she says to herself as her eyes scan quickly looking for Wendy.

Wendy gets on an escalator heading to the upper floor towards the parking garage. As the escalator moves she tries to spot Irene and looks down. Big mistake as Irene and her immediately make eye contact.

"!" Wendy says as she pushes past the people lined up in front of her.

Irene is now sprinting up the same escalator trying to catch up to her.

"Sorry! Excuse me! Move!" Irene shouts as she weaves through the people.

Once she reaches the top of the escalator she can see the top of Wendy's head as she runs towards the parking garage.

"STOP!"

Wendy hears Irene yell but she keeps going. She wanted badly to run to her instead, but she knew that she would never be able to leave if she turned back now. Running past cars on each side of her she looks for something that she could steal.

"WENDY! FREEZE!" Irene shouts.

Wendy slows to a stop, her top lip out of frustration. She took too long, and she knew what she was going to see when she turns around.

"Just face me," Irene commands.

She does as she says and turns around to see the girl she desperately loved aiming a gun at her.

"Just let me go," Wendy says with her eyes closed, not wanting to look Irene in the eyes.

"You know I can't do that," she replies, gun still pointed. There they stand, alone again, but in a more dangerous situation than before.

"You let me go back then, why cant you now?"

 

[ 4 YEARS AGO ]

 

The warm morning sun peeking through the window always woke Wendy up. She moves her arms her big bed searching for something, when feels it. Cuddling up to be the big spoon she wraps her arm around Irene's waist kissing her shoulder from behind.

"Good morning," Wendy mumbles into her ear.

Irene lets out a small squeak and she starts to stretch in bed and turns over to face the girl holding her.

"It's nice waking up to you, do you know that?" Irene says softly while tucking Wendy's hair behind her ear.

"I was about to say the same-" Wendy was cut off by a kiss.

They feel each other smile behind their kiss and eventually pull away.

"Let's get ready, today's mission is going to be easy," Wendy says playfully as she jumps up and heads to the shower.

Irene sat in bed alone, staring at the picture of them that was framed on Wendy's wall.

Wendy pokes her head out from the bathroom door a few feet away. Her bare shoulders and hair up in bun with a smile so warm it could melt Antartica, called out for her partner.

"You joining me or what?" She quips.

Irene rolls her eyes with a smile as she heads to the bathroom.

Irene watches as Wendy tucks in her white dress shirt into her black work slacks, adjusting the belt and tightening it at her hips. She grabs her favorite watch and struggles to put it on with one hand, when Irene steps in to help.

"What would you do without me?" Irene smiles.

"I'd probably die," Wendy replies lightly with a smile, watching Irene help her with her watch.

Wendy pecks her forehead and heads towards the door, when Irene grabs her hand to turn her around.

"Wait," she says as she leans into the girl in a suit, "I'm going to miss you."

"I'll only be gone for a bit, enjoy your day off! Today's hit is gonna be easy," Wendy tells her in a comforting tone.

Wrapping her arms around her and kissing her temple.

The smell of fresh cotton oozes out of Irene's hair, her favorite fabric softener.

"I'll be right back."

As Wendy tries to let go, Irene just hugs tighter. Wendy chuckles at how cute she was being and plays into it. Holding her face in her hands she kisses Irene.

"I love you, I'll be back. I promise I won't be long," Wendy says looking deep into her eyes, "okay?"

Irene nods.

Wendy turns for the door again and feels a tug on her sleeve.

"You can't forget this," Irene nags as she slips a thin metal chain over Wendy's head that had a small black wallet attached to it, "the agency hates that you forget your badge."

"The agency can my ," Wendy jabs.

"Oh yeah? You should tell em babe! Tell them to your ," Irene yells as Wendy makes her way down the hall towards the front door.

"On second thought, I can't tell them that," Wendy pauses right before exiting.

"You too scared?"

"No, I just don't want you to be jobless. Bye!" Wendy says quickly as she closes the door fast.

The wrath of Irene was nothing to take lightly. Her phone rings and of course it's her.

"Yes-"

"Don't you EVER say that again! You're so gross I-"

Wendy pulls the phone away from her ear, trying not to laugh.

The shouting on the phone quiets down and Wendy hears the hallway door open as she steps into the elevator of her apartment complex. In the middle of the hall was her partner. Not just her work partner, but her life partner.

"I love you, don't forget," Irene says thru the phone.

The elevator door closes and Wendy can see that Irene's eyes are starting to water. Before she could reply that she loved her too she had already hung up on her. Wendy shakes it off probably just a case of the blues this morning but she'd be back in no time. At least she thought.

Arriving at work she makes eye contact with Joy who had been pacing inside of her office. The glass walls were crystal clear but once that door closed you couldn't hear a single thing from the outside. Wendy walks in, and the door closes behind her.

"Good m-"

"We need to talk."

Joy slides a coffee to Wendy and continues to pace, her own coffee in hand.

"I've been hearing some weird about this mission, and it's freaking me the out. I don't feel good about this at all," Joy says with a concerned look on her face, "I want off the mission."

Wendy puts her heels up on the desk, and leans back in the chair.

"Look, it's an easy grab and go. We've done this a million times."

"Yeah, but they don't normally switch out the get away vehicle day of. We have that locked in weeks in advance," Joy says with emphasis.

Wendy looks past Joy as she sees the rest of her team come into her office too.

"Good morning to the dynamic duo!" Wendy says cheerfully.

"Morning Wan," Seulgi says, plopping on to the couch instantly closing her eyes.

"Morning!" Yeri replies, taking a sip of Joy's coffee.

 "Now that the gang is all here, care to tell the rest of them your thoughts?" Wendy says to Joy, as Seulgi and Yeri turn to look at her.

Joy looks back at the three of them staring at her and makes a plain face.

"No, it's fine. Just some pre-mission jitters," Joy says softly.

"Well then, lets head down and get prepped. We launch in and hour."

Making their way to the armory and dressing room they get ready for their mission. All black, tactical, bulletproof vests, everything.

"Yeri, don't you think it's weird they changed the car?" Joy asks cautiously.

"Yes, and no? Is that what you're worried about? It's going to be okay Joy. I got your back!" Yeri says as she gives Joy a quick smack on the .

Joy rolls her eyes and tries to slap her back but Yeri exited too quick.

"C'mon ladies!" Wendy yells from the vehicle with Seulgi.

After everyone gets settled inside, they start heading towards the location.

"Listen, this is the same as usual. We go in, grab the hard drives and we're out. They changed the get away vehicle but it'll already be on location when we arrive," Wendy affirms to the team.

They file out one by one and Wendy turns to her team.

"I love you all, okay? Let's do this quick, Irene is waiting for me at home."

"You got it," says Joy.

"Good, I'm hungry," says Seulgi.

"You guys have beer right?" Asks Yeri.

"Glad we're on the same page," Wendy replies.

"GO! GO! GO!" Wendy shouts at her team as she exits building, only sparing seconds off the clock.

Looking up she sees Seulgi in the drivers seat, Joy in the passenger seat and Yeri in the back holding the van door open for her.

"I won't make it! Go without me!" Wendy yells.

Wendy is far behind them after making sure their exit was clear, she was playing catch up at the worst time.

"Here!" Wendy says with a grunt as she chucks the duffle bag at Yeri.

"What.. The is this?!" Joy shouts from the front seat holding something that had a timer on it.

"BOMB!" Seulgi shouts as Joy hugs it tightly attempting to shield everyone from the blast.

"NO-"

The sound of sirens in the distance wakes Wendy up. Looking at what was left of their getaway van, she can't believe her eyes. There was barely anything remaining and it was all ablaze.

"W-what.." Wendy stutters, unable to process what she was seeing, checking her ear piece.

"Yeri? Respond. Seulgi?! Respond! JOY! PLEASE RESPOND!" Wendy yells into her mic.

The pain in her chest is unbearable as she slumps over clutching herself, tears streaming down her face. She lays there sobbing as the authorities arrive. Unresponsive to anything they're asking.

The steel table in the interrogation room matched the mood Wendy was in. Cold. Everything was planned, everything was set, it was supposed to be easy.

"Why did they switch the getaway vehicle?" Joy's voice repeats in her head.

Wendy's fists clenched, knuckles turning white. The door opens and Wendy keeps her eyes closed trying to stay calm. They sit across from her and a familiar hand holds hers. Instantly the smell of fresh cotton calms her and she finally looks up to see big doe like eyes staring back at her.

"I'm.. I'm so sorry," Wendy stutters.

"What are you sorry for?" Irene asks, concern filling her eyes.

"I couldn't.. I couldn't.." Wendy starts crying again, reaching for Irene but the handcuffs keep her from doing so, "Get me out of here."

"I can't do that," Irene replies calmly while pulling away, "I'm sorry."

"What do you mean you can't? Where's the agency?!" Wendy's voice instantly clears and her voice raises.

"They're blaming you.. They said you didn't check the car like you were supposed to before you left," Irene explains calmly, with her arms crossed.

Wendy clenches her jaw.

"Bae Joohyun, get me the out of here right now," Wendy demands as her fist pounds the table.

"Stop asking me because I can't. This isn't easy for me," Irene replies.

"EASY FOR YOU?! YOU WEREN'T THERE! NO ONE WAS THERE! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!" Wendy screams.

Irene rolls her tongue in her cheek as Wendy yells.

