fin.

Stars Are Better(with you)

”Why are you still awake? It’s three in the morning.” Mark rasped out, sleep thick in voice as he scolded the younger. Sat up, he was overthinking the call even though he knew it’d be something very Donghyuck. Donghyuck had a habit of calling Mark whenever, wherever, and although it was very endearing and warmed Mark’s heart that he was his first call, he isn’t always peaches at three in the morning.

“Do you want to come over?” Donghyuck asked, pausing, ”The stars are really pretty tonight and I just thought we could enjoy it, y’know. Together.” Mark fell back on his bed with a sigh, smile plastered on his face, because although he wishes he could go back to his warm bed, he knew he couldn’t resist Donghyuck, not that he wanted to, anyways.

The word ‘together’ making Mark’s cheeks heat up. He was always his weakness, in any situation he always chose Donghyuck over himself, over anyone. So, in the end, he was dressed in basketball shorts and a loose shirt ready to go over to his adorable boyfriend's home.

“I’ll be there.”

Mark breathed in and out steadily, counting the steps it took to reach Donghyuck’s house, even though he had that memorized ever since sixth grade when they were always at each other’s house. He got bored of that quickly, so he decided to take a peak of the stars before he went to Donghyuck’s. When he looked up, he couldn’t even spot a single star, which made him sigh deeply knowing that he was drawn out for some other reason.

When he reached his house, he pulled out his phone to text Hyuck, but before he could press send, he was pulled inside the house. He didn’t even have to ask, he automatically went up to Donhyuck’s room as he shut and locked the door, settling in on his bed. He waited for Donghyuck to walk back to the room, getting comfy on the too small bed that he’s had since fourth grade.

“So, care to explain why I came over with no stars in the sky?” Mark asked as he laid on his side, looking up at Hyuck while his head was rested on his hand. He wanted to thank god for the dark room, or else he would’ve spotted the reddening in Mark’s cheeks, or the way he had to swallow thickly and he’d definitely would’ve . Donghyuck looked extremely good, even when his hair was stuck up in eight different directions and the only light he had was the moon light that shined in through his windows. However, despite that, he was still the most beautiful boy Mark has ever seen.

“You came to my room at four am to cuddle with me.” Donghyuck shrugged, climbing in beside Mark on the bed when he felt Mark groan and flop on his back. He knew Mark wasn’t really upset, Mark could never be upset with him.

“You know, you could just ask me to sleep with you instead of some lame excuse to get me here,” he said, facing Donghyuck with a knowing smile on his face. He loved to tease hyuck, mainly because he would make this cute, shy face that made Mark’s heart race, but in a good way. Mark went to rest his hand on the youngers face, only to notice the dampness of it once he put his hands on his cheeks.

”Have you been crying?” he sat up with a start, reaching to turn on his bedside lamp only for Donghyuck to stop him. He could feel the tension grow in the air and he hated it, he hated seeing him cry, it broke him.

“Hyuck, come on, please,” Mark pleaded, resting both hands on his face to make him look at him. He saw the way his face scrunched, a sign he was holding in more tears, and his eyes shut closed. Donghyuck reached up and grabbed Mark’s wrists, holding them in place.

“Can you stay with me tonight?” he asked, sounding broken inside which only broke Mark more. Of course, a thousand times yes, he didn’t even dream of leaving when he was on his way over, but Mark opted to silently nod, laying back down beside donghyuck. He kept his hold on his face, dragging him to lay down on his chest.

”I’m not letting go until you tell me what’s wrong.” he stated as if it was a rule. He firmly kept his hands on his face, lightly rubbing his thumbs across his cheeks which made Donghyuck feel warm inside. He hated it.

“Mark, please, I’m fine.” he tried, although he knew it was futile. Mark was always the kind type, always there for his friends. Donghyuck shifted, turning to lay on his side facing Mark. He saw the look Mark was giving him, and he knew that look. He wouldn’t give up until he told him what was wrong.

“Okay, okay, but promise you won’t laugh?” he asked Mark, and Mark hurriedly nodded. Donghyuck didn’t really need him to reassure him, he knew Mark would never leave or judge him for whatever he was going to say. Mark’s face was soft, looking at Donghyuck like he was the most precious thing in the world. He hated it.

“Hyuck, I’m here. Always. You know that, baby.”

“I-I,” he paused to take a shaky breath in, “I’m just sad that you’re leaving soon. Like, really soon. I know you’re not going far, but I’ve never been more than a block away from you.” Mark let him finish, hands snaking around to hold the boy in his arms rather than just the boys wet cheeks. He squeezed his waist, arms tightening around him to hold him close and secure.

“Baby,” Mark softly called out, hands running soothingly against the youngers sides. Mark could feel him trembling against his hands, stomach flexing whenever he tried to hold in another round of tears.

“First, you don’t have to hold anything back, okay? You can cry and vent, just let it out.” Mark felt him start to cry under his hold, head leaning on his shoulder, face on his neck. “Second, I promise we’ll make this work, yeah? You’re right, I’m not far away, two hours is nothing compared to being states away. I’ll always, always, be back for holidays, and vacations, I’ll even come back for the hell of it, when I miss you,” he squeezed the boy even harder, “I love you, Hyuck.” He finished his rant with a soft kiss to the boys forehead, skin ablaze under his lips.

“Hyuck, look at me,” he pleaded, rubbing soft circles on his lower back and waist. Donghyuck looked up, looked straight into Mark, as if he could see inside him. Mark thought he was gonna start crying again, he got down to just sniffles, before the younger pulled him into a kiss. The kiss held all the emotions both were facing, fear, sadness, acceptance.

Mark was the first to pull away ready to make another spiel, but before he could finish his sentence, he felt his words get up right before him, and he felt something warm replace them. It was warm, wet, tasted of too much chocolate, but was Mark’s favorite thing in the whole world. Kissing Donghyuck, really kissing him, was heaven, cliche as it sounds.

Mark kept his hands around Donghyuck, but he moved them to his waist after he proceeded to sit on top of him, holding the kiss. He started to rub circles against his hips, stopping when he felt skin under his finger tips. Donghyuck sighed at the contact, Mark’s hand warm on his skin felt nice, despite him already being warm all over. Donghyuck’s hands betrayed their owner and wound their way up into Mark’s hair, lightly scratching his head which made Mark sigh against his lips. He heard Mark gasp and pull away as he roughly pulled his hair. Donghyuck really was the devil, he set Mark’s cheeks into another fiery frenzy, except his whole body was hot this time.

“, what was that for,” Mark whined, pulling back from Donghyuck and rubbing the back of his head where Hyuck had just pulled his hair. Donghyuck just chuckled and looped his hands around Marks waist, easily pulling himself back down on top of him, staring up at him.

“You’re really needy, you know that,” Mark teased as he wrapped his arms around his middle again, hands moving to same spot underneath his shirt. He felt the sigh Donghyuck breathed out under his head, ready for whatever he was going to say. Nothing could bring Mark down from this moment, not while he had his world in his hands, wrapped up in each other.

“And you’re really annoying for someone who just assaulted me with your mouth, you know that,” Donghyuck retorted back, feeling his heart warm when Mark whined and buried his flushed face into his head. He felt Mark give him a little kiss to his hair, and he felt like crying again. He was really going to miss this, all of this. He hated it.

”I don’t know what I did to deserve you.” Donghyuck sighed out, squeezing Mark’s waist harder and closer, if that was even possible.  He felt Mark look down, and he looked up so their heads bumped each other in response. Smiles were plastered across both of their faces, equally happy and just glad to be living in this moment.

“You didn’t do anything, Donghyuck. You were just you,” Mark said, -eating grin plastered onto his face. Donghyuck could feel the cheese radiating off of him, and he could feel the teasing remarks building up in his throat, but he couldn’t say them. They died on his tongue, opting to snuggle further into Mark, a sign he was sure to fall asleep soon.

And that’s exactly what they did, after Mark wrapped both of them in Donghyuck’s blanket, and tangling their limbs further.

-

The next day, Donghyuck woke up to the smell of pancakes and strawberries that wafted throughout his house. He smiled as he looked up at the ceiling, feeling warm and full, a complete 180 from his feelings yesterday. He wanted to appreciate the time he had left with Mark being only a block away, the time he had left to completely annoy but love his boyfriend with everything he had.

Once he felt ready enough, Donghyuck got up and bounded down the stairs of his house straight to the kitchen where he knew Mark would be. There he found him, in all his shirtless glory that the sun made look even more smooth. Wrapping his arms around Mark’s middle, he felt Mark jump a little due to his cold hands, but he relaxed once he got used to it.

“Hey, gorgeous,” Mark said greasily, smirk included and all. Donghyuck groaned, squishing his face further into Mark’s back, but sighing all the while. “I made breakfast, your favorite actually. And after breakfast, I figured we could go out and do whatever you want. For the rest of the summer, actually.” Mark turned around, lopping his arms around Donghyuck’s neck and leaning his forehead on his.

“We have the rest of summer to fill our hearts to the brim with each other.”