Final

The Confetti Fairy

 

 

The front door clicked open unfortunate for Jinki who was hoping not to make the least sound while getting inside the house. Jonghyun said that no one was home except for his brother who was also Jinki's best friend. So he just didn't wanted to look like a thief robbing houses in the daylight even though his brain was shouting that he exactly looked like one. He quickly sneaked inside and closed the door behind him making sure not to make any other sound. 

He tiptoed to the living room, up the long staircase and made his way through the small hall leading to the one room he visited almost everyday. The things roaming inside his mind made him chuckle a little and he hoped that wasn't loud. Jinki loves surprises. 

When he was outside the door to the room he released the breath he was holding for a couple of seconds and slowly held the door handle and turned it praying it won't be loud enough to make the person inside aware of his presence. He opened the door a bit enough for his eyes to wonder inside.

A young boy was busily engaged in his process of tapping on the keys of the laptop on his table and it looked like the keys will break any second because Jinki knew how often he used it. He was wearing his usual reading glasses and was surrounded by hundreds of papers. Jinki knew his friend was millions of times tidier than him so he guessed he was there all through the night doing his work load.

Although Jinki could only see the boy's side view he was sure as hell that he was extremely tired. The rising urge to run to him and give a quick kiss on the lips to wipe away all that exhaustion frightened him to death as he's not supposed to think that way for his best friend.

The conflicting thoughts struggling him made way for him to watch the boy for a whole three minutes of time but he didn't care a bit. He felt contented with only to look at him from a distance. He thought he was.

 

"When are you going planning to come in?"

 

His dreamland was crushed into pieces and the surprise attack he was planning the entire time broke down when he heard that familiar voice. Jinki was more than sure the boy didn't even flinch when he opened the door.

 

"Kibum I'm asking for the sixteenth time this month, have you got some extra eyes anywhere cause this is impossible"

 

He got inside the room and made his way to the bed beside the table the other boy was working.

 

"No but I've got ears younggam. Ears"

 

You clumsy idiot! Jinki jumped on the bed making his self comfortable on the soft blanket and tried to find some traces of Kibum's scent that he loved so much.

 

"Will you ever stop calling me by that stupid name"

 

That was the name Kibum almost always used to call him since the day Jinki told that he won't be able to meet up with him after their school's sports day saying that he can't move a single inch of his body. Lee Jinki really is an old man.

 

"You're getting old and you're a man aren't you?"

 

Jinki almost blushed at his friend's words.

 

"Anyways are you done with your report?"

 

The older boy had to spend three sleepless nights to finish his final report of his project so that he could impress his professor as always. Even the memory of those days made Jinki determine not to waste his time again playing video games. He really missed his chicken buckets during that time.

 

"Yeah. What about you?"

 

Kibum was still concentrating on his typing.

 

"Not everyone is smart Jinki"

 

Kibum's professor was famous for being strict with his students and their work. So he had to take extra care on the report double checking every design to make everything perfect or atleast nearly perfect. That was a lot of work. Both of the boys knew it. Jinki wished he could give a big hug to the younger one cause it's not his fault for the deadline to be too much earlier than any other department because the professor just felt like he should get all the reports to his hand as soon as possible. Jinki could only wish.

 

"You still got two more days, right?"

 

The younger boy stopped with the typing and heaved a long sigh.

 

"Two more nights without any sleep"

 

"Hey, cheer up. It's free time after that. And remember you're turning twenty one in five days"

 

Glady it lightened up Kibum's mood and the smile Jinki wanted to see until forever appeared on his face brightening the older one's world for the day. The very reason why Jinki's visiting Kibum's place despite the busyness of his own life.

 

"I thought you've forgotten"

 

How can he forget when he has simply memorized it and has kept reminders for an entire week. Even if Jinki forgets his own name he would never forget Kibum's birthday.

 

"Nah. I just saw it in your calender. See in bright red it says 'The day I landed on Earth' "

 

He laughed out loudly and was ready for the glare he would recieve whenever he tease Kibum.

 

"I hate you"

 

But I love you.

 

"I need a big party Kim Kibum. You're reaching my age. Finally!"

