Late Night Adventure

Late Night Adventure

"I hope you can finish this project by this Sunday, and then we will meet our next client on Tuesday for your last project as my subordinate, you alright with that?" The boss asked.

"Yes, I'm fine with that," Nayeon smiled and nodded. 

"Alright, I'll see you tomorrow, get a good rest and don't be late," ordered the boss.

Nayeon just smiled and didn't say anything. When the boss was out of her sight, she completely changed her expression, gave herself a facepalm, and wiped the sweat on her face. 

Out of all the days, she hates Wednesday the most, because Wednesday means she already worked for two days before and she needs to work for another two days. With that in mind, she was annoyed all the time almost every Wednesday, except when its National Holiday of course. 

She put her belongings to her bag and walked pretty fast to exit the office. "One more project," she said to herself quietly while she was in the elevator. It was 11:00 PM, and again, the night guard on the first floor greeted her. She has been greeted by the guard for the past few weeks and she just know that guard was exactly the same person after he greeted her for 5 days in a row because she never went home this late usually. 

Nayeon walked into the station a little too late this time because she went to a store nearby to buy some snacks. She knew the next train would be 20 minutes apart but she did not mind waiting as long as she got her snacks. Nayeon walks into a bench and sat on it while chewing her snacks and listening to her so called "Late Night Playlist" on her Spotify. In about 3 minutes, she could feel someone was sitting alongside her and she scooted immidiately to prevent any kinds of interaction. However, the person also kept scooted to her direction as if the person was deliberately wanted to annoy Nayeon. The person kept their distance close to Nayeon until Nayeon reached the end of her bench and the person kept scooted to Nayeon's direction. 

"Excuse me, what is your problem exactly?!" Nayeon finally spoke up while trying to make an eye contact with the person.

"Oh, so that's how you greet your old friend? Well, to be honest, I have several problems right now," said the person while opening her hood.

"YOO JEONGYEON?! IS THAT REALLY YOU?!" Nayeon shouted. Nayeon felt her tears went down her cheeks almost immidiately after seeing Jeongyeon's face. 

Jeongyeon smirked and Nayeon somehow saw Jeongyeon's eyes were watery. It was an unexpected reunion of those two, after all, last time they met each other was 5 years ago and it was not exactly a goodbye they want to remember. They were classmates during the highschool and its safe to say that they were not only just classmates, they were the most famous duo in their school. They went almost together wherever they go, they always in the same group, in short, they were what so called friendship goal for most of the people. However, just before the graduation, unfortunate thing happened. Both of them fought real bad because Jeongyeon felt Nayeon was just taking any advantage from her and their friendship was not real. Jeongyeon herself was known as the most wealthy student during her time in high school and many students assumed that Nayeon was only there for Jeongyeon's money. One day, Nayeon borrowed a big sum of money from Jeongyeon, after hearing that, a lot of envious people told Jeongyeon that Nayeon was just using her and it was supported by the fact Nayeon did not contact Jeongyeon for the whole 3 days and did not even showed up in class. Jeongyeon was finally confronted Nayeon when finally able to meet her and both of them had a big fight. The truth is, Nayeon borrowed the money to support her mother's surgery, and wanted to tell Jeongyeon after her mother's surgery was successful. Jeongyeon realized her mistake, and tried to apologize to Nayeon, but Nayeon was too dissapointed to forgive her because in her mind, Jeongyeon trusted the other students more than her. Three years prior to their break up, Nayeon's father tried to pay the money they own to Jeongyeon's family, but they refuse to accept and they want Nayeon's family to consider the debt was already paid as a token of apology to Nayeon. Nayeon tried to contact Jeongyeon after her father informed her of what happened but Jeongyeon was already studying abroad. 

They hugged each other in tears, on a bench inside an almost empty train station. "I'm sorry," Jeongyeon whispered haltingly. 

"No, its my fault for not contacting you for a long time, I should have forgiven you, without you, my mother wi-" 

"No, please, all I did was betraying your trust," Jeongyeon cut Nayeon before she was able to finish her sentence. 

And then both of them talked to each other for quite awhile, they even ignored the train that they were supposed to enter. 

"Let's go to our usual restaurant, this time its my treat," Nayeon said joyfully. 

"Come on, why would it be your treat? All you need to do is show me a good restaurant and I'm the one paying, just like old times," Jeongyeon grinned.

"I can pay for myself now, you don't have to do that Jeongyeonie," Nayeon tried to assure Jeongyeon.

"Hey, I'm not saying you could not pay for the meal, its just that I don't want to change anything about our friendship," Jeongyeon blushed.

Nayeon chuckled and agreed to Jeongyeon's plan. They finally went to their usual restaurant near their high school area. Unfortunate for them, the restaurant was already closed. Nayeon tried to think where they could eat at this hour, sure enough, she knows about a nearby late night restaurant. 

"I know a restaurant nearby, it's a japanese restaurant, but they only serve take away food at this hour," Nayeon opened her phone to check the restaurant's whereabout.

"I don't mind, as long as they serve good food," Jeongyeon agreed. 

Both of them went to the restaurant by using taxi. After ordering the food, they discussed where should they eat it because it was already late in the night and the restaurant only serve a take away order. After much discussion, they decided to eat it near the arcade where they used to visit during their high school time. The place itself was not exactly near the restaurant but they decided to take a walk anyway. On their way to the arcade, Nayeon started a conversation to break the ice.

"So... What are you up to these days?" Nayeon asked while taking a bit of her food.

"Me? Nothing much, just work I guess," Jeongyeon answered while looking to the sky.

"Working? Wow, what are you working right now?" Nayeon finally looked into Jeongyeon's eyes.

"Well, you know that I need to continue my father's work and to continue his work, that means I need to invent something, probably greater than my father's invention" Jeongyeon answered calmly. Nayeon knew her father owned one of the most popular electronics company and since high school, Jeongyeon was already felt the pressure to continue her father's work and that was why she had to study abroad. "Anyway, can I ask you something?" Jeongyeon suddenly asked.

"Sure, why not?" Nayeon said.

"Why didn't you try to contact me while I was abroad? You know... I was.... Kinda... You know..." 

"Kinda what?! I don't know what you're trying to say," Nayeon teased Jeongyeon.

"I was lonely okay! There! I said it loud and clear!" Jeongyeon's cheeks getting red.

Nayeon just laughed before she answered the question, "I just don't want our first interaction after years of silence was just from a text, I just want our first interaction after our fight just like this. But well, minus of what you did on the bench of course!" Both of them laughed.

They finally arrived on their destination, the arcade where they used to play during their highschool time. They ate their food so passionately as if they haven't eat anything for days then finished their food in less than 10 minutes. Once they finishe their meal, without saying any words, both of them entered the 24 hours arcade and started to play some games they familiar with. Being inside the arcade made them feel as if they were back to high school again, a lot of precious memory was created in this place and they just could not believe that they could feel this way again.

"Hey, Nayeon, look," Jeongyeon pointed at the high score in one of the dancing machine. "After all this years my score is still the highest," Jeongyeon said proudly.

"Oh so you are challenging me now huh?" Nayeon said jokingly.

"You wanna go? Alright then let's go," Jeongyeon accepted.

Both of them tried their best playing the dancing arcade machine, and although somehow Nayeon won the game, she still unable to beat Jeongyeon's all time high score.

"Oh wow, I thought you really good at this game, why suddenly you lose 500 points apart now?" Nayeon grinned at Jeongyeon.

"Shut up, the only reason you win is because I can't dance while having food in my stomach," Jeongyeon tried to find a reason.

Nayeon knew she had no point in debating Jeongyeon right now as she could clearly see Jeongyeon was still out of breath. After playing some more games in the arcade, they decided to go back to their houses since it was already 3:00 AM. They finally decided to say goodbye to each other but before they enter the taxi, they hugged each other first, although it was kind of awkward because the taxi driver was waiting for them to finish their hug.

The next day, something was bothering Nayeon. She works just like usual although she felt more tired than usual because of what happened the night earlier, but that was not the thing that bother her the most. After saying goodbye to each other, Nayeon realised that she had not asked for Jeongyeon's number because they were pretty worn out last night. 

Hoping that Jeongyeon would do the same, Nayeon went to the train station after her work on the exact same time as yesterday, hoping to meet Jeongyeon again the way they meet each other yesterday. After several trains passing by, she had not see Jeongyeon anywhere nearby and finally decided to take the next train in dissapointment. When Nayeon was about to enter the train, she heard a voice from the distance, "HOLD IT NAYEON-AAAAH!!!!!!" when she turned her head to the left, she saw Jeongyeon running full speed towards her with a plastic bag full of snacks.