Blooming In The Deep Darkness, Like a Flower

Rendezvous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You might want me, but don’t get pricked”

 

There is one thing about her best friend, Jiwoo would usually infatuate herself in her last crush and disappear from Jungeun’s side until things come to an end. That happens very fast, most of the times, Jiwoo goes deep into “love” (passion, or whatever it is called) and even faster gets out of it. Not that she wouldn’t cry for a whole week and need tons of ice cream (she would, most definitely always), but then one day she could just wake up with her usual proud and eager smile as if she had long forgotten all the pain. Then, it was officially over, and they wouldn’t talk about it anymore. Soon enough, Jiwoo would find another crush and start the loop all over again.

 

Sooyoung was hard to read, but Jungeun learned something about her in a blink. She was in love, somehow (don’t judge her, Jiwoo was indeed a very lovable person, but she tends to have one-sided crushes all the time), for her best friend. This was the first announcement for something different to happen this time around. Instead of vanishing from her view, Jiwoo was closer than ever. Mentioning, though, that with Sooyoung by her side for most of their time. It was nice to have her around,really , Jungeun could see how the girl had this catch on Jiwoo. Sooyoung was nice, easygoing and considerate of everyone around her. Not only she gave a lot of attention to Jiwoo, she always made sure to not let Jungeun uncomfortable around them as well. That’s the bare minimum, Jungeun knows, but people tend to even forget things that are so simple.

 

It worries her, it always does, but she has a good feeling towards Sooyoung.

 

This time could be different, it should be, Jiwoo deserved.

 

That’s for sure.

 

“Okay, so tell me Jungeun, who would you date?” Sooyoung asked, earning a huge clumsy grin from her because she was, apparently, the only one that could avoid calling her by that stupid nickname.

 

“You mean, from here ?” She returned, already looking for all the girls around the tables of the noisy cafeteria of their school.

 

“Yes, yes… have you ever thought about it?” Jiwoo was just by Sooyoung’s side, in front of Jungeun, still eating her lunch and pretending that she wasn’t paying that much of attention. But, of course, she was eager to know as well and never the one that could hide anything, Jungeun could tell that she was trying hard to suppress a smile. It was always hard for them to talk about those matters, like their friendship had some sort of barrier when it comes to that.

 

Maybe Sooyoung could help as she was a new face in her circle of friends, or Jungeun just felt a little less pressured around her. Sooyoung was older, she was kind, and, mostly, she wouldn’t take anything seriously.

 

Right?

 

The older, also, had those eagle eyes that Jungeun was sure that could pierce any soul. And probably caught a lie very fast, not that Jungeun couldn’t at least give it a try .

 

“Okay, hm… I don’t think that I’ve ever thought about it, but…” She was still rummaging her eyes around, until she had a glimpse of such an unpleasant view.

 

Heejin was in the very other edge of the cafeteria, far away from them, so she wasn’t expecting to spot her that easily. Well, she wasn’t expecting to see her at all (right?). Her eyes trembled and stopped for a little too long on the girl. The brunette seemed to be doing the very natural of talking to her friends, while eating her lunch. It seemed to be a light conversation, as the younger kept smiling all along with her friends. A lot. Jungeun didn’t noticed, but her right hand turned into a fist and she kept biting her lower lip for an unconscious reason. A totally unknown reason. Also, it took her some seconds to realize that she stopped breathing for a while, until she blinked herself out of the spell.

 

Or whatever that was.

 

The fear of getting caught came rushing like a wave, because there was this uneasy shame crawling up on her chest, when she looked back at Sooyoung. Something about eyes that could pierce her soul, like she was the little prey of such a strong predator. She just felt very little with the sight of this shy smirk on her face (and was that a nod?), that made Jungeun start running her eyes towards that table again to spot something, anything , that could save her from that certain misunderstanding. Catching yellow locks in the same direction, just by Heejin’s side, Jungeun was fast to make herself clear .

 

“That girl, hm, Chaewon?” She asked, more to herself than to her friends.

 

“Chaewon?” Sooyoung’s deep voice sent shivers directly to her spine, as if she could easily detect her despair. But, it was not like she was lying… the implications of telling the whole truth were way too heavy for her to bear though.

 

And Chaewon’s kind of pretty, not that she had ever noticed before.

 

“Yeah, she is…” Just to be sure, Jungeun had to look one more time in her direction. Maybe she caught another glimpse on Heejin too, and had to catch her breath ( damn, what was happening to her today?) , she had a different hairstyle that made her look so young and… “…very feminine, you know? I think that, if I was to like some girl, it has to be because she looks girly, right? Nothing against-…”

 

“You don’t need to explain yourself, I understand. It’s kind of my thing too, you know, I thought Jiwoo was really shy and not anywhere as loud as she is, at first.” Sooyoung said and turned to Jiwoo as fast as she could, seeing the pout forming on her lips. “Hey, don’t worry, I like your noisy side too.”