 

Kibum rolled his eyes. The truth is always bitter. He hated the idea of ageing.

 

"Ok. But an eye to an eye. I need a gift. A big one younggam"

 

Jinki chuckled a bit. He had already planned something. Something very big.

 

--------------

 

"Did you do it?"

Jinki finally came downstairs with a big smile after spending three happy hours with Kibum. Jonghyun had already come home and the entire time he was curious about the same thing he had in his mind since the day he accidently read Jinki's diary. Yes he invaded the older one's privacy but it turned out to be a relief for Jinki afterwards even though he didn't talk with Jonghyun for two whole weeks. He just wasn't good at hiding his cheesy smile from Kibum's own brother when he talked about the younger one.

 

"What?"

 

"Not even today?"

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

Although Jinki knew what exactly Jonghyun was talking about like everytime he was embarrassed to talk anything about that topic with him. Jinki was a shy boy but it wasn't good for his health.

 

"You know what I'm talking about Jinki"

 

He had to surrender. They say twins are alike in appearance but these twins are not the same in appearance but with thoughts. The sneaky and hard-to-catch ones.

 

"It's not that easy as you think Jonghyun"

 

"What the hell Lee Jinki. It's been a year already. When are you going to confess him?"

 

The older one couldn't stop blushing at the word 'confess'. Every night he dreamed of sitting beside Kibum, his hand over the younger one's and tell him how much he likes him. Well that was only in his dreams. He wasn't sure if it could ever become the reality.

 

"I don't know dude. I'm not ready yet"

 

"You're going to use that excuse forever. I warn you. Do it before that mango make a step"

 

Even the very thought of that blood boiling idea scared Jinki giving him nightmares. Choi Minho can never become his Kibum's boyfriend until the day he lives on Earth. If he ever does that it means he's signing for his own death.

 

"Ok ok. Just give me some time"

 

Everytime he say so the 'some time' become days, weeks, months and it's been a year. Then it'll probably turn into two years in no time. 

He knew he had to confess about his feelings towards the younger one soon not only because of Minho, but cause he couldn't wait to become more closer to Kibum. To call him everynight before sleeping and wake him up in the morning. To give him hugs and kisses eveytime they see each other. To blush around him without trying to hide it. To do everything every other couple do. He just really wanted to become Kibum's boyfriend and stay beside him during all of his happy as well as hard times.

But Jinki also knew he needed more time. No one knew why. Not even himself. He wasn't confident for no reason. 

 

 

-------------------

 

 

"Cake. Candles. Cookies. Plates. Balloons.."

 

Jinki pointed to the goods he gathered to the living room table to make a last time check on what he needed for the big day. For the big big surprise.
 

He looked at the wall clock and it said 4.35. A hour later Kibum will be at the front door not knowing why in the world Jinki told him to come meet at his place without letting him enjoy atleast his birthday peacefully. Whenever Jinki invites him to his house it's only to play a new video game he found recently. Kibum can't count the times the older one acts like a kid. He was a ten years old child living inside a fifty years old body.

Jinki threw himself to the sofa and imagined again about what he had planned to do. When Kibum knocks the door he would hide behind it and tell him to open the door and come inside. And then when Kibum comes in he would jump infront of the younger one and shout out 'Happy Birthday Kim Kibum' and throw..

 

"What the hell Lee Jinki?!"

 

He mentally slapped his mind for being so forgetful. For being the forever clumsy Jinki. Thank god he made a last time check.

 

"Confetti!! From where am I going to get them now?"

 

It was 5.10 and in a few more minutes Kibum will arrive. Jinki had no time left to go to a shop. He ran to his room and started to search everywhere for any remaining pack of confetti he used for Taemin's birthday last month. But there wasn't any. Think think think Jinki.

 

Then a thought struck him in a quick second. An old memory that was hidden in a corner of his mind for more than five years of time.

He rushed to get out the treasure box from under the bed. It was where he kept each and every one of his important and precious things. It also contained a bunch of polaroids of him and Kibum from different times. Yes they were too important for his dear life.

