Setting you free

Setting you free

 

 

Where is she? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's already past midnight and she's still not home. She's supposed to be here by 8. Had she had an overtime again? Aish, I told her to stop over-working. I even told her to stop working. She doesn't even have to work. 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hey? You're here" My thoughts were got cut when I heard the clicking of the door. 

 

"Hmm" She seems so tired and exhausted. I went to her and tried to hug her but she just avoided it.

 

"I'm tired Nayeon." 

 

"Have you taken your dinner?" 

 

"—_—"

 

"It's already past midnight. I told you just stop working. It's not needed." 

 

 

 

"-_-" 

 

 

 

 

"Alright, just stop overworking. I don't like t to see you get tired and exhausted" 

 

 

 

"-_-" 

 

 

 

"By the way, how's your day? You seemed to be very tired" 

 

"Gawd! Can you please stop?" 

 

"What? I'm just asking" 

 

"Well, STOP ASKING!" 

 

"I just want to know what happened to your da-" 

 

"WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM!?"  

 

"Why are you shouting?"

 

"I'M NOT SHOUTING!" I sighed as Mina left to go to our bedroom. Door was harshly shot.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


It's always like this. 

 

 

 

 

It's always BEEN like this. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ever since she started working, she's always irritated. She's always annoyed. I can't even ask her anymore how's her day because she'll stop me even before I finished. 

Maybe, I'm just too annoying. She's tired from work and I know she wants to rest so, maybe that's why she's like that. 

 

 

I should maybe get some rest too. I still have work at 7 tomorrow. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

•••••••••••••••••••••

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Hey, Good morning" 

 

 

 

"-_-" 

 

 

 

"Are you still mad at me?" Mina just went out from our bed fully dressed for work. I guess she still was mad at me since all I got as a response was a glare. "Look, I'm sorry. I really just wanted to know-"

 

"No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have acted that way last night." 

 

"No, n-no, no, I totally understand. Your tired from work and I was annoying. I'm sorry. Please forgive me." She went to me and gave me a hug. She kissed my cheek then my lips. I wasn't satisfied with just a peck so, I chased her. This time I was the one who initiated the kiss. It wasn't heated. It was just moving of lips-

actually no, it was just mine that's moving. She didn't responded to it. I kissed her forehead and let my lips rest there for a while. I detached myself and went back to finishing my breakfast. 

 

 

"Take a seat. Let's eat" 

 

"Thanks, but I'll be going" 

 

"Again? Why?" 

 

"I have a presentation by 8 and I still have to prepare everything."  I sighed again. I know it's not appropriate to sigh in front of the food but- another sigh again. 

 

"Again?" Everytime I ask her for breakfast she's always like that. Saying she'll be having her presentation or she's needed at work by 7, she has to prepare for something, etc. She always has a reason. She can just tell me the obvious you know. I mean, It's so easy to tell but, I just want to hear it from her and I don't want to assume things. Uncontrolably, a tear fell from my eyes while I took a bite of the bread I made. Funny how bitter the taste was, I spread some strawberry jam on this. Later, I find myself shaking and the tears were now flowing nonestop from my eyes. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Why? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What did I do to make her act like this? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Maybe it's true though. I mean, she's an architect. She's just doing her job. It doesn't mean that she's late to go home and skipped breakfast that she doesn't want to spend time with me anymore right? Maybe I'm just overthinking.

 

 

"Uggggh!" I ruffled my hair in annoyance. I'm being stupid again. Thinking Mina doesn't lo- Aish! Stop it already Nayeon! Mina loves you. She loves you so much okay? She said so herself, so stop doubting and TRUST her shesh! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


•••••••••••••••••••••

 


"Hello?"

 

It was weekend, Yay! I'm always excited every weekend cause, no work! A whole two days of rest and spend some quality time with my penguin Minari but, guess what? She's not here. She's out there working her out. 

 

I was lazily laying on the sofa when suddenly my phone rang. I thought it was my penguin so I quickly answered it without looking at the caller ID. Only to be diassapointed.

 

 

"Hey, Jeong. Sup?"  

 

Sigh, why did I even thought about it. She's working. Why will she call me?

 

 

"Nothing much. Me and Momo are here in the mall having our weekend gala

 

"You really have to tell me that?"  Is she teasing me? Cuz if it is, then I'm not in the mood! 

