Omakase

Omakase

Smoke. Again.

Jin was starting to wonder why he kept opening his windows when instead of the fresh air he craved, his apartment became filled with the stench of smoke and burned food instead. This was the third time this week alone, and he was beyond fed up. It took him two whole days to air out the smell from his own place last time since he was pretty sure rubber was somehow involved, and he could only imagine how bad it must be in the apartment next to him that it was coming from. It didn’t matter how gorgeous he thought his new neighbor was, this was unacceptable.

“5, 4, 3, 2, 1...” Jin counted down until he heard the shrill sound of the fire alarm being activated. It was quickly followed by the usual noise of crashing as his neighbor clearly ran into all of his furniture on the way to turn off the alarm, and the deep voice growling at the alarm like he could command the noise to stop. 

Drastic steps were going to have to be taken if Jin wanted to live in peace again.

With a heavy sigh, he walked to his kitchen and went through his cabinets and his fridge, gathering all the ingredients he thought he would need. He put everything into his shopping tote bags (The not quite as cool store brand ones. He was so not going to take his favorite Nintendo bag and have it end up smelling like smoke for 84 years). He picked them up and began to leave the kitchen before he remembered how much burned rubber he’s been breathing in for the past few weeks. God knows how many cooking tools have been murdered next door. He supposed he could spare some pans and proper stainless steel utensils. He was a chef, after all. He could always do with new equipment. With that decided, he packed a few pans that he wouldn’t mourn too much, some spatulas, a cutting board and a chef’s knife that Jin felt like he was sending on a suicide mission. 

Supplies in hand, he made his way next door and pounded so he’d be heard over the racket. The fire alarm finally stopped, and he could overhear his neighbor mumbling to himself. The sound of glass crashing and a muffled, “” indicated the owner's journey to the front door. 

The sassy commentary that Jin had prepared on his way over was utterly erased from his mind when the door flew open, and his eyes were assaulted by a gold tinted bare chest. The smoke cloud that was set free by the open door barely registered as Jin’s eyes traveled from the six...no, eight...pack abs up to the astonished eyes of his incredibly attractive neighbor. 

“Oh, it’s you!” The tanned adonis blurted out, his face turning a sweet crimson shade as he’d realized what he said. 

“It’s me! Is that a good thing or a bad thing?” Jin joked, hoping to ease the tension and distract himself from the deep dimples on his neighbor’s face. 

“It’s good! I mean...” he cleared his throat and chuckled nervously. “It’s...I’ve just seen you around. You live next door, right? I’m Kim Namjoon.” He looked down at Jin, a cute, shy smile deepening the dimple on his left cheek. 

“Yes, I’m Kim Seokjin. Pleasure. Look, I’m going get straight to the point. You’ve been next door to me now for a month. During that month, nearly three days out of every week I am afraid for my life and the lives of everyone in this building. So, for the sake of world peace, I am going to teach you how to cook something simple. I am much too pretty to die.” Jin brushed past Namjoon without waiting for an invitation, not missing the mumbled, “I agree.” He smirked to himself as he laid out his supplies. 

Namjoon left the door open to try and air out some of the lingering smoke then wandered over to the counter where Jin was and plopped into a barstool, observing with his face propped in his large hands. 

“Good God! Look at this mess!” Jin shrieked when he finally took in the scene on the stove. There was a pot filled with some sort of goopy blob and in a pan next to it was the charred remains of an attempted fried egg. 

Jin clucked and began cleaning everything up, snickering when he noticed Namjoon’s sheepish expression. 

“What were you even making?” Jin asked as he tried to scrub at the pot in a vain attempt to save it. 

“Ramen.” 

Jin’s head shot around to stare at him in shock. “Ramen? How do you up ramen?”

Namjoon rubbed the back of his neck and shrugged, embarrassment flushing his cheeks. 

“You’re lucky you’re cute. That will make up for lack of skill.” Jin stated as he finally gave up on the pan and threw it away. 

“You think I’m cute?”

The teasing tone made Jin look up, and he caught Namjoon’s little grin. Jin snorted and began setting his ingredients out. 

“Like you weren’t aware. The sky is blue, the grass is green, you’re hot. Don’t act like I haven’t seen you flirting like a boy with Hoseok in 4B.” 