After making a mess inside the big wooden box he finally found what he wanted. The mysterious pack of confetti he got years ago. He never used it. He didn't exactly knew why but he actually treasured it. He remembered the glistening woman's words telling him to use it when needed. Maybe this really is the perfect time to use. Maybe something good will happen.

 

He didn't had much time to think because the sound of the knocks on the front door reached to his room frightening and making him extra nervous. He jumped to his feet and ran to the door praying god that he won't stumble down on the way. Once he was at the door he heaved a sigh trying calm down his self.

 

"Cool down Jinki. Cool down"

 

The knocks became more louder reminding him that it's time. He opened the transparant packet in his hand for the second time ever and took a handful of confetti.

 

"Come in Kibum"

 

He shouted out and ran beside the door. The door was opened and Kibum came inside with the usual bag on his sholder which he carried everywhere he goes. Jinki's heart beat stopped for a second.

 

"SURPRISE!!"

 

The older one jumped infront of the other throwing all the confetti on to him. 

 


Silence.

 

Everything stopped moving as if even the Earth stopped rotating. A bright sparkling light that appeared out of nowhere swirled around the still figures of the two boys and disappeared into the thin air in a few seconds. Then everything came back to life.

 


 "WHAT THE.."

 

"HAPPY BIRTH DAY KIM KIBUM!!!"

 

Jinki threw the remaining confetti that were sticking to his sweaty hands playfully like a kid. But not even in his dreams he was ready for what happened next.

 

"Thank you Jinki!!! Thank you thank you thank you so much"

 

Kibum jumped at Jinki hugging him tightly surprising the other by ten or twenty times. The younger one wasn't going to let go of him in no time so Jinki slowly held Kibum being careful not to squeeze him as if the other was made by glass and will break down if he does.

But it was then he heard small sounds of sobs. His heart skipped a beat.

 

 "Hey, are you crying? Did I do something wrong again?"

 

He got a punch on his shoulder as a reply.

 

"No you idiot. I'm so happy. Thank you.. I never expected this"

 

Even though he had seen the phrase 'heart melting' hundreds of times in the books he has read, he had no idea of what it really felt like until then.

Jinki felt like reaching the heaven and coming back. Kibum was small and tiny in his embrace he just wanted to protect him from every bad. The softness of Kibum's skin on his own skin, also softened his heart, mind, brain and his entire body. Jinki was filled with all the love in the world. 

After like five minutes which felt like five hours for Jinki, Kibum let go of the older one sniffling a little. When Jinki looked at those brown eyes and when he saw they were filled with tears and looked like two shining crystals he wanted to kiss away the tears so badly. Jinki loved him a lot.

 

"Sorry.. I can't get over my drama queen self"

 

And I love that drama queen. Both of them chuckled at that.

 

"So.. any more surprises?"

 

Jinki finally landed on planet Earth remembering about the cake he prepaired. Not actually prepaired by him but the bakery near his house.

 

"Come"

 

He took the younger one to the coffee table where he had prepaired everything perfectly. He felt so proud when he saw Kibum's smile coming back to life seeing the cake and everything. Well done Lee Jinki.

"Wow. Younggam. I never thought you'll do these things"

 

"Yah! I do that for you every year!"

 

And just for you.

 

"Ok ok. Stop with the self brag. Let's cut the cake"

 

They got seated on the sofa and Jinki gave the knife to Kibum.

 

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Kibummie. Happy birthday to you.."

 

Jinki clapped his chubby hands playfully while Kibum cut a little piece of the cake. Then he took the cake piece near Jinki's face gesturing him to eat it. 

Now that was another surprise. Old Kibum would shove it to his own mouth and tell Jinki to cut one for himself as if he was the one who made the cake. But this new Kibum was different. Jinki wondered why.

 

"Kibum I like-"

 

What the Jinki. He almost hit his mouth when he realized what exactly was going to come out of his stupid or not mouth. He couldn't understand why. He didn't prepaire for any kind of a confession and ruin that lovely day for both of them. He felt so stupid.

But Kibum had ears and he heard the older one's words so clearly and perfectly.

 

"Like what?"

 

The two boys stilled like statues making Jinki unable to talk creating a big lump in his throat.

 

"I like the cake"

 

He finally blurted out and was glad to get the atmosphere back to normal with his idiotic laugh. Thank god. That was close.

They talked about this and that enjoying the cake and the other foods.

 

Then.

 

"Kibum I like you"

 

Jinki chocked on his food. What the hell is wrong with you today Lee Jinki!!

He wished the ground beneath him would open up and swallow him in cause he did not wanted to stay visible there for a single second. His entire body started to heat up bringing a clear color of red to his cheeks. 

He just wanted to disappear. He was more than sure of what he heard. He confessed. To Kibum. He ruined that moment. He knew he did when he saw Kibum starring at him like he was going to eat him up any moment.

 

"I - I'm.. Kibum I'm.. What the-"

 

He was shut up with two soft lips on his own. His eyes dilated into two big balls making him loss his mind. He knew the younger wasn't going to end it any sooner when he deepened the kiss and closed any gap between them placing his thin hands on the other's nape giving Jinki the feeling of butterflies all over his self. Without knowing he slipped his hands onto Kibum's waist bringing him more and more closer. Is this real? Not another dream?

Minutes passed like hours and they finally let go of each other and breathed heavily to ragain the air back inside to their lungs.

 

 "I like you too"

 

Jinki returned to his statue self. He forgot all the words. He forgot everything. Kibum like me too? This cannot be real.

 

"It took you so long yonggam"

 

Jinki didn't miss to see the blush filling up the younger one's cheeks. Despite all the mess inside his mind he wanted to kiss the other again. He knew it was time to throw out all the words he had planned to tell the boy he was in love all the time. He felt confident out of nowhere.

 

"Kibum it's been a year now"

 

He took the other's hands just like in his daily dreams. Wow it's finally happening.

 

"I'm sorry I took a long time. But I didn't wanted to ruin our friendship. You being my best friend was the bestest thing that happened in my life"

 

"It's been two years for me Jinki. I waited for you. It's stupid. I should have told you sooner too"

 

Jinki looked deeper into those crystal eyes trying to find answers for his questions. Kibum liked him. And it was a long time before he started to fall for the other. He never noticed it. He was a complete idiot. Jonghyun should have told me.

 

"But now, that bestest thing will change, right?"

 

Jinki smiled and nodded while drawing circles on the younger's hand. They exchanged untold words that only they could figure out.

 

Now the bestest thing that happened in my life will be you being my boyfriend. 

 

 

 

That night when Jinki went to sleep he didn't forget to whisper a silent 'thank you' to whoever gave him the courage for everything. But he would never realize who that really is. The surprise events that happened in his life didn't start that day. It all started when he was just a fifteen years old boy.

 


He didn't change his fate. The fate changed him.

 

 

 

(Years ago..)

 

 


After wiggling his toes for a very long time Jinki finally opened his sleep filled eyes to see what has been giving a ticklish feeling to his feet.

 

"What the-"

 

He was standing. He was standing on some white cotton like fluffy thing. He rubbed his sleey eyes intensely because he was so much sure he was dreaming. 

But he wasn't. He looked before him and everywhere it was filled with those fluffy cottons in which he couldn't understand what they actually were.

 

"I'm dreaming, right?"

 

He asked himself. Jinki slowly tried to move his legs to make a step forward but he was certain that his clumsy legs would probably make him stumble down and he seriously didn't wanted to fall on whatever the thing it was under his feet.

 

"Hello dear"

 

He held his breath for a few seconds and stood still without a single movement. He surely heard a voice. A female voice, clear and calm.

 

"What the "

 

He couldn't stop cursing under his breath. Jinki just wanted go to sleep again.

 

"Don't be scared. I'm not going to hurt you"

 

The second time, he realized that the voice was coming from behind him. He took all his courage and turned around to know who was the owner of the voice.

 

"Oh my god.."

 

A woman was standing infront of his eyes and he definitely knew it was the most beautiful sight he has ever seen. She had a white flower crown on top of her long wavy blond hair. The white dress she was wearing and the glistening from her accessories was too much for Jinki's eyes and he almost went blind. She was glistening. Jinki just wanted to believe he was dreaming.

 

"Hello"

She spoke again waving her little hand at Jinki. That was when Jinki got back to his senses.

 

"Wh-who are you.."

 

The woman infront of him smiled. Jinki was sure that was a smile of an angel.

 

"I'm a fairy. And, you're up in the sky"

 

Sky? Jinki looked down again. Clouds? Am I standing on the clouds up in the sky I see everyday? What the actual thing is going on?

 

The fairy gave a small giggle seeing Jinki's terrified self.

 

"You don't have to be scared dear. Just think it's only a dream"

 

It surely is. Or is this a nightmare? He didn't knew anymore.

 

"Why am I here?"

 

There were so many questions going through his head and he needed better and real answers for all of them. He felt like he was being kidnapped. I just want to sleepI've school tomorrow!!

 

 "It's to give you a present"

 

"Present?"

 

"Yes"

 

"What present?" He paused for a second. "And if my memory is doing fine I don't remember wishing for any gift from god recently except to give me some acceptable grades for my monthly test. I at history"

 

The fairy laughed again and this time that made Jinki smile too. Am I really smiling? Here? Up un the sky? Why am I like this?

 

 "You're funny. But no. I know you didn't wish for anything. But there's something for you. It's given by your fate"


 

He was confused. What gibberish is she talking?

 

"My fate?"

 

"Yes"

 

They became silent. Jinki looked at the so called fairy's hand to see whether something will appear by magic. Or she must be having a magic wand and when she wave it the so called present will appear in front of him. He surely has watched those disney movies a little too much. 

But nothing happened. It frustrated him. He just wanted to go back to his comfy bed.

 

"Where is it?"

 

"What?"

 

"The present?"

 

The fairy smiled.

 

"You won't get it here Jinki. You'll find it under your pillow when you wake up"

 

"My pillow?"

 

"Yes. And you've to use it. Now or in the furture. When you need it"

 

"I don't get it. For what do I need it?"

 

"It's you who have to decide it dear"

 

The boy was getting frustrated with all the weird things he was hearing from the fairy. He just didn't wanted to believe anything. Not until he get back to his own habitat which is his room. And if he still remembered the fairy's tale and if he find something under his pillow, then he would try to believe it.

 

"So.. can I go now?"

 

Jinki looked down and again at the fairy confused again of how in the world is he going to go back. Should he jump off the clouds? He would probably break his legs. Will the fairy use her wand and make him disappear into the thin air? Even the thought of that alone gave him creepy chills.

 

"Just close your eyes"

 

He did as he was told. There wasn't anyother way but to listen to the fairy, the one who brought him there and the only one who can make him go back too. So he closed his eyes and waited.

 

"Remember this Jinki. You can't change your fate. Only the fate can change you"

 

He quickly opened his eyes once he heard those last words. And he was there. Back on his bed in his dear room. He rubbed his eyes hard and smacked his cheeks once and twice to wake himself up for real. Because everything he remembered felt so unreal for him. So unreal that he just thought it was another weird dream of his. 

Recently he had serieses of strange dreams like staying alone in an island with no food or water, and there was this other dream of him being dragged by some people in white gowns to a surgery room where he thought he was going to get the cure for deliria. Yes, Lee Jinki was only fifteen years old, but the boy has read too many books of fantasies. 

Then something came up in his mind. The present. He was then sure it was just a dream but to more certain, to be exact, to calm down his head from telling all that was real, he got the sudden urge to check under his pillow.

After refusing for the nth time to not look under the pillow he pulled it away from its place on the bed.

 

"No.."

 

He was greatly dumbfounded and was ready to pull out his hair thinking that he was finally going insane. But then he saw what the so called present actually was.

 

"Confetti?"

 

He grabbed the transparent packet and opened it to find hundreds and thousands of colorful glistening small paper like things. Confetti. For a fifteen years old boy who's about to turn sixteen in five months? And to use it in the future? What good will happen?

 

"Who the is joking around with me? Lee Taemin!!! Get over here right this momet"

 

He stormed out of the room downstairs to find the said boy leaving the mysterious packet of confetti behind.

 

 

 

 

Hello everyone. I think so far this is the longest oneshot I've written. Hehe.. Hope you liked it. Don't forget to comment. Have a nice day!!