What we want

Pink Rose (장미 분홍색 )

Minho sat next to me on the bench.

“Who are you?”

“Who do you think I am?” I questioned back.

“Are you hurt somewhere?”

“Why? Is it bad to not know who you are, where you belong, what you dream, what you want, what you love, what you hope, what you were and what you will be?”

Minho looked at me with sadness I couldn’t understand but didn’t answer.

 

 

EF8AoXD9wGCOQ6klomQYjH8XHIK4IWTF2cufTvCh7lIxONyl5MX4FvMWojAA1ppgVCGIJlsv6jH4RrGTA4Fc2haYKFAQVkKt0v8uC8hgXzQuul2jKeO_RZPVcmdX3fCjFjsi2mQP

 

“What are you doing here?!” both said at the same time.

They shared a long gaze until Mi Yeong realized she was facing the King.

“Ah sorry… What are you doing here, your highness?”

“It’s me who should ask you! This room was locked. Why are you in?”

His voice was high pitched, an indicator on how surprised and anxious he was by seeing her here.

“Well, your mother, the Dowager Queen, locked me in and asked me to clean the whole place. She said she would let me go only tonight.”

Minho looked around. The room was so clean that it looked like he left it yesterday, as if time had stopped in this place. His easel was still standing proud, his paint tubes were back in their box stored by color making a pretty rainbow, and all wood of the furniture was shinnying under the light coming from the high windows.  It hurt. It really did. Why this room didn’t change at all when everything did? How could the easel stand proud when he couldn’t anymore?

“Why did you clean it?” he asked with pain in his eyes.

“I just obeyed the Dowager Queen.” Mi Yeong simply answered.

“You shouldn’t have. This room is mine. No one can come in if I don’t allow it.” He said straight back with a cold voice.

“I’m not in a position to say no. I’m only a servant. I can’t disobey the Dowager Queen.”

He looked at her very angry. Mi Yeong squeezed a bit more her broom. Something was wrong with her King. She could feel that something was making him uneasy.

“You don’t like this room, your highness…?” she questioned him.

He looked around again and swallowed hardly before looking at her again.

“Did you paint all these?” she continued pointing at the paintings.

This time he didn’t look away. She felt his anger changing into something deeper and complicated.

“Why did this place was left to dust?”

“I left this room, the day my Prince’s birth.” he finally told her.

It should have been a happy day then thought Mi Yeong but in his voice there wasn’t any happiness… Why? She tried to find anything in his eyes but he looked away. Minho couldn’t let Mi Yeong read his feels. They were really dark and ugly.

“We need to go out.” He simply concluded.

“May I? Wouldn’t it be a sign that I disobeyed the Dowager Queen?”

He looked at her with some bright idea, grabbed his wrist and ran out. He closed the door; let his hand slid for a second on its wood and lead away still holding her wrist.

Here they were, walking fast from the garden to the corridors heading to his office. Mi Yeong still had her broom in her other hand.

“Highness…”

“What?” he said his eyes not leaving his goal.

“…the broom.”

“Forget the broom.”

They finally reached his office. He let go her wrist and looked for something into his desk.

Mi Yeong was there standing clueless with her broom. What was thins sudden change of situation?

When finally Minho found what he was looking for. It was a small gold and red brooch. He walked the distance between then and he pinned it on her gardener uniform. They were close, really close so close that Mi Yeong couldn’t see his face entirely. Her eyes fell on his Adam apple and her cheeks started burning.

“Look at me… Mi Yeong look at me.” He said once the brooch was pinned.

Her heart was beating like it was playing race with her blood, she lift her head and looked into his eyes. They were really too close. But it was really a beautiful way of looking at him. She realized that his eyes weren’t black. They were a mix of light brown stains with darker brown lines. His eyelashes were long and looked so soft. His lips were like drawn by angel and a beauty mark under his left lips corner was like a signature for his beauty.

Minho’s hand was still holding the small golden dragon brooch. His hand was touching her near her collar bone. He knew there was her uniform between his hand and her skin but somehow he felt the heat coming from her body and climbing in his by his arm. He saw her cheeks becoming slightly pink. The mix of pink and the white like porcelain of her skin made her look like a doll. Her lips getting slightly red made it harder for him to breathe.

None of them was able to say a word. They were admiring each other, keeping their thoughts for themselves.

Suddenly someone knocked on the door making them to jump apart of each other.