"Obviously, you're not in a state to talk. So we'll continue later," Irene says sternly as she leaves.

Walking away she can hear Wendy screaming and the sound of the chair being thrown in the room. The shouts turn into sobs. Wendy's sadness manifests into anger, and her mind becomes more clear.

"I have to get out of here," she tells herself.

She thinks quickly and devises a plan.

"EXCUSE ME?! I NEED TO USE THE RESTROOM!" Wendy calls out to the guard, hoping they're as stupid as they look.

Just as she expected the dopey looking guy, who was obviously intimidated by her walks in and begins to take off the cuffs around her ankles. As his head nears her foot, she begins her escape.

"Sorry dude," Wendy says as she kicks him in the face, instantly knocking him out.

She grabs the keys and undoes her cuffs, finally being free. Putting his hat on as a feeble disguise she leaves the room and heads down the hall. Keeping her head down to keep people from recognizing her. She sees Irene talking to her boss and they make eye contact. Time slowed. Irene looks past her boss and stares at Wendy leaving. Her red eyes glaring at Irene's soft apologetic eyes.

"Irene what are you looking at?" Her boss says attempting to turn around.

She quickly grabs his arm to keep him from seeing Wendy.

"Oh it was nothing," Irene says.

The fact that Irene saw her leave but didn't stop her makes Wendy more confused than before, but she knew she had to disappear fast.

"HELP! Officer down!" Someone yells from Wendy's interrogation room, "She's gone!"

Irene's boss shoots a glance at her and she just shrugs.

 

[CURRENT DAY]

 

"I let you go because I knew you didn't do it! If I didn't pin the blame on you they would've-" Irene's voice trails off, gun still pointed.

"THEY WOULD'VE WHAT?! THEY'RE DEAD NOW!" Wendy's voice cracks as she raised her voice, fists clenched again, tears welling.

Irene let's out a frustrated grunt as she drops the gun and falls to her knees.

"You weren't supposed to survive," she says as she covers her face with her hands, "I don't know why the agency wanted you dead. I was just following my orders."

" orders Irene. I loved you," Wendy says, anger still coating her voice.

"Loved?" Irene asks, looking up to see that Wendy was still there.

"Yes? You were everything to me, I would've left it all behind for you if you had just asked," Wendy says out of frustration since she was never able to tell her this before.

"Do you still love me?"

Wendy stood there silent, knowing that what she says next will determine her future.

"Irene-" Wendy starts to say, when she hears multiple footsteps with heavy boots searching the parking complex.

She looks at Irene, with her brows furrowing. She has seconds to make a choice. The sound of the people searching grows louder and Wendy makes the only choice she had in mind. "God damnit!" Wendy exclaims as she grabs Irene by the wrist leading her to a car that was unlocked, they get in, start the car and drive off.

"W-what are you doing?!" Irene asks.

Wendy stares at the road driving as far as she can from the airport. Checking all the mirrors making sure no one is following them before she says a word.

"Of course I still love you," Wendy says without looking at Irene, one hand on the steering wheel, the other on the shifter.

Quietness fills the air.

"I'm doing what I should've done a long time ago," she continues.

Irene reaches over and grabs Wendy's free hand, intertwining their fingers and leaning her head on her shoulder as she drove.

"I love you too," Irene mumbles as she closes her eyes, gently inhaling her smell.

Irene quickly falls asleep on her shoulder, and Wendy stays as still as possible. Only a few hours ago they were trying to kill each other, but here they are escaping their toxic past to an unknown future. The sun starts to set and Wendy pulls off to the side of the road. Being awoken by the sudden stillness of the car, Irene opens her eyes to a purple, blue and pink sunset.

"It was too nice to drive by, I wanted to watch it," Wendy says softly to the drowsy girl.

"It's beautiful-" Irene says while scanning the horizon.

"It is," Wendy replies.

Irene turns to look at Wendy and immediately makes eye contact, realizing that she wasn't even looking at the sunset. The tension in the car was thick and things just felt too right. Wendy tucks Irene's hair behind her ear, and traces her jaw line with her fingers.

"Irene-"

"Shh," Irene says between barely parted lips as she leans in.

Wendy meets her halfway, their lips crashing together. The electricity that flowed through their kiss was the same as it was before and in that instant they knew that they'd never leave each other again.

"I love-"

"I know-" Wendy replies in between their kisses, before pulling apart just to hold her close.

"Let's just run, far away."

"Anywhere with you," Irene replies hugging her arm as Wendy starts the car.

"Where shall we go first?" Wendy asks.

"I don't care, surprise me."

They continue down the road, not really sure where they're headed, but anywhere together is better than being apart. The past they had, the friends they lost and the pain their caused was nothing in comparison to their love. When you know, you know and they knew.

Soulmates.