The Healer.

The Healer.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 “No, you can’t let me down like that.”

 The small girl whined, messing her blonde hair. She leaned backwards, pressing to the tree and pouting her lips like she was offended really badly. But not even a mussel moved on the other one’s face. The tall brunette stared somewhere far away, spacing out on her friend.

 The garden behind their university building was the famous place for all students here. Nice atmosphere with fresh air and some tables to have a lunch here. The smell of hot dogs from the nearest food court, that got accepted by the principal last year, spread all over the place, making some hungry students crawl there.

 Tzuyu sat comfortably on the grass, her blue backpack thrown on her right and her laps occupied with short girls’ head that had her eyes closed. Somewhere at the back, the noises from the stadium were heard. Probably their basketball team preparing for a match. Tzuyu used to play it too, at least first 3 years, but as the graduation and studies became important, she decided that it’s time to stop.

 “Dahyun, shut up. You can do it yourself.” The half sleeping Chaeyoung voiced out.
 “No, I need some support and Tzuyu is the only one.”

 They were arguing about the party that got to be held today at someone’s house. Apparently, Dahyun’s crush is going to be there and the girl wanted to confess, which Tzuyu thought won’t be a good idea. She recommended to do it in a romantic way - with flowers, sweets and in a quiet place. Not in the noisy house with sweaty people around and a lot of alcohol in the blood. But rather Dahyun was too scared to do it sober or she was afraid someone could take her crush first.

 “I’m sorry, but I’ll head to the hospital right after.”

 Studying medic and going to be a surgeon, Tzuyu got her internship in one of the very famous clinic that actually wanted to employ her after the graduation. She was the best student in her group, so it wasn’t surprising. The chief medical officer seemed to be a very pleasant woman – she was so soft to Tzuyu, almost cooing with her like with a baby. The other personnel was really good too. They had been joking around a lot and doing their job properly at the same time. So Tzuyu like the place.

 “You two are so boring.” The older of them mumbled and crossed her arms.

 Tzuyu smiled about this cute and silly behavior. She had been known these girls for some time now. Chaeyoung approached her first as they had the same history classes together and then they became friends with Dahyun when the girl climbed the statue of a lion at the main entrance and asked them to take a picture of her. Obviously, they were caught of doing it and got punished to help student council for a mouth, but that was fun.

 ***

 Tzuyu parked her car in front of the huge building where Dahyun’s rented apartment was located. Nice environment with a little park just around the corner. The sun has been so cruel today, shining so brightly that the temperature increased very sharply. People were slowly dragging their body to do their business and the two of them watched it with amusement, relaxing under car conditioner.

 “You sure you won’t come?”

 Dahyun gave her a puppy eyes once again making Tzuyu feel bad. But she really couldn’t. These past few days she got so busy that even started to skip breakfast or have it in the car while driving to the clinic.

 “I’m sorry. The only thing I can do is to ask Jeongyeon-unnie.”

 Dahyun agreed, seeing some good points in it. Jengyeon was closely acquainted with her crush and so can give some advice. She got out of the car, shocked over the hotness and closed the door, smiling so wide that her eyes nearly disappeared. She waved her hands and went away.

 Tzuyu liked her car – comfortable and convenient as she started to move from place to place very frequently and she needed to do it fast. But her friends liked it the most, using her as the personal driver to drop them home and at university sometimes. Tzuyu never minded though, it was much fun singing song together or checking people in the traffic.

 When she turned to the parking lot of the clinic, she immediately saw her usual spot – every parking spot for personnel was named after them and as one of the women was waiting for a child and couldn’t work anymore, she let Tzuyu park under her name. Tzuyu checked everything before exiting the auto and when she did, the sun hit her head and eyes. This day seemed to be extremely hot.

 The girl faster went in and approached the reception desk to get her id-card. The girl about her age, maybe older, greeted her with a smile and let the brunette sign the list. After that Tzuyu went straight to the dressing room and get her lab coat and head to her supervisor – very funny man in his 40th. While she was on the way a lot of patients were having a walk inside rather than under the bright sun, probably the door to the garden had been closed. The clinic contained people with different illnesses and ages, but of course, there were more elders and middle-aged ones. And some of the children whose parents could stay with them because of work. But everything was made especially for them to not feel bored. The TV in the huge hall with lots of couches, tables and chairs where the personnel left the newspapers and magazines every day. The room for children with lots of toys and other attractions was located on the other side and the elder woman that worked here as the janitor usually stayed there watching for the kids.

 Tzuyu greeted some doctors that she knew before finally entering her departure. Doctor Kim sat at his usual place, concentrated on the computer screen. The other person – Doctor Lee was sleeping on the couch, probably working all night. Even if their clinic was paid, all the serious and difficult cases usually were sent here, especially when the incident happened nearby.

 “Doctor Kim.” Tzuyu called.

 The man turned to her direction and stood up, stretching his back with the crunch sounds and then whining over that.

 “Oh, Tzuyu-ya, as soon as I’ll teach you everything and understand that you can work alone, I’m gonna have a huge vacation and then think about my retirement.”

He went to his table and took some paper with the information on the patients in it.

 “You got a new one here. Her mother asked someone her age and a girl, so I’ll leave her for you. She doesn’t need much of attention as she’s not getting her treatment here.”

 After getting all the information, Tzuyu started her after lunch check-ups. She got the number of 7 people she needed to check every day. She took her equipment, hanging the stethoscope over her neck and stopping at the pharmacist to take the pills. The corridors were clean and nice – red, blue, purple, not just boring white.

 She went first to a middle-aged woman that had an operation only two days ago. Tzuyu herself helped Doctor Kim with everything, so she was concerned for her work as well. They talked very nicely while Tzuyu checked everything and informed that she’ll send a nurse for treating the seam. She then made her work of checking on everyone, except the new girl. She was placed at the far end of the children block, where the atmosphere was calmer. She went to the door, the new nameplate on it said ‘Minatozaki’. Tzuyu checked her paper. She knocked and after hearing a voice, opened the door.

 Her attention was fully taken by the girl in the lowly downed bed. Her body was covered with a light blanket and a wheelchair stood near. She was beautiful. The ash grey hair in the messy ponytail, perfect skin under light make-up, the small fragile body with good proportions, but her eyes was very sad.

 Tzuyu smiled politely, closing the door and coming closer. The other girl was studying her too, so Tzuyu carefully went to the other side of the room, near the window and pulled her papers closer to her chest.

 “Let me introduce myself. I’m Chou Tzuyu. You can call me Tzuyu here. I’m an intern and I’ll look after you.”

 She was her usual kind and sweet, but the girl didn’t like it at all. Her face seemed to be angry. Tzuyu understood that she wanted to just be alone. However, she needed to do her job.

 “So, Miss Minatozaki, your doctor asked to check several aspects every day before your operation. Let me start.”

 The girl remained in silence again and Tzuyu took it as the sign that she wasn’t in the mood now. She tried to be quick, not wanting to feel that angry stare anymore. Writing everything in her check-up paper she peeked at the time. It was almost 4 p.m., the time she needed to head back and visit the other person with Doctor Kim.

 “Thank you for your cooperation Miss.”

 She went away and continued her day.

 ***

 Sana snapped when the door gently closed behind the girl. She was zoning out from the moment that goddess went it. The slim tall figure and the tan beautiful face made her freeze. She couldn’t utter a single word when the girl started speaking – so gently and nice. Sana was aggressively staring the whole time, not even feeling a slightly embarrassing for her rude behavior. The realization came to her only when the beauty went away. Sana cursed, feeling stupid for forgetting her name.

 But again all her positive thoughts disappeared when she saw her wheelchair. She couldn’t walk, she was disabled, so it was common that people were pitying her, that beauty couldn’t be any different. She hit her legs, lower to the knee, but didn’t feel anything.

 She used to argue with her mother a lot about this place. It was expensive, not as much as the Medical Centre, but still in their position. Her doctor told them that the only way to make her walk again was to have a very expensive surgery. Sana didn’t know the exact price, but it was hard for their family to handle it. That’s why her dad went to Japan, working there non-stop and her mother took two jobs in order to have more money. It led her to be unable of looking after the girl and it also led her here.

 The place was actually very nice and positive. Her mother promised to visit her every day after work, but she knew that it won’t happen often. She was miserable. Sana felt guilty for making her dearest people suffer because of her mistakes. She remembered crying the whole week after discovering the diagnose and she still was. Just a year ago she had been running laughing from her friends and now she was locked on the stupid wheelchair. How pathetic.

 That evening her mother didn’t make it to the clinic, Sana even thought that she stayed at work to finish everything faster and the beautiful intern didn’t return as well.

 The next morning, she woke up early, using her arms to get into the wheelchair and get to the personal bathroom to wash up. She got used to managing herself well, but it was still hard sometimes. One time, when her mom left her alone to pick up some work papers, Sana accidently fell off the wheelchair and unable to stood up, spent almost two hours on the floor. The woman got so concerned that she never left Sana completely alone for a long time.

 After spending her precious time in the bathroom, Sana felt like having a little tour. She opened the door and went out, using her arms to push her forward. It was probably 8 in the morning. Some of the adults were already up as well as nurses that were walking back and forth, preparing everything for a new day. In the four-storage building, she was placed on the second floor, but it was still nice. The clinic was located in a little peaceful district that was surrounded with green trees, fresh grass and the smell of nature. The garden that Sana saw previously looked the best. And the big windows were making everyone relaxed and calm. It was almost like a spa center.

 When she went to the window that was going to the garden, Sana got surprised seeing the beautiful intern there with a bunch of people on the grass. The girl was making some simple movements, the one you do during stretching and the others followed her. The wide smile on her lips made her even more stunning. Sana watched her every move, finding it amusing. The young one was probably able to run a long distance and win it, but she was stuck there, making slow exercises and helping some elders.

 Sana was confused. At their time, no one really cared about elder people that much, nor Sana didn’t think that someone would work in a place like it. The girl seemed to be very young. She needed to party with friends, kissing someone in the back seats of the car, drinking and uploading stupid photos online. The things normal young adults were doing. The things Sana had been doing before.

 This girl was totally different and Sana was so curious about her. She watched as the whole thing was over now and everyone started to head back. The intern never dropped her smile, speaking with some people and acting very polite and sweet. Sana’s stomach was spinning just by this view.

 She went back when one of the nurses called her to have a dinner. She rejected any help and climbed the bed herself, before eyeing her food. The porage wasn’t something that she wanted, but sure she had no options. She ate it faster, drinking the orange juice and calling for the nurse to take the dirty plate.

 Children were already awake and even if it was some of them, they were still very noisy. Sana, however, was bored to death. The TV programs were uninteresting and there was nothing else she could do. She took her phone, checking on the last messages from her friends, the only ones who stayed by her side. They were asking about her whereabouts and the visiting hours so they could come and make some company. She replied to them and wanted to check social media, but someone knocked on her door.

 “Come in.”

 She watched the entrance carefully and when the door opened the same beauty that shook her minds the whole night, stepped in. Today she wore a light dress that was just above her knees. The blue color really suited her well and the high ponytail couldn’t make it worst.

 She smiled at frozen Sana and went closer, occupying the chair.

 “Miss Minatozaki, it’s me again. How’s your first night here?”

 Of course, she tried to make a small talk to even hear the newcomer’s voice. Her voice, however, was so soft and quiet that Sana was convinced that’s how angels sound like.

 “G-good. A bit unusual, but good.” She voiced out.
 “I see. You’ll get used soon.” The girl smiled. “No one is locking you here. Feel free to explore. There’s a lot of fun things.”
 “Yeah. I-I saw a garden.” She suddenly felt so nervous.
 “Oh, the garden is very good, but avoid it in the daytime. It’s very hot.”

 She didn’t even notice how the results of her check-up were already in the blank and girl just watched her with interest. Her dark eyes were shining with joy and excitement. It shocked Sana even more. The girl was too happy and pure to be human.

 “What-what is your name?” She mumbled when the girl stood up.
 “Chou Tzuyu, miss.”

 Sana won’t forget this time.

 ***

 The next day her friends were visiting her in the evening. Her mother had a few minutes to spear in the morning and then rushed to work again. This time Tzuyu wasn’t there. The other woman came in to check on her and did it rather boringly. So Sana was a bit disappointed.

 When her friends – Nayeon, Jihyo and Mina came, they were very positive about the clinic. Nayeon talked a lot, telling the latest rumors from her work and comparing it with movies she had finished. Jihyo commented a lot also while opening the sweets that they brought. Mina was the quietest as usual.

 They talked a lot until the knock was heard. Sana allowed the person to come in and felt relieved after seeing Tzuyu in her lab coat and ponytail. The girl smiled at everyone, greeting and excusing herself for causing them the distraction. She promised to be quick.

 “How are you feeling?” She asked, starting the check-up immediately.
 “Good. You didn’t come in the morning.”
 “I was in the university. Did the other nurse do her task well?”
 “You tell me. Am I fine?”

 Strangely, Sana started to feel more comfortable with Tzuyu. She wasn’t afraid to talk back and definitely wanted their conversation to be longer. Even knowing each other for a short period of time, Sana felt something weird. Like they were destined to meet.

 Tzuyu soon left and Sana came to her sense only when Nayeon elbowed her with teasing expression. Honestly, Sana completely forgot about her friends.

 “So, one more plus of staying here that you avoided mentioning is this beauty.” The girl stated.
 “No, it’s not like that.”
 “Well, can I ask her phone number then?”

 Sana knew that the older one was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter