Distant.

In Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

He kept hearing his name being called again and again, it sounded far away at first, but each time his name was being called, it sounded closer and louder. Minhyuk groaned. It can’t be time to wake up yet, he felt like he had only been asleep for fifteen minutes. He could hear movements and muffled voices around him, but his body refused to cooperate. It took too much effort to budge from the comfortable position he was in.


He cracked an eye open, just enough to see his surroundings. He could make out that the bed on the opposite side from his, was vacant. He expected to see Kihyun up and about, nagging at everyone to get up and get ready like he usually would, but he saw their manager instead.


“Get up, get up!” their manager, Hongsik hollered at no one in particular, drawing the blinds open so the light would come through the room. He could hear Jooheon and I.M bickering, creating a ruckus around the room in the background. Ah, that means everyone’s awake except for me. Minhyuk squirmed and whined lazily, kicking the duvet off his body. Begrudgingly, he slid out of his bed and sleepily made his way to the bathroom.


When he came out from the bathroom, he noticed that Kihyun was still cocooned up and sleeping on his bed. That can’t be right. Kihyun was always the first to wake up in the morning. Having the manager come in to wake them up was strange enough, but to see Kihyun sleep through the commotions that transpired was even stranger.

Minhyuk decided to leave it at that and proceeded to put his clothes on and got ready. He called out to Kihyun a number of times while he was getting ready; asking him to wake up, but the boy didn’t even stir.


“Kihyun-ah!” He called out one more time. Minhyuk was sitting on his bed, all dressed up, looking at his phone and replying to a few KakaoTalk messages. When he didn’t get an answer from Kihyun, a sudden wave of concern enveloped him. Why isn’t he waking up? He tilted his head in confusion and stood up, abandoning his phone on the bed. Slowly, he inched closer towards the bunk bed on the opposite side of the wall and peered over to the sleeping vocalist. The way Kihyun laid there silent and unmoving was deeply unsettling for Minhyuk to see. Is he even breathing? He didn’t think that Kihyun was even breathing. He looked so still and quiet.


“Yah!” He called out loudly, pulling roughly at the blanket that was haphazardly covering the lower part of Kihyun’s body. “Yoo Kihyun! Wake up! We have to go now!” Minhyuk screeched, trying to get some sort of response from the other. “We’re going to be late! Wake up!” Minhyuk would never admit it, but he was getting desperate to see or hear a response from his sleeping friend.

“…what…” Kihyun mumbled, pulling the blanket all the way up to cover his face.  Coiling away from Minhyuk, and more into the blanket; the vocalist seemed to be slipping back into sleep.

Minhyuk felt a wave of immense relief. For a second, he truly thought that his roommate was dead. It was really bizarre to see Kihyun sleep as deeply as he did, but he also felt slightly annoyed and frustrated that he was worrying over absolutely nothing.


“Wake up! We’re leaving soon!” The older of the two said loudly, purposely wanting to annoy the sleeping boy so he would wake up. “Kihyun! Wake up!”

He opened his eyes blearily and saw Minhyuk standing beside his bed-- right in his face. He blinked a few times, trying to focus more on his surroundings and willed himself to fully wake up.  “Mmm… I’m up…” he reluctantly pushed himself up and sat tiredly on his bed to show that he was awake. 

“Okay! Hurry up and shower! Everyone else’s ready. We’re leaving soon!”  Minhyuk said, picking up his phone before leaving the room to join the rest of the boys in the living room.

Kihyun sat on his bed unmoving for a few more seconds after Minhyuk left. He felt so drained. He slept early the night before, but he felt like he had barely slept at all. The day hasn’t even started and he was already too exhausted to do anything.


A wave of dizziness swept over him as soon as he got off the bed. His body seemed to protest every movement he made. He wanted to give up and just stay in bed all day, but he knew he couldn’t do that. Kihyun swallowed, willing himself to move faster. He felt even more pressured knowing that everyone else was ready, waiting for him.

He made his way to the bathroom, hoping that a hot shower would wake him up and bring his body back to its normal state.

He had to brace himself against the bathroom wall more than a few times. His whole body felt weak and heavy. At some point, he had to lean against the cold tiled wall to support himself; just so he wouldn’t end up cracking his head open on the bathroom floor. Definitely not how he wanted to start his day. Moving as fast as his body allowed him to, Kihyun plodded out of the bathroom and got himself ready for the day.

When the vocalist appeared in the living room, the other members were busy talking amongst each other. Hyungwon was dozing off on the side. Save for their manager, no one else really acknowledged his presence.

Events from last night replayed in his mind, reminding him of the hurtful words that were thrown at him.

“Ah! Finally! Let’s go!” The dutiful manager chimed, getting up from the sofa and hurrying to the door. “Let’s go, guys! Let’s go!” He clapped his hand loudly, making sure that everyone was making a move to leave.


In the car, Kihyun kept both his eyes and mouth shut. He felt miserable, both mentally and physically. They’ve all had a fair amount of arguments amongst each other, but he couldn’t remember anything as tensed as last night’s argument. It had to be the stress from touring, he reasoned. It’ll all blow off soon. Or would it? He didn’t want to think about it, at the time being.

The boys arrived at their location not too long after they had left

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter