Allegro

di Angelo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Would you, though?” Daniel’s sweet-sounding question caught Taehyung off guard, never expecting the usually obnoxious bellow to transform into a soft mewl. He turned to stare at Daniel, who was currently lounging gracelessly on his plush leather couch. “Would I what?”

 

“You haven’t been listening at all, have you?” Daniel grumbled, toying with the strands of his strawberry blonde hair. He shot a murderous glare at Taehyung, who merely shrugged. “Isn’t that the least you owe me after calling me at an ungodly hour of half past two in the morning today? Friends nowadays,” he muttered.

 

“Spit it out, Daniel, I don’t like to be kept waiting,” Taehyung wiggled his eyebrows teasingly, blowing Daniel a gentle raspberry. Daniel huffed in indignation. “You win again, apparently. I was asking if you would really risk exposing him to Hades, to protect yourself? After all, he refused to take what you gave in the first place.”

 

Taehyung rolled his eyes. “And what could I have done, mi amico? Forced the poor soul into his hands like some little puppy? Kind I may be, Daniel, but lo stupido I am not.” Daniel sighed dramatically and slipped from his cup of coffee, his long fingers caressing the paper around it mindlessly. Taehyung turned back to his work, tapping at his laptop once again. A glance at the clock atop the mantelpiece revealed that he had another hour before he was due to meet Daniel’s sister at their pre-decided location. 

 

“Have you informed your sister?” Taehyung asked, having the curtains float open to let it gleaming sunshine. He tousled his immaculately styled hair; this was something of importance he had to know. Daniel looked dreamily out of the open windows. “If you just wanted to go on a date with her I’m sure I could have arranged it much more smoothly. She fought tooth and nail for the reason why I wanted her to go, but she’ll be there.”

 

“Good,” Taehyung answered. He gave no indication to wanting to continue on, merely sweeping away the eraser scraps left from his writing and cleaned up his pens scattered around messily. The tabled question hung like an enigma between both the gods, and the tension was too much for Daniel to bear. “Might I query as to why, darling Taehyung?” Lo and behold, the mighty god of beauty who couldn’t even resist temptation himself, Taehyung mused.

 

He slammed his laptop closed with a click, the sleek machine quieting in a matter of seconds. “Well, it is no segreto that your sister is one of his trusted companions, and who else better to wean knowledge from? Your sister should know that one better than anyone, should she not? After all, it is she who chose to accompany him down here to watch over him.”

 

“Mein herr,  I am terribly afraid that you have mistaken someone else for my sister,” Daniel laughed in disbelief. “Why, I never thought I’d see the day the high and mighty Kim Taehyung made a mistake! I’m so sorry, but my sister does not know he-whom-you-will-not-name. She is very happily residing in her home as of now, up there in the Heavens.” Daniel paused to take a breath. “My goodness, Taehyung, does my sister do such things like accompany someone on a punishment? No, the sister I know would never have done that.”

 

“She did not accompany him, I presume,” Taehyung was calm and unruffled, expression bland as he flicked a hand to bring his bag floating over. “But she knows of his presence here, certainly, and what name and form he has taken on. I wish to find out.”

 

Daniel’s eyes narrowed in suspicion. “Didn’t you say you would never ever see him? Why go to all this bother?”

 

“I don’t see any problem with that, do you?”

 

“Does it help that I’d love to castrate you at this very moment?”

 

Taehyung smiled. “Shut up.”

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

“This stupid friend of my brother who wants to meet up or hook up? No, I don’t know who he is. Don’t want to know either.” Seulgi was undeniably pissed, her lips, painted cherry red that day, scrunched up in a frown. Jeongguk tapped her wrist where her watch resided pointedly. Seulgi sighed. “Remind me why I’m half an hour early for this dude again?”

 

Jeongguk giggled. “Because you’re a huge softie and a er for time that can’t bear to be late and always wants to be number one.” Seulgi smacked him at that, eyes wide with ire and exasperation. Jeongguk pulled his hand away to pick up his cold macchiato, taking a sip. “Why’d you make me tag along?”

 

“You need to get more exposure to this world, kid, holing up inside that apartment of yours isn’t going to help you back home anytime soon.” Seulgi poured herself a cup of tea from the small teapot, the smell of jasmine faintly intoxicating combined with the aroma of coffee beans. Jeongguk laughed, lacing his fingers and bringing them to rest on the tabletop. “You know, I’ve been here before, and I’m not that weird as to lock myself and game all day. I can have a life too.”

 

“That’s a fairly convincing lie, but I’m not inclined to believe that, honey,” Seulgi darted her tongue to a stray drop of tea. She bent the sunshine so it hit her cup instead of her. A sole breeze attacked Jeongguk’s already tousled hair, making him reach up to try and salvage his hairstyle. 

 

And somehow, out of the blue, he managed to meet eyes with the most beautiful man he had ever set eyes on. Irises of a sparkling, iridescent black stared black at him, hair styled in a simple mullet framing a perfectly oval face. Eyelashes fluttered when the man narrowed his eyes at Jeongguk, his hand drawing back from the originally intended wave. Seulgi smiled forcefully at him, but softened when he offered a friendly smile in return. He took a seat between Jeongguk and Seulgi, a small smirk curling his upper lip. “Hello, mia signora, I thought this was strictly one on one. Your brother promised me.”