“Highness, it’s Jong Suk, are you in?” the bodyguard voice said from behind the door.

“Yes, come in.” Minho said to his friend. “Mi Yeong, listen to me.” He went back to what he was doing.

“Yes, your highness” she answered with a little shy voice.

Jong Suk came in and found it strange to find the both of them in the office. Plus, the atmosphere was really strange in between these 2 people.

“This brooch means that you are one of my people. You take order only from me. You will be affiliate to my quarter only. Do you understand what that means?” the King told his servant.

“Obeying only you, the King.” she repeated. “I understand.”

“Good. Go back to your room. You did enough work for today.” He concluded.

“Thank you, your majesty.”

Mi Yeong bowed and left the office.

Jong Suk saw her leave with a shy smile on her lips. He wondered what happened but she was happy. That made him light hearted. The entire reception was waiting for him to make his speech in honor of the belated Queen. This request made Minho’s mood change completely. What was he thinking on a day like today? He closed his eyes, sighed and head back to the garden followed by Jong Suk.

 

Mi Yeong was bouncing happily into the staff quarter. However, something made her stop. Eun Hui was getting out of her room. She looked at her from afar. What was she doing in her room? She called her out but Eun Hui didn’t answer and walked away without any noise. That was really strange...

 

Mi Yeong checked her door room and it was locked. How did Eun Hui entered? Only her and the head housekeeper had the key.

 

Once inside she rushed in front of the mirror to admire her new jewel. She smiled like a little girl while remembering their moment.

 

But her smile faded quickly. In her small room and with how quiet the whole palace became, she heard Minho doing his speech on the deceased Queen Ga Eun. Today was her death anniversary, how could she have desire for her widowed King? In fact, how could a simple servant desire a King? How dare she?

 

“Queen Ga Eun was someone caring and always defending the weak. She was full of grace and kindness. She was my only Queen and no one will be able to replace her by my side.”

 

Ga Eun was the luckiest woman in the world suddenly thought Mi Yeong. She had the best man by her side. She had the chance to be with the one she wanted. She sat on her bed and looked at her roof before falling on her back upon the covers. How could a king be with a woman who had no past? She closed her eyes and fell asleep.

 

~~

“Minho! What are you doing in there?”

Minho was in front of his easel painting a new picture. At the voice entering the room, he turned to face the door.

“Pumpkin! How did you find me in there?” he said gladly surprised.

“I followed you last time.” She said mischievously.

She walked around looking at the place. “I was walking in the garden enjoy the nice autumn fresh air, but suddenly it rained. So I ran to here since it was the nearest. Does it bother you that I found your hidden place, my dear majesty?”

Minho laughed a bit. That was quite a cute excuse. “Yes, really!” he said as a joke. “Where will I be able to hide from the world now that my universe found me?”

She walked the distance between then and saw several painting on her way. “Oh! This is the lake where we spent the last vacations! And this is the house we went to in Jeju! Did you paint all these?” she said impressed.

“Well, yes… I paint from the picture I love to take.” Minho answered shyly.

“They are beautiful, honey! You have a real talent! We should take some to pin on our walls. And what are you working on now?”

“Nothing!” he suddenly stood to hide his new art.

There began a small but cute fight to hide and see the ongoing painting. She attacked him with a hug and a quick kiss that made him froze and finally caught the photography that he used as a model.

“No!” he simply said while she escaped to the other side of the room.

“That’s….that’s me! And pregnant! YA! I look like an ugly pumpkin that was forgotten in a garden. How can you draw me like that?” she complained.

“That’s not true. For me you are the most beautiful woman, the most beautiful mother-to-be in the world. Look at how sweet is your smile and how your eyes sparkle. I really love this picture.”

Knocks on the door.

“Mi Yeong, are you in?”

Mi Yeong opened her eyes and when she saw her roof she sighed. “A dream…” she whispered. Some seconds passed and suddenly the painting came back into her thoughts! She needed to go get it! She stood up and ran out of her room.

“Mi Yeong!” Eun Hui stopped her.

“Eun Hui? Sorry I have something to do. I talk to you later, okay?” she said on a rush.

“Mi Yeong… the Dowager Queen wants to see you.”

“Later! I’ll go after that errand, okay? Thanks for giving me the info!”

For some reason, that painting was first. Was it because she dreamed of it or because now she was protected by the King? When she reached the far back of the garden it was already dark. All the guests had left and the palace was now back to its normal pace.

