BEST WISHES

BEST WISHES

BEST WISHES

By Gwynne Rendal

YulSic One-Shot

 

Who ever thought that standing near the priest was nerve wrecking? I was nervous. These emotions I’m feeling are getting me and it was scary. The bells started to ring and the two front huge doors went open and there she was in her beautiful white dress, looking like an angel flung out of space. Her curled light brown locks flowed down her shoulders and her smile, the smile that me since the day I first met her. The only smile that I know that could light up the whole place let alone the whole world.

 

8 YEARS AGO.

 

My heart was beating faster than I imagined possible. I’ve had previous presentations but this was somehow the scariest. This would determine if I get to reach my dreams or fall into the pit of shame. I’ve dreamt of this moment for months and her I am, frightened as hell.

 

As my preparations took over me, I can’t help but notice a girl sitting alone on the bench close to me. She was taking deep breathes. Her eyes shifting from the hallways then back to her shoes. I was curious. She was pretty, no correction, gorgeous. I didn’t notice I was staring until she looked at me with her cold glare. Even with that, it seemed like the forces of nature wanted me to go to her. I took a deep breath and my legs did the walking. “Hi..”

 

She looked at me, our eyes met but she looked puzzled. “H-hey..” She hesitated. “Are you presenting something?”

 

“Yeah. I am and I a terrified.” I gestured to sit beside her. She noticed and moved a little bit to give me space.

 

“You don’t look like it..”

 

“Believe me. I am.” Inhale, exhale. I commanded myself to take breathes to ease my raising heartbeat.

 

“You don’t have to. I mean, you have to guts to come here. So you might as well, it all in.” She was right. It wasn’t like I was here for no reason. “By the way..” she suddenly offers her hand to me. “..I’m Jessica Jung..”

 

My eyes were deceiving me. Is this even real? “Jung? The Jessica Jung?” All she did was nod. “I am so honoured. I was too nervous, I didn’t even recognize you.” I immediately held her hand and shook it as gently as I could but the excitement in me was to its highest peak. “M-my name’s Yuri, Yuri Kwon.”

 

“Kwon Industries and Enterprises?” Shockingly she has heard of my father’s business. “What’s the daughter of a millionaire doing here? Aren’t you the heir to that huge company?”

 

“Well, I am one of them. My older brother is taking care of it for now. I’ll follow after.” A chuckle has escaped my mouth.

 

“Jessica, your sister is waiting outside.” A woman out of nowhere had told Jessica.

 

“I’m sorry I have to go.” She smiled at me, and it somehow lifted all the weight on my chest. “Check your pocket, Ms. Kwon. Do keep in touch.” Immediately, she stood up from her place and walked away with the woman.

 

“Ms. Kwon, the head of directors are ready for you now.”

 

I nodded and stood up, making my way quickly into the board room.

 

 

4 MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING.

 

“Yuri, I believe we still have some matters to discuss.” Hyoyeon, one of my board of directors and my best friend, came into my office whilst I was on my phone.

 

I rose my finger, telling her to wait. “Babe, I have to find a dress.”

 

“The wedding is like, four months away. Don’t be in such a rush.” My secretary comes in with a folder of papers that I have yet again, neglected to read and sign. “I’m sure you’ll find the right one.”

 

“Fine. Don’t forget dinner later. Okay?”

 

“I promise. Don’t worry. I have to go, got some stuff to do. I’ll see you later. Love you. Bye” I hang up and gave Hyoyeon the attention that she wanted.

 

“Yuri, I just wanted to tell you that our status in the stock market is amazingly reaching its peak. Congratulations.” Hyoyeon then found herself sitting on the couch. “How do you plan to celebrate later?”

 

I smiled and leaned back against my chair. “Well, I have dinner with Jessica tonight.”

 

“Well, all of us can have a drink later right?” My very hopeful best friends was literally begging to spend some time with me. “Come on, Yul. You’ve been too preoccupied with Jessica.”

 

“Well, wedding’s approaching and we have to finish all the selections so that we won’t be cramming when the day comes.” Taking the papers into my hands, and pretending to read all the non-sense.