 

“ Ew. ”

 

“Oh, no, I didn’t mean in a se-… God. Just, forget I’ve said that.” The older had to hide her face between her hands, because that was something . Jiwoo just turned into a whole mess as well, lightly whining when even her neck was glistening in red. “Anything else ?”

 

“No, I don’t think so. Why do you ask?”

 

“Nothing, is just that I’m a little bit curious. There’s, like, a bunch of girls around crushing on you, and now that we’re hanging out more, they come asking if you’re down to it.”

 

“Seriously?”

 

“At the very least, half of this school has a crush on you. Did you forget the tons of letters you’ve got for valentine’s last year? Your girl crush game is so strong and you don’t even like girls, what’s the point?” Jiwoo said this time and Jungeun blushed.

 

“Shut up! I don’t need to like girls, just because I have a little bit of a girl crush style.”

 

“ Duh … I know, the thing is: You’re the one losing all the fun.”

 

She wasn’t losing anything, Jungeun thought, before getting up. Her friends followed her to their next class, and the conversation would be dead on them. Unless, it didn’t quite of died on her. When they were passing by Heejin and her friends, she watched how the brunette caught an eye on her this time. It was for a brief moment, as she seemed endorsed in a conversation with the girl in front of her. Jungeun didn’t dare to take a look on who it was, but she remembered about seeing the dark locks and even darker eyes surely staring at her (she avoided the best she could, because it made her very uncomfortable) when she was all the way back at her table.

 

The funny thing is that Heejin would always take the opportunity to call her, because Jungeun hated that annoying nickname. This time, however, there was no calling. Heejin remained still, looking at her for a second and then sighing before turning away. The smile she so had for her friends before wasn’t anywhere near as well. Jungeun felt herself small once again, all of a sudden as if she really couldn’t picture the reason for it, so she lowered her eyes, all the while her head was sort of bouncing in denial (what was she even expecting?). She couldn’t be shaken because of that, right? She should be happy, not being teased by the girl. But the way Heejin sighed and how her eyes just dropped.

 

Jungeun wondered if something happened.

 

She wondered if Heejin was feeling sad .

 

Or, she wondered why Heejin couldn’t keep the previously smile for her.

 

(…)

 

The world was on mute for her, all the songs being muffled by the water encircling her body. Her lungs were already screaming for air, her chest going back and forth frantically but she was still holding on. Just in front of her was her rival, seeming unbothered while Jungeun wondered why or how. She was so damn weak, they had barely started, and she was already on the verge of giving up. The golden locks of the figure in front of her were God-like, her friend seriously looked like a mermaid. A whole entity all opposed to what her friend really looked like outside of the water, Jinsoul was usually such a nice looking, well-mannered dork little puppy. That surely had to come with a warning, telling the danger if submerged on water.

 

A few days ago, Jungeun read somewhere about the blue betta. It’s a small and elegant looking fish, that has an aggressive and territorial behavior, and this reminded her so much of her friend (not the small part though). The waters were her place, her house, and just like the pretty little blue betta , Jungeun was sure that Jinsoul could just swallow any of the unpleasant guests in her waters. She felt like a guest in her water indeed. Smaller fishes, of the likes of Jungeun herself, wouldn’t stand a chance and even the bigger ones could have a difficult fight, against a fish that was so well adapted to troubled waters.

 

Jinsoul wasn’t only adapted to troubled waters, she was well fitted to survive with the lacking oxygen. She could breathe inside of the waters, which is usual for a fish, but she could also get a little bit of oxygen directly from the air. Even being easy like that, whatsoever, why Jinsoul felt way breathless when looking at her ?

 

She couldn’t tell, she wasn’t one to give much thoughts on that as well.

 

And Jungeun… she wouldn’t know .

 

“I won again.” Jinsoul said, after getting back to the surface, a dumb and tired smile on her face.

 

Her eyebrows arched in somewhat of an eight, or at least it is common acknowledge as that, this also known as Jinsoul’s favorite skill. She was very good at arching her eyebrows in many ways, as if she could have entire conversations like that.

 

Jungeun could only think of how dumb that is, and cute .

 

She fails to mention the cute part, she would only call as Jinsoul’s dumb behavior again .

 

“, seriously? I couldn’t notice.”

 

“Yah! Are you buying me coffee?” She asked, a huge smirk on her lips, her face ethereal even with her wet hair all messily hanging on it.

 

“ off!” Jungeun tossed water on her face. “I’m gonna drown you if you keep bringing that up, I lost a bet!”

 

“Are you ready to lose our bet as well?”

 

“What about never ?”

 

“Hey girls, are you done with the warm ups?” Their coach asked, a tall blonde woman probably in her 40’s that looked like Jinsoul’s mother (she must’ve been traded at birth, because she doesn’t look near as close to her mother as to their coach,seriously ). She had to whistle after, and that hurts everyone’s ears, so she could gather all the other swimmer’s attention. “We’re going on relays today, get out of the water everyone so we can start. First team’s up, apart from Jungeun… you’re going with the substitutes today.”

 

“What? Why teacher?” She asked going for the pool’s border, Jinsoul being left behind to talk with some members of the first team.

 

Heejin among them.

 

“We’re starting on the 100m relay and I don’t think you can be on the first team for that, the tournament is weeks ahead, but we need to settle it already.”

 

“Am I that bad in short races?” She asked when heading out of the water, staying by her coach side.

 

“Not that bad, but I don’t have enough people for the long ones. I’m going to mix some of you, so we can still guarantee solid results in both team and individual tournaments, without getting you all too tired. It’s a way to prevent injuries at the same time.”

 

“I see.” Jungeun said, her eyes on the students getting set on the outside border of the pool. Eight members, one in each part of the pool, ready to start. Jinsoul was in the fourth row, with Heejin next by her in the fifty row. The very best ones. “Are you cutting Heejin from the long relays, then?”

 

“She’s actually improving her sustain, but she asked to be included only for the short races. I’ve tried to make up her mind, but she’s kind of stubborn just like you.”

 

“I’m not stub-…”

 

“Part of your warm ups are either racing Jinsoul our seeing who can dive for longer, by the way I’ve already said to cut that off, it’s dangerous. So, don’t tell me you’re not stubborn. I’ve yet to meet someone that can beat you, and Heejin’s getting herself a close call.”

 

“Ouch, teacher…”

 

“The truth hurts… Now, go settle herself in the fifty row already, you’re going next after them with the second team.”

 

Only nodding back to her coach, Jungeun decided to follow her instructions without much more talking. She was a nice lady, but not if bothered. It was better not risking it, even if implied that she had to remain next to Heejin before her race started. The girl was there stretching her muscles, having a little chit-chat with Jinsoul and the other members around. Jungeun tried to keep looking at the celling, the water, or anything inside the gym in an attempt to avoid all the girls in their swimsuits. Not that is troublesome, but always felt kind of weird . They were all girls, okay , and it was normal , but she wouldn’t ever get used to it. She just wasn’t someone to be comfortable around anyone with too much skin showing, not one to have her own skin showing that much around anyone too.

 

She was shy , that’s all Jungeun thinks about it.

 

Nothing strange about that.

 

“Hey, coach is mad at you or something?” Jinsoul asked, gaining her attention just a little before she could greet Heejin. “Was it because we’re diving again?”

 

“No, she’s mixing the relays a little. She doesn’t have enough people for long races, so probably I won’t make it to the short relays for the team.”

 

“You’re not good in those, anyway.” Heejin spoke, Jinsoul followed laughing after and Jungeun wasn’t even mad, it was good to hear her voice for the first time in the day.

 

The hell?

 

“You’re not good in the longer ones too, so shut up.”

 

“Make me.” Heejin scoffed and Jungeun was so sure to be a banter, but why did she had to say that?

 

Does she even know what she’s implying?

 

“Okay girls, take your places, we don’t have the whole afternoon!” Their coach shouted, and the members of the first team went to their places, Jungeun still kindly frozen in her spot. Jinsoul unaware, God was kind , of that part of their conversation. “Ready?”

 

“Hey, take a look if you want to know how to swim properly.” Heejin said, looking back without changing her position, and diving in the water after their coach’s whistle.

 

Jungeun rolled her eyes, but of course she would pay attention to the first team race. It was impressive, watching just how graciously Jinsoul had a head start. Her diving was the longest and she also breathed better than the others, her aerodynamics were too out of their leagues as she was the tallest member of the team. Heejin, in the other hand, had terrible feet work and her start was rather decent. Nothing much, she was falling back at fourth when they touched the 50m wall and turned back. But then, her turning went just spectacular, she was even able to beat Jinsoul for most time inside the water, alongside with her fast turning. She caught up with her feet as well, getting a slower rhythm, but one that matched her somewhat strong (or, you could say very fast) arms better.

 

There were three rows apparently tied, after the 25m back, but Jungeun couldn’t tell who went down for the win as she had to dive in for her turn when they got close enough. She had a poor start, her feet swinging too much in the air, but nothing able to totally ruin her race. Her problem with the short races was matching her breathing, so she decided to go for no-breathing at her best. Compared to Jinsoul, she wasn’t good at being without oxygen, but in general, compared to otherhumans , she was very skilled at it. If it wasn’t for this, she wouldn’t be able to compete in long races. For her, this no-breathing tactic turned messy in a short race like this one, but only because she wasn’t seeing how much faster she could be going.

