[2] prql

Of Storage Rooms and Spilled Secrets

I’ll remember you when I’ve forgotten all the rest. You to me were true. You to me were the best.
-Dylan Bob-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Having a photographic memory was both a blessing and a curse—well, at least to Joohyun. Because of her rare ability, she’s been constantly bullied when she was a kid. Her mind’s ability to remember even the smallest details of things made Joohyun special as a kid.

 

She was known as the teacher’s pet; her teachers praised her nonstop because of her ability. The kids within her age will bully her after. This was a constant cycle of Joohyun’s childhood.

 

And Joohyun didn’t try to fight the kids back. She thought that her classmates would become more aggressive of bullying her so she just let them be.

 

“Joohyun dear, why did you have so many bruises these days? Where did you get them?” Her mother inquired while treating the scratches in her knees. Of course, Joohyun would always try to come up with some believable excuses.

 

“I just tripped on a rock on my way here…” Joohyun winced in pain as her mother dabbed some cotton on her wound. Even though Joohyun was used on acquiring bruises from her classmates who were actually born from Satan, she was not used in the pain every time her mother would treat her wounds.

 

The truth was—Joohyun was commended again by her teacher that she topped all her subjects, having an A+ grade all-kill. And Joohyun knew what’s next; she knew that she couldn’t avoid her fate later.

 

And she’s right—after the class, she was dragged by her classmates and the next thing she knew was she’d received a painful jab on her knees making her kneel on the ground while some of her classmates grabbed a fistful of her hair and pulled it harshly.

 

Joohyun could only whimper in pain. She wanted to shout for help but her body made it impossible to do so. ‘But what’s so new about this...’ she thought.

 

Joohyun knew why her classmates were like this. It’s because there were jealous of her—there were envious of her ability. Every time she was praised by her teachers earned her another bruise to be treated.

 

She thought that there’s nothing she could do but she’d just cried it to sleep. She didn’t ask to be born with this ability in the first place but why is she getting punish for this? Is the world that unfair to her? Poor Joohyun had these thoughts running inside her head.

 

Because of that, Joohyun developed hatred since she was young. She couldn’t enjoy her childhood that much given that her classmates were all spawns of Satan—befriending her just for the sake of answering their assignments. After that, she was trashed out by her classmates by not letting her join to play outside. She’s always left out in their class; she’d try to entertain herself by solving some Sudoku puzzles inside the classroom. After finishing the whole book of Sudoku, she would stare at her classmates that were happily playing during their playtime.

 

She was a loner and she was used to that. The only people she could trust are her parents and her sweet loving grandparents who would constantly comfort her every time she’s down.

 

 

 

 

 

Years have passed and Joohyun developed a cold attitude towards her classmates. No one dared to befriend her because every time her classmates would try to talk to her, the intensity in Joohyun’s eyes that could almost spitfire would scare off her classmates.

 

She was still known as a teacher’s pet but she didn’t care. Her classmates hated her anyway.

 

She’s still a nine-year-old but she doesn’t think like one. Her IQ exceeded surpassing other third-graders in her class. She was told to accelerate her grade but she chose not to. She wanted to take her time.

 

Despite having a cold attitude, Joohyun wanted to have a friend but she thought that her classmates would take advantage of her so she opted to stay quiet.

 

Again, she was used to being alone—and lonely. Eating snacks alone in the classroom and having lunch in the canteen all by herself. Eventually, Joohyun was getting used by her routine. The bullying was reduced but she was constantly being stabbed in the back by her classmates—talking about her being arrogant about her grades.

 

 

 

 

“So you’re the Bae Joohyun they were talking about? No wonder that you’re the talk of the school. Aside from being a smart-, you also have the face to brag.” Aside from being intelligent, Joohyun was also mistreated by her classmates because of her beauty. She was blessed with beauty and brains which triggered some spiteful comments of her in her school. She chose not to tell her parents about her burden, she thought that she could handle all her problems alone.

 

“What’s with the silent treatment, princess? Don’t tell me that you’re scared?”  A fifth-grader gripped the collar of Joohyun’s uniform. She’s in an abandoned classroom situated far away from her main classroom. She just packed her belongings to the bag alone in the classroom when a group of boys suddenly held both her arms with much force, dragging her with him to God knows where.

 

When Joohyun didn’t respond to the thug—she meant the boy that was harassing her just now—the other thug slapped Joohyun’s cheek. It earned a painful groan from Joohyun. The boy tightened its grip to her collar, almost choking her to death. She badly wanted to scream for help but her strength left her body before she could do so.

 

The boy’s angry tone was barely audible to Joohyun’s hearing but she could hear him say that “Because of your smart- brain, we were pressured by our teachers—you grades were constantly being compared to ours—the teachers think highly of you and how your brain could easily surpass our grade—“ Joohyun couldn’t process some of the boy’s statement but she could tell that he was angry about her intelligence. It’s because of her damn photographic memory, again.

 

Joohyun was coughing painfully but the boy didn’t even bother and he just continuously gripping Joohyun’s neck, spouting hurtful comments Joohyun couldn’t comprehend as her body was about to give up from exhaustion. She couldn’t even fight back to them.

 

Joohyun was about to faint on the spot when the door of the classroom suddenly opened, revealing a girl with a flute in her hand. The girl’s eyes instantly widened when she realized that the boy was harassing Joohyun. The girl immediately threw the flute from one of the boy’s direction, hitting his head during the process.

 

“Bull’s eye!—I mean what are you doing to her?!” The girl bravely shouted and the boy quickly loosened her grip to Joohyun. The male students frantically ran outside the room and some almost tripped on their way. They left without saying a word.

 

“YAH! Come back here!!” The girl was about to chase the boy when she suddenly thought of that girl who was suffering from that boy’s grip. She immediately ran to her side and helped her sat up.

 

She was fanning Joohyun’s face using her hand when she asked, “Are you okay? Hold for a moment while I’ll call a teacher. Just stay right here.” The girl instantly got up but Joohyun grasped the girl’s hand before the girl could run away. Joohyun didn’t know why she did it but she suddenly doesn’t want to be alone inside the room.

 

The girl sensed Joohyun’s discomfort so she kneeled in one knee in front of Joohyun, slightly caressing the strands of Joohyun’s hair, “I’ll be back, I promise.” Then the girl instantly dashed away from the room to get some help.

 

 

 

Joohyun woke up lying on a bed inside the infirmary. Her head was too dizzy but she spotted her parents beside her with her teacher.

 

“Joohyun! My God, you scared me. Your teacher called me and said you were confined in the school’s infirmary. How are you now? Do you feel anything weird?” Joohyun’s mother frantically asked. Her parents arrived just as Joohyun woke up from her sleep. Apparently, Joohyun’s body couldn’t take it anymore so she fainted in the room. Luckily, the teacher just arrived on time just as Joohyun’s body fell to the floor.

 

“N-no, I’m fine. Just a little bit thirsty—“ Joohyun’s words were cut short when her mother suddenly brought out bottled water from her bag and she practically shoved it to Joohyun’s mouth. Joohyun could only cough as a response while her mother feverishly wiped some excess water in Joohyun’s mouth continuously mouthing a “sorry” as an apology. Joohyun could only giggle at her mother’s actions.

 

“How are you, little one? Feeling any better?” Her father inquired while he patted her head for comfort.

 

“Yes, A bit b-better than earlier I guess—“ she was about to finish her sentence when she saw her teacher walked towards their direction.

 

“Joohyun, are you feeling better now?” Her teacher asked carefully. Her father could only glance at her teacher incredulously ‘that’s what I asked my daughter earlier...’

 

Joohyun could sense her father’s thoughts as she unconsciously let out a chuckle. She nodded to her teacher, “Yes, teacher. I’m feeling a bit better now. Thank you for your concern.”

 

“I’m glad to hear that but there’s one thing I want to ask. What were you doing in that room earlier? It’s fortunate that there’s someone who saw you at that time or else, you could’ve been in big trouble.”

 

Joohyun had noticed the flick of confusion in her parent’s eyes. Uh-oh, she didn’t want her parents to know the roller-coaster ride she rode because of her classmates just yet. Joohyun panicked at the thought that her parents could transform from being lovely and caring to monster freaks real quick when they find out.

 

“What do you mean by that, Sir?” Her father asked her teacher. ‘Noooo don’t tell them please!’ Joohyun practically shouted from her mind.

 

“Actually, someone saw your daughter in an abandoned room being choked up by a group of fifth-grade students. But don’t worry, I’ve tracked them and the school will reprimand them of their actions.” Joohyun’s parents sighed in relief but still, they are confused. Joohyun has no choice but to tell her parents the truth.

 

Her parents were furious as soon as she finished telling the story and she was right—her parents were enraged about it and the teacher was shocked because he wasn’t even aware of Joohyun’s situation, not until now.

 

She didn’t tell her parents about her situation until now because she didn’t want them to blame themselves. She realized that it wasn’t her parents’ fault that Joohyun was being bullied in the school.

 

The teacher was baffled at that instant when Joohyun’s parents decided to transfer her to another school right away. Joohyun practically widened her eyes, shocked at her parent’s sudden decision. She tried to convince her parents especially her mother that she was slightly doing well and she doesn’t want to change her environment as she finds it too much of a hassle. But her parents wouldn’t even budge. There were practically having a feud inside the infirmary when suddenly, a beautiful voice interrupted in the middle of their conversation.

 

“I’ll take care of her! I will not let her be involved in any trouble, Sir, Ma’am. I promise!” Joohyun’s mother glanced at the girl who suddenly barged at the infirmary, now standing beside Joohyun’s teacher.

 

‘What an innocent soul...’ Joohyun’s mother thought, unconsciously curling her lips into a smile.

 

Joohyun could sense her teacher was sighing in relief. But the question was—who was this girl?

 

“Oh, this is Son Seungwan and she’s a first grader in this school. She’s the one who saved you earlier, Joohyun.” Joohyun could only open in bewilderment.

 

“That’s why I find you fascinating earlier when you constantly took a peak on the curtain. I didn’t know that you’re such an angel, dear. Thank you so much for saving our Joohyun.” Her mother softly said while gazing at the little girl named Seungwan lovingly.

 

Seungwan bowed to Joohyun’s parents in a 90-degree angle then she let out a wide reassuring smile, showing her perfectly clear white teeth. Joohyun’s parents giggled at the sight of Seungwan.

 

Joohyun was still bewildered when Joohyun’s father nudged her elbow. She then frantically mouthed a ‘thank you’ to Seungwan, bowing her head during the process.

 

The most fascinating was—when Joohyun looked at Seungwan in the eye, she can’t help but curl her lips in amusement. This girl, Seungwan has the power to light up the entire atmosphere of the infirmary when she smiles brightly.

 

In the end, Joohyun had finally convinced her parents to let her stay in the school given that Joohyun would tell parents if someone was bothering her again. Joohyun nodded in agreement as she sighed in relief. ‘That was close...’

 

Just then, Seungwan bid them goodbye as her parents were about to fetch her from school. Joohyun’s parents apologized to her teacher because of their impulsive decision and the teacher politely dismissed it, saying that he understood where they’re coming from.

 

Joohyun was about to stand up from the bed when her father patted her hair again, “You’ve got yourself a knight now, Joohyun.” Her father said playfully, ruffling her hair with amusement.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seungwan certainly kept her promise. After the incident, there were no students who’d try to harass her in some way—not when Seungwan was constantly by her side be it to lunch and recess breaks. Seungwan would even wait at the school gate every first thing in the morning to greet her cheerfully.

 

But the truth was—Seungwan’s parents were one of the shareholders of their school. Anyone who would go or fight against their daughter would be given a high chance for possible expulsion.

 

Seungwan was not some kind of bully though. In fact, she’s the most kind and cheerful student in their school. Aside from that, she’s also known for being intelligent and beautiful despite her young age. Everyone would like to befriend her for some good reasons. Unlike Joohyun, she was the polar opposite of Seungwan.

 

Seungwan was a ball of sunshine to everybody while her, she’s just a ball that anyone would toss in a trash bin after she’s been utilized.

 

And also, Seungwan had always reminded her that bullies will do anything to get someone's attention, even if it is harmful. Joohyun kept that in mind. That is why as much as possible, she wouldn't try to entertain someone's antics because it will only add fuel to the fire.

 

Because of some reasons, Joohyun wondered why Seungwan would waste her precious time being with Joohyun when she had her group of friends in her class. But she just let the younger girl be, thinking that she’d be tired of Joohyun’s company soon but Seungwan was stubborn; she wouldn’t let Joohyun be alone in the school premises. Seungwan would always find time to keep Joohyun some company.

 

Joohyun first thought that maybe she had inconvenienced Seungwan somehow but the younger girl would constantly reassure her that she had enjoyed Joohyun’s company every single day they’d spent together. Joohyun didn’t know why but she felt comfortable and she felt safe in Seungwan’s presence.

 

During lunch breaks, Seungwan would always welcome Joohyun and she’d pulled her towards an open field of their school. They would sit on some benches and Seungwan would always offer her homecooked lunch to share with Joohyun.

“My mom made these but I also helped her with the work. I hope you’ll like it, Joohyun-unnie!” Seungwan said with a smile. Joohyun mouthed her thanks as she’d took a bite from Seungwan’s food.

 

Joohyun can’t help but giggle at the sight of Seungwan who was grinning like a Cheshire cat every time Joohyun would eat Seungwan’s lunch. It’s one of the mundane stuff they usually do but to them, it was a special moment they both treasured. It was one of the moments they felt that they complete each other’s presence.

 

 

 

Seungwan would also sing for her whenever they were both alone. She had a honey-dripping voice, it was so sweet and warm and Joohyun can’t help but close her eyes. Seungwan’s voice was like therapy to her—her voice was too soothing to calm Joohyun’s mind. Joohyun would be smiling from ear to ear after Seungwan would finish a song.

 

Joohyun would somehow try to convince Seungwan to sing on one of their programs at school but Seungwan would always politely decline.

 

“I want to sing for people whom I felt comfortable…and you’re one of them, Joohyun-unnie.” Seungwan stated before grinning at Joohyun.

 

“I’m happy to hear that, but I want to see you sing in the stage too. Don’t worry, I’ll cheer for you!” Joohyun responded playfully but she knew that she couldn’t convince Seungwan. She just tried to tease the younger girl.

 

“Oh, I love the thought of that, unnie! Maybe, I could do that—as long as Joohyun-unnie would be there to cheer for me.” Seungwan said with a cheerful tone. Joohyun just beamed happily on Seungwan as she ruffled her head playfully.

 

“I’ll always be your cheerleader, Wan-ah.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Wan, I want to ask you something if that’s okay?” Seungwan was trying to ride a swing at the playground when Joohyun suddenly asked her something.

 

“Fire away, Joohyun-unnie!” Seungwan was really enjoying her ride on the swing. It was not her first time riding one but she felt that it was more fun when Joohyun was with her.

 

“Why are you doing these? I mean, I’m thankful and all but don’t burden yourself because of me—or do you perhaps, take pity of me?” Joohyun smoothly asked, casually swinging her seat swiftly beside Seungwan’s seat. If only she could also swing her worries away too, she would ride the swing every second of the day.

 

Joohyun felt that Seungwan’s seat halted to a stop so the former tried to prop her feet to the ground to slow the speed of her swing. Joohyun wondered why Seungwan stopped her swing because clearly, she was enjoying her ride earlier. ‘Maybe it was because of my question,’

 

“You don’t need to answer—“ Joohyun was about to retract her question when she suddenly felt a tight hug behind her back. Seungwan then nestled her head on Joohyun’s neck, “Joohyun-unnie, what more should I do to make your insecurities go away?” Seungwan softly said, her voice seemed to melt Joohyun’s soul.

 

Joohyun felt something that tugged her heart. Seungwan’s right—she had much insecurity. It was because of her past experiences. Many people have betrayed her and if Seungwan would also betray and leave her like other people, she doesn’t know what to do. Maybe she would hate the world more and she would render herself a hopeless case.

 

It was then she realized she was hopelessly attached to Seungwan. Her fear of losing her crippled into her mind, her heart was clenching painfully.

 

“I want to be with you because I felt comfortable when I’m with you. You made me happy, Joohyun-unnie.” Seungwan continued. Joohyun felt her heart soared to the highest skies. Strangely, Joohyun didn’t felt cold and lonely anymore.

 

“Or perhaps, does my presence bother you, Joohyun-unnie?” Seungwan added. Her voice seemed to falter, losing its confidence.

 

Joohyun suddenly pulled away from the younger girl’s hug. Then she shifted from her seat to face Seungwan whose sadness and confusion wrote all over her face.

 

She quickly hugged the younger girl, she let Seungwan’s head nestled on her chest, “You made me happy too, Wan-ah, very much. And you’re not a bother to me. If you keep thinking that you were bothering me, and then keep doing so. I want you to bother me my whole life, Seungwan-ah, because I gave you my permission to do so.” Joohyun chuckled at her own statement. There were both greasy at that moment but they don’t seem to mind. It’s their moment after all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

One day, Seungwan came running to Joohyun at the playground with tears running down the younger girl’s eyes. The playground was their rendezvous to play if it’s weekends or if there were no classes. It was not far away from their homes so it was convenient for them.

 

Joohyun enveloped Seungwan into a warm embrace. Joohyun made the both of them sit on a wooden bench, “What’s wrong, Wan? What happened?” Joohyun cooed at her while she gently patted her back. Seungwan continuously bawled her eyes out, staining Joohyun’s shirt with wet tears during the process.

 

“T-they made fun of me a-again, Joohyun-unnie,” Seungwan paused, blowing her nose on Joohyun’s shirt.  Joohyun just ran her fingers on the strands of Seungwan’s hair, caressing it lightly.

 

She realized whom Seungwan was talking about. It was Seungwan’s stubborn neighbors who’d constantly for no reasons. She knew that Seungwan couldn’t fight her neighbors back because she’s too innocent and kind to do so.

 

“They said that no one would ever want to be with me. They also said I’m too annoying as a playmate—“ Joohyun would love to teach Seungwan’s neighbors a lesson with some violence; punching them in the process but she knew Seungwan wouldn’t like that so for now, there’s nothing she could do but to comfort her and be there for her.

 

So before Seungwan could finish her sentence, Joohyun put her hands on Seungwan’s cheek, lifting her head to meet her gaze. “Don’t listen to them, Wan. You have your classmates,” Joohyun interrupted. She could still see the uncertainty on Seungwan’s face.

 

“You have me,” Joohyun added, making Seungwan beam at her happily. Joohyun sighed in relief knowing that she’d lifted Seungwan’s mood somehow.

 

Seungwan buried her head on Joohyun’s chest again while she carefully slid her fingers on Joohyun’s hands to intertwine them.

 

“I know, Joohyun-unnie. You also have me.” Seungwan said. The warmth of her voice was enough for Joohyun to calm her nerves down.

 

“And if it will make your mood happier, I would promise you one thing,” Seungwan lifted her face to gaze at Joohyun. The latter softly cupped Seungwan’s cheek. Her gaze seemed to linger on Seungwan, swiftly examining Seungwan’s face and how she found her features too adorable to see.

 

“When the time comes we would be responsible adults enough in the future, I would marry you. In that way, I’ll always be with you.” Joohyun didn’t mind herself being too greasy but for Seungwan she would do anything, even if she would cringe her fingers for being too cheesy.

 

 

 

 

 

“Teacher, what do you mean by that?” Joohyun asked her teacher in bewilderment. She couldn’t believe what her teacher had said just now. Joohyun’s face was covered with sweat as she pants heavily from running.

 

“I know that you know what I mean, Joohyun. Haven’t you heard it from her?” Her teacher casually asked but also wonders why her student didn’t know because Joohyun and Seungwan were known to be very best of friends. Above anything else, Joohyun would be the first one to hear the news from Seungwan.

 

“I didn’t know, teacher, not until I heard from my classmates that she’ll drop out from school. I wanted to confirm it from you if it was true and now, I think I knew the answer.” Joohyun said in a low tone, her voice laced with bitterness in them.

 

Apparently, Joohyun heard some gossips from her classmates that Seungwan would drop out from school with such short notice. Joohyun couldn’t believe the news. They were just happily playing at the playground the other day. She instantly runs her way to Seungwan’s classroom and she asked her classmates about Seungwan’s whereabouts. Unfortunately, her classmates didn’t know so she went directly to the faculty room. She asked a few teachers inside and it seems that the faculty members knew about Seungwan’s situation. Her shoulders felt a sudden slump and her heart was becoming numb.

 

And now, Joohyun couldn’t understand herself. She had grown attached to Seungwan for several months and one day, she’d just leave her alone without notice. Her heart was constricting in pain and there it was—the tears came down in her eyes, streaming out like waterfalls.

 

Her teacher tried to console the crying Joohyun inside the faculty room. He would constantly give Joohyun some water to drink in order to calm her down. But Joohyun knew better that there’s nothing that would ease the pain she felt.

 

‘I thought we were best friends, I thought we would always be together but now, I felt useless. Why didn’t she tell me about this?”

 

These questions kept occupying in Joohyun’s mind. This resulted in Joohyun skipping a day in the class.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The skies were freely drifting from the sky, tainted from bluish to reddish-orange as the sun slowly sets down the horizon. The rustling of leaves can be heard amidst the chattering noise of birds flying in the sky and Joohyun—she was riding a swing absentmindedly; her face stained with dry tears and her thoughts were drifting somewhere else.

 

After she ran away from school this morning, she quickly went to the playground and cried her heart out. She couldn’t take the idea that Seungwan never told her about the news even though she’s a friend. Then it hit her—maybe Seungwan didn’t even consider her as a friend.

 

‘I should’ve expected this. I should never have trusted people again…’ Joohyun sighed in grief. She propped her feet to the ground, halting the swing to a stop. She picked up her bag from the ground.

 

Joohyun was exhausted for the day so she decided that she should just go home. She would think of another excuse to her parents on why her eyes were puffy—she wouldn’t even dare to say that she cried because Seungwan left her without saying a word. She’ll just say that her eyes were bitten by some bees on her way home.

 

Joohyun was about to will her legs to walk away from the playground when she heard someone calling her name faintly from somewhere. She turned around and her eyes instantly widened with shock.

 

She just saw Seungwan running towards her at high speed. Joohyun was still baffled when Seungwan quickly encircled her tiny arms around Joohyun’s shoulder and enveloped her into a tight hug.

 

“Thank goodness, I’ve found you here.  I was worried sick because you’re not in school and we called your parents but you’re not home either. Why were you skipping school today, Joohyun-unnie?!” Seungwan frantically asked, her worried tone was evident in her voice.

 

Seungwan felt her shirt were wet so she instantly pulled away from her hug. It was heart-breaking for Seungwan to see Joohyun cry helplessly; this was the first time she saw Joohyun cried like that—and it was because of her.

 

Seungwan explained her side of the story. Apparently, her parents made plans to transfer to overseas next year. She was about to break it to Joohyun but it wasn’t final yet so she decided to tell her when her parents’ decision would be final. And then earlier, her parents suddenly woke her up from her sleep. They instructed Seungwan to pack her clothes immediately as they have a flight this evening. Seungwan can’t seem to process the situation but she had no choice but to pack her things up.

 

Seungwan’s parents told her that they already called the school and they told the principal that their daughter would drop-out from school. Upon mentioning school, Seungwan suddenly remembered Joohyun. She would want to meet her now to tell her the news and bid her goodbye to her but her parents will only let her after she’d pack her things. It took her a whole afternoon to finish packing.

 

Seungwan went to school after to meet Joohyun but her teachers told her that Joohyun had skipped class. She was shocked to hear that but Joohyun’s teacher immediately reasoned out that it was because of Seungwan’s drop-out news circulating around the school. Seungwan pleaded her teacher to call Joohyun’s parents. They quickly answered but Joohyun wasn’t home.

 

Seungwan was very worried for her friend now, ‘Where are you, Joohyun-unnie? I’m seriously going nuuuuts now.’ Then an idea struck Seungwan—how could she possibly forget that?

 

She told her parents to wait for her at home as she was about to go somewhere. Before her parents could even respond, she dashed her way to the playground.

 

 

 

 

 

Seungwan felt Joohyun had calmed down from crying after explaining her story. Seungwan didn’t notice that her tears were streaming down from her face, mirroring Joohyun’s.

 

Joohyun had understood Seungwan’s situation now and she felt relieved because she would only leave her because of her parents, not with the morbid reasons Joohyun thought of earlier.

 

Joohyun wiped her tears from her shirt but she was still sad because she would miss Seungwan so much. It has been only a few months but they have developed a strong bond together. Joohyun felt her heart suddenly dropped meters below the ground and Seungwan sensed it, so she pulled Joohyun into another embrace, reassuring her that she would be back as soon as possible. But the thing was, Seungwan didn’t know when she would come back and she also didn’t know the details of their flight because her parents wouldn’t tell her and that made it harder for the both of them.

 

Joohyun suddenly comes up with a conclusion. Though it’s vague, still it’s the only thing they could do for now, “I’ll wait for you, even if takes years so don’t pressure yourself, okay? Enjoy your time there but promise me one thing…” Seungwan hummed, patiently waiting for her to continue.

 

“Please don’t forget me,” Joohyun said softly while she gazed at Seungwan’s eyes that were gleaming with hope.

 

“Of course I wouldn’t forget you, Joohyun-unnie. You’re my best unnie ever!” Joohyun can’t help but giggle when Seungwan put their pinkies together for a pinky swear. At that moment, Joohyun felt something stranger; even though they linked their pinkies together, it was like their hearts were connected at that moment. She felt her heart had doubled its heartbeat.

 

Then Joohyun thought of something. She showed the necklace that has a ring on it. The ring carried a lot of sentiments for Joohyun because her grandmother had given it to her on her 4th birthday.

 

It was an old gold ring band from her grandmother. Though it was her grandmother’s wedding ring, she’d made it customized just for her granddaughter’s birthday. Joohyun’s initials were engraved in it together with her birthdate. Her grandmother gave it to her together with a necklace, as Joohyun can’t wear the ring because of her tiny hands.

 

She decided to give it to Seungwan as a token of their friendship in the hopes that Seungwan would keep her promise. Seungwan was truly grateful for Joohyun’s gift and promised her that she would take care of Joohyun’s gift.

 

Joohyun put the necklace delicately around Seungwan’s neck, admiring how the necklace fitted Seungwan’s features perfectly.

 

They hugged tightly as the sunset witnessed their sad farewells. Although it was hard for them to separate at that very playground as Seungwan would have to run her way to her home to catch the flight, they painfully willed themselves to bid their goodbyes; sweet promises, I’ll miss you’s, and take cares were said as they exchanged last warm embraces to each other.

 

When Seungwan broke from their hug as she ran away from her, Joohyun’s feet were still rooted on the ground, still unable to process everything. The only thing that practically made sense to her was Seungwan was leaving her but she would wait for her just like she said earlier and hoping that Seungwan would not forget her.

 

 

 

 

“Yah! I heard some gossips that you rejected the most popular jock in our campus. What were you exactly thinking, Irene?!”

 

“You forgot the ‘unnie’ part after my name, Sooyoung.”

 

“Irene-‘unnie’ or whatever, are you nuts? It was your chance to level up your relationship status but you chose to be miserable also known as being a single hag—Ouch! What was that for?” Sooyoung grimaced as Joohyun—also known as Irene—smacked Sooyoung’s head before she could even finish her sentence.

 

“I didn’t find him appealing enough,” Irene reasoned out. “And he’s one of those arrogant bastards who’d only want to get in my pants.” She continued before she sips her drink.

 

“Oh, come on! We’re college students now and we’re supposed to enjoy these kinds of kinds of stuff like flirting and se—“ Sooyoung was smacked in the head twice she could feel a slight lump on her head.

 

“Watch your mouth, Sooyoung. It’s not appropriate to talk about that if we’re in front of the food.”

 

“Geez! You know what, I know why you’re grumpy because you haven’t got laid—OUCH THAT HURTS!” That earned Sooyoung her third smack on her head. ‘She’s incorrigible,’ Irene thought as she took a bite on her sandwich.

 

The café was packed with students as usual. Chattering noises from the students could be overheard as they exchange some gossip news; students shouting whenever they see some of their friends inside. The café was usually chaos and nothing was new to Irene, as she had been visiting the café on her campus for almost four years now.

 

 

Her parents decided to migrate to another city when she was twelve-years-old. Joohyun thought that it would be for the best; she wants to transfer to another school to start anew as she was getting tired of all the teasing and minor bullying from her classmates. She tried to forget her painful childhood experiences but she knew she couldn’t do it—curse her photographic memory for that.

 

Her experiences from middle school to college were fun though because her classmates didn’t know that she had a rare ability. All they know was she was very smart that she had graduated from middle school to high school garnering the highest honors.

 

Her classmates were still intimidated by her even she reached college. That’s because she would always mask her face with a cold expression. She could be silly sometimes but she was still intimidating and hostile to some. She couldn’t afford to be taken advantage of again just like the old times.

 

The only one who could stand her hot-and-cold attitude was Park Sooyoung whom she met when she was in her first year of high school. Apparently, she saved a girl who happened to be bullied for extortion by some female students outside of their school and those bullies happened to be from her school judging from their uniform. Sooyoung was only in her first year of middle school at that time and she was alone in an alley together with those female students. Luckily, Joohyun saved her in a nick of time by calling some guards to arrest those bullies. Joohyun was too weak enough to save Sooyoung by herself.

 

From then on, Sooyoung would always coerce Joohyun to go on a hang out with her every weekend—to repay Joohyun of the kind act, she said. Eventually, she knew Joohyun’s attitude very well and she could withstand Joohyun’s presence even though it gets chilly sometimes. But both girls knew that they were grateful for each other’s presence.

 

 

 

Joohyun’s parents were delighted enough that their daughter has a new friend to hang out with that her parents invited Sooyoung on their home.

 

“New? So you have a friend before, unnie?” Sooyoung asked but before Joohyun could answer, her parents interrupted her.

 

“Ah yes…our Joohyun has a friend before. That kid was too sweet and cute; they were inseparable when they were kids.” Joohyun let out a sigh as Sooyoung was bewildered that Joohyun could make friends before despite her cold aura.

 

Joohyun knew that she couldn’t avoid that topic for a long time so she told Sooyoung her memorable childhood. That’s where Sooyoung knew about Joohyun’s precious childhood friend, Seungwan.

“Wuhoo, a friend you say,” Sooyoung snickered before she felt a painful smack on the head by Joohyun.

 

 

 

She also decided to be called ‘Irene’ when she was in high school. She’s not exactly the epitome of ‘peace’ just like the Goddess but she was too quiet when she was in high school like she was on her own peaceful world that her teacher in literature decided to call her ‘Irene’. She had kept that name until she reached college.

 

But as time goes by, Joohyun didn’t ever forget her childhood friend whom she had promised to marry in the future—mainly because of her photographic memory. It was her childhood friend, Son Seungwan. She couldn’t help but blush at the very detailed childhood memory. Thinking about it now, she felt embarrassed on what she’d promised to Seungwan before but she would—and she will keep her promise until her last breath.

 

Memories with Seungwan would occasionally cross Joohyun’s mind every now and then, constantly reminding and rewinding it whenever she would go on a date with someone. Eventually, Joohyun had given up on dating and she chose to focus more on her studies to make her parents proud—and to find Seungwan’s whereabouts as soon as she finishes her college degree. She terribly missed Seungwan very much until now.

 

 

Irene had her fair share of dates before and she would instantly reject a person if she’s not comfortable to hang out with. Because of this, Irene was proud to call herself single since birth. She didn’t know why she wasn’t comfortable with anyone’s presence; well, she wasn’t aware that Seungwan has always been the one unknowingly occupying Irene’s heart until now.

 

Because of this, Sooyoung would constantly because of Irene being single ever since she was on her mother’ womb. Sooyoung would always encourage Irene to go on several dates and get herself a boyfriend but Irene was contented on staying single for now. Sooyoung already had a hunch on why Irene was being like that—but she chose to keep mum about it as she wanted Irene to explore her own feelings.

 

 

 

Irene enjoyed her college years pretty much, garnering much attention on their campus because of her stunning looks and on top of that, she was known for being the most intelligent of their campus; she was the university’s prized trophy.

 

She could still hear some gossips about her but it was mostly positive unlike before. That “arrogant” word was still present in some gossips but she didn’t care. She was used to it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Irene-unnie, please join me on this subject. You still have free electives, right? Treat it as your farewell gift to me, pretty please?” Irene couldn’t refuse her friend when she was begging with her puppy eyes minus the part when Sooyoung continuously shakes both Irene’s arms.

 

Irene was now graduating this year and she thought that taking an elective that was far related to her course with Sooyoung wouldn’t be bad for an experience so she took the risk. It was the first and last subject were she would be classmates with Sooyoung after all.

 

 

Irene had just entered their classroom and Sooyoung quickly drags her into a seat beside her. The atmosphere of the classroom turned from being noisy to a deafening silence as soon as she took a sit. Eventually, the students in the classroom buzzed like noisy bees, chattering and wondering why Irene was in their class. It was far from reality but the students felt a miracle had just happened because they happened to be classmates with the ‘Goddess of Peace’, the one and only Bae Irene. Silent squeals were heard inside the classroom as Irene closes her eyes, silently rethinking her choices on why she had accepted Sooyoung’s request in the first place.

 

Later, another student entered the classroom. The students stood in awe as the girl strutted her way into an empty seat beside the window, the dark tresses of hair were slightly blown from the wind showing her stunning side face profile.

 

Irene wondered why the whole class was being silent for a while and seeing Sooyoung had almost dropped her jaw, she curiously took a peek at her back.

 

It was then Irene knew what exactly had just happened—she accidentally locked gazes with the girl as soon as she turned her back.

 

Those orbs—it screamed familiarity to her as she felt the surge of emotions were instantly drowning her being to the point that she can’t breathe. She felt the palpitations of her heart had tripled its speed.

 

‘N-no way, s-she’s back…’

 

 

 

 

 

“No, her name’s Wendy. Not Seungwan, Irene-unnie.”

“B-but she held so much resemblance to Seungwan. That’s—it’s just impossible.” Irene had been tailing the girl in her class named Wendy. Irene was so sure that it was Seungwan—her face screamed so much familiarity with her childhood friend. And the way Irene would try to get close to her, those familiar emotions were creeping into her heart. Whenever she would be around Seungwan, her heart would recognize the familiar warmth that enveloped her whole being just like before. She couldn’t forget the feelings she felt and the memories she shared with Seungwan, blame her photographic memory for that.

 

When Irene took an opportunity to talk to Wendy in the class, Wendy doesn’t seem to recognize her. And the necklace, it was nowhere to be found on her neck. Don’t ask, Irene was constantly eyeing Wendy’s neck whenever she had a chance. Seemed stalker-ish and a lowkey ert you are, Joohyun.