 

I saw Hyo shake her head and getting up from her where she had sat. “I’m telling you, Yul. When things get worse, you’re going to call me for this drink that is long overdue.” The woman then started to walk out of my office.

 

The night was beautiful, but the woman sitting on my passenger seat was even more beautiful. I kept giving her glances, hoping that she would notice and open . She was busy with the magazine and finding the huge white dress that was to her liking. “Sica, can you relax? It’s like 7pm and you shouldn’t be stressing about that right now, we have a dinner to go to.”

 

“Yuri, I am just scanning through these wedding gowns. Also we need to figure out how the bride’s maids would look like.” She had let out a sigh and she never be cuter. “I just want this to be perfect.”

 

I reached for her hand and squeezed it lightly. “Babe, it will be. Okay? Relax. We got this.”

 

“Yuri, what if it’s not?” Jessica turned her body so she was facing me.

 

“It will be, I promise you that. Okay? It will be perfect.”

 

Jessica was the type of girl who needs to be reassured before she calms down. I smiled at her and kissed the back of her hand, then I saw her calm down and smile as she looked at me.

“I am so lucky to have you, Yuri.”

 

“And you love me for that.” Jessica smiled and nodded her head. “I thought so..”

 

1 MONTH BEFORE THE WEDDING

 

I have got no clue what to feel when the time really comes. Will I even be ready for the married life and to have a partner to wake up to? Am I really ready for that?

 

“Jessica! Come out already. We haven’t got all day.” Tiffany was always like a mother when she talks. I shook my head and smiled as I did my final look at myself before she looked at me. I my heel and went out of the dressing room.

 

Tiffany sat up straight when she saw me walk out. Her lips forming an ‘o’, her hands resting on her chest, “Sica, baby, you look gorgeous. I am suddenly speechless.”

 

“Do I?”

 

“Yes, sweetheart, you look so beautiful and elegant and all the good adjectives that could help me describe you. Babe!” Tiffany called out. “Taengoo! She looks beautiful.”

 

Taeyeon had just got off the phone and she was a pretty busy woman. She looked at me and had the same reaction as her wife. “Jessica, you are beautiful.”

 

“Wait, where’s Yuri?” Tiffany asked as she fixed the lower part of the gown.

 

“She has a meeting. I don’t want her to see this gown. She can’t see it.” I bit my lip and smiled as I looked down at my dress. Yuri will love this. I know she would.

 

“You’re probably the most beautiful bride that I’ve seen. You’ll be a great wife, Sica.” Having friends like them makes life easier. They’re the sweetest and they have been with me ever since.

 

WEDDING DAY.

 

My heart was beating faster that I thought it could. I watched Jessica walk down the isle in her long white dress. She does look beautiful and amazing to watch. It was like watching your favourite tv series on repeat. I love how elegant she looked and how she carried herself with finesse and class. She is everything that I ever wanted. Everything anyone could ever want. My smile went from ear to ear, I couldn’t help myself. Our eyes met and I thought to myself, her husband to be was going to be a lucky man.

 

The man stood beside me, he had tears in his eyes as he watched his bride to be walking towards him. I know how he feels, only that I couldn’t cry. I was just frozen there on my spot. Unable to say anything and unable to say the things that I should have said a long time ago. It was too late now.

 

I was too late.

 

Jessica stopped in front of Tyler and I. How I wish it was me that she walks with to the altar. I did my best to stop my tears. She smiled at me, the smile that got me from the very first time we ever talked.

 

“Thank you, Yuri.” Jessica said as she looked at me with all the sincerity in her eyes. She pulled me into a hug and all I could was hugged her back.

 

“Always, Sica. Always.”

 

I sat there and watched as the ceremony went on. I watched as the woman I wanted to spend my life with was going to tie the knot with someone else. I was heart breaking, it hurts so much but there was nothing I could but just sit and watch.

 

“I pronounce you, man and wife. You may kiss the bride.” I heard the priest say as the ceremony came to an end. Everyone clapped their hands and cheered for the newlyweds and there I was, breaking my heart as I watched them kiss.

 

------------------ --------------

 

Jessica and I shared a lot of common friends. That includes my best friend. Hyoyeon was by the dessert table, a glass of wine on her hand and dessert on the other. The bride and groom were having their first dance. I walked over to Hyo and took the glass off her hand, taking a sip. “Hey, I think I need that drink.”

 

Hyoyeon laughed and shook her head. “You really are a martyr, Yuri Kwon.”

 

“Well I guess I ing am.” I took another sip the glass as I watched them “Let’s get out of here..”

 

“Aren’t you going to gay goodbye? I mean say..say goodbye” Hyoyeon said as she swallowed the dessert full. I slapped her arm a little bit too hard that make her puke out her dessert. “Great! I liked that.”

 

--------------------- ----------------

 

Hyoyeon and I sat on the bar stool, with our glasses on our hands. “Hyo! You’re looking at the woman who just gave up her happiness so that the love of my life would be happy.”

 

Buzz. Buzz. My phone vibrated and I didn’t even bother looking at it. I turned it off and carried on drinking. “You are a fool for doing that. Now I can finally say…I told you so..”

 

“Yeah..I knew. I was just too stubborn to listen to your advice.” I smiled and took another drink.

 

It was getting late and both of us had too much to drink. Hyoyeon was pretty much over her alcohol limit so I got her a cab before I got mine. As I was sitting there, I remembered that my phone vibrated back in the back. Took it out, turned it back on and saw a gazillion text messages and it was from the person who was the reason for my drinking. “What the hell..”

 

Sent by Jessica

10:30

“Yuri, where are you? The dances are starting!”

 

Sent by Jessica

10:45

“Yuri-aaah! Where the hell are you?”

 

 

 

Sent by Jessica

11:30

“I’m worried. Please text me back.”

 

Sent by Jessica

12:30

“Yuri , did I do something wrong? Why aren’t you answering my texts? I tried calling you but your phone seems to be dead.”

 

Sent by Jessica

3:30

“I’m going to your place.”

 

My eyes went wide open when I saw that time of her text. I looked at my watch. 4:45AM. “JESSICA JUNG WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!” I popped my head in the middle of the front seats. “Sir, I believe we have a crisis and you need to drive as fast as you can to my house. I will pay you double just step on that gas!” The man did as I said and stepped on the accelerator like his life depended on it.

 

The moment I got out of the car, I saw the familiar figure sitting on my front porch. I sighed, knowing that she had been waiting there for an hour. “What are you doing here, Jessica?”

 

She gave me that death look and I knew I was in trouble. She stood up and pushed me. “What the hell?! Why didn’t you answer my text! Why weren’t you answer! It’s my wedding day and you decided to bail when I wanted to dance with my best friend!”

 

“That’s all I ever was, Jessica.” She stopped pushing me when I started to talk. “I’m just your best friend. I don’t get to give you a dance. I don’t get to give you a ring because I’m just your best friend!” This must be alcohol acting up on me.

 

“What are you talking about?” Jessica stood there looking at me puzzled.

 

“You wouldn’t understand, Sica. You better go home.” I took my keys and walked over to my front door.”

 

“Then make me und—“

 

I didn’t let her finish what she was about to say and just kissed her. “I love you.” Jessica was silence by the sudden change in my tone and the kiss that I had just given. “I have loved you since we started hanging out after that presentation I had in your building. I have loved you but I had to be subtle because I didn’t want to lose the friendship that we had and I certainly didn’t want to lose you.” I pulled away from her and her face was as shocked as me with what I just did and said.

 

“Wh-why did you say that now? I-I Just got married, Yuri”

 

“Because I’m drunk, and that is how I feel.” The tears that I have been holding during the ceremony all were all released, flowing down my cheeks like a never ending river. She was quiet. “When you told me I’d see you dressed in a long white gown, I never imagined it would be with someone else.”

 

“Yuri, I can’t..”

 

“I know…I only want what’s best for you, Jessica. I know you know that. You better go home. Your husband must be finding you.” I opened the door and before I went in I looked back at her. “It’s probably best if we don’t see each other for a while..”