 

"Of course not. I was actually calling because we saw Mina with some dude here. I just thought we might- wait. Where are you?"

 

She what?

 

She just saw Mina at the mall?

 

With a dude?

 

Is she serious?

 

 

 

"Wait, what? I'm at home, lazily laying on my couch. And what are you saying you saw Mina there, she's in their firm. Working

 

 

"I thought you're together

 

 

"I thought the same too.  I thought we will be together today and spend this weekend lovingly but, she suddenly got work to do .

 

 

"Hey, Nabong? I don't think Mina's at work. I mean, Aish, you should just get here and see for yourself. And she's with some guy that I'm not familiar with.

 

 

"Are you sure that it's Mina you saw? Anyways, yeah² I'll be there since I don't have anything to do today."

 

 

"Alright we're at Seoul Shopping Center and please hurry!

 

 

"Alright shesh, don't make me some kind of third-wheel there later!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

••••••••••••••••••••

 

 

"HEY JEONG!" I called as soon as I spotted them. We hugged each other and suddenly both their faces fell and the happy face their showing earlier was now replaced by a sad one. 

 

 

"Come with us." Okay... They're acting so weird. It's not possible that Mina's here right? I mean she told me that she'll be at work. I trust her. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We went to the ice skating section of the mall.

 

 

Why did they took me here?

 

 

Are we gonna have some ice skating session?

 

 

I thought we will be finding Mina.

 

 

 

As we were nearing the rink, my confusion were becoming clear. I can hear laughters coming from there. Not just any ordinary laughter. It was the same as hers.


My heart was now pounding crazily. It suddenly dropped. Maybe it's just because of the temperature here. It's not possible that Mina could be here. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

However, I was proven wrong when we finally reached the rink.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There she is. gracefully having probably one of the happiest day of her life. Her gummy smile were fully shown and it looks like she's back to being the carefree Mina that she is who doesn't have any problem in the world. 
Without knowing, a smile plastered on my face. I miss that smile of hers. It's been a long time since I saw that. Looking at her elegantly having fun in the ice makes me want to approach and join her but, Jeongyeon and Momo held me. I gave them a confused look.

 

 

"What? Hey, lemme go. I wanted to join her there." 

 

 

"You still wanted to join her after seeing that?" And I followed Jeongyeon's gaze and I swear my whole body froze on the spot. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Have you ever had that feeling when suddenly the world just moved in a very slow motion and your inside just dropped?

 

 

 

 

That feeling where you're like having some difficulty in breathing and your heart just like, stopped pumping blood?

 

 

 

 

Like it was beeing torn and ripped apart? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That's what I felt when I saw a boy suddenly came and hugged her from the back. She was surprised then giggled when she realized who it was. They skate together and sometimes he dissapeared and she'll be confused where she went and then he'll suddenly popped out of nowhere and steal a kiss on Mina. They'll be playing catch and he's holding her hand, and laughed together and- they look so happy together. 

 

 

"I'm sorry Nayeon" Jeong softly uttered and held my shoulder. I didn't realized that it was shaking until she held it. 

 

 

"Silly, what are you saying sorry for?" I shrugged her and wipe the tears that fell.

 

 

 

 

I even cried?

 

 

 

 

When did all this happened? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Let's get you home now bunny" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~

 

 


"Wait, that's not my Mina. MY MINA is at their firm. WORKING! THAT'S NOT MY MINA!" We were now at the basement of the mall and was about to get inside of the car. 

 

 

"Stop it Nayeon. That's Mina! YOUR MINA!" 

 

 

"No! She told me that she'll be at work! How come she's that one in there!" 

 

 

"Gosh wake up! She's not the same Mina that we all knew before. She's not the Mina that ONCE LOVED YOU!" 

 

 

"JEONGYEON!" 

 

 

"What? She has to realize Momo and accept that Mina's been CHEATING and LYING to her!" Tears started to flow again and I can't seem to stop them from flowing.

 

 

Jeongyeon was right.

 

 

That was Mina that we saw and she  lied to me.

 

 

 

SHE FREAKING LIED TO ME!

 

 

 

 

What is she doing here?

Why is she here?

Didn't she told me earlier that she'll be in their firm?

Why is she with that guy? AAAAAGHHHHHH! 

 

 

 

I thought I was so ready when this situation comes but, the pain isn't what I expected. It seemed to be suffocating and I can't breath properly and I can't stop myself from shaking and my tears,

 

 

I Can't Stop Them! 

 

 

I fell in the cold ground crying and shaking. 

 

 

"Why Jeong? What did I do?" I remembered them wrapping their arms around me before everything just turned dark. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The moment I woke up, it was already half past 11 in the evening and I was in my empty room. I received a txt from Jeong that they already went home since Momo was having her period and she was in pain and she has to took care of her.   I put my phone down and roamed my eyes around.  There's still no sign of any human being aside from me here. I decided to get up since I needed to use the bathroom and my stomach's asking for food. 

 

 

I was in the kitchen eating ramyon when I heard the door click. A moment later I saw her getting a glass of water in the fridge. I decided to just silently watch her and continued eating my dinner. 

 

 

 

 

 

"You got hungry?" I was surprised when she put her glass in front of me, filled it with water and sat across. It's been a long time since she'd done this, making a tear escape from my eyes.

I hummed in response. 

 

 

"You had your dinner?" I asked. She hummed in response. I know she probably is cheating on me and that yes, she might be lying but, I still care for her. I still love her. Another tear escape from eyes.

I didn't looked up at her and just focused on my ramyon. 

 

 

"Good. I didn't cooked anything." 

 

 

"So your saying is, that ramyon your eating is actually your dinner?" 

 

 

"Mm" 

 

 

"Why? Wait, let me make you something." 

 

 

"No need. You must be tired and I'm full. Thanks anyway" I quickly got up since the tear that dropped was now flowing continously in my eyes and placed the used utensils in the sink. I washed the dishes that I used and put the ramyon bowl in the trash. When I'm done, I proceeded to the living room, leaving her alone in the kitchen and the television.

Thankfully the tears stopped flowing. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"What are you still doing here?" 

 

 

"You should go to bed now. You're tired." I said without looking at her. I took a deep breath and continued on watching whatever show that's shown in the tv. 

 

 

 

 

I actually am not watching. I just need to pretend that I am since she's still there at my back, probably observing me or whatnot. It's also a way to hold whatever I'm feeling inside. I might break down again any minute and I don't want her to see that. So watching helped me get distracted, somehow. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Some time Later, I can feel another presence beside me. No need for checking, I know who it is. 

 

 

 

"What are you still doing here? Go to bed now and sleep" 

 

 

"I- I can't sleep" 

 

 

Why? Does she felt guilty for lying to me? Or did she found out that I saw them earlier in the mall?

 

That scene of them hugging and laughing, kissing and giggling earlier. 

 

My heart started to sting again. My insides went down again. I suddenly had the difficulty in breathing again. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Nayeon? I have something to tell you" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Something to tell? 

 

Will she confess that she lied to me? 

 

Will she tell me that she's actually out with someone and was not at work? 

 

When did it started? 

 

How did the two of them ended up being like that?

 

Has she been lying to me all the time? 

 

Are they both together? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What are we then?

 

 

Every question that popped in my head, my insides dropped and breathing gets more and more difficult.

 

 

THIS IS BAD!

 

 

Tears now  won't stop from flowing down and my heart aches so much.

So much that if I remained silent, I'll explode! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Why?"

 

 

 

 

 

Was all that I can respond. My lips are already trembling and even bleeding since I'm biting it. For her to just not notice my situation here. I can sense that she's taken aback and was surprised to my respond so I just continued. 

 

"Tell me, what did I do?" *sniff 

 

 

 

 

"Where did I went wrong?" 

 

 

 

What are you talking about?"

 

 

"I saw you earlier. Why did you lied to me?" She gasped and covered with her hand. Eyes grew wide and jaws dropped the moment I faced her. I cant hold it anymore. I don't care anymore that she saw my current state.

Tears flowing nonestop, lips trembling, shoulders shaking. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I'm sorry"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Was all she said. And that made everything crumbled.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The moment I feared the most is finally here. I always know everything has it's ending and I know I'm always prepared but, even if I am. It's still hurt. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It hurt so much that all I want was a stab directly at the area where the pain is coming from. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It hurts to accept that I'm not the reason that she can smile like of that smile she had shown earlier. 