 

The only thought in her mind was winning, at any cost, so she could have something to brag about. Or to match, at its least. If Heejin wanted to have shut, then Jungeun would gladly make her best effort for it. She couldn’t think about her feet pace, or hands alignment, breathing, or even if she was going in a straight line, her only thought was I’m going to shut .

 

Jungeun was going to shut that damn pretty mouth of hers.

 

(…)

 

“The coach is so going to review your participation in short races, if you keep doing like that.” Jinsoul said, after getting a sip of her green tea smoothie.

 

“It’s not that she doesn’t want me in the short relays, she wants me to rest properly and avoid injuries.” Jungeun answered.

 

“She’s not doing that with me, though.”

 

“You’re literally a fish, and she knows you gonna riot. She told me that Heejin asked to be out of the long ones as well.”

 

“Speaking of which, have you seen her face? She was totally speechless.”

 

The memory of the brunette scoffing so hard and ignoring Jungeun for her living, also trying to back off when Jungeun reached for her elbow and ending up tripping on her own feet (Jungeun had to save her from falling, their faces getting so close she actually drowned herself on that mole Heejin has down her left eye) saying a Who’s gonna teach who? , was very fresh on Jungeun’s mind.

 

The up-close vision of her mole as well, it was very symmetrical somehow and, actually , Jungeun was only trying to pursue for a word (or sentence) other than pretty cute to avoid the self-shame of liking something coming from Heejin.

 

By the way, she wouldn’t let herself forget that sight.

 

It was haunting her mind, a tiny ghost peaking on the corner for now.

 

“That was some pretty good view.” She answered, taking a huge bite on her sandwich, the water always left her starving.

 

“Whipped.”

 

“Stop.”

 

“Fine… Oh, hey , look who’s here!” Jinsoul greeted as she stood up, fast to envelop her friend in a warm hug. “How are you doing?”

 

“What’s up? I’m fine. Hi again Jungeun.” She just waved to Sooyoung, as she was chewing a huge bite from her perfect (she was just hungry, a brick would’ve been perfect too) tuna sandwich.

 

“Come on, sit here with us.” Jinsoul offered.

 

“Just gonna place my order, be right back.”

 

After finishing her bite, just in case , Jungeun looked back at the entrance to know if there was no other student coming around with Sooyoung. There was no one and she realized that for the whole week , Heejin hasn’t been around Sooyoung that much. Which was totally fine, she had to endure her for such a long time already for the clubs they were together. There were more people around the coffee, of course, some students that Jungeun could recognize, a few hanging out with their boyfriends (usually some boys from the other school nearby, the coffee was a place for some blind dates as well, Jungeun tried before), and also some guys with their friends alone, but none of them mattered for her.

 

“What are you doing around here?” Jungeun asked, when Sooyoung sat by them.

 

“Just got off school, I was helping out at the library.” Soon like that her name was called, still in the middle of her talking, so she went to grab her vanilla latte.

 

Apart from Jungeun and her 15cm sandwich, and Jinsoul with her whole set of chocolate brownies, Sooyoung didn’t order anything to eat. Something about not being hungry, because she didn’t have close to two hours of swimming training in the afternoon. Or maybe, because Heejin went out of the pools and directly to study in the library never forgetting to share her chocolate bars, or cereal bars, cookies, or simply anything she had with her. Sooyoung would deny it, politely, but Heejin always made that cute puppy face (she keeps that one for the hardest moments) that not even Sooyoung could say no to her.

 

Heejin was tearing up her diet already, but she wasn’t mad.

 

“Oh… how was it?”

 

“Well, hm, silent? I don’t know, just organizing a bunch of new books.” Sooyoung said looking at her cellphone, after the first sip on her latte (realizing it was still a little bit too hot for her), a smile coming to her face as she started typing a message. “Are you guys free this Saturday?”

 

“Mayhaps.” Jinsoul answered, Jungeun followed silently with a nod (she wasn’t done with her sandwich, notice that she fast ate the first parts and now she was already feeling full).

 

“Why?”

 

“My parents won’t be at home for the weekend, so I was thinking about a small party? What do you think? Oh, and by you I mean only Jinsoul, because you’re coming either way Jungeun. I need you there.”

 

“What? Why? ”

 

“Jiwoo’s just going if you’re going, so you’re going.”

 

“What if my parents don’t allow me? Hello?” And, of course, what if she doesn’t want to go? Jungeun wasn’t very fond of parties at that age.

 

“Just say you’re going for a sleepover? I mean, it’s basically that with the addition of alcohol? I’m not inviting many people either, just want to hang out with my friends and to enjoy my girlfriend a little?”

 

“Wait… are you guys official?”