She found the painting where she left it and hid it the best she could under her gardener apron. Once the painting hidden in her room, she left it and head for the Dowager Queen apartment.

“It’s Mi Yeong” she said once in front of her door.

A female companion let her in. She approached the old Queen as she signed her.

“Closer please. Do you want me to walk to you or what?”

She walked closer, and this time it wasn’t comfortable like it was the King. The Queen looked at her with anger in her voice and slapped her!

“Who do you think you are to disobey my orders?! Why did you leave the place when I told you to stay in until I open it back?”

Mi Yeong caressed her painful cheek with eyes full of unfallen tears. Her whole body was trembling of fear.

“WORSE! You didn’t came when I ordered you too!” you could feel all the scorn for the gardener in the Queen’s voice.

Mi Yeong wasn’t able to speak anymore. The fear was blocking everything. The Queen raised her hand again and Mi Yeong just fell on her knees to implore forgiveness. She was scared, really scared… She knew she’d be in trouble by disobeying her… And yet… in this situation, unable to defend herself she called Minho in her heart. She begged for him to appear, begged for him to save her. How foolish she was… Tears fell on her face. She just wished all would end quickly, when finally the door opened.

“His majesty the King heard one of his employees was here, your highness.”

It was Jong Suk’s voice. Did Minho send him for her?

The Queen looked at him then at Mi Yeong and back to Jong Suk.

“The gardeners are under my responsibilities. The King has no right upon them.”

“Not anymore for this one. I am sorry, but she is now under the King’s orders. And then, with all rights, the King wants to see her at his office. Now if you please.”

Jong Suk grabbed the weak arm and lifted her. The Old lady eyes fell on the dragon brooch and closed her hand into tight fits. Jong Suk bowed while helping Mi Yeong to do the same and then both left the room.

They entered Minho’s office to face a so worried King pacing up and down. When he saw both of then he ran the distance.

“Mi Yeong, are you alright? Jong Suk, is she alright?”

Mi Yeong swallowed some tea and looked at him. She smiled for the first time since they she entered here. “How can I blame a King? It is my fault.  I shouldn’t have followed you. I should have do as ordered. Don’t worry highness. Being amnesiac makes you nobody, and when you are nobody, you are treated as it is. I’m used to. Plus, I know that her majesty the Dowager Queen doesn’t like me…”

“However, you were terrified. I can’t ignore it. She went too far this time. From now on, I’ll protect you. I’ll make it clear that you belong to my quarter and so that you cannot leave it without me being inform first.”

The gardener placed the ice on the table and smiled at him. She really didn’t deserve that much attention. “Your highness, may I ask you a question?”

“Please do.”

She hesitated for a second and then made her request. “May I go into the small garden house from time to time? I feel like… it is good place to hide when you want to be out of reach from this world…”

Minho put back his cup of tea on the saucer without even drinking. That house was a place where only pain remained for him. He left it for the last time on the day Min Gyeong came to the world. That was true. But the other truth was that it was the exact same day of Ga Eun accident. That same accident putting her into deep coma resulting of her loss…

“I see. I understand your highness. I won’t go in there, I promise.” she replied without waiting for his answer.

 

During this time in the old Queen room.

“What is this?” she asked.

“I don’t really know your majesty. But it might interest you.”

Some woman gave her a small book.

 

Back in her room, Mi Yeong looked for the portrait. She wondered if she was allowed to hang it on one of her wall. Maybe she should keep it hidden but somehow she loved the aura coming out from it. After a bit a reflection, she just placed it in equilibrium between her wall and her desk. She stared at it for quite a long time remembering her dream. She desired to be that pregnant woman so much that she dreamed of it.

Form her drawer she looked for her journal but couldn’t find it. Panic filled her veins. She went to her small bookcase and looked at all the spines but her diary wasn’t here either… Where was it? It couldn’t have walked out alone… Suddenly Mi Yeong remembered the woman. Did she take her journal? She couldn’t… No! No one should read it! It was personal, it was all her 1 year life. It was a gift from someone precious to her… She had put all her doubts, all her fear, all her happiness and all her hopes inside. No one should read it… No one!

She fell on her knees in the middle of her room. What should she do now…?

 

 

Hi hi !! 

I hope you've enjoy it  !! 

See you on next chapter ! 

Subscrib, upvote and comment ! 

Love xx