 

 

 

 

 

It hurts so much that I can't be the one to make her day bright like I used to. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I don't know when it started but, I just woke up one morning realizing we're not meant to be together. That I needed to have a family of my own and have kids and be a good mother and gave them a good father and- I'm sorry. I just can't have that dream with you Nayeon" 

 

 

 

 

 

Every word she said hit a big impact on me.

 

 

 

 

 


 She wants to have a family.

 

 

 

 

 


 Each one of us dreamed of having one. 

 

 

 

 

I can be all selfish and I'll still have her but, her happiness is more important to me and helping her turn her dreams into reality is on top of my priority list. 

 

 

 

So yes, I'll be selfless. Giving up my happiness so that she can have hers.

 

 

 

 

 


A smile crept on my face that later was immediately replaced with a frown by just thinking of her getting pregnant. 

 

 

Getting pregnant of his child. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Mina. You know I love you so much. 

 

 

 

 

 

So much that I gave every part of me to you. 

 

 

 

 

 

My time, 

 

 

 

 

 

My attention. 

 

 

 

 

 

My lungs.

 

 

 

 

 

My heart.

 

 

 

 

 

My Love. 

 

I thought by doing all those things, treating you like how a princess should be treated, loving you unconditionally, giving you a good life was all you needed. But, I was wrong. I thought I had given you everything.

 

 

 

 

But, I wasn't. 

 

 

 

 

 

I can't give you a family.

I can't give you the family that you wish and dream. 

I don't have that ability. 

All I can give to you is my undying love and everything that I have but, that's not enough. 

 

 

 

 

 

It will never be enough." Every part of me was breaking into pieces while uttering those words. But I got to accept the fact and live with the reality. 

 

 

 

 

 

"I love you so much Mina. So much that I'm willing to give you everything. Even if it means, you leaving me" I can't hold it anymore. I broke down.

Everything seemed to crushed and torn into pieces. Like I was stabbed by millions and millions of knives everywhere in my body again and again. 

 

 

It hurt so much! 

 

 

Uggggggh! It Damn HURT SO ING MUCH! 

 

 

 

"I just have one wish though before you go" I tried to compose myself. I need to. For her. For myself. 

 

 

"What is it?" 

 

 

I faced her. My hands slowly reached her cheeks and caressed it. Her cheeks were so soft and I don't know if I'll ever get tired of touching them. 

 

 

 

 

"Hah, I can't believe your not mine anymore Mina. 

 

 

I don't know if I can move on with you. 

 

 

I don't know if I'll ever have this broken heart heal.

Hey, stop crying. I promised to not let you shed a single tear when we got together" I wiped her tears that were flowing nonestop from her wonderful eyes and linger my gaze to her face. This will probably be the last time that I got to see her face this close again. 


I closed my eyes and took a deep breath and said 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Can I kiss you for one last time? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Can I hug you for one last time?"

 

She smiled and leaned in. The moment our lips touched, A tear escaped from my eyes and It flowed continously as we kissed and moved our lips in sync. I don't want to break it but we both needed air and she enveloped with a hug. 


I hugged her back like there's no tomorrow and burried my face on the crook of her neck and enhaled her scent. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Is there anything I can do that could change your mind?" 

 

 

 

 

"That could possibly bring you back to me?"

 

 

 

 

 

"Can't you just stay with me?" 

 

 

 

 

 

"I love you so much Mina." We broke the hug and as much as I don't want to let her go in my arms, I have to. I need to accept the fact that she's not mine anymore. 

 

 

"Promise me you'll be happy with him and that, if you needed someone to talk to, don't hessitate to call me okay?" 

 

 

"I will" 

 

 

"Promise me you won't forget me." It wasn't a request but a plead. 

She teared up and embraced me and kissed me. 

 

"I won't ever forget you Nayeon" I kissed her on her crown for the very last time and she let go. 

 

 

Goodbye Mina, Thank you for everything.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm setting you free.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fin.

 

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note~

 

This is all guys, thank you so much for reading and again I'm sorry if I did not reached your expectations. I'm not a good writer T_T . Anyways, please tell me what do you think about my one shot. I really wanted to know your say to this JEBAAAAAAAL~ T_T And if you like this? Please do me some upvote T_T Thank you! :D

 

That's all. Till next time  ~_^ . Thank you again and have a good evening! 

 

Or morning? Afternoon? Just kidding. Bye~