Namjoon laughed. “You know, the sky isn’t actually blue. Blue light is scattered in all directions by the tiny molecules of air in the Earth’s atmosphere. Blue is scattered more than the other colors because it travels in shorter waves. Hence, we end up seeing blue more.”

Jin groaned dramatically. “Oh, that explains everything.” 

“What explains what?” 

“You’re one of those nerds. The ones that are book smart but can’t do anything in real life.” 

“I feel like I should be offended,” Namjoon replied with a smile. 

“Don’t be. Not everyone can handle having beauty, brawn, and brilliance in one perfectly decorated package like me.” Jin pretended to flip hair back, earning a chuckle from Namjoon. 

“So what are we making today, chef?” Namjoon asked, eyeing the ingredients and supplies that Jin was organizing. 

“Side note, I actually am a chef. Lucky you. Today I am going to teach you how to make Jajangmyeon.” 

“Oh ! That’s like, my favorite dish!” Namjoon was off the barstool and jumping up and down like a child. Jin found it endearing but chose not to say anything. 

“I’m aware. When the apartment is not up in flames, I see the bowls waiting for pickup outside. However, making it yourself is simple, cheaper, and it’s easier to begin learning how to cook with something that you’d want to make a lot.” Jin put the pan over the flame and grabbed his oil when he caught sight of the golden skinned chest. 

He’d nearly forgotten. 

“If you plan on cooking you might want to cover all that up.” He said, gesturing vaguely in Namjoon’s direction. 

“Oh, yeah. For my safety or because you’ll get distracted?” Namjoon joked as he threw on a tank top that Jin could barely justify calling a shirt. The armholes went down so low that he could still see the abs from the side. 

Jin rolls his eyes and goes back to his task. He shows Namjoon how to prep the black bean sauce, chop the vegetables (the man didn’t even know to take the sheath off of the knife first) and saute the pork. He also taught Namjoon to clean as he cooked so there wouldn’t be a pile of dishes at the end. An hour later, their Jajangmyeon was beautifully dished with some fresh noodles and Namjoon had only sliced his fingers once. 

Namjoon ate his portion like a man starved, only stopping once to tell Jin it was even better than the takeout version he usually got. Jin had to order him to shut up and focus on eating correctly because he looked like he was going to choke and die while he watched.   

They slouched against the back of their chairs when they were done, Namjoon rubbing his stomach with a contented air. Jin got up and washed the bowls and started putting anything he was going to take back to his place in his bag. 

“You’re leaving already?” Namjoon asked, and Jin swore he was pouting. 

“Yup. This has been fun, but I have to be at work early to prep.” 

“Well, I gotta pay you back somehow. That was like, the best food I’ve eaten in forever. Since I moved out on my own, I haven’t been able to feed myself well. Kinda makes me appreciate my Mom a hell of a lot more.” 

Jin chuckled as he walked towards the door. “Just pay me back by not burning down our home.” 

Namjoon continued pouting as he followed behind Jin. He opened the door for him and looked down at the ground before mumbling. “Wanna, like–I mean, if you’re not busy... We could get lunch? Or even just coffee if you don’t have a lot of time?”

“Is this you trying to seduce me?” Jin joked, loving the way Namjoon’s face turned such a pretty color whenever he blushed. 

“No...I mean, I wouldn’t be opposed...but, I mean....” Namjoon rambled as he rubbed the back of his neck. 

Jin giggled and pecked Namjoon’s cheek before walking quickly into his own apartment. He laughed when he overheard Namjoon talking to himself through the thin walls. “Holy , I think he actually likes me! YES!” Perhaps he’ll let Namjoon learn about the walls on his own. He has a feeling he will hear a lot more exciting things if he keeps his mouth shut. 


Jin had the most stressful day. As if he didn’t get stressed out enough by his usual demanding customers, he swore that those last two men that came in were from Michelin. If his restaurant could get a star, his dreams would come true. He imagined he wouldn’t know how he did for awhile, but he knew he’d tried his best. 

He trudged up the steps to his apartment, already dreaming of a nice hot bath and some Japanese beer. A flash of red caught his eye and he glanced down to see a single rose on his doormat. He was confused for about five seconds before he heard a crash next door and saw the window curtain fluttering. He put two and two together. His giant fool of a neighbor was a romantic, it seemed. Jin felt his face get hot as he actually blushed. Him, Kim Seokjin, blushing! 

“Ah, why is this big dummy making my heart flutter?” He wonders as he finally enters his apartment. 

He takes his rose and puts it in a champagne flute, making a mental note to buy an actual vase tomorrow. He decides not to question why he was packing the beer he’d been looking forward to into one of his shopping totes, along with the pasta and cheesecake he’d made at work. By the time he’s knocking on Namjoon’s door, he’s convinced himself he’s only doing the right thing so the kid doesn’t fill the place with smoke again. 

“Oh, you’re back!” Namjoon’s voice is filled with wonder as he flings open the door. His hair is still wet like he’s fresh from the shower and he’s bare-chested yet again. 

Does this man ever wear shirts? 

“I brought some food home from work if you’re interested. I figured it would be better for me to share then risk you burning me alive today.” Jin tries to joke like he’s unaffected, but his voice sounds nervous even to his ears. 

“Thanks, Seokjin. I’m glad you were thinking of me.” Why did Jin think he heard a double meaning behind those hummed words? 

Jin didn’t respond, just began to set out plates and portion out the food. Namjoon gleefully hopped onto a bar stool and leaned over to sniff the pasta. With a huge smile, he brought one colossal forkful to his mouth, and Jin waited patiently to get a reaction. 

Namjoon’s eyes widened comically, and he began talking with his mouth packed full. 

“JIN! You made this? This is so good!” Or at least that’s what Jin thought he heard. 

Jin hid a smile as he dug into his own plate. He tried not to look too deeply into the feelings he was dealing with. He was getting too much satisfaction from feeding this man. Couple that with Namjoon being a romantic, gorgeous, adorable nerd, and Jin could feel himself falling. 

When they were finished, Jin got up and began dishing out the cheesecake. If Namjoon loved the pasta, Jin knew he’d be euphoric over the cheesecake. Everyone begged for it. He usually sold over a hundred of these a week. Jin set a slice in front of Namjoon and observed as he yet again hungrily shoved the biggest forkful of food into his mouth. Instead of repeating his previous reaction, Namjoon’s eyes lowered, and he gazed at Jin while he finished chewing. 

“Why are you staring at me like that?” Jin finally asked, getting a little worried. Maybe he’d finally found someone that hated his famous cheesecake. 

“Will you marry me?” Namjoon finally whispered, looking serious. 

“WHAT?!” Jin squawked, not even sure what to say to that. He knew people loved his cheesecake, but this...

“I'm serious. You’re beautiful, funny, sassy, compassionate, are like the God of cooking, and this cheesecake...I want you to make me this cheesecake every weekend for the rest of our lives. Also, I think I’ll die if you don’t keep feeding me. I need to wife you up fast before someone else does.” 

Jin stared at Namjoon as the other sat there looking content and rather amused. 

“Ok, first of all, who says I’m the wife? Secondly, you’re insane. We haven’t even been on a single date. You can’t propose before you even date, dum dum.” 

“What do you mean? This is our second date, baby. Two more dates and that is mine.” Namjoon smirked, and Jin could feel his entire body shiver. 

“Kim Namjoon, we’ve known each other two days. Slow the down.” Jin could feel his face turning red. From anger, embarrassment or excitement, Jin didn’t know anymore. 

“You’re cute when you’re angry. Also, you’ve been noticing me a lot longer than two days, baby. Our walls are pretty thin, you know.” 

“Will you go out with me on a real date tomorrow, Kim Seokjin? I’ll pick you up, take you somewhere where you don’t have to cook, maybe sing you the song I wrote for you last night.” 

“That sounds nice,” Jin whispered, trying to hide his blush, but he knew his ears gave him away. 

“Then, after a long drawn out, overly dramatic courtship, you’ll marry me. We already have the same last name and live in the same building. Honestly, we would be doing it for conservation reasons. You know, might as well save water and shower together.” Namjoon silently laughed as he grinned at Jin, pulling him closer to stand between his legs. 

“Fine. Now, shut up and kiss me.”

“Anything for my wife.”