Grace with love

We're sharing memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We were only kids when she fell in love. It was a small kindergarten, but it was still full of bad boys who would steal and hide her doll. She cried every time that happened. One day after the repetition of the episode, she was sitting on the cold pavement after searching the whole building. Not knowing what to do next, she just sit and began crying.

"Don't you know nobody likes crying babies?” She raised her eyes and saw a boy she had seen before, always laughing and with a big mouth; he never seemed to shut up. His words had a storm effect, making her day even gloomier. Daehyun didn't know what to do with the sudden flood of tears so he started doing what he knew better: talking.

"I meant...what happened to you? Don't you know everything bad will go away? You just have to be strong and hang on. Do you even hear me? Come on, shhh.", he said tapping her head as she began stopping the sobs. It was probably because she was tired, not because Daehyun's words helped.

"What's your name", the boy asked.

"Eun Ae", she responded shyly. "Yours?"

"Daehyun, nice to meet you.", he said with a cheerful smile. He then asked her what happened and they began searching for the doll together. That's how their friendship began. The rest of the year they would spend their breaks together and Eun Ae was glad that someone could chase away all the bad little monsters who wanted to torment her and her doll. More than that, she even made a promise to Daehyun to give up the doll to prove she's a big girl.

"You don't have to do it now, but in time, you have to let her grow, she has to go and make friends of her own, do you understand?", Daehyun explained to little Eun Ae who nodded and promise she will try.

Time passed and their friendship slowly faded. Perhaps Eun Ae left the doll, but Daehyun also left her. After years, they would greet each other in the hallways, but nothing more. That was until the second year of high school when Eun Ae, along with her best friend started visiting a group of talented boys. Eun Ae's friend had also been given by Mother Nature talent in dancing and her signing wasn't that bad either. The plan of those high-energy and dreaming teenagers was to build a coed group. Eun Ae, on the other hand, who lacked such abilities dedicated herself to supporting her friend, Sowon and little by little contribute to that group by promoting them on social media and doing any tiny thing they needed. There were two more girls excepting Eun Ae's friend and four boys in that group, Yongguk, Jonggup, Youngjae and by the grace of destiny, Daehyun. It was a taciturn and awkward relationship in the beginning as they both knew who they are, but didn't have the courage to initiate anything. In the end, Daehyun's jaunty personality won, as he had to ingratiate with his old friend who was in charge non-official to make sure they had a good environment to practice and a nice and rising popularity (in case his good looks didn't do enough).

There were timid attempts but it didn't take long for them to reconnect their old friendship. Friendships that are born when people are so young have a special, sweet taste. Maybe because we are in love with a candid memory, we don't think that those little candy-coated kids grew up to be adults who make mistakes. So, in order not taint the honeyed memory, people tend to demure the relationship between them. However, that was not the case for Daehyun and Eun Ae who discovered the hard way that kids and adults make different choices.

The group's goal was to win the school festival and as they practice, they could see it could be done fast and easy. Maybe because everything seemed to work to lenitive, they stopped practicing and turned to more underground places. There is where their young minds thought they'd find inspiration. From a daily practice, they rarely saw each other in the practice room. They would and see new places, especially in the evenings when darkness made everything more exciting and sometimes even during the day, skipping a few classes, ignoring Eun Ae's protests. Her conscience was tormented by the little sins she committed, but she felt that as long as she had Daehyun by her side, she could jump over any obstacle. They would often just talk until no words would come out of their tired mouths. Dreams, expectations, sources of sorrow and concerns, life and what is beyond it, they would cover random subjects and deepen their connection.

"Would you rather become a ghost or disappear for good?", Daehyun asked looking at the sunset. Death was a serious subject to be discussed by a pair of teenagers, but that was simply a result of curiosity. 

"I can't disappear, this soul of mine will continue annoying you for eternity", she , half believing what she had just said.

"The purpose of your existence isn't to annoy me", he replied laughing but enjoying the perspective of them being friend even afterlife.

"Then I'll just be reborn", she stated proudly.

"Sure, like there aren't enough bugs around", he responded gaining a light slap on the shoulder.

That laid-back style of chasing their dream caused the inevitable; they didn't win anything at the school competition. They were popular, yes, but what they realized as they were standing on the stage while other received prizes and diplomas was that more than pretty faces, people wanted substance. They had to work more and improve the dancing and vocal line.

After that failure it took some time to regroup. People try blaming the others for their mistakes and to avoid any more arguments, they stopped seeing each other for a while. Daehyun started to go further into the dark world. Eun Ae realized what was happening from the late phone calls she'd been receiving from him. He was calling her often, but he was never sober lately. It was a tough period; with that thought Eun Ae justified Daehyun's state. Supporting them was her job so she did what she knew best. Doing his homework and projects, covering him up when he was too hangover to come to school was a few things she did. It was starting to be a too mechanical action so she started to worry about her friend.

"This isn't right, Daehyun, you shouldn't be drunk in the middle of the day. And you're skipping school again.", Eun Ae whispered annoyed on the phone. She was going to her next class, but alone, without Daehyun.

"Relax, you're too hard on yourself, maybe you should have some.” he suggested and successfully made her angrier.

"I'm not covering you up anymore, Dae, come to your senses. There's still a chance for us and if you lose your voice we're screwed", she said being worried about their future together.

"You're not going to do my homework anymore? What a joke. Yolo, Eun Ae.", he shouted before laughing at God knows what. It was better he hung up because he made the angry fox come out of Eun Ae. She didn't like it when he spoke like that, but she didn't know what to do anymore.

They had another chance to perform and win at the city's festival, entering the competition as lucky losers. The local festival was held biannually, but they had to work tremendously harder, first of all, not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter