Chapter 1

Facade

Momo sits in a cafe across from her best friend Sana, who is blabbering away about how she swears that she saw the mannequin in the store window wink at her. While Sana is truly Momo’s entire life, and she would never abandon the girl even for a second, Momo can’t help but drift her attention towards something else -- someone else. Seated at a few tables away from them is probably the most beautiful girl Momo has seen in her entire life. The older girl can’t help but be completely drawn to her silky brown hair, mesmerizing eyes, insanely cute cheekbones, adorable bunny tee --

“Momo, are you even listening?” Sana pouts, crossing her arms. 

Momo quickly turns her head to look at Sana. “Y- yeah I am. You were talking about a mosquito winking at you, right?”

Sana begins to whine, “See, you’re not even listening! It was a ma--” But before she can finish her sentence, Momo whispers at a volume that could practically be considered yelling.

“Hush! Act normal. Im Nayeon is walking towards our table,” Momo does her best to pretend that she hasn’t been staring at Nayeon and almost too casually takes a sip of her coffee… 

before she spits it out. 

“Yuck! It’s too hot!” she slaps her tongue with her hands, hoping that the gesture will ease the burn.

Nayeon passes by their table while Momo’s tongue is still out like a panting dog. The poor girl catches Nayeon’s lips slightly curved into a smirk as she strolls by, barely glancing at Momo for even a second. 

Momo disappointedly huffs. “Stupid coffee.” She pushes the cup away from her.

Sana rolls her eyes. “You know, every time you tell yourself to act normal you do the exact opposite.” 

“I can’t help it!” Momo pouts, her bottom lip jutting out. Sana can’t help but realize how insanely cute she looks when she does that. 

When Momo looks around again, she finds that Nayeon has left the cafe. Her bottom lip sticks out even further, and she convinces herself that she has zero chances with Nayeon. 

“Don’t worry, Momo. You deserve someone better than her,” Sana comforts her, as if she can read the girl’s hopeless thoughts. 

The older girl pouts, “More like she deserves someone better than me.” Momo slowly begins to realize that Nayeon will never notice her. She is too much of a queen and a literal goddess to ever pay attention to an introverted and quiet girl like Momo.

Sana’s eyes sadly watch the heartbroken girl in front of her. She knows how much Momo likes Nayeon. Hell, it’s been three years and Momo is still head over heels for her. It always hurts for Sana to see Momo be anything but happy, and that is why Sana suddenly feels as if her heart is aching, too. 

The younger girl tries to distract Momo and suggests, “Why don’t we stop by Mina’s for a while? I know she’s been waiting for us to watch her ballet rehearsal.”

Momo finally looks up, her frown a little smaller, “Okay, let’s visit Mina.” She gets up from her seat, with Sana trailing behind her, and throws her coffee away, glad that it’s out of her hands. (Momo decides that she likes coffee a little less now and will drink tea next time.) 

When she reaches to push the door handle, Momo feels someone on the other side pulling it. The older girl instantly halts in her tracks, causing Sana’s head to collide with the back of Momo’s neck.

“Oomf. Momo why did you--” However, Sana stops speaking when she lifts her head up and realizes that Momo is face to face with the one and only, Im Nayeon. 

“Are you Hirai Momo?” The girl asks.