 

“Well, I couldn't come and meet a complete stranger on my own, could I? Some insurance wouldn’t hurt me,” Seulgi winked at Jeongguk, who wrinkled his nose in distaste. Seulgi’s voice had taken on a distinctly sugary tang. And when did he become her insurance policy?

 

The man’s aura shifted, just a slight, but it was enough for Jeongguk to look at him again. He smiled, “Hello, der Name is Taehyung. Kim Taehyung. Pleased to make your acquaintance.”

 

“Seulgi,” said girl grinned broadly at Taehyung. “This young beau here is Jeongguk.” Jeongguk smiles shyly, cheeks flushing red. Taehyung cocked his head, some measure of amusement filling those onyx eyes. “Hello, Jeongguk.”

 

Jeongguk took a deep breath and sipped his drink lightly. “Nice to meet you too, Taehyung.” He tried to look away, but some force kept his head up, making him look straight into Taehyung’s eyes and see the small glimmer hidden deep. And then it let go, making Jeongguk cough awkwardly to hide his sudden fluster. His right eye twitched. “Uh, excuse me for a moment.”

 

He ran out and gasped for breath, the presence of Kim Taehyung himself having stolen the air right out of his lungs. Jeongguk was ready to throw up by the time he rested his weight on the white wall of the shop, staring at the busy street in front of him. Even the lamppost seemed to sway with laughter. He steeled himself and went back in, bracing himself for any hits incoming.

 

“-Absolutely, young lady, I would be all too pleased to tell Daniel that,” Taehyung was grinning at Seulgi, whose lips were wide enough to swallow a snake. Jeongguk cringed. Holy mother, she actually likes him, he realised. He crept back sneakily, sidling into his seat soundlessly as to not disturb them. Taehyung’s sharp suit was an oddity in the shop, a fine gentleman amidst rowdy teenagers. But he exuded a gentle aura, enough to calm him of his biased fears. After all, who could hurt him?

 

He tuned the conversation out, and instead, opted to stare at the bustling view of the city outside.

 

And if he was lucky, maybe one day he’d be looking at this view from far above this world.

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

“Jeongguk,” a call stopped Jeongguk in his tracks as he prepared to leave the place. Seulgi had bid her goodbyes before hopping into her brother’s car and driving off, leaving Jeongguk in an extremely awkward situation. At that point Jeongguk was just about ready to throw a fit, and yet Taehyung simply has to make him halt. “Hey, when are you free this week? I’d like to have a chat with you, as soon as possible, if you please.”

 

“Weren’t you here to hit on Seulgi? What do I have to do with all this?” Jeongguk demanded, eyes flashing. Taehyung stepped closer, hand darting out to grip Jeongguk’s wrist and pin him against a wall. There was anger visibly in his every pore, seeping from his very being.

 

It was then when Jeongguk realised oh, he’s a god too.

 

He struggled to escape, but Taehyung’s hold on him tightened, heat flowing into his body from where they were connected. Jeongguk gulped nervously. “What do you want with me? I have nothing to give.”

 

The streetlight cast lonely shadows on the both of them, the only sound the purring of Taehyung’s car. The wall of hard and solid against Jeongguk’s back, giving him nowhere to run when Taehyung leaned in and whispered in his ear, “I want nothing, except your cooperation. Listen to me, and maybe we can find a way to get you home.” Jeongguk’s heart nearly stopped. How did he— “Wouldn’t you want that?”

 

Jeongguk’s sharp gasps were the only pierce of noise. The offer was all too tempting, and yet still, a fraction of suspicion lay deep within the recesses of Jeongguk’s mind. “What do want in return? No help like yours comes without a price.”

 

“We’ll discuss that if you deign to meet me, young man,” Taehyung purred lowly. The hackles on the back of Jeongguk’s neck rose. “What do you say?”

 

“Am I even allowed to say no?” Jeongguk closed his eyes, forcing himself to shut out all his senses. Frantic thoughts of panic raced through his head, making him glare up at the other god angrily. Taehyung only smirked down at him, and any snark Jeongguk had prepared vanished along with Taehyung’s teasing demeanour. “You’ve got me there, what time, what date, text me.” Taehyung’s outstretched hand revealed a sleek iPhone, and Jeongguk took it, typing his own number and labelling it Jeongguk in the list of contacts. He might have been away for a long time, but that didn’t mean he was out of date.

 

Taehyung grinned. “Now that wasn’t so bad, was it? I’ll see you then, sweetheart.” The man has the audacity to blow Jeongguk a mocking kiss while turning and stepping into his car. The engine revved once, twice, and the vehicle zoomed off smoothly, turning the corner and vanishing from Jeongguk’s line of sight. The boy shuddered, hearing his phone ping with an apparent text message.

 

Unknown (21:47) : Sweet dreams, sweetheart.

 

And for some reason, Jeongguk didn’t need to think far to know who it was.

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

Taehyung watched — with unveiled amusement, apparently —  as Daniel’s sister dropped Jeongguk off at the shop they had decided to meet at, speaking to him seriously before getting into her car and leaving. Jeongguk strode in, confident and cocky like he had always remembered. The boy was clad in black jeans and a simple hoodie today, hands tucked into his pockets while glaring heavily at Taehyung.

 

He had to give it to him; the first time he saw the boy, sitting with Seulgi, he hadn’t expected it to be the one he sought out. He hadn’t expected his old rival would take the form of such a beauty,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter