Old habits

Finding your way back home

A/N: Hey so I really love jungli. They are one of the ships I can’t and wouldn’t break up. This is my first ever attempt at a jungli oneshot so hopefully it turns out okay.

 

It was out of the blue when Jinri’s phone rang and the number flashed across her screen surprised her. The dark-haired woman stood in shock for so long that she nearly missed the call. Jinri pulls herself together long enough to answer.

 

“Soojung?” Jinri whispers in disbelief, as can the caller really be Jung Soojung? The same Soojung who she hasn’t spoken to in years. God, how many years has it been now, 5 possibly 6? Jinri isn’t sure but it feels like forever since she’s even heard the other woman’s voice

 

“Jinri, hey.”

 

Hey? Jinri frowns to herself. It’s been several years since Soojung has spoken to her, and the first words she says is hey. There is no reason for Jinri to stay on the phone, and she could easily hang up on Soojung. However, this isn’t just any random friend that she hasn’t heard from in years. She is Soojung, and that still matters after all this time.

 

“Please don’t hang up.” Soojung asks her, and the way she asks is one of the reasons why Jinri doesn’t hang up. Although, she really could if she wanted to.

 

“Soojung, it's been a long time.”

 

“I know, I’m sorry.”

 

Jinri doesn’t want her to apologize, or rather she doesn’t want to hear any apologies at this moment. If Soojung wanted to contact her at any point over the years, then she could have done so. Jinri wants to know why she’s calling now all of a sudden.

 

“Is there something I can do for you?”

 

She hadn’t meant to sound as harsh as she did. She can’t help if she’s hurt, but she will not unload her feelings on the phone like this.

 

“I know I’m probably the last person you want to hear from, but I need a favor.”

 

“A favor?” Now, what makes Soojung think she can just go asking for favors so randomly. They haven’t properly spoken in such a long time. Jinri knows that whatever Soojung asks for. She will agree to it, because this woman still means so much to her, and because Soojung means so much. Jinri is almost helpless in a sense to her, and knows she will be there for Soojung.

 

“Yeah, I’m actually in Seoul right now, and if it’s not too much trouble I need a place to crash for tonight.”

 

This is the favor? Soojung needs somewhere to sleep tonight. Jinri doesn’t understand why she can’t just ask her sister Jessica, or anyone else for this favor. Instead of pointing out the fact that Soojung really could ask anyone to stay the night. The dark-haired woman agrees, if for no reason but she does want to see her. She can’t ever help that she wants to see Soojung.

 

“Do you still have the same place?” Soojung wonders.

 

“Yes, I haven’t moved in the last 6 years, Soojung. I hope you still know the way.”

 

Soojung freezes on the other end of the call. The way Jinri tells her that can be taken in a lot of ways, but she is only taking it in one way, and that’s a reference at the fact that Soojung was the one who left her all those years ago. She left Jinri without much of anything, except for a hastily scribbled letter saying goodbye. Jinri deserved better than that, and Soojung knows that they will certainly talk about this later on, at some point. Soojung thanks her and ends the call. Jinri is angry at herself for saying yes, mostly because she really does miss Soojung. It’s true that the woman had hurt her terribly when she left all those years ago. It just didn’t do anything to stop her feelings, and she couldn’t turn them off. Jung Soojung was the love of her life, and that wouldn’t be going away. Jinri knows they will talk eventually, and she’s not really looking forward to how this talk could go.

 

Instead, the dark-haired woman goes to get the guest room ready for her. She fixes the sheets and blankets, and makes the place more suitable for a guest. It’s been awhile since Jinri has had anyone over. Jinri feels like a bundle of nerves as she waits in the kitchen with a mug of tea. What can she possibly say to the woman who left her years ago? What is she supposed to say to the woman she does still love? Is there anything that can be said, or rather what does Jinri want to say? She doesn’t yet know, perhaps there is no right answer for a situation like this. The dark-haired woman busies herself with anything else as she waits. She washes the dishes, scrolls through social media, and ultimately finds herself on the couch just waiting. It’s the first knock on the door that gets her out of her thoughts. It would be rude to tell Soojung to go now, wouldn’t it? Jinri walks over to the door, her heart pounding loudly in her chest. God, is she really nervous now, and almost doesn’t even want to open the door.

 

“Okay, here goes nothing.” She thinks and opens the door to be met with the woman she has never stopped loving. Soojung stands there in a dark trench coat, denim jeans, and black ankle boots. She looks as if she has just stepped off a runway with clothes from her sister’s clothing line. Her dark brown-hair is straight down her back, and her face. She is still as beautiful as ever, and as beautiful as she always was to Jinri.

 

“Hi.” Soojung speaks first.

 

“Hey.” Jinri nods, and mentally facepalms. After all these years the very first thing she can say to Soojung is hey. Talk about overthinking too much that the words in your brain don’t come out of your mouth. Jinri moves to the side to let her in the apartment. She has the feeling this will be a long night.

 

“Thanks again for letting me stay the night.”

 

“You couldn’t ask anyone else?” Jinri thinks, but doesn’t ask out loud. Instead she offers the slightly shorter woman something to eat or drink. Soojung thanks her, but only takes a cup of tea, saying she’s eaten before the flight landed. There really is a lot of questions Jinri has on her mind. For one, why did Soojung really come back to Seoul? The last she heard the woman was living it up in California where she’s originally from. The other big question is why the hell didn’t Soojung ask anyone else to stay the night with them? Jinri still doesn’t ask. Instead, she just makes the dark-brown haired woman a mug of tea. It’s only when Soojung speaks does she realize where the mug came from.

 

“You still have this.” Soojung mentions thoughtfully to the dark blue mug. It was something Jinri picked up for her when she was buying souvenirs from a trip abroad. Jinri saw the mug and just thought of Soojung, and so she would have it here for her whenever the other woman would come to stay at her apartment.

 

“Yeah, I suppose I do.” The dark-haired woman nods. They sit in silence for a long while after that, and it’s not because neither woman has nothing to say. They both have things to say to one another, and thoughts that should be expressed. It’s just at this time the right words are not coming out. In fact, everything but the right words are coming out.

 

“The place still looks the same.” Soojung mentions as she’s had a moment to look around Jinri’s apartment. It really does look the same overall, except for perhaps a few different couches that she doesn’t remember. There are however, a lot of good memories that they shared here. All the late night conversations they would have here about what they wanted out of their future together, and where they would be in 6 years, together still, that was always the plan. All the fun they had learning how to cook, or trying to learn how to  cook would be more accurate. Then of course the kisses. How could Soojung forget about the kisses. All sorts of kisses, full lip kisses, neck kisses, cheek kisses, the kind of kisses that left her breathless and wanting more, more of Choi Jinri.

 

“I’m not really home a lot to change everything about my apartment.”

 

“Yeah.” Soojung nods. She has been secretly keeping up with Jinri on social media. She knows that she’s been traveling more over the years and seeing new things. Soojung is happy that Jinri seems to be doing so well, but then how well is Jinri really doing? Is she better now that they aren’t together anymore? Soojung knows that she isn’t better, and regrets leaving her in the sudden way she had. Soojung wants to make things right if she can, or at the least she hopes to try.

 

“Well, if you’re ready for bed. I made the guest room up for you.” Jinri changes the subject and tells her to follow her to the guest room. It’s on the way there when Soojung gently reaches out for her arm. Jinri freezes at the familiar touch of her one time lover. How can a simple touch like this make her feel so many things at once. It makes Jinri remember things she doesn’t necessarily want to at this time.

 

“What’s wrong?” The slightly taller woman asks.

 

“I know I shouldn’t ask this of you, considering everything. I just don’t want to sleep alone tonight.”

 

Jinri looks to see that there is sadness in those eyes. Something must be wrong with Soojung, and she doesn’t want to share what. Jinri knows that she can easily decline Soojung this, but no she doesn’t do this. She says fine, and lets her follow her to her bedroom. The same bedroom where they once used to lay in together. Sure, there’s nothing that could possibly go wrong here. Jinri hands her over something to sleep in and turns away from her. She will do this. She can lay in a bed next to Soojung, and be completely fine, won’t she?

 

“Of course I won’t.” Jinri groans and lays down. God, does she hope to get through this night. It’s only one night anyway, and Soojung will be gone from her life again. The dark-haired woman turns on her side in order to not look at Soojung when she returns dressed in the clothes she let her borrow. Soojung gets in bed too, and it’s a big enough bed where there is space. They wouldn’t have to touch one another at all through the night. The dark-brown haired woman thanks her again.

 

“I know I’m asking a lot of you. Thank you for letting me share your bed.”

 

Jinri doesn’t know what to say to that. It’s why she says nothing and closes her eyes to try to sleep. It’s harder than she first anticipated it would be. She’s not seen Soojung in years and yet it feels almost like it always had, with the two of them sharing a bed, outside of the fact that she’s currently turned away from Soojung when she normally would be facing her. There is silence for a long time, but neither of them are sleep. Both women can’t sleep with all the thoughts on their minds. Jinri is hurt and angry, more than that she is confused. Why the hell is Soojung really here, and why the hell did she tell her it was okay for her to be here?

 

“I’m sorry, Jinri.”

 

“What?” The dark-haired woman turns and looks at her so fast. This is unexpected, as she didn’t anticipate for Soojung to talk anymore, and especially she didn’t think to hear her say sorry.

 

“I said I’m sorry.”

 

“What are you apologizing for, Soojung? Are you apologizing for calling me out the blue to ask things of me you shouldn’t have, or is this because you feel bad for leaving in the way you did? I don’t want some weak apology, you’re better than that, Soojung, or at least I hope so.”

 

Jinri’s words hurt her. Yet, Soojung knows she can’t blame her for the reaction. She isn’t exactly being fair here. Soojung knows that she shouldn’t have called Jinri, but it’s always been just so natural to call Jinri first for anything. A part of the dark-brown haired woman was also hoping that they would talk. She supposes they will do so now.

 

“I know I hurt you.”

 

“Oh.” Jinri laughs then, bitterly. “You have no idea how you hurt me, Soojung. I came home to an empty apartment. You left so suddenly and without warning, just some stupid note that didn’t really tell me anything. Why are you really here?”

 

“I came here hoping I could make things right. I never meant to hurt you, Jinri.” She tells her and tries to touch the dark-haired woman. Jinri moves away from her touch, no she doesn’t get to touch her right now.

 

“I shouldn’t have let you come here, but yet like a fool I let you come here, and even worse I am letting you stay here in my bed, when at the most your should be down the hall.”

 

“Have you thought about why, Jinri?” Soojung softly cuts her off. “You didn’t have to answer my call, and you also didn’t have to let me stay here. But look at where we are, we are here in your bed, just like we used to be, and I think it’s because you care about me still, as I care about you. I know I was wrong for what I did, and I know you have no reason to trust me. I do want to make things right with us, Jinri.”

 

The words sound nice, and for a moment Jinri wants to believe her. She wants to believe that Soojung is sorry for hurting her, and is really here to make it right for them. The dark-haired woman doesn’t know if they should try again. It has been such a long time, and they have both changed. Jinri can’t deny that she does love Soojung, that is one thing that hasn’t changed. She doesn’t think that will ever change. Jinri is quiet for a long time, that Soojung sits up more and carefully touches her cheeks. The dark-haired woman hadn’t even realized there were tears. She feels the gentle way Soojung wipes her tears and that feels familiar. Soojung’s hands touching her feels familiar, and that is hard to fully ignore. How can she not remember all the ways they have touched? Jinri pushes her hand away.

 

“Please don’t do that.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Soojung nods. “I know I have a lot to start making up for, Jinri. I just want you to know that I haven’t stopped loving you, not once since I left.”

 

“You have a very stupid way of showing you love me, Soojung.”

 

“I have been pretty stupid, huh.” The slightly shorter woman agrees. She’s done stupid things, and the stupidest by far was leaving Jinri the way she did. Soojung reaches out her hand for Jinri to take. She really hopes that Jinri will take her hand now. The hesitancy on the dark-haired woman’s face is clear.

 

“You are stupid, but maybe so am I for letting you stay here, with me. When you shouldn’t be here, but yet…” Jinri stops. “I would be lying if I said that I don’t still love you, Soojung. I think we both know I do.”

 

When she hears Jinri admit that she still loves her, it makes her feel better. Soojung feels better than she has felt in years since leaving Seoul. It’s not like she expects for everything to be back to normal. The dark-brown haired woman knows that she will have to show Jinri with her actions that she is serious. They settle into a comfortable silence then, and Soojung nervously reaches for her hand under the sheets. Jinri doesn’t reject her hand and finds it. They lay there with hands connected for a long moment before Jinri speaks.

 

“You’re here with me, but please don’t think I’m suddenly going to forgive you, Soojung. You really did hurt me.”

 

“I know, and I am sorry for what I did. I really hope that you will give me the chance to prove myself again. I really want things to work out for us. I know we belong together, Jinri.”

 

Jinri can’t deny that as truth. If she didn’t belong with Jung Soojung then she would have found someone else. She would have been able to stop loving the woman, and move on. Jung Soojung wouldn’t be in her bed with her right now, yet here she is, and they are holding hands, just as they had many times in the past. Jinri doesn’t know what this all means. Maybe it means they can eventually get back to how things were, and find peace again in each other and their relationship, or maybe it means that Soojung needed to apologize for her own self, so that she can move on and be okay again, and leave Jinri to pick up the pieces all over again. Then, what if it doesn’t mean anything at all. There are too many what if’s in this moment, and Jinri is tired of thinking. She doesn’t let go of Soojung’s hand however, and all she can hope for is that Soojung will not let go this time either. Jinri wants to believe that this is a good thing, and perhaps there was a good reason for why she answered that call when she didn’t have to.

 

“Soojung, if I’m going to give you a chance to put this right. I’m going to need you to not let go again. You can’t let go again, because if you do. I won’t be able to just let you back in again.”

 

“I understand. I won’t push you too much, Jinri. I just really want this chance to prove that I love you, and I’m sorry.” The slightly shorter woman pushes her dark locks out of Jinri’s face and smiles softly.

 

“I never forgot my way back home.”

 

It’s the soft way that Soojung says this that really gets to Jinri. She gives her hand a squeeze and nods into the dark.

 

“Home was always here waiting for you, Soojung.”



 

A/N: My first ever Jungli, and I really also wrote this in mind for my amazing, great, wonderful, cool af wife ToAnyone4Ever, who really is the best and I am hopeful you will like this, because I don’t know anyone who loves Jungli as much other than you, so I appreciate the hell out of that. I don’t know I tried lol. Maybe I can try to write more in the future.