 

Irene gave up the idea of Wendy being her childhood friend. But she can’t really ignore those butterflies in her stomach, constantly bugging her whenever Wendy was close to Irene’s vicinity.

 

This was the first time Irene was curious about a person and on top of that, it was a girl. Sooyoung wasn’t shocked by the news. Sooyoung has this feeling that Irene would possibly swing on both ways reckoning that Irene had this childhood crush on Seungwan and Irene wasn’t aware of that—maybe not now but eventually. Irene was determined to know the girl more, never mind that her heart would do somersaults every time Wendy would be near her.

 

Sooyoung asked Irene at some point if she was reminded of her childhood friend, Seungwan, to her classmate, Wendy. Irene shrugged off her idea. Even though Wendy held so much resemblance to Seungwan, she felt the former was different to the latter although she found Wendy’s cheeks really adorable just like her childhood friend.

 

 

 

Irene knew at this point that she screwed really bad. After the stunt she pulled at the café earlier, she badly wanted to wish that the ground would open and swallow her whole.

 

‘Joohyun, you stupid! Why did you do that to her?! Now she would think that I’m such a conceited !’ Irene thought as her mind were stressed, the way she acted up to Wendy earlier like an idiot keep occupying Irene’s mind.

 

Sooyoung laughed like a lunatic in front of Irene after she witnessed the incident at the café earlier. She thought it was too hilarious seeing Irene in a panic and stressed state today.

 

‘Oh, this is what Irene looking-like-a-lovesick-puppy looks like,’ Sooyoung thought amusingly.

Irene’s current state today was really Park Sooyoung’s cup of tea.

 

 

 

 

 

Irene didn’t know why—or did she just thought that the idea of annoying Wendy all throughout her remaining days at the university seemed like a fun idea? Probably yes.

 

Irene would wear that satisfied smirk on her face whenever Wendy would react to her crazy antics. Wendy’s would always sport that annoying expression on her face and Irene would always find it cute and adorable. Irene couldn’t stop annoying her—and she was smart enough to realize that it was the only way Wendy would notice her. ‘By all means, I would do everything to catch your attention. If I would be gentle and kind like everybody else, maybe you would try to take advantage of me.’

 

And furthermore, Seungwan had told her when they were kids that bullies will try to get someone's attention even if they would have to be mean in the process—and she thought that Wendy would remember her if she would try to annoy her— if Wendy was really Seungwan, her childhood friend.

 

Wendy would always try to ask her intentions or what would she gain if she would constantly bother her every single time. Irene would act as if she heard nothing when in fact, she was scared to tell her the truth. She was afraid to trust people again that of course, Sooyoung was an exception. She thought that people would leave her again after she’d been completely attached to them and the most terrifying part was—maybe she would leave later as Seungwan did to her. Don’t get her wrong, she was still waiting for Seungwan patiently but she can’t help for feeling insecure—maybe Seungwan had forgotten her a long ago and maybe her love life had prospered today—why would you think of her love life, Joohyun?!

 

It’s not even your business! Poor Irene would just sulk all her saddening thoughts in the corner of her room.

 

She felt bad for herself because no matter how hard she’d try to forget her painful past experiences, it wouldn’t let her mind leave very easy just like everybody else—this was the downside of Irene’s ability and she hated herself for that. Irene felt the life was very unfair to her—Irene would remember people but they couldn’t remember her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Irene was trying to control her emotions from bursting when Wendy was about to slap her. Seeing Wendy’s eyes would about to cry tears because of her, Irene tried to control herself from hugging Wendy so she just tightened her grip on Wendy’s wrist. She badly wanted to rub her back and just tell her the truth but the other side of her mind said otherwise. She quickly left Wendy after that incident. After she went home, she quickly went to bed as she rethinks her life choices. She doesn’t intend to reach this kind of impression to Wendy but she thought that maybe annoying her was a bad idea after all. ‘You have crossed the line, Joohyun,’

 

After the incident, Wendy tried to avoid Irene at all costs and Irene sensed this. And because of that, Irene was back on annoying her just like that. She didn’t want Wendy to avoid her. ‘Even if you look like a jerk to her, Joohyun?’ But no, this thought didn’t cross Irene’s mind. And she was about to taste her own medicine when a student named Kang Seulgi confronted her one day. She was twice as shocked to know Wendy’s situation as told by Wendy’s friend, Seulgi.

 

Seulgi narrated Wendy’s past condition to Irene; Spouting hurtful comments to Irene whenever she saw the band-aids on Wendy’s delicate fingers from washing her uniforms too much. She wasn’t even treated in her home like that. Seulgi stressed to her that Irene was slowly burdening Wendy.

 

“Luckily, Wendy hadn’t given up on you and she would think of positive situations whenever you’d bother her, thinking that you’d change eventually. Wendy was so good acting up nice to other people in contrast on what she really feels.  And as her best friend, please don’t bother her anymore. Don’t let Wendy’s life even more miserable.”

 

“Please stop acting like a jerk to her and leave her alone, Senior.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Irene was walking lifelessly along the hallway; one could say that Irene’s soul has left her body judging the way Irene walking absentmindedly in the hallway. Her mind was drifting elsewhere—or her mind just recently gave up on her. ‘You’re a terrible jerk, Joohyun. What have you done to her?!’ These thoughts kept running Irene’s mind. She’s not aware of Wendy’s pain, and she hated herself for that.

 

‘That’s because you’re just thinking of yourself, idiot.’

 

‘I didn’t mean to end it that way…’

 

Her morbid thoughts kept invading her mind until she came across the hallway—she saw a girl lying lifelessly on the floor and, her things were scattered on the floor. The girl wasn’t far from where she’s standing so quickly ran towards the girl. She was about to lift the girl from the floor when she saw the girl’s face. She was dumbfounded for seconds; her heart palpitations had increased its speed because of the sudden rush of nervousness.

 

‘No, Wendy! Hang in there!’

 

She quickly lifted Wendy in her arms and carried her to the infirmary in bridal’s style. Irene has no time minding for students who eyed them with curiosity. Her first concern was Wendy’s health.