 

“Not… yet? I was actually meaning to talk with you.” Sooyoung looked over Jungeun and went to search something on her phone. “There’s something I’ve been wanting to give her…”

 

“Don’t tell me you’re a bottom Sooyoung, don’t kill people’s fantasies!”

 

“Shut the up, what the hell Jinsoul! I’m not even-…” She rolled her eyes, stopping herself from saying something she probably shouldn’t , letting a smile to cover her face again seconds after when she found the right picture. “Here, take a look since you’re her best friend, what do you think?”

 

“ Woah… really? She loves penguins, but isn’t this too much? I mean, wasn’t too expensive?” Jungeun asked, passing the phone to Jinsoul, after just taking one more look at the silver necklace.

 

“Last year I’ve worked part-time correcting some exams, so I had a few savings. And I really want her to see that I’m serious about us? There’s so many rumors about me going around, I don’t want her to have any reason to think that I’m just playing or whatever with her… you know?”

 

“Look, if there’s something you don’t have to worry is about any rumors. She won’t ever think about believing on them, if you just tell her the truth. She’s always ready to listen, so just talk to her if something comes up and she’ll surely understand.”

 

“Gotta work on that. The talking part, I mean.” A blush came to Sooyoung’s face and Jinsoul returned her phone, after a lot of teasing and some praising for her good taste. “We haven’t been talking much , that’s why I want to meet her at the weekend so bad…”

 

“But you guys are always together?” Jungeun asked, at least in the school, they were always together for the past couple of weeks.

 

“Yeah… but apart from the school’s breaks, when we go out we’re mostly kissing… like, a lot?”

 

“Oh, my… Please spare us from the details.”

 

“We need to settle this up: We’re not having , okay?”

 

“That’s unexpected.”

 

“Stop embarrassing me, Jinsoul? Pretty please? You know what, you better not come Saturday if you plan to embarrass me in front of Jiwoo.”

 

“I wouldn’t do that. ”

 

“You would, definitely , do just that. However, the only thing that matters is you Jungeun. So, Saturday?”

 

(…)

 

“You talk with my parents, I’m not doing that.”

 

“Fine, be right back!”

 

“Not now Jiwoo!” Jungeun said pulling her by the collar. “They aren’t even home yet, I think they’ll be here just around dinner time?” She said, after realizing that her mother wasn’t anywhere near and having some memory snaps from a previous conversation with her in the morning.

 

Jungeun was too sleepy to be sure that it wasn’t a dream, but she found a note in the fridge later.

 

“How long until Sooyoung comes?” She asked, getting their bags to her room, because of course that Jiwoo would literally throw her things down before taking off her shoes and running to the kitchen to look for some dessert.

 

Jungeun’s mother was very skilled at the kitchen, so often they had homemade cakes or anything sweet.

 

“I don’t know!” Jiwoo screamed in response, so Jungeun could listen to her, all the while finding something inside the fridge. “Hey, can I ea-…”

 

“Yes, you can. Just pray it isn’t already rot, I guess, and pass me a bottle of water.”

 

“Here miss.”

 

“Ask Sooyoung what time she’ll come, please? I want to know if we can start doing the homework already, or if we’ll have to wait until we come back.”

 

“Yeah… yeah… wait a second.” Her friend answered already taking a bite on the strawberry cake they’ve had. “Oh, but… it’s Friday! There’s no such thing as worrying about the homework, come on.”

 

“If we’re going out tomorrow, is better if we start the homework today?”

 

“Sundays are the officials homework days, please?”

 

“A few parents will come over, I don’t know if I’ll have much time.”

 

“We have so many things to talk today.” She kept pleading punching Jungeun’s sides.

 

“Let’s see, okay? I’m gonna change, be right back.”

 

Spring season barely started, but Jungeun was already afraid of the weather. She wasn’t very fond of the heat, fortunately the early stages of the season weren’t that hot (at least not yet) and spring break was just a month away, so nothing to worry for now. She went directly for her favorite high-waisted black nylon shorts, with two pockets in the front so she could carry her cellphone and house keys easily as they would probably go for a walk with Sooyoung. For her top, she went simply to a white plain shirt and a brown pattern flannel just to be sure that she wouldn’t have problems if they took so long and the weather starts to get colder.

 

Jiwoo entered her room when she was already putting her favorite white all-stars, wearing long socks (that reached the middle half of her shin) in the same color. Her friend left a soft gasp, which she responded with a You’re gay , before sitting down on the bed next to her.

 

“Can we have Heejin tagging along?”

 

“Hm… how about no?”

 

“Please? Hyunjin invited them for her basketball game, with her friends, down to her block? Heejin is going anyway. So…”

 

“What are we going to do in a basketball game? I don’t even know how to play it.”

 

“We’re not playing, let’s just hang around and eat ice cream! There’s a grocery store nearby too.”

 

“Fine… but Heejin coming here ?”

 

“Just so she can leave her things with Sooyoung’s?”

 

“And coming back here ?” Jungeun was all about denying, but her friend had that sad little pout on her face. “You’re buying me an ice cream then.”

 

“I’m gonna be broke by the end of the year, if things keep going like that.” Jiwoo said, but the smile was wide in her face.

 

“Probably, yes, and I do not care.”

 

“Can I borrow that green tank-top then?”

 

“You’re already looking for it.” Jungeun said, seeing as Jiwoo was going around her wardrobe.

 

“Skirts or shorts? Oh, and I think they’re leaving the library soon, they’ll be here in half an hour or so.”

“If we’re going to watch the game in the bleachers, shorts are the safest way around.”

 

“Good, I’ll take those ripped shorts too then.” She said, starting to undress, Jungeun politely looked at the window and then her cellphone so she wouldn’t pay attention to her friend’s body.

 

She should be used to it by now.

 

She wasn’t.

 

“Just be sure to not spill ice cream on those, they’re one of my favorites.”

 

“Don’t worry.”

 

“I do worry when it comes to you Jiwoo, you have a long list of stained clothes.”

 

“Hey! My mom is bad at doing laundry, she’s the one getting my clothes stained I swear!” Jungeun just laughed. “Do I look okay?”

 

“More than okay.”

 

“Sooyoung’s gonna like it?”

 

“She will, or I’ll beat her .”

 

“Thank you.” Jiwoo said, sitting by Jungeun and laying her head on top of her shoulder.

 

A heavy sigh that left didn’t pass by unnoticed.

“Is everything all right?”

 

“Yes.” She could watch the smile growing up in Jiwoo’s face from the mirror on her wardrobe, that was in front of them. “She’s really nice.”

 

“She must be, I swear that I’ll beat her if she hurts you. No one hurts my friend.” Jiwoo’s smile just got wider, she loved it, she really loved it when Jungeun showed how much she cared.

 

It happened only in rare occasions, though, spoken in the blue like that. She’s usually one to not voice her feelings away, keeping them to herself, expressing in simple acts like protecting her friends by force if needed. Jiwoo lost count of how many friends Jungeun lost, just because she was bitter that they’ve done any little thing that got Jiwoo upset. When Jiwoo herself never really bothered even when people were being mean to her. She was glad that Jungeun did, that helped her to learn how to say no for a lot of things she couldn’t before.

 

“She said that she got me something, for Saturday. I’m so-… I know it’s tomorrow, but I’m dying to know what it is.”

 

Jungeun decided to remain quiet, just lightly smiling to her friend’s reflection before she could bite her tongue and say that she just had an idea of the surprise, reminding of the conversation they’ve had in the wednesday.

 

“It will be okay for you? Sooyoung said that she can hook you up with some friend’s brother, or something. If you don’t want to be stuck with a bunch of drunk girls trying to kiss you.”

 

“I’ve been stuck with you for years, I think I know how to handle myself.”

 

“Yah!”

 

“Am I lying though? You’ve tried to kiss me so many times, and I’m sure you’re more determined than a whole crowd, if I was able to avoid you, I can avoid anybody.”

 

“I’m weak, okay? And your lips are very kissable.”

 

“You tell me this almost every day. But, seriously, don’t worry. I’m not looking to go out with anyone right now. I just want to hang out with my friends.”

 

“That’s great, but it could be better if you decided to kiss some girl. Heejin’s probably single, by the way.”

 

“There you go and there you shall stop. ”

 

“It’s always worth to try, double meaning intended.” Jiwoo said, looking at her phone. “Come on, I think they’re here.”

 

There was one thing, that would cross Jungeun’s mind from time to time. The said thing was standing in front of her, a little blurred because Sooyoung was taller and before her at the door, but yet. There it was Jeon Heejin standing in front of her door, something that Jungeun never thought that could ever have even a slight chance to happen. She was still wearing her school’s uniform, the gray skirt and the white blouse, her hair was parted in the middle falling on her shoulders and her eyes were light-brown, almost yellow, because the sun was touching her face.

 

Maybe, after holding her glare fixed in her eyes for more than a second, Jungeun kept her eyes too long on her Russian-like nose and her pinkish glowing lips. She laughed when she realized what she was doing, earning a smirk back at her direction. Heejin made her way inside without words, or maybe with a soft can I come in? that Jungeun didn’t accomplished (she nodded a yes without noticing, too), when Sooyoung finally gave her space after hugging Jiwoo for a couple of seconds.

 

“Heejin!” Jiwoo tossed herself on the girl, enveloping her in a tight hug.

 

“Hey.” Sooyoung turned to Jungeun, kicking her feet on the way, so she could get her attention. “Go greet Heejin first.” She said, pinching Jungeun’s side so she would move.

