Serendipity

Serendipity

The sun is shining bright today, and it is lucky enough to witness this fateful event. Eunbi stands up, a letter on her hand, and starts approaching the podium. Chaeyeon is confused with the older girl’s movements. Everyone in the crowd watched Eunbi as she reached for the microphone. A chuckle was heard and the guests turned their heads to find Nako whose mouth is covered by Miku’s hand. “Sorry,” Miku bowed in place of her other half. “Nice try, Nako. You’re still smaller than me,” Eunbi said through the mic and everyone laughed. Nako shot her deadly glares at Eunbi but the older girl by showing her tongue.


When the crowd’s laughter had died down, Eunbi cleared and started reading the letter she spent all night to write. “Lee Chaeyeon, my best friend, my partner, my first love,” Eunbi looked at Chaeyeon and the younger girl is staring at her, mouth wide open. The crowd fell silent. At this moment, Eunbi does not care about the audience anymore. Right now, she could only see her and Chaeyeon. She continued, “Never in my life would I have known that I would meet you. It feels surreal to be standing here in front, with you dressed in white, after everything that has happened. To be honest, I could still remember the time when we first met like it was just yesterday,” Eunbi looked back at the paper, trying to control her tears. Suddenly, memories came flooding back.


It was one summer day when Eunbi and Chaeyeon met. It was like a scene from a movie. As cliché as it sounds, they crossed paths when they bumped into each other, falling down and cracking up afterwards. Eunbi, being the kind girl that she is, asked Chaeyeon if she has other plans; to which the younger girl replied no. Eunbi treated Chaeyeon ice cream and this marked the start of their lifelong relationship.


“If everyone that bumped me would treat me ice cream, I’d keep on bumping them. No guilt,” Chaeyeon said which made Eunbi laugh. “That’s not a good thing,” Eunbi shook her head but still kept on laughing. Just like that, they clicked and became connected.


Good things will eventually have an end, though. Eunbi had to go because of her work and Chaeyeon needed to go to school. They walked separate paths until Eunbi turned around and chased Chaeyeon. “Chaeyeon!” Eunbi called out and the younger girl turned her head. Chaeyeon stopped on her tracks for Eunbi to catch up. “I,” Eunbi tried to catch her breath, her hands resting on her knees. This made Chaeyeon smile. “You look silly,” Chaeyeon said and Eunbi stood straight. “Yes, I do and will probably sound like one but I don’t care,” a question mark is visible on Chaeyeon’s face. With that, Eunbi spoke, “I forgot to ask for your number, dummy,” Eunbi scratched her nape and Chaeyeon found it cute. They exchanged numbers and parted ways.


After making sure no tears would drop, Eunbi continued, eyes fixed at Chaeyeon, “That was the best day of my life. Although embarrassing, it was worth it. Of all my encounters, it was you who I met. You were the one fate brought to me, Lee Chaeyeon. I am very much glad that you are a part of my life. From that moment and until the day we seize to see the light of day,” Chaeyeon could not breathe. She is choking up on her emotions but it was not painful. She decided to stop holding back her tears and let them fall. 


Eunbi broke down after seeing Chaeyeon cry. There is no doubt that the two of them are connected; deeper than anyone could imagine. They shared a lot of memories together. They have been there for each other; more than friends could ever be, more than lovers could dream to be. “Hey, do you still remember the first performance we did together? I thought I was the worst leader but you cheered me up,” Eunbi smiled, tears still trickling down. Chaeyeon smiled too as the memory is still vivid.


The team just finished performing on stage and everyone was feeling down; especially Sakura who received the most comments. Eunbi is silently blaming herself because she is the leader but she was incompetent which led her team to be criticized. She had her head down and felt a warm hand hold hers. When she looked up, it was Chaeyeon. “Mistakes don’t define us. They become lessons. We learn from them, don’t let those get to you so much,” Chaeyeon said, her hand still firmly gripping Eunbi’s. The whole team nodded their head. Eunbi hugged Chaeyeon and whispered, “Thank you”. The younger girl hugged her back, without saying anything. They stayed like that for a few minutes until Choyeon cleared , “We get that you are love birds but we still have a performance to slay,” she said which earned laughter from the members.


They performed flawlessly but the other team earned the crowd’s hearts more. They did not have regrets. They knew that they all enjoyed being on stage and that is all that matters. After the performance,  Eunbi and Chaeyeon went home together. “You really want to go home already?” Chaeyeon asked and Eunbi stopped walking. “Honestly, no,” Eunbi answered and Chaeyeon grinned. “Come,” Chaeyeon pulled Eunbi’s hand and the latter let the younger girl drag her. Wherever they are going, as long as she’s with Chaeyeon, she knows she’ll be okay. 


It was a long distance to run but it was worth it. Chaeyeon brought Eunbi on top of a hill, overlooking the city. The lights from the skyscrapers and houses were bright and Eunbi was in awe. “Look up,” it did not bother Eunbi that she suddenly felt Chaeyeon’s breath in her ear. It was her habit and would always bring chills down Eunbi’s spine. She did was she was told and was left open. “It’s beautiful, Chaeyeon,” Eunbi said while admiring the star studded sky. “You’re more than that, Eunbi. Believe me,” Chaeyeon said and hugged Eunbi from behind. Eunbi placed her hands on top of Chaeyeon’s and leaned her head. Chaeyeon buried her face in Eunbi’s neck. They both felt comfortable and secure in each other’s arms. Whatever happens, they know they can overcome it together.


“I have a confession,” Eunbi said under her breath. “Hmm?” Chaeyeon breathed on Eunbi’s neck. The older girl chuckled, “That tickles, Chaeyeon,” the younger girl did not respond, instead, started blowing air until Eunbi fell down backwards, Chaeyeon now under Eunbi’s back. The younger girl held the older girl tighter and continued to tickle her. Eunbi, on the other hand, started crying while laughing. Chaeyeon stopped when she saw Eunbi’s tears. She sat up and hugged Eunbi tight. “I’m sorry. I went too far,” Chaeyeon was so precious, Eunbi hugged her back and told her she wasn’t hurt. “You make me happy, Chaeyeon. I cried because you make me too happy,” Eunbi told Chaeyeon while caressing the latter’s soft locks. “But I hate seeing you cry,” Chaeyeon said pulling away from the hug just to see Eunbi’s face. Eunbi smiled, “Don’t hate seeing me cry because of happiness, Chaeyeon. Hate it when I cry because I am hurting,” Eunbi cupped Chaeyeon’s face. The two just stared at each other. Their faces slowly closing the gap in between. It was their first.


Eunbi and Chaeyeon were pulled back to reality when someone from the crowd shouted, “Stop being such an ideal couple,” everyone looked at the direction of the voice and they saw Aoi. Sakura walked towards her to shut her up. Sakura had a hard time stopping her best friend but they both came to terms. “Thank you, Sakura,” Eunbi smiled and received another smile back. “As I was saying, Chaeyeon and I shared a lot of firsts,” another chuckle was heard from the audience. “Choi Yena, clean thoughts only please,” Eunbi said into the mic and everyone started laughing again. Yena stood up, ready to attack Eunbi, when Yuri pulled her back down. Eunbi mouthed thank you to Yuri and Yena had no other choice but sit quietly. “Sorry for that. Well, I prepared this letter but all I said so far was not even part of this. I actually prepared this because I was so sure I wouldn’t be able to talk once I’m standing in front of everyone but I was wrong,” Eunbi went down the podium, the mic and letter in her hand, and started approaching Chaeyeon. “Lee Chaeyeon. Our lives were like that of a movie. A cliché romantic plot: strangers turned lovers. You are an amazing person. Never forget how talented you are; and if you do, I’d be more than glad to be the one who would remind you,” Eunbi stopped in front of Chaeyeon, who stood up to hug the older girl. It felt like it was only the two of them again. The guests stared at them; no one dared to speak nor react. And the two were taken back to the time where their relationship got challenged the most.


Things were going well for Eunbi and Chaeyeon until the latter had to move to another team for this crucial performance. Eunbi comforted Chaeyeon but it felt like it was not enough. They both lost time for each other due to their busy schedules. They had to practice most of the time to make sure they don’t make any mistakes in the performance. 


During practice, Eunbi occasionally checks her phone for messages; Chaeyeon used to send her random messages just to cheer her up. This time, though, she received nothing. “Eunbi, let’s do it again from the start,” called Sihyun. Eunbi stood up and went to her position. They kept practicing until it was dark. Everyone left quickly saying they had other errands to do. Eunbi thought she was left alone in the practice room when she heard someone talk, “I saw that you kept on looking at your phone. Any problem?” it was Sian, her other member. “Nothing. Chaeyeon used to text me but I think she’s also busy with practice,” Eunbi said, still looking at her phone. “Probably. If you like I can-“ Sian was not able to continue what she was about to say because Eunbi’s phone rang and she answered it fast. “Hey, I thought you wouldn’t talk to me today,” Eunbi said, a smile plastered on her face. Sian figured it must be Chaeyeon and just stood there quietly. “Oh, you’ll be eating out with your team? Okay… Yeah… No, I’m fine. Yes, Sian’s here,” Eunbi turned to Sian and gave her a small smile. “Sure. Take care, okay? I love you,” Eunbi said before putting down her phone. “I guess you’re stuck with me?” Sian mockingly smiled and Eunbi hit her shoulder. “I know I shouldn’t in but I can’t help but be curious,” Sian eyed Eunbi and the latter gestured for her to go on, “What happened between you and Chaeyeon? The two of you are suddenly distant,” and Eunbi realized something. She did not notice until Sian told her. It is true; she and Chaeyeon have been growing distant and she could not pinpoint where it began until this one moment crossed her mind.


“It can’t be,” Eunbi told herself. Sian stopped and asked, “What?” Eunbi looked at her, “Chaeyeon isn’t narrow-minded so I don’t think it’s that,” Eunbi said, panic is written all over her face, “What’s that?” Sian asked, confused. Eunbi’s eyes darted from left to right, obviously uneasy. “Calm down. Hey, I’m here,” Sian put her hands on Eunbi’s shoulder. “Breathe,” Sian breathed in and out; Eunbi followed until she felt calm. “Now, what were you thinking?” Sian said, looking straight into Eunbi’s eyes to comfort her. “When we performed last time, I got praised and Chaeyeon got kind of pushed aside. We talked after that but it didn’t last long because she said she wasn’t feeling well and went home early,” Eunbi said, tears streaming down her face. “Have you talked about that again?” Sian asked and Eunbi shook her head no, “Her confidence has been falling since then. I wanted to help her and lift up her mood but she acts cold. Recently, she snapped because I kept on forcing her to open up. I know it was my fault that’s why I didn’t bother her since,” Eunbi was stuttering as she retold what had happened between them. “I need to talk to her,” Eunbi said as she took her phone and dialed Chaeyeon’s number. It took a while before the younger girl answered but when she did, Eunbi spoke immediately, “Let’s talk. Meet me at our place where the lights shine the brightest,” and she ended it before Chaeyeon could object. Eunbi ran out, and Sian was left there, alone.


Eunbi told herself that she would not leave unless Chaeyeon shows up. She would stay there until they could talk and clear things out. She waited. It has been an hour but she still waited. Another hour has passed, she just sat and continued to wait. “Hey,” then Chaeyeon showed up. Eunbi looked at her and tapped the grass beside her for Chaeyeon to sit, which the latter did. “Sorry, we were in the middle of the dinner earlier and I couldn’t leave. How long have you been here?” Chaeyeon asked, her eyes fixed on the city lights. Eunbi was about to answer when she suddenly sneezed, Chaeyeon was alarmed. “Oh no! Did you wait for too long? I’m sorry. I’m so sorry,” Chaeyeon wrapped her arms around Eunbi to give her warmth. Eunbi closed her eyes and she appreciated this gesture; although she knows that it might be the last time. As tears fell down, Eunbi started, “Chaeyeon, what happened to us? What are we currently?” and she felt Chaeyeon’s grip tighten. “You said you hate it when you see me crying, right? I’m hurting,” Eunbi sobbed and Chaeyeon pulled her closer. Chaeyeon could not find the right words. She, too, does not know what happened. “I don’t know. I’m sorry,” Chaeyeon apologizes yet again and Eunbi bit her lower lip. “Do you still love me?” Eunbi asked despite fearing what Chaeyeon would say. “Of course, I do. My feelings never changed,” Eunbi felt reassured but not contented. “Then answer my question. How did we end up like this?” 


Silence. Chaeyeon thought deeply. Eunbi was about to pull away, to show that she is now on the edge of her breaking point when Chaeyeon just pulled her closer and talked, “I don’t know the answer. I just know that I love you,” Chaeyeon kissed the crown of Eunbi’s head. “Were you mad at me? Did you feel like I did not deserve the praise?” Eunbi just needs answers. “No. I was just disappointed at my self. You deserve the praises. You worked hard for them,” Chaeyeon closed her eyes, trying to trap the tears in her eyes. “If this relationship is going nowhere, let’s end it,” Eunbi suggested and Chaeyeon’s hug became tighter, suddenly both of them are crying. “Why?” is the only thing that came out of Chaeyeon’s mouth. Eunbi held Chaeyeon’s hand, “Let’s call it off for now. We need to grow, Chaeyeon. It’s been toxic to the both of us. This is not healthy anymore,” Chaeyeon did not talk. Eunbi sat up, cupping the younger girl’s face to make it face her, “Listen. I’m breaking up not because I don’t love you anymore but because I love you so much that I couldn’t bear seeing you lose yourself,” they stared at each other. Both of them were crying silently. Chaeyeon was lost and her tears just kept coming. Eunbi leaned in to kiss Chaeyeon. It was their last.


“Fast forward to two years after, I am now in front of all of our friends, messing up this wedding,” Eunbi laughed nervously. She straightened the paper and cleared , “To Lee Chaeyeon, who once meant the world to me, we have been through a lot since the day we met. You’ve seen me at my best and stayed there at my worst. I’ve seen you fall down but was also there to pick you up. We have a lot of things in common and that made our relationship more wonderful. I was amazed at how I kept on learning new things about you as we progressed in our relationship. You and I were a perfect couple in the eyes of our friends. We were met with judging eyes but we wouldn’t mind them because we were happy. Thank you for making me feel loved and giving me the chance to love,” Eunbi paused as she wiped her tears since they are making the paper wet. “You mean a lot to me, Lee Chaeyeon. I would gladly spend the rest of my life with you. I am ready to face every challenge with you; while holding your hand. Your arms give me comfort; they’re my home, where I belong. When I rest, I want to be held by you; only then will I not fear oblivion. I love you, Chaeyeon,” Eunbi stopped when she saw Chaeyeon fall down to her seat. Chaeyeon’s knees felt weak; her emotions started taking over. “On this day, vows are to be read. The promise of being there for someone through thick and thin, for richer or for poorer, until death do you part; I am happy to be a witness. I am proud that you have grown to the woman you have become. You are no longer that bright girl who keeps things to herself. You have matured and same goes for me, too,” Eunbi’s eyes scanned the crowd until it found the person she was looking for, “I am happy that you finally found a person who would spend the rest of their life with you. Someone who would be your other half; who would be there when I couldn’t. I know Sakura would love you more than I did. I could not trust any other person to be your wife other than her,” Eunbi laughed to release the tension and smiled, “I am relieved that you are really doing okay despite what has happened in the past. Don’t worry about me; Sian is taking good care of me. We both have found good people and I now know the reason why we crossed paths. Our break up led me to Sian while it led you to Sakura. We got hurt but found serendipity. From the start, we were star-crossed lovers; like Romeo and Juliet. Our tragedy is not dying together but reviving our lost feelings into friendship. First loves aren’t always the last. I’m glad that you were once mine and I was once yours. We aren’t each other’s mistake but we sure did learn a lot,” Eunbi sighed, her hands are shaking, tears about to fall again, she reads, “The first line was a lie, it should go like this: To Lee Chaeyeon, who still means the world to me, we may not end up together in this lifetime but deep in my heart, I know we are soulmates and in one universe or another, we lived happily together while our partners found their own love. For some, this may not seem a happy ending but for me, it is. Happy endings don’t need to end with a happily ever after, the protagonists marrying and starting a family; instead, they could just live contented with what they have and who they ended up with. Wishing you all the best, my platonic soulmate. You deserve to be happy,” Eunbi put the letter down and faced the audience, “To everyone here, it is embarrassing for me to admit my feelings to my ex, especially on her wedding, in front of her wife-to-be. Hey, Sakura, I am not trying to win Chaeyeon back, I have Sian and I am happy to be with her. What happened to me and Chaeyeon were all in the past. It was a wonderful experience in the form of a wild roller coaster ride. Thank you for listening to my Ted talk,” Eunbi bowed and was met with applause. Everyone stood up as they cheered.


Chaeyeon approached Eunbi, “I hate you,” Chaeyeon snarled but she still hugged Eunbi. No words were needed to explain what the two felt for each other. Sure, there was something but it wasn’t too deep to be like what they are feeling for their current lovers. They were each other’s phase; what they needed to go through in order to grow and be better people.