 

“Yuri, it doesn’t have to be like that.”

 

“Oh believe me, Jessica. It has to be.” I went in, locked the door and I suddenly just shut down.

 

----------------- ---------------

 

I was dumbfounded. I stood on her front porch, speechless, and mostly, shocked. I turned and walked to my car. Still having the conversation and the kiss on my mind. How the hell could she do that? Did she just shut me out? I can’t just lose my best friend but I might already have.

 

I kept on driving and driving until I reached my home, the home where my husband waits for me and the home where I’ll spend my future in. This have been a long night. I’m caught and I don’t know if I’ll ever talk to Yuri ever again.

 

5 YEARS LATER

 

I walked down the hallways of the establishment that my father had built. I never really imagined that he would let me handle things this huge. Some employees greet me as they made their way to wherever the hell it is they’re going. Though every time I walk down hallways in whatever building I’m in, it would always take me back to the day I had the presentation that got me to where I am today. That was also the same day that I met her.

 

I wonder where she was though. I wonder how she was doing and where she was. I still miss her. It has been years since I last saw her. I let out a sigh and see my secretary from a far. “Good morning, Ms. Kwon. You have a meeting at 10AM and another meeting at 3PM with the financial and marketing department.”

 

“Who did you say was my 10AM again?” I neglected to hear what my appointment was at 10AM.

 

“It’s with the owner of the company named, Blanc and Eclare.”

 

“The sounds a bit familiar but alright, I’ll see you in a bit.” I smiled at her as she took off taking care of some papers for me to sign again later.

 

As I made my way down to my office, I saw someone was standing in there talking to someone on the phone. Blonde locks, shoulder length, slim figure, with her beautifully selected attire. I know who this woman is.

 

“Yes, I know! Thank you, Ms. Choi! Alright! We’ll drink to that tonight!”

 

“Was that Sooyoung?” I walked over to my desk and rested my hand bag on the chair.

 

“Yes! Yoona, Sunny, Seohyun, and Sooyoung are planning to have a vacation this summer and wants us all to come. Including yknow who and TaeNy.”

 

“You can go with them, I’m not. I have a lot of stuff to do here.” I sat down on the chair and turned my laptop on.

 

“Have a lot of stuff to do or because they invited her to come?”

 

“Hyo, I’m a CEO. I do have a lot of stuff to do.”

 

“Ms. Kwon your 10Am is here.” My secretary just popped her head and then went back to her desk. I got up quickly.

 

“Great! Hyo, I want you to come with and we will talk about that trip. You said we’re drinking tonight? So I guess it’s going to be hella fun.” I stopped walking when I saw a familiar face. I gulped and just looked at the woman who stood there with class and elegance that I so know.

 

Hyoyeon then notices this and chuckled. “Yknow what, I’m going to go ahead.”

 

Jessica.

 

“Yuri..” She slowly walks towards me and stood there frozen. “Long time no see..”

 

“Long time, indeed..” I looked down to her hand and I don’t see her ring. “You’re the owner of Blanc and Eclare.”

 

She nodded and smiled at me. She probably saw that I was looking at her hand. “Yeah, and it seemed like my ex-husband just wanted to marry me for profit from my company. So I also created B&E.”

 

“Ex-husband..” That made me laugh, I don’t know if it was rude but I saw her laugh, so I guess it’s not. “Well, best wishes for you on this presentation. Good luck Ms. Jung.” I smiled at her, this was probably the happiest that I’ve been for a while.

 

“Oh, I think I will nail it. You can congratulate me with coffee, later.”

 

“Done.” Her eyes stared down to my soul. The smile that I was longing for has found its way back to me and I just couldn’t help myself. Without a second to waste, I grabbed her by the neck, pulled her close to me, my other arm, wrapping around her waist, our lips crashing on each other.

 

The moment that I have longed for in years and I finally got it. I finally got her. “Done..” she whispered against my lips and that made me smile all the more.

------------------------------------------------------

IT has been a long time since I last updated :'( Sorry for that but I hope you like this one-shot. Much love guys!