 

Their greeting was a failure, some weird hi and hello, welcome, please get yourself comfortable , that made Sooyoung just laugh at Jungeun’s back before getting her attention again.

 

“Why are you guys so weird with each other?” She whispered, so only Jungeun could hear, when Jiwoo was closing the entrance door and animatedly talking with Heejin about the strawberry cake she had earlier.

 

She did not ask Jungeun, if she could just get another piece and share with Heejin, but she did it anyway.

 

Sooyoung and Jungeun went directly to her room, so the older could change her clothes. She was about to leave the later to change alone, but Sooyoung insisted to talk with her before she could do it.

 

“So, how about tomorrow? Is everything set?”

 

“Jiwoo’s gonna do the talking with my parents, but they always say yes to her. So, yes , everything’s set.”

 

“Great.” She sighed in relief. “I’m kind of nervous, had to bite my tongue and stop myself from giving her the necklace already.”

 

Same , Jungeun could’ve say it.

 

“Never knew Ha Sooyoung was this cute.” Jungeun said instead, as the older was almost ready wearing a burgundy turtleneck tank top and leggings. She had no problem changing in front of others, Jungeun could tell, while trying her best to avert her eyes.

 

“I am not cute, take that back!”

 

“Don’t give me this look, holy you’re scary. Stop!” Jungeun asked again, as Sooyoung made her way towards her.

 

“Just kidding, come on. And hey, I’m really glad that you’re coming tomorrow. Thank you, really.”

 

“It’s okay, don’t worry.”

 

“Oh, and by the way, I don’t know if Jiwoo told you, but I can definitely get a handsome guy for you to hook up with. There’s this younger brother of one-”

 

“Nah, I’m fine.”

 

“Sure thing?”

 

“Yeah, I don’t need any drama for now and that’s all I ever get with boys.”

 

“Oh, you say that because you don’t go out with girls. The drama is a hundred of times bigger, but a thousand of times worth it.”

 

“Jiwoo keeps telling me that .”

 

“She’s right and, well , maybe tomorrow can be the day for you to lose it up a little? Chaewon’s gonna be there.”

 

“I-…”

 

“Well, Olivia is going to be there too, but she won’t stay much I think. Hyunjin always get her home early.” Jungeun failed to listen when Sooyoung added one You can find someone else too , while looking at the kitchen.

 

“I forgot that they’re cousins.”

 

“Well, they never hang around school together, I don’t blame you.”

 

“But what’s the problem of Olivia being around?” Not that she was minding about Chaewon at all, but she grew curious over Olivia in the past weeks.

 

The girl was such a puzzle for everyone, getting attention from a lot of seniors even if she was still a middle-schooler. There was the fact that she was used to get in trouble every week or so, to add on top of that, like the time with Vivi. About Chaewon, not that she looked like one, but she was also a high-schooler like them, in her first year like Heejin and Hyunjin. Jungeun and Jiwoo were on their second year, Jinsoul and Sooyoung were getting ready to graduate by the summer among with the chord leader Haseul (also the student’s council president).

 

“She’s kind of protective towards Chaewon? Like, really protective, it’s not very healthy to try and approach her when Olivia’s around.”

 

“Is that something from their family? I mean, Hyunjin is overly protective around Heejin as well.”

 

Sooyoung chuckled, before giving a thumbs up seeing that Jiwoo and Heejin were making their way towards the room. Yes, the door was open all along and Jiwoo maybe fainted (something about not being able to take her eyes off Sooyoung when she was changing clothes) whilst waiting Heejin to get out of the bathroom (she changed her clothes after getting a bite of the cake) and that’s why everything was so silent from their side.

 

“Are you guys ready?”

 

Jungeun pulled herself out of the bed in a blink, standing stunned when seeing Heejin in her casual clothes. It was nothing out of the ordinary, really , but something crept all over her spine that she rushed to get on her feet without even knowing her next step. So, she literally remained standing motionless for half a minute. Heejin was just wearing a plain black sweater, showing her collarbones for the wide oval collar, tucked inside her jeans shorts in the front. Nothing out of the ordinary (see?), but she was with her glasses on this time. Not a rare thing when she’s out of the school, but something that Jungeun wasn’t very used to it (they aren’t used to see each other after the school, that’s probably the second time around).

 

The round glasses looked good on her, she wonders why Heejin usually wears lenses in the school though.

 

“Wake up.” Sooyoung clapped her hands in front of Jungeun.

 

“Yes, yes, let’s go.” Jungeun said, not daring to look up to Heejin again, too embarrassed with herself.

 

“Hey, take care with the stare game around Hyunjin.” Sooyoung whispered taking her front.

 

“I wasn’t-…”

 

“Save it.”

 

.

 

(…)

 

The road was silent in the first minutes, Heejin wasn’t talkative like the last time they’ve met and Jungeun remained closer to the couple. Meanwhile, Heejin was more endorsed in her cellphone than on her surroundings, but that could be mainly Jungeun’s fault. Or, she felt guilty for it by staying next to the couple and interacting with them. But it was too hard to approach Heejin, if she was distant like that. Jungeun just couldn’t find a way to start a conversation, even if she wanted.

 

She didn’t, then.

 

Fifteen minutes felt like two hours long, when Heejin finally came to her side their eyes met in a haze before she latched their arms (they’ve bumped their shoulders first, for a couple of times, just for the teasing), the anxiety still showing on her trembling hands. She kept her hands inside the pockets of her shorts, so Heejin wouldn’t see, Jungeun felt at ease then.

 

Heejin looked back at the way in front of them, so she mirrored, meeting Sooyoung’s eyes a while after, looking at their linked arms. She ignored the wink that followed, hoping that Heejin couldn’t catch eye on that, and attempting to hide her blush letting her hand in front of her face for a short while, descending on it until as she hummed to a half forgotten song.

 

“Listen…” Jungeun asked, getting Heejin’s full attention for once. “Is this our second date?” Her voice barely breaking the point of a whisper, fearing that dragging her tone higher could shatter the thin and unseen veil circling them.

 

A veil full of anticipation, fear, and something else .

 

She got what she wanted, though, a smile from the younger.

 

The one she missed on Wednesday.

 

“We followed the no kiss in the first date rule, then.” She felt her shoulders losing its heaviness, a lot less tense then before, maybe they could surpass that veil without breaking anything apart. “Do we get to kiss now?” Heejin asks and she couldn’t feel the weight of the question, too lost for paying that much of attention to her words.

 

The sound of Heejin’s voice was way too soothing, an anxiety breaker after the excruciating amount of time they’ve been walking on silence. Jungeun cackles and then snorts in the middle of it, hard, also nervous without knowing what to answer.

 

So, she doesn’t.

 

And Heejin doesn’t mind, already expecting the silence that followed, but this time not oblivious to it. She couldn’t think about anything else to say, as well, instead moving her feet in front of Jungeun’s and almost getting her to trip. Though it wasn’t a good idea, when Jungeun was way stronger and got hold of her sides until her back almost reached the floor, only to put her back up to a season of tickles. They ran out of breath shortly, releasing their arms and running around trying to catch each other again, among shouting and using either Jiwoo or Sooyoung to block their way.

 

It was gone, the momentary fun they were having.

 

Jungeun wouldn’t remember that she was supposed to hate Heejin, not until they’ve reached the basketball court and Hyunjin was there waiting for them. The way Heejin just detached from her arm and went literally running to hug her, it made Jungeun’s smile fade for good and that afternoon such a waste of her time. And she wasn’t good at hiding it, so she went to the bleachers after a wave to Hyunjin’s (and Heejin’s) direction without giving it a second thought.

 

The veil was there again, this time thicker, overwhelming, enveloping as her heart kept clenching inside her chest. She doesn’t know this feeling, but she surely doesn’t like it. The pressure inside her chest, the air going out of her lungs to never comeback, this feeling of being trapped in a hug so tight she couldn’t breathe…

 

She doesn’t like it, at all.

 

Her eyes still following them, how they were all smiles, how their arms kept bumping, or how their hands traced their sides, along their arms, shoulders, or simply how Hyunjin wasn’t afraid to go into her personal space when Jungeun could only wait for anything to happen (like she did when Heejin linked arms with her). How Hyunjin could hug her countless of times in the same minute, in a simple act of hovering her arms on top of the girl’s shoulder.

 

It was not like Jungeun wanted a hug, in the first place. But, damn , why does that hurt?

 

“You fine?” Jiwoo asked, leaving Sooyoung and Heejin behind her. They were already making their way to the bleachers as well, as Hyunjin’s game was starting in the court.

 

“The sun’s too hot.” She lied, there was no way she could voice everything happening to her insides.

 

Not now, hopefully never.

 

Whatever was happening to her, it shouldn’t last long.

 

“You’re wrong.” Heejin said, sitting next to her. “This is our third.”

 

“What are you even talking about?” Jungeun flinches, not in the mood to whatever was passing inside the girl’s head.

 

It was easy to take a guess, but her mind was blurred.

 

“We don’t have to wait for Hyunjin, right? Can we get our ice creams already?” Jiwoo asked, more pleading for it.

 

“There’s a bookstore nearby, I want to get a new sudoku book, can we go there first?” Jungeun was nearly lost, trying to keep track of the conversation, not knowing what to address. Jiwoo and Sooyoung were debating, probably whining about how tired they were, and the bookstore was in the other street, but everything came muffled because Heejin wasn’t paying attention to them as well and went back to her saying —“Come with me?” already touching her hand and Jungeun’s breath

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter