Prologue

Finding The Princes

 

“So you want me to find nine princes?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“With no information, other than where you left them when they were kids?” 

 

“Yes.”

 

“Are you out of your mind?” I question the old lady standing in front of me. She doesn’t answer placing the folded sheet of paper into my hands. 

 

“I trust in your ability to find them. If anyone can do it, it’s you.” She speaks, her words leaving quietly and elegantly. 

 

“This is what you’ve trained for your entire life.” She adds and I nod, my lips pursed as I look down the folded piece of paper. 

 

“So I have this map, how do I know it’s them?” I question and the woman takes my words with clear excitement as she spins around towards the old table in the corner of the room, pulling out yet another sheet of paper. 

 

“This has a drawing of each birthmark the prince may conceal, it was also recorded in what area the birthmarks are so it makes it a slight bit easier to spot.” She hands me the new piece of paper with a tight smile. 

 

“The world needs the princes back and unfortunately you’re the only one who can find them, or I wouldn’t be sending you.” Her words seem bitter as she continues to smile at me lightly. 

 

“You must go before nightfall. Things will become more difficult after the light is gone.” She explains motioning to the knapsack, before letting out two long whistles. 

 

“And take Griffon, he’ll be a great help.” She says the large black owl flying to the window of the hut, with a small chirp. I nod walking over to the bird who happily climbs on to shoulder.

 

“I’ll miss you Mae.” 

 

“I’ll miss you too, mum.” I hum, giving her one last smile before walking out of the run down hut the two sheet of paper gripped tightly in my hand. Once I was out of sight of the hut I opened the map looking down at the black stars drawn onto certain spots on the map.

 

“So they’re all over the place. One near the ocean, five up the mountains and three around the forest, this is going to be super easy.” I speak to griffon the sarcasm dripping from my skin. 

 

“Griffon, how the hell am I supposed to find nine princes, who have been hiding since they were children and would probably never believe me if I told them the world need them. This is ridiculous.” I rant to the bird perched on my shoulder, who screeches slightly and nips my ear in protest. 

 

“Hey, that was uncalled for. Besides I’m going to be the one feeding you for a while so you should probably be nicer to me.” I hiss at the bird who continues to screech as I put the map into my knapsack, before hopping to the ground and snatching the map out of my hand. Before standing on the left side of the map. 

 

“You think we should head there first?” I question and he begins chirping in agreement.

 

“Fine. If you want it that way.”