 

‘Screw gossips. Wendy was and will be my first priority.’ Her mind spoke so much determination.

 

‘Oh, Joohyun. What have you gotten yourself into? Looks like you have fallen hopelessly into deepest pits of love now.’

 

At that moment, it was the first time she had completely forgotten about her childhood crush, Seungwan.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Irene was currently in the infirmary with Wendy lying asleep on the bed. She softly clutched the latter’s hand and squeezed it lightly. Wendy was immediately treated by the nurse after she was brought to the infirmary.

 

“Thank goodness you’re okay. What if you got a concussion on your head or a fracture on your arm?” Irene sighed heavily as she knew she couldn’t get any response from Wendy. She can’t bear the sight of Wendy being hurt like that. Her heart automatically clenched in pain.

 

The nurse had informed Irene earlier that Wendy needs to take at least two weeks off from school to let her body heal. The nurse immediately reasoned out and assured her that Wendy only acquired superficial scratches—seeing Irene was about to panic just in a matter of seconds.

 

Irene felt that an anvil has been lifted out of her chest. She sighed in relief knowing Wendy would be okay.

 

But she knew Wendy’s emotional distress would never heal because of Irene’s presence. Even though it was hard for Irene, she came to a painful conclusion.

 

She clutched Wendy’s hand tightly, holding it tightly as if she was holding her life on the line. “I’m sorry if I caused you pain, Wendy. I was blind to notice that you were hurting because of me but all I want from you is your attention…” Irene whispered softly to Wendy. She knew Wendy couldn’t hear her but she thought it would be better that way. She silently got up from her seat and she went to the nurse, pleading to hide her identity in case Wendy would ask who brought her to the infirmary. Although the nurse was confused, she complied with Irene’s request.

 

With a heavy heart, Irene made her way to the door. She was still reluctant in her decision but for Wendy’s sake, she would do everything even if it means she’d avoid her.

 

Taking the last peek on Wendy, a smile unconsciously crept into her face.

 

‘Take care Wendy…’ was Irene’s last thought before she finally exited the infirmary.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You’ve been busy these past few days, unnie. What are you up to?” Sooyoung saw Irene inside the library again, doing some stuff she doesn’t usually do.

 

Seeing Irene so focused on her task, she realized that Irene was scribbling something on a piece of paper. Sooyoung quickly smirked at her. “I see. You’ve been sending some notes to Wendy again, eh? I never knew that you were such a thoughtful classmate until now, unnie.” Sooyoung remarked, catching the attention of Irene.

 

“It was just a kind gesture, Sooyoung. I felt bad for her if she couldn’t catch up to our lessons because her body was still recovering…”

 

“Well, it was not even your fault why she fell on the floor in the first place—”

 

“Park Sooyoung…” Seeing Irene used that kind of tone to her, she instantly shut —but Sooyoung was chuckling loudly in her mind.

 

‘Wuhoo. Look who’s whipped now,’ Sooyoung inwardly commented while Irene resumed writing the notes, scribbling seriously as she memorized the entire lecture like the back of her hand.

 

In the span of two weeks after Wendy was reportedly excused from all of her class, Irene would constantly write notes from the lecture to give it to Wendy via Seulgi’s locker. She discreetly put the notes on Seulgi’s locker, afraid to be caught. After she had successfully put the notes inside, she would run away like she was being chased by a zombie. Sooyoung would always wonder why Irene’s face sweated a lot like she had ran a 10 km marathon.

 

Irene was still thinking about Wendy during those two weeks. She badly wanted to ask Seulgi about Wendy’s condition but every time she would try to, she was constantly being reminded of their confrontation. After dealing with the internal turmoil of her life choices, she opted to keep a mum about it even though she’s worried sick of Wendy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Relief washed over Irene’s face when she finally spotted Wendy going back to class. She looked healthy and well now like the accident hasn’t occurred two weeks ago. Her classmates welcomed Wendy and asked about her well-being for the past weeks. She desperately wants to hug Wendy at that moment in a bone-crushing hug, letting her know that she had missed her presence. But Irene knew she couldn’t do that, she promised herself to distance herself from Wendy from now on.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Irene was doing a pretty good job to herself; she had been keeping a distance from Wendy for weeks now even though they’re in the same class. Though she occasionally bumps into Wendy inside the school’s premises, she would just brush it off and she’d passed beside Wendy like she was just a wind. And every time she would encounter Wendy in the hallway, she would turn another way wanting to avoid Wendy by all means.

 

Every time Irene would unintentionally meet her gaze to Wendy, she would quickly avert her eyes away from her—afraid that she would give in to Wendy’s orbs filled with familiar warmth. She couldn’t afford to give in easily. Even though her heart was hurting, she knew it would be worth it because it’s all for Wendy’s sake.

 

 

 

 

 

Irene was in a gloomy mood nowadays and Sooyoung would always console her. Sooyoung knew why Irene was acting like that and she can’t help but think, ‘Why do you guys like to complicate things that much?’ But she knew that there’s nothing she could do but she had just to comfort her friend for now. Sooyoung wished all the happy things only for Irene but she knew that it would come sooner.

 

Until one time after sunset, Irene’s co-member from the sports committee requested to take some things to the storage room. Irene suddenly forgot that she was a part of the sport’s committee after the entire situation she was in lately. Irene readily accepted his request, taking the huge box from her co-member's hold. Luckily, the storage room wasn’t too far away from where is she now so she decided to leave her things in the room.

 

The school was now too quiet and there were no students spotted around; a deafening silence enveloped the hallway as she strides her way to the storage room. Accidentally, a little clay spot slipped out from the box. The clay pot shattered on the floor and pieces of the pots were scattered all around the floor together with the soil. Irene sighed heavily as she lowered down the box and she tried to clean the mess she made on the floor. She suddenly felt her body tensed; she felt a shiver ran up her spine.

 

‘Uh-oh, is this a sign that something bad is going to happen later?’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---