White Cane

White Cane

     My name is Son Chaeyoung, I am 19 and I was born completely blind. As sad as it might sound for some people, it's not sad at all. I just get to live and experience things differently, even if folks tend to think my entire life is based on relying on others and being depressed over not seeing the oh-so-pretty blue sky. Jokes on them — I have probably done more things by myself than most of them have. Jeongyeon always says that to me.

     Meeting Jeongyeon was a rather tragic event. She used to be a bully in high school, and I ended up being one of her victims in a particular day she was in a bad mood and I bumped into her.

     “Watch out, loser”, she said, then saw I was the famous-poor-blind-girl, and added:

     "Oh well, you can't, can you?”, making me reply her with:

     “Sorry, apparently my cane doesn’t spot jerks”.

     Later that day, Jeongyeon met me when I was going home, only to greet me and apologize, she walked down the street with me and we talked a lot, mainly about me. She has done some messed up things, of course, but she grew up and she's a mature woman who recognizes how her actions were wrong. I guess we all have to have a character development someday, right? We were kids back then. Now she's my best friend, although I wish we were more than that.

     She’s always tried to show me how she doesn’t see me as a weak figure that needs constant help and attention, Jeong always made sure to show, through the smallest things, that I should believe in myself. Unlike everyone else, she makes me forget I’m different, and whenever she doesn’t, it’s to say I’m rather unique than odd.

     The bell rang, and I knew it was Jeongyeon. Today is my birthday, and she promised that she had a good schedule for us. Mom opened the door for her.

     “Chaeyoung!”, she called.

     “I’m coming!”, I said, walking towards the living room.

     “I’m here”, she tapped my arm. “I see you got new clothes.”

     “Someone said I look good in yellow”

     “Honestly, you look gorgeous in any way.”

     “You’re not so bad.”

     “As if.”

     “I might not see but feeling things has taught me another meaning of beauty”, she lightly snorted.

     “Ready?”

     “Sure.”

     “Going without your white cane?”

     “I’m with you, I won't need it.”

     She helped me get into her car and left. Music was playing and I could tell by the choice it was from her flash drive. Good thing we like the same sad songs. This song in particular remembered me of the first concert we attended together. She was singing along, her voice is one of my favorite sounds, for sure. I tend to have a lot of nightmares, and when I’m with her, she always talks to me until I fall asleep again.

     I wasn’t the only one feeling the nostalgia, apparently, she shighed and started talking:

     “Hey, remember the first time you went to my house by yourself?”

     “Yeah, that was an adventure.”

     “Your parents wouldn't stop calling me.”

     “They didn't tell me that.”

     “They trusted you, but were afraid someone would do something to you.”

     “Which happens a lot.”

     “You gotta improve your echolocation game.”

     “I felt so happy when I arrived.”

     “You did a good job.”

     It ends up she brought me to a park for a picnic. I had mentioned how badly I wanted to go on one. I just hadn't planned to walk a lot to get to the place. We were under a tree, she told me we were alone, almost like a movie scene.

     “Since you talked so much about this, I decided to bring you here. Welcome to Yoo’s Sweet Summer Picnic” I was surprised by the amount of food, I ate until I was about to explode, sometimes asking Jeongyeon for help just to have her closer, then laid down on the towel, feeling the grass tickle me.

     “Thank you”, I said, stretching.

     “Are you sure you don't want to eat more?”

     “You would have to piggyback me.”

     “Not a problem, you're a tiny baby lion.”

     “Rawr.”

     “Excuse me”, Jeongyeon said, wiping something from the corner of my mouth.

     “Oh, hey, mom.”

     “It’s not my fault you eat like a goblin.”

     The space by my side was replaced by Jeongyeon's body and her classic scent. Since we became friends, she’s never changed her perfume, just so that I can recognize her. It's a pretty expensive perfume too, so not many people have it. I appreciate every little gesture.

     “It's your birthday. How does it feel to turn 19?”

     “Pretty lame. I’m getting older and eventually grumpier.”

     “I really need you to have some extra space in your stomach.”

     “Why?”

     “I brought a cake. It's small, though.”

     “You didn't have to!”, I exclaimed, sitting up. A few seconds later, she stopped her movements.

     “Blow the candle and make a wish.”

     “I wish… Well, I can't say my wish”, in fact, I couldn't think of something to wish for.

     “Want a piece?”

     “Leave it for later, seriously”, she set the cake aside and we laid down again.

     “Have you ever… Wished to see?”

     “Oh... Have you ever wished to fly?”

     “Yeah, of course.”

     “Do you feel like your entire life is compromised by the fact you can't fly?”

     “No.”

     “Do you think of flying all the time?*

     “No, not at all.”

     “Well, it's somewhat the same thing. I suppose it’d be nice, but it's not essential, not when you're used to doing everything without it”, I sighed in the end, finally adding:

     “But there are a few things I’d actually love to see.”

     “Like what?”

     “My parent's face, colors, and… You”, I finished saying that and the wind blew through my hair, my whole body was scratching from the grass, but the smell of it was incredible. I felt Jeongyeon's hand reach mine and wrap it.

     “What?”

     “I really wish you could see yourself. You're so beautiful, as beautiful as your inside”, I let go of her hand and sat down. I reached out to touch her face, letting my digits run over her skin. It was the first time I had ever done that to her, it's not my favorite experience, but I didn't feel that uncomfortable.

     “You're beautiful too, in all ways possible”, I retracted my hand and silence filled the air. Some kind of tension was being built between us.

     “Chaeyoung?”

     “Yeah?”

     “I really like you.”

     “I like you a lot, too.”

     “Can I kiss you?”, I only nodded, and quickly felt her way too close. Her hand cupped my face and her lips touched mine. I knew for a fact she was way more experienced than me, and I let her have it her way. It felt good, very good. We had to breathe, unfortunately, and she used that break to explore. I shivered when her kisses made their way down to my neck and her fingers caressed my waist. She didn't extend it for too long, though, making me want more, but giving my lips attention. She made me lay down and hovered her body over me, resuming our make out session. Everything in that moment felt perfectly right, as if time had stopped, and I never wanted it to end, but it had to, and it did.

     “I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time”, she whispered, her forehead against mine.

     “Thank you for bringing me here.”

     “Happy birthday, Chaeng.”