final

manager au

it was another day of going through the airport when red velvet finished their concert gig at the japan showcase. there’s no doubt that whenever there is an idol in a public place, the press will be all over them.

numerous camera’s flashing, numerous people yelling, “irene, over here!”, “wendy-ah!”, “yerim!”, “joy please look over here!”, “seulgi-ssi! seulgi-ssi here!”,

​​​​fansites and press alike run ahead of the group to take good pictures of their whole-body profiles, it doesn’t stop but i guess the girls are used to it anyway.

there’s no problem with camera’s flashing and lotta people shouting over one another and running, but its going to be a problem when people practically shove their cameras into the girls’ faces. not only does this action makes the space that they are walking on limited, it also makes them uncomfortable; it is clearly plastered on their faces how uncomfortable they are in the situation that they are in.

as their manager, i always make sure to look on and see what’s best for the members of the famous girl group because that’s my job and i do my job diligently but at the same time be caring for the girls because after all, i can see the sides of them that the public can’t.

as i sense that the situation is getting worse, i decided to step in to stand as a barrier between them and the people crossing their personal space. i squeezed through the crowd and managed to get to wendy who’s just behind the group.

i tapped her shoulder and she turned around to face me with furrowed eyebrows but soon her expression relaxed when she realized it was me. i gave her a reassuring smile and said, “get close to other girls and try to stay together until we get there okay? tell them to do the same. wouldn’t want you to get lost now, would it?” wendy nodded and did as i said.

i felt that the people are now closing in on us fast. the way they push forward just to see the group; its hard not to notice. this is gonna be tough. why isn’t security ing doing something? i looked back to see the girls huddled up together while still walking towards the destination. i put my scary face on, the one where my eyes are cold and expression as hard as a rock, as the girls would say.

“come on people, back up!” my voice loud and demanding over the talking and the shutters of the cameras. i spread my arms over the girls to protect them from the people shoving their cameras to their faces. i looked at them to see if they’re okay and they looked at me to give me a thankful smile. i know the girls don’t like how strangers are invading their personal spaces, its just that they’re too kind for their own good sometimes to tell them off. “it’s gonna be okay, not too far now.” i said to them.

i felt someone reaching over my shoulder with their phone just to get a picture of the girls and i pushed the arm back. “i said, back. up.” i growled at the girl. to my surprise, she backed up but just a little. i guess that’s good enough.

i continued to shield the girls with my arms. “give them some space, please! move!” my deep voice resonated in that tight space and i can feel that some of them were frightened by the way my voice sounded. thankfully, some of them backed up and gave enough space for at least the girls to breathe comfortably in.

 

after a few moments of struggling with the press and many fansites, we finally got out of the airport and in the van. i breathed out a big sigh of relief as that situation earlier was finally dealt with and we were inside with no more people hustling around the girls.

i adjusted the rear-view mirror and turned to them, “all good?” i looked at them and it seems that the tension that was clear on their faces a while ago was now gone.

irene was the first to respond and she nodded. she is the leader of the group after all and she practically speaks on behalf of them. “we’re okay now, manager-nim.” i scoffed at her. “really, irene? are we going with formalities? i thought i said that we are on a first name basis now.” i looked at the other girls. “same goes for all of you.” i smiled at them, they smiled back. im glad that they’re feeling okay now, the situation really made them uncomfortable.

i frowned recalling what happened earlier, “for real though, are you guys alright? i did not appreciate the way those people shove their cameras towards you. fansites or not, they should know how to respect people’s personal space.” i scowled at the car floor because that’s the first thing my eyes laid upon on.

why don’t these people understand that the idols that they look up to are people too? sometimes i don’t understand what goes on with these fans mind. at one they idolize them and at another, they treat them as they’re not people. leaving hate comments everywhere, harassing them with harmful words that could damage a person’s mental well-being.

i felt something soft touch my cheek. i looked up to see joy grinning at me. i blushed and touched the spot where her lips landed on. did she just kiss me on my cheek? my face was a mix of confusion, surprise, conflict because joy just ing kissed me. how the hell do i respond to that?

joy giggled at my reaction. “you were staring too hard at the floor unnie. we’re gonna lose it if you keep staring like that.” my mouth opened and closed, struggling to find something to say. they laughed at me and soon i was greeted with another pair of lips on my cheek followed by another and then another.

i panicked, and my heart started racing with the sudden onslaught of kisses. i stuttered when i found my voice to speak again. “h-hey! what did i just say about invading personal spaces?” i said to them still blushing madly.

irene giggled and said, “it’s the kids’ way of saying thank you and im pretty sure you wouldn’t mind it.” i looked at her incredulously. when did these girls have the courage to do things like this? is this another side to them that im not aware of?

“i-i...” i stuttered yet again. i saw irene leaning towards me and my eyes widen like the size of saucers. soon, i felt her soft lips press against my cheek indicating that she too has taken part of the kisses that the girls have somehow planned against me. this is not good for my heart, i swear to god.

after the kiss, she whispered softly to my ear. “thank you for protecting us.” and leaned back to return to her seat. if i didn’t look like a tomato before i sure am one now. “w-what…” irene laughed behind her hand and the girls followed along to their eldest unnie.

i huffed, not happy (but also very happy) with the way they ganged up on me. “let’s just get you guys home.” i started the engine and drove out of the airport, a mild pink still painting my cheeks, happy that the girls are feeling better and already chatting between themselves as if the incident never happened.