Colors 01

Colors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

The refreshing aroma of the caffeine greeted Kihyo as she entered the enchanting and quiet coffee shop. The walls are decorated with different musical instruments and there is also a white grand piano at the right corner of the room. Kihyo smiled at the thought that this coffee shop is really different from the others and the instruments are always free for the customers to play.  Coffee and music sound like a very great combination for her. Working in this shop for almost five months, Kihyo already encountered customers that were very great at producing music from playing those instruments and some are just really playing and having fun, making the sound from the instruments out of tune.

 

“Hello there Kihyo. You’re ten minutes earlier tonight!” the Barista working for the afternoon shift greeted Kihyo so she smiled back at him.

 

“Good evening Minseok! Class was dismissed earlier so I just went here directly.” She answered back.

 

“You didn’t hang out with friends?” Minseok asked again as he pour milk at the coffee he just made. The white liquid formed into a heart perfectly. Minseok is really good at making coffee, more like an expert actually.

 

“Minrin’s class is until 7.”

 

“Oh right. She’s your best friend. But other friends?” he asked again as he put the coffee latte on the tray, adding a slice of chocolate cake at the side.

 

“I don’t have other friends. Just Minrin and Jooneul, I think.” She shrugged.

 

“Kihyo, you’re early!” Jongdae, another staff greeted her. She just smiled back because who wouldn’t smile back at this guy? He is always smiling and cracks jokes, making the atmosphere always at ease whenever Kihyo talks to him. “And I wish I was also part of your friends!” Jongdae pout and that made Kihyo’s lips curved up.

 

“Of course you are, and Minseok too.” Kihyo shift her gaze at Minseok who is now smiling at her.

 

“You don’t have to feel shy at us anymore. You’re already working here for five months.” Minseok stated and Kihyo just nod. She is not really the type of person who gets easily comfortable around people. She is not also the type of person who makes a conversion first, she’ll just answer if she was being asked. She is always used on being alone, call her introvert or something like that? Well, maybe she really is.

 

 When another order came to Minseok, Kihyo entered the staff room to drop her bag at the black couch. She opened her locker to change her clothes. After changing her clothes, she went out and ready to replace Minseok and Jongdae for the evening shift.

 

“Are you okay being alone for tonight?” Jongdae suddenly asked while taking off the brown apron around him. Kihyo raised an eyebrow at him. “Why would I be alone?”

 

“Minra won’t be able to work tonight. She got sister duties. Her younger brother is sick.” Minseok was the one to answer her question.

 

“Oh. She didn’t tell me.” Kihyo murmured. “But it’s okay. There aren’t lot of customers during evenings. Just some college students near here that read their books, so no worries.” She shrugged and wears her brown apron around her, tying her hair in a ponytail afterwards.

 

“Okay. Just call us if something happens. I’m only street away from here.” Minseok commented. A customer suddenly came inside so Minseok and Jongdae just entered the staff room to change their clothes and left Kihyo to entertain the newly arrived customer.

 

“Good evening Sir. Welcome to Harmony Café.” Kihyo smiled and tried her best not to look like she’s feeling awkward. Why does greeting the customers the hardest part on this work for her? The man had a black mask on, with a black Nike hoodie and a black cap. Kihyo needs to lift up her head  a little since this man in front of her is tall, she’s sure he’s more than a 6 feet tall.

 

“What’s your best seller?” that deep husky voice sends chills on Kihyo’s body. His voice is quiet unique and Kihyo wonders if this guy can sing. She bet he could, that deep voice will sound perfect on R&B, or maybe ballad?

 

“What’s your best seller?” she got out of her thoughts when she heard that deep voice asking the question again.

 

“Ah, right. Uhmmm.” She bit her lip and looked at the menu to look for the coffee list. “Our double espresso and macchiato are the best sellers.” She lifted her gaze at the tall man.

 

“I’m gonna change my question.” She can hear the low chuckle on his voice when she raised an eyebrow at him. He looks familiar, his large eyes looks familiar. Even though she can’t see his whole face, she can sense that he is smiling under that mask. She can see it in his sparkling eyes. “What is your favorite coffee that you sell here?”

 

She furrowed her brows. This is the first time a customer asked her that. Well, weird right? But whatever, as what they say, customer is always right and should be always treated nicely. “I like cappuccino the most. Because coffee and milk.”

 

“Alright. That’s my order. One cup of cappuccino please.” Kihyo nodded and went towards the bar counter to make the order. She doesn’t only like the taste of cappuccino but she also enjoys making it, especially the milk on the surface.

 

“Sir, what design do you want on the surface?” Kihyo turned around as she asked the customer. As she completely focused her gaze at the man, a gasped escaped her lips when the mask was now taken off from his face.

 

“You look surprised.” He grins and that white perfect teeth flashed on her. She sighed and crossed her arms in front of her chest.

 

“What are you doing here?” she asked but was ignored by his chuckle. “So you work here every weekend huh?” The guy hides his both hands inside of the hoodie’s pocket. “You are so nice earlier although I don’t know what to feel because you didn’t recognize me.” That tall guy pouted that makes Kihyo rolled her eyes and just turned her back on him to continue doing the coffee.

 

“I don’t know you.” She answered and pours the milk on the top of the coffee. Maybe guitar will do. She is not really perfect on making designs on coffee. She just always does the basics, like heart and leaves. She doesn’t know why she wants to do her best for this one.

 

“You don’t mean that.”

 

“Okay. You’re the guy next door.” She murmured while focusing on the coffee.

 

“You’re right. Look, you know me! The handsome guy living next to your house. You already met my Mom I think.” He started talking although she’s not interested on his story. She doesn’t care about his life, she doesn’t care about other people’s lives as long as it doesn’t concern her.

 

“Stop talking. Here’s your coffee.” She put the cup on the tray and shoved it lightly, but careful enough not to spill the coffee to Chanyeol’s chest.

 

“That’s not the right way to treat customers!” he pouted, acting so hurt but still took the tray from her hands.

 

“Guitar?” he raised an eyebrow at her, asking why she made that design. “You know I play guitar?” he suddenly asked and his eyes gleams at the thought. He grins, “This is so pretty and cute. I can’t wait to taste it.”

 

Kihyo can already feel her cheeks started burning. What the heck? She just shook her head. “I don’t know you play guitar. As you can see there are instruments hanging on the wall and that grand piano at the corner of this shop so it’s just normal for us to make designs on the coffee like that.” Kihyo blurted out swiftly before she takes a deep breath.

 

But of course, what she says were all lies. She noticed a guitar on their house when her Mom asked her to bring pasta, cooked by her mom when this guy’s family just moved in next to their house. And she usually only used hearts on cappuccino but she tried the guitar this time. Thankfully, it looked presentable.

 

“Well, you’re right. This coffee shop is interesting. It’s refreshing here.” He nodded and roamed his eyes around the shop. “But this is the longest conversation I had with you. Whenever I greet you, all you do is just smiled back and then left quickly before I can say something.”

 

That’s the truth. It’s been a month since he started saying ‘hi’ to her, which is very weird. Why would he do that? She haven’t talk to him since he moved next to her house. Actually, this is the first time she had a long conversation with him. And that makes her realized that she doesn’t even know his name.

 

“Oh, we got a customer. Usually, the college kids go here at 9.” Minseok suddenly entered the conversation. He is now wearing a tight jeans and a white shirt. Jongdae followed next with two bags on his both hands.

 

“Minseok is making me his slave, I can’t believe-…” Jongdae lifted his gaze and saw Kihyo’s neighbor with a smile on his face. “What is the great Park doing here?” Jongdae’s surprised looked didn’t go unnoticed by Kihyo. So they know each other?

 

“Kim Jongdae? You work here?”

 

“Yes. You know, Harmony Café. Music and coffee. My two favorite things in the world.” Both guys chuckled and even did some handshake to show that they are close friends or something. Kihyo doesn’t know since she can count her friends in just her one hand. They even started talking about something she’s not interested too.

 

“Are you looking for a part time job? I mean, you can start tonight since Kihyo will be working solo.” Minseok suddenly asked, interrupting the other two from their talk.

 

“Okay-“

 

“No!”

 

Kihyo glared at Chanyeol, why is he even accepting Minseok’s offer? “I don’t even know him!” Kihyo reasoned out when Minseok and Jongdae are looking stunned at her outburst.

 

“I am Park Chanyeol!” Her neighbor grins at her, reaching his hand as he asks for a handshake. She looked weirdly at him. “Now, you know me! We can work together now.” He continue to grin creepily at her, she tried her best not to roll her eyes. Chanyeol seems to realize that Kihyo doesn’t going to shake his hand, he just sighed and hide his both hands inside of his hoodie’s pocket again.

 

“Now, it’s settled.” Minseok smiled brightly.

 

“Finally, I’m so tired, I can’t wait to sleep.” Jongdae said as he grabbed the two bags that he put down on the floor earlier while talking to Chanyeol. “God, this is so heavy Minseok! What are you putting inside your bag?” Jongdae whined and Minseok just laugh.

 

“We’re leaving Kihyo to you. Please take care of her. There will be a few customers starting from 9PM until the shop closes.” Minseok tapped Chanyeol’s shoulder and the latter nod his head on understanding. Guys usually do that kind of tapping each other shoulders. Okay. Guy things.

 

When the two already left, Kihyo just pay her attention on washing some of the cups that were left from the afternoon’s shift. She suddenly remembers the way she acted earlier. Is she being mean not to shake hands with him? Is it her fault that she just doesn’t feel comfortable around other people? Even though she already knows him as her neighbor, it’s really odd to think that he’s been greeting her for a month, saying ‘hi’ even without her greeting him back and all of a sudden, he just decided to help her on this shop.

 

She was already on the third cup when she felt the presence of the tall man beside her. She bit her lip and slightly moves her head to look at him. She can’t help but smile when she noticed that he already had the brown apron wrapped around his body.

 

“Hey. What should I do?” he asks cheerfully. He looked around the shop and there are only three customers, two girls and a college student. Its half past 8 already so there’ll be more customers for a few more minutes.

 

“Chanyeol.” She whispered but he still heard her calling his name. He smiled at her when she lifts her gaze up at him. “I’m sorry if I acted mean earlier. But thanks to your help for this evening. There’ll be more customers later. I appreciate your help.”

 

“No worries. You heard what Jongdae called me earlier?” he asked and Kihyo just shook her head absentmindedly. She seems so lost on his gaze. “That I am the great Park.” He chuckled but halted when he heard Kihyo laugh out loud. It’s his first time hearing her true laugh, the one that isn’t fake and forced. It’s her honest laugh and he wanted to hear more of it starting tonight. He’ll do his best to make her smile.

 

“Oh right, I didn’t introduce my name yet. I am-“

 

“Park Kihyo.” Chanyeol murmured and looked directly on her eyes. Kihyo’s furrowed brows make him chuckled form seeing her cute face. “I know you’re surprised that I know. But as what I told you, I am the great Park Chanyeol right?” he grins and Kihyo grins back at him.

 

At least she knows his name now. He even had a conversation with her, a long one. And mostly, he’ll be working with her during weekend nights. He can’t help but feel excited for every moment with her. He just wished that his heart will be strong enough not to explode out of his chest.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter