Ranunculus

Ranunculus

Min Yoongi set up his equipment, glancing around at the bustling marketplace with a contented air. He’d moved here a few weeks ago and researched all the best tourist areas so he’d be able to successfully pull this off. He was sure that this was the perfect spot for busking. There were tons of cute little shops and people everywhere. There were sure to be plenty of ers willing to part with their money while he messes around on his keyboard. He mentally pats himself on the back for being a genius. 

A couple of hours later is when the lunch rush begins, and sure enough, Yoongi draws in quite a crowd. Many have scooted their tables and chairs over to better hear him while they eat and Yoongi is happy that the bucket he’d set up was slowly filling with enough money to keep him happy and fed for a while. He hadn’t even been playing anything special, just playing whatever melody came to his head, but they all seemed to enjoy it anyway. 

Yoongi is mindlessly looking around while he plays, eyes flittering from person to person and thinking about what he wants to have for dinner. Suddenly, a flash of bright red catches his eye, and he realizes it's someone's hair, and they are moving closer to him through the crowd.

Yoongi follows their journey to the front since it's the most mildly interesting thing that he's seen today. He's just curious about the person that would try to pull off such a bright color. The head finally cuts through to the front and Yoongi misses a note he's so stunned.

The man is glorious. Yoongi can't think of another time when he'd ever used that word seriously, but it fits so well. The bright hair color looks surprisingly attractive on him, and he was watching him with sparkling eyes and a broad smile that rivaled the sun in brilliance.

Yoongi thought he was possibly the most beautiful man he'd ever seen. He noticed that the apron he wore had the logo of the local flower shop on it, and Yoongi thought that made total sense. The man was a flower himself.

Yoongi hadn't realized that his thoughts were being transferred into his fingers, the tempo speeding up as he filtered every emotion he was feeling through them. The crowd was growing excited, but all that mattered to Yoongi was the admiring gaze of the florist.

Soon his fingers stilled over the keys, too lost in thought to continue the song. The audience, not knowing any better, assumed he was done and clapped heartily. Yoongi observed the florist as he too clapped gleefully and threw a twenty dollar bill into Yoongi's bucket.

"Wow, that was amazing! You're so good!" The florist exclaimed. Yoongi thought it was unfair that even his voice was attractive. He was loud, but the tone was honey rich and slightly raspy. Yoongi wanted to hear him sing.

He was too intimidated to try to talk to the man, so he merely nodded in acknowledgment and proceeded to pack up his equipment. He cursed his inability to converse like a normal human being, but the florist didn't seem to mind. Just hummed and watched Yoongi pack up.

"Are you going to be here tomorrow?" The florist asked, a mischievous glint in his eye that Yoongi was both frightened and intrigued by. 

"Err, yeah. Probably." Yoongi mumbled, trying to hide the blush he knew was showing on his face.

"Great! I want to see you play again. You're terrific, you know. You should be a professional!" Yoongi couldn't quite stop the little smile he got listening to the man praising him. 

"Thank you," he says quietly, as he finishes packing up his stuff.

"Well, I've neglected my shop long enough. Its amazing Seokjin hyung hasn't yelled for me. See you later!" The florist tells Yoongi with a chuckle like he assumes Yoongi would even know who this Seokjin person is. He saunters off with a little whistle.

Yoongi watches him leave wistfully, knowing that he'd blown a perfect chance. It's not until the florist enters his shop and closes the door behind him that Yoongi realizes that he didn't even know the guy's name.

Yoongi has two choices right now. He could either wait until tomorrow, so he didn't come off as needy and desperate. Maybe wow the florist with some more music. Or, he could go straight to the florist's shop and hope he comes up with something smooth to say on the way.

Yoongi puts all of his equipment away in his car while he argues with himself. Finally, he takes a deep breath and stares at the outside of the flower shop. He's going to do it. He's going to run in there and bravely talk to the guy.

Yoongi enters the shop in a haze, barely registering the ringing of the bell above the door or whether or not there was anyone else in the shop. All he saw was the beautiful florist manning the counter, humming to himself as he cut stems.

"Good afternoon! Welcome to Hopeful Hearts Flower Shop. How may I help y...OH, it's You! HI!" The florist glanced up at Yoongi with a surprised grin. "Didn't get enough of me yet, huh?" He smirked, before falling into laughter. "I'm just kidding. Your face is so red!"

Yoongi gives a huff of fake laughter, too embarrassed to respond. "So what did you need today?" The florist smiles gently at Yoongi as he makes his way around the counter to stand next to him. 

"I'm...uh...not sure?" Yoongi responds, mentally berating himself for chickening out.

He does at least take the close proximity as a chance to look at the man's nametag. Jung Hoseok, Owner.

"Well, what's their favorite flower? We can start there and figure something out." Hoseok asks, and Yoongi finds himself in another corner. 

"I'm not sure about that either. Uh...what's yours?" Yoongi thinks that's pretty smooth.

"Oh, I like a lot! Florist, you know. I guess my absolute favorite is the ranunculus. I like flowers that are bright like the sun. Most people think of sunflowers, but for me, ranunculus just POP. Big full blooms, bright colors."

"Plus, you know about flower language, right? It means that you find someone charming and attractive. The perfect flower to give someone when you have a crush." Hoseok explained with a ridiculous eyebrow waggle. Yoongi snorted to keep his cool front but was intrigued.

"I'll take two of those then. The yellow ones." Yoongi chewed his lip as he watched Hoseok pick them out. 

"Do you want a ribbon or something?" Hoseok asked as he brought them to the front register, waving Yoongi over.

"No, thank you." Yoongi hands Hoseok the money and picks up just one of the flowers that he'd paid for, leaving the other on the counter. He starts to say something then snaps his jaw shut. He can't do it today.

Yoongi looks at the flower still on the counter and blushes as he makes eye contact with Hoseok, who is watching him with what appeared to be a knowing grin.

 "See you later." He mutters quietly then speed walks right out of the flower shop.

Later that night, Yoongi puts his lone ranunculus flower into a plastic cup he had left over from a kid's meal. He places it on his nightstand and smiles softly as the smell reminds him of the shop. As he falls asleep, he promises himself to try again tomorrow.


The next day Yoongi sets up in the same spot, scanning the crowd every moment for a glimpse of Hoseok. He's disappointed when the lunch rush comes and goes, and there's no sign of him. However, he notices the long line at the shop and hopes it's just that he couldn't get away

Yoongi decides it totally wouldn't come off as desperate if he stopped by. He was only concerned because Hoseok said he'd be there, right? Yoongi packs up for the day and wanders over to the shop, hyping himself up before heading inside.

He soon learned that the shop was crowded because they were offering a special deal of a free cookie with every purchase. Yoongi didn't get what the big deal was about just one single cookie, but he had to admit it was smart considering the business it brought in.

"I don't even have any reason to buy flowers. I'm just dying to get another one of Seokjin's cookies!" A voice next to him said.

Her friend answered, "I don't even need a cookie or flowers. I just want to see Seokjin." They all gave a dreamy sigh and giggled.

Again with that name, Yoongi thought to himself. He scanned the shop for Hoseok, finally finding him helping an older man with some roses. Yoongi smoothly made his way towards him and waited quietly until he was finished.

Hoseok ushered the man towards the counter that was being run by an attractive guy with a big boxy grin. Yoongi cleared his throat to call attention to him, and Hoseok turned his way. 

"How can...OH, you're back again! How are you today?" Hoseok asked with a huge smile.

"I'm...good. Thank you. I just came...to see what all the fuss was about over here?" Yoongi thought that sounded plausible.

Hoseok smirked at him, "Ah, that's too bad. I thought it was because you'd missed me. Oh well." Yoongi coughed, choking a bit in shock.

Hoseok seemed to decide to take mercy on him because he gestured to the flower display. 

"What will it be today?" Yoongi wondered if it was mere coincidence that Hoseok's hands were almost reaching for the ranunculus already.

"Two ranunculus flowers, please." His eyes flick up to Hoseok's hair then back down to the flowers. "The red ones." Hoseok smiles in acknowledgment and grabs the ordered flowers, ushering Yoongi to the counter.

Hoseok pats the other worker on the shoulder, moving him away from the register. 

"I got this one, Tae," he says, placing the flowers on the counter. Yoongi is grabbing his wallet when he notices it. A little glass vase next to the register with a lone ranunculus flower in it.

He was pretty sure it was the yellow one he'd left for Hoseok the day before. He glances up and finds Hoseok already watching him with a shy smile. Yoongi blushes and hands Hoseok the money, wanting to hurry and run away to squeal in the privacy of his car.

Yoongi grabs a single flower and steps back from the counter when Hoseok suddenly yells, "WAIT!" Yoongi freezes and looks at Hoseok, who is shoving a plastic wrapped cookie in front of his face."Free cookie with every purchase today!"

Yoongi reaches out to grab it, but Hoseok pulls it back. Yoongi raises an eyebrow at him, and Hoseok is practically giggling."I'll give you this cookie if...you tell me your name." 

Yoongi quietly chuckles. "I thought it was free? Pretty sure I can sue you for false advertisement."

Hoseok pouts, and Yoongi thinks his heart shaped lips are the cutest thing in existence. He sighs deeply like Hoseok is asking him to do something incredibly burdensome. 

"Min Yoongi." Hoseok's bright smile is back, and his eyes are practically sparkling like an anime character.

"It's nice to officially meet you, Min Yoongi. I'm Jung Hoseok." Yoongi barely bit back the I know he'd nearly responded with. 

Instead, he mumbled, "I have to get going," and slid the second flower towards Hoseok. He accepted the cookie with a blush and rushed towards the exit.

"BYE YOONGI! SEE YOU TOMORROW!" Hoseok screeched.

Yoongi thought he must have it really bad for someone that loud to not bother him. Instead, he thought it was cute. He glanced back one last time to see Hoseok put the red flower in the vase next to the register, smiling.


Yoongi kept this up for an entire week, only missing one day because Hoseok was off. He'd buy two flowers, place one in Hoseok's vase with a shy grin and leave. Sometimes Hoseok would come watch him play, sometimes Yoongi would say something more than hello.

He could tell that Hoseok was waiting for him to say something more, with his ridiculous smirks and winks every time Yoongi gave him a flower. Or maybe Yoongi just saw what he wanted to see?

Either way, he was going to ask Hoseok if he wanted to go out today. He could do this. He was a badass. Yoongi squared his shoulders and strutted into the flower shop with the best confident swagger he could try to pull off.

As soon as he spotted Hoseok, he felt the usual burst of nausea, although his roommate Namjoon told him those were called butterflies. Whatever they were, Hoseok glowed as usual, and Yoongi took one step towards him, determined to make him his.

That was, until a tall man with shoulders as broad as a damn house came up behind Hoseok and wrapped him in a damn back hug, pressing a kiss on Hoseok's cheek with big pouty lips that Yoongi wanted to punch.

Yoongi started backing away, but not before Hoseok looked up and saw him. 

"Yoongi! Hey!" Hoseok grinned and pried himself away from the guy holding him, walking around the counter. Yoongi clenched his fist and ran. Just ing ran.

He vowed to never go there again. He'd made a fool of himself for an entire week. Of course someone like Hoseok would be taken. Especially taken by someone that looked like a damn model.


Yoongi managed to make good on his vow for three whole days before he realized he needed the money that he made busking because if he had to eat ramen one more day he was going to scream.

Yoongi promised himself he was just going to stay for the lunch rush and then leave. He let his fingers do their own thing, mindlessly playing while he thought of nothing and everything.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a flash of yellow flying straight for his tip bucket. He glanced at it, getting ready to yell at whoever was using it as a trash can when he saw it was a flower. A lone yellow ranunculus.

"You haven't been by the shop in a few days. I missed you." Yoongi shot his head up to stare at Hoseok. Yoongi thought he looked a bit sad, and he was both upset with himself for causing it and happy because that meant Hoseok cared a little.

"I'm sorry," Yoongi whispered. "I thought...I figured your boyfriend wouldn't like me hanging around that much. Thought maybe I was being creepy."

Hoseok glanced at him curiously. "Boyfriend?"

"Tall, looks like an actor, shoulders so wide he probably has to walk through doors sideways, was hugging and kissing you." Yoongi cocked an eyebrow at him as Hoseok began laughing so loud Yoongi thought he was going to break something in his neck.

"Seokjin hyung?! OMG, is that what this is about?" Hoseok laughed and reached out to grab Yoongi's hand and pull him closer.

"He's not my boyfriend. He's just my friend and coworker, and he kisses everyone like it’s his gift to the world. Wow, it sounds like you were jealous. Someone would think you like me if you act like that."

"Shut up." Yoongi blushed as Hoseok continued smirking down at him.

"Yoongi, do you remember what I said about those flowers?" Hoseok asked, gesturing towards the flower in the tip bucket.

"Yeah. They mean you find someone charming and attractive." Yoongi quoted.

Hoseok lifted an eyebrow. "And?" 

Yoongi looked at him in confusion for a moment before he remembered. He cleared his throat and recited, "And they are the perfect flower to give a crush."

"Exactly." Hoseok grinned. "So, by that logic and the fact that I just gave you one knowing full well what it meant, what do you think that means?"

Yoongi could feel the familiar nausea/butterflies bubbling up. "That you...like me?"

"Yup. I don't have a boyfriend. Yet." Hoseok giggled, and Yoongi wanted to die from the cuteness. "So, Yoongi would you..." Yoongi slapped his hand over Hoseok's mouth. 

"No, shut up. Let me." Yoongi worried he might have pissed him off until he saw Hoseok's still laughing eyes.

"Hoseok, can I take you out...like right now?" Yoongi stuttered, trying to convey every feeling with his eyes that couldn't reach his lips. 

Hoseok smiled softly, a single little dimple poking out. "I'd love to."

Yoongi bravely held out his hand and felt like he'd won the greatest prize on the planet when Hoseok laced his fingers with his. He tugged him off towards the direction of a nearby cafe when he suddenly remembered.

"I was supposed to meet my roommate here. I can tell him to get lost if you want." Yoongi told Hoseok as they neared the building. 

Hoseok hummed, "Is it the tall one on the table outside waving like a lunatic?"

"That's the one." Yoongi chuckled.

"Send him to the flower shop. Tell him to say Hoseok sent him, and Seokjin will know what I'm talking about. He's totally hyung's type."

"If you say so." Yoongi grinned and did as he was told, sending the poor confused Namjoon off to the flower shop. 

When Namjoon was out of sight, Hoseok pulled Yoongi closer. "Now that I have you all to myself, I'm going to kiss you and never stop. Ok?"

Yoongi smiled, contentment and happiness filling his poor black heart. "I'm alright with that."