FINAL

The Boy with A Red Umbrella

After they get to know each other, they slowly become friends. Well, lucky on Mark’s side, Renjun is a new transfer student to his school. “So guys, this is Renjun. He’s new here and I hope y’all can be friend with him. Okay?” Mark said to his group. All of them give a good response to him. Renjun on the other hand, still feels awkward and shy around them, including Mark. Mark always make the move first, like offering him to join them during lunch, the one who suggest him to join them when they went to library and more. Mark knows it is gonna to take some time to make Renjun comfortable around him and the group, that’s why he always “lead the way” for his little angel.

“Mark hyung.” A voice calling him beside of the table. Renjun’s voice. “Yeah?” Mark peek to the side to look at the smaller boy. “I think I won’t join you at during lunch today.” Mark lifted his eyebrow but just nodded. “You’re going somewhere?” Mark asked and the little boy nodded. “I’m going to the library.” Renjun already stack his books and put inside his table. “Okay then, see you after school.” Renjun just nodded and started walking to the library. “Hyung.” Jeno tap Mark’s shoulder. Mark just hum to the calling cause he is busy jotting his notes down. Jeno clear his throat and starts talking. “Before I start, I just want to let you know that this is only my opinion so don’t get mad okay?” Jeno started to sound serious about this and it shocked Mark cause Jeno is the kind of person who didn’t like serious conversation.

“Why you sound so serious, Lee Jeno?” Mark jokingly looks scared by the statement. “Okay what is it? Tell me.” Jeno suddenly stop talking, looking like he is still searching a good words to start the conversation. “I don’t know hyung, but let me just straight to the point. Well there is rumour surrounding these days that some students hear a girl voice crying at the 3rd floor. And they said, they saw a ghost wearing our school uniform with super long hair repeatedly falling at the 3rd floor corridor, and it keep repeating.” Mark looking at Jeno and give that weird faces. “So your point is now what?” Jeno suddenly making horrified face. “I-I think Renjun is befriending the ghost..” Mark knock Jeno’s head with his fist. “This is why you should stop watching those stupid ghost stories. It’s getting into your nerves, .” Jeno just laughed and rubbing his head. “I don’t know hyung, but what if it’s real?” Jeno trying to convince Mark again.

“A ghost won’t touch that angel, and if it’s true she won’t take him with her.” Jeno looks surprised by the answer and Mark eyebrows go crazy again. “What? What now?” Mark looks annoyed. “Did I just heard something or my ears are malfunctioning right now?” Jeno says with a devilish grin. “Hear what, Lee Jeno? Are the ghost trying to communicate with you?” “Uh, no… Did I just heard you called Renjun angel? Like did you just said that?” Mark eyes widen. Oh did I just said that? “Uhh no… what do you mean? You misheard me.” “Oh I heard you alright.” A voice came from behind of them. “YA LUCAS WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!” Mark scream cause he was shocked as hell right now. “Lucas hyung, can u knock first when you come!?” Jeno still surprised by the sudden appearance of this giant sitting behind them, listening to them all this time. Lucas just laughed his heart out.

“Y’all dumb for real. I’m bigger than y’all and still can’t see me entering the room.” Lucas wiping his tears after laughing at the boys reaction. “But seriously Mark, I heard you. And Jeno it’s not only you, man.” Jeno and Lucas starts laughing and high fiving each other, Mark on the other hand, a mess. “So when do you want to confess?” Jeno asked, being an honest boy as always. Lucas nodded to Jeno’s answer. “Yeah, man. When you’re gonna man up yourself and confess to him?” Lucas, being the extra as always. Mark rubbing his forehead and keep shaking his head continuously. “I don’t know what both of you trying to say.” Lucas shaking his head. “No, it’s you who don’t know what are you thinking about. You think it’s not obvious? Come on man I know you since I was 5, stop being in denial.” Jeno just nodded to Lucas advice.

“Yeah hyung. You think we didn’t saw you on how you look at him? ALL OF US OBVIOUSLY SAW IT.” Jeno added some spices to the conversation which makes Mark uncomfortable af. “Give it a try Mark. You don’t know how he feels about you too, right? So this is the chance.” Lucas gives support to his number one friend. Mark just sighed. “I’m scared.” Mark suddenly looks down and both of the boy looks worried. “I’m afraid that if I confessed, and IF he rejected me, things gonna be awkward after that.” Lucas pull his chair beside Mark. “If that happens, give your time to him.” Mark looks weirdly at Lucas. “Uhh how should I give my time to him?” Lucas starts smiling and proceed giving advice to the next level. “Well if he rejects you when you confess, tell him to give you a month to show yourself that you are capable enough to be his. I know Renjun won’t reject that offer cause I know Renjun is not kind of a person who would reject an offer blatantly. He would reconsider it, trust me.” Lucas giving Mark some shine of hope. “Wow Lucas hyung you look so cool.” Jeno clapping his hand.  “I have to admit that you look cool today, Yukhei.” Mark give the bro handshake with Lucas and Lucas just smile proudly. “I’m doing this for my bro, so no problem.” “Yeah Lucas hyung I hope you find someone ASAP.” Jeno giving Lucas a high five and Lucas just laughed by the statement.

It’s already 5 pm and Mark still at school, studying some subject that they learn for today. After all, being a smart kid is a bonus for the looks. After finish all the studies he packs all of his thing and make way to home, but suddenly he remember Renjun. Is he still at the library? So he make his way to the 3rd floor, the so called haunted floor. When he reach the stairs he hear someone talking, and it sounds like Renjun. “Do you want some more? Here have some.” He can here Renjun talking to someone but it seems the other person didn’t respond to him. Mark just walk calmly towards him and he found out that Renjun was sitting at the corridor, with a puppy? “Renjun what are you doing here?” Renjun was shocked by the sudden greeting and just smile after he knows it’s Mark. “Oh hyung, you didn’t go home yet?” Renjun smiling while patting the puppy head. “No.. why is this puppy at the 3rd floor? Where did you find it?” Mark asked, actually feeling weird how can an animal be in a 3rd floor. “Ah, the cleaner granny gives this puppy to me. She said that at her house she has a lot of puppies so she gave me one of her puppies. Isn’t it cute?” Renjun kissing the puppy’s head and give it a hug while the puppy wiggling his tail. “Yeah it’s cute, like you.” Said Mark, there is sincerity in his tone. Renjun just smile while his cheeks turn pink. “No he’s cuter than I am.” Renjun said while pouting his lips. “Are you going home now, hyung?” asked Renjun to Mark who still stand beside the stairs.

“We can stay a little while if you want.” Mark settled down and sit beside Renjun and the puppy starts to sleep in front of Renjun. On Renjun’s lap, there is a sketchbook that he always bring along with him. “You never show me what you doodle in that book, can I look at it?” Renjun was hesitating at first but he just gave Mark the book. At the first page he drew a Moomin which Mark find it so cute. “Wow you really good in drawing.” Mark was amazed about how Renjun’s drawing look somewhat realistic to him. “You’re seriously talented Injunnie.” Renjun just smile awkwardly by the praise he got. At the end of the page of the sketchbook there is a drawing, so Mark quietly open it and what he saw after that makes him so happy. “Renjun.” Renjun who was busy playing with the puppy just gave Mark a hum. “Is this…me?” Mark shows the drawing to Renjun and Renjun quickly take it back and his face was beet red. “Y-yeah it’s you but I only draw it randomly when you were too focus on your study so I take the chance to draw you because of the lighting is good and I have nothing to do at that tim-“ “It’s pretty.” Mark said to shush Renjun. “Can I have it?” Mark ask politely. “NO!” Renjun scream and put the sketchbook in his bag. “It’s not pretty, I’m gonna do a better one l-later.” Renjun avoids Mark’s eye contact and starts to pack his bag and carry the puppy, making his way to the stairs. “Hey wait for me!” Mark shouted.

“Are your mum allowed you to bring animals in your home?” Mark actually worried that Renjun would get scolded by his mum if he bring animals. “No, she’s fine. She likes animals like I do, so don’t worry hyung.” Then they walked to a familiar street and the memories of their first met flashes back. “Did you remember what happen here?” Mark asked Renjun who looks like he remembered the memories too. “Of course I remember, it’s our first meeting here, in the rain.” Renjun smiles when he remembered those moment. “Yeah, you with your big red umbrella.” Renjun nodded. “Yeah, and you with your wet school uniform.”  The two can’t stop smiling and walk while looking at the sky. “Wow there’s a lot of stars tonight.” Renjun pointing to the sky. Mark suddenly hold Renjun hands to make him stop walking. “Renjun.” Renjun who was startled by the sudden action, just stopped walking. “Y-yeah?” Mark hold Renjun hand and didn’t let it go. “Can we stay like this for a while?” Mark put Renjun’s hand on Mark’s chest. And Renjun can feel that Mark’s heartbeat is beating fast. “Can you feel it? Did you feel it?” Mark asked, his voice sounds so calm. “Y-yeah I can feel it. Why?” Renjun looks worried and weird at the same time. “Did you know why it’s beating so fast like this?”Renjun shake his head. “Because you’re here with me, in here.” Mark pointed to his heart. Renjun didn’t know how to react cause he didn’t quite understand what Mark is trying to say to him. “Renjun look at me.” Renjun bravely look at Mark’s eyes and he knows. Mark is trying to confess to him. The sparkly eyes who desperately want him to be his. The moment Renjun looks at Mark directly to his eyes, Mark knew he will fall over and over again for Renjun and he didn’t mind at all. “Renjun,…. Would u be mine?” Mark takes the challenge and confeses to his little angel. Renjun was shocked by the sudden confession looks like he’s going to be a tomato soon cause his face is red and his face feels hot. “Mark hyung, I..” Mark knows Renjun won’t love him in return but he feel glad that he confess so he let go of Renjun’s hand but before he did that Renjun suddenly hugged Mark waist and put his face in Mark’s chest.

“Can you be mine, too?” Renjun said, sounds like his trying to hold in his tears. Mark  smiles and hugged Renjun in return. “Is that even a question?” Mark playfully asked while Renjun’s hair. “Hey.” Renjun peeked his head out of Mark’s chest. “Yeah?” “I love you, my angel.” Renjun playfully punch Mark’s broad chest. “I love you too, silly.” Mark let go of Renjun’s hug and start wiping Renjun’s tears. “Don’t cry.” Renjun just smiling while pinching Mark cheeks and laughing at how squishy his cheek is.  Without second thought, Mark leans in to give first ever kiss to someone and Renjun who is shocked by the move just being numb and red. There, the love story between the red umbrella boy and the wet uniform boy BEGINS. Plus the puppy too.