Seasons Change, But Our Love Never Will

Seasons Change, But Our Love Never Will

October: the month where everything changes. Days get shorter as the nights get longer, leaves shift from vibrant greens to mute reds and oranges, hot summer days become cool and windy. “That’s exactly what today is”, you thought as you made your way towards the studio. The leaves crunched beneath your worn in Doc Martin boots, wind nipping at your cheeks (even though you had your thick scarf wrapped around your neck and mouth), hand gripping your messenger bag that carried all your sketchbooks, pencils, and your school books. You finally arrived at the art building, only to be met with locked doors.

“…just great. I’ve got to get in there tonight!” you swore under your breath. You peered inside, trying to see if anyone was around to let you in. “I’m a junior for crying out loud! I should have a key by now...” you mumbled, yanking at the door again. It was already late, probably around 10pm, you hadn’t checked the time recently. You had a lot of work to do, mid-terms are coming up! After one last pull on the door, you decided that you needed some coffee anyways. There’s only one place to get that this late at night: Neo Coffee Tech, or, better known as NCT.

“Well, maybe there’s some interesting people there. I could use inspiration to fill up my sketchbook” you said to yourself. And with that, you head out to the coffee shop. It was only a block away from your university campus, so you could easily walk to it. The trip there was really relaxing. You always liked walking at night; it was quiet, and you could think about things without being interrupted. Being an art major wasn’t all it was cracked up to be: late nights at the studio working on pieces, constantly having charcoal smeared SOMEWHERE on your face, not to mention having to study for your other classes. “CRAP! I forgot we have an English paper due tomorrow!!” you yelled out. Great…now you REALLY had to get in the studio. You should’ve started it a long time ago, but you ended up using your time working on your art piece for the next student exhibit. “But how am I going to write this paper in one night?”

By the time all that went down in your head, you had already arrived at the shop, with its bright neon lights gleaming in the night sky. You yanked the door open and stepped inside. Not as busy as you imagined. There was a guy sitting near the window, head buried in his textbook; a girl and her friend chatting while on their computers, no doubt working on their homework; and the not-so-enthusiastic student behind the counter, who was looking at you with an annoyed expression.

“Are you going to stand there, or are you gonna close the door and order something?”

“Alright, alright. Don’t be an a-hole about it” you replied, shuffling in all the way and up to the counter. The guy looked you up and down, all while frowning, then looked back up at your eyes.

“So what’s it going to be tonight?” he mumbled, not really paying attention to what you were going to say.

“Pumpkin Spice latte, add two shots of espresso, no whipped cream” you replied.

“Coming right up.” Three minutes pass by while waiting for your latte. Soon enough, he’s coming your way, holding the piping hot liquid carefully as to not spill it. You start to reach out, only to be forwards unexpectedly! Before you can react, your precious liquid of life is running down your hand and arm. “HOT” you cried out, pain now searing your hand. You shake your arm, trying to get as much liquid off as possible. Outraged, you whipped around to scold the person behind you who had just ruined your night. But you stop dead in your tracks when you see who it is.

Johnny. Seo. THE Johnny Seo. One of the most loved junior music major, second only to Jaehyun (to be honest, no one stands a chance next to mister Valentine boy). The one who is always seems to be surrounded by girls trying to get his number. The one with a killer smile, and a personality to match. 

He also happens to be your biggest crush.

“Sh*t! I’m really sorry (y/n), I didn’t see you when I came in. I should’ve been paying more attention. Please forgive me!” he stammered, grabbing napkins from the nearby dispenser and dabbing them onto your hand and arm. You looked dumbfounded.

Did he just say your name?

“Uh, it’s no big deal. The pain has worn off anyways” you replied, staring at him still confused.

“What?” he asked, noticing how you were acting.

“How do you know my name?”

“Oh, well uh…”he stuttered, suddenly looking anywhere but at you. “We’re in the same English class, remember? You sit right next to me. I’m the one who asked for a pen just yesterday.”

Right. You forgot that small bit of information.

“Right! Sorry, I’ve been distracted lately, so I barely even remember what I ate for lunch today. Johnny, right?”

“That’s my name, don’t wear it out” he jokes, smiling slightly.

“Anyways, again, I’m really sorry about your coffee. Can I buy you a new one? It’s the least I can do to make up for what I did.”

You agreed to his offer, so he went and got you a new cup, making sure not to spill it again. Once he hands you the coffee, he smiles down at his accomplishment.

“There! Brand new coffee. But, if you don’t mind me asking, why are you still awake so late?”

“Well, I wanted to work on my last piece for the student exhibit, but I forgot about that English paper that’s due tomorrow” you replied, hanging your head low in defeat.

“Oof, you’re in for a long night. Are you staying here to write it?”

“It wasn't the plan at first. I wanted to do my work in my studio in the art building, but the damn door is locked, and I don’t have a key.”

“Well, maybe I can help” he said, pulling from his pocket a ring full of keys.

What the hell?

“What is that?”

“My best friend Ten is a photography major. I do a little photography of my own, but it’s just a hobby for me. He lets me use his studio when I need to get away from everything. So…yeah, that’s why I have a key to the building.” He finished his sentence in a hushed tone, seeing how your face is now twisted into a frown.

“That’s so not fair! I’m an ART student! Why don’t I get a key?” you huffed, rushing out the door and onto the sidewalk outside.

“I’m sorry; I didn’t know...I thought all students with studios had a key.”

“Well, you thought wrong. Ugh, I can’t believe this. I asked for one at the beginning of the semester, but they said they’d ‘get back to me’.” You said through gritting teeth, kicking a rock into the street.

“Hey, no need to get all worked up over a key, (y/n). I’m sure they’ll get one to you soon. If not, I’ll talk to them and see what the holdup is.”

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll just have to get there when someone is already inside” you reply, stuffing your hands into the pocket of your sweater.

“If you want, I can let you in the building. I live in the dorm right across from the building. And I’ll give you my number so you can let me know when you need in. It’s nothing, really.” He suggested. You blushed at the thought of having his number, and suddenly you couldn’t look at him in the eye.

“I mean, I guess that works. For now, until I get my key. Then you won’t have to worry about helping me” you say.

“Don’t worry, it’s my pleasure. Now, shall we head that way, madam?” he asks, bowing slightly while extending his arms out like a chauffeur. You laugh slightly at his gesture, quickly following his lead by bowing back.

“Why certainly, kind sir.”

The two of you look at each other, and that’s when you see and hear what you consider the most beautiful thing the world can offer. His laugh. The way the corners of his mouth curl up slightly, his dark brown eyes squint together, and he wheezes too. His longer black hair falls out of place, covering part of his face. You both laugh for a minute at the silliness of the moment. You can’t help but stare at him, perhaps a little too long, cause now he’s staring back. When did you get some close to him? He’s standing a few inches away, bent over, looking at you through his hair. You turn a beet red, jumping back slightly, as you stammer over your words.

“Uh, ha-ha, I guess we should get going. This paper isn’t going to write itself, ya know” you say, looking down at your feet.

“Right, uh, yeah. I don’t want you staying up really late, so consider me your personal helper for the night” he replied, shoving his hands in the pockets of his jean jacket. You both start to walk towards the building, in a surprisingly comfortable silence. For some reason, even though this is really your first time talking to him, it feels so…natural; like you’ve been doing this forever.

“Thanks again, Johnny. I really appreciate all that you’ve done for me tonight” you say, breaking the silence.

“It’s okay, really. I’m glad I finally got to talk to you for real, instead of asking for pens and sh*t. You’ve always seemed like a cool person, but I could never get the courage to say anything. You’re always sketching something or taking notes” he replies, a pink color dusting his cheeks that goes unnoticed by you.

“Sorry about that…Once I find something that inspires me, I try to capture it as it is. That way I can keep that moment forever. Is music ever like that for you?” you ask, turning to him.

“Sometimes, yeah. I used to be able to write lyrics down easily, but nowadays…” his voice trails off. His face seems to fall a little, which makes you stop walking.

“Hey, what’s wrong? Did I say something? I didn’t mean to upset you” you stammered, trying to console him.

“No no, it’s okay (y/n)! You didn’t do anything wrong. I just have been in a slump lately. Like I can’t seem to find the right words, ya feel me? I guess I’ve lost my inspiration for right now.” His solemn look makes your heart sink.

“I get that way sometimes too, so don’t worry. Inspiration comes in many forms, so just keep a look out! You’ll find it again soon” you reply, smiling up to him. After walking for a few more minutes, you end up at the art building. Johnny pulls out the keys, taking a second to figure out which key is the right one, and then he successfully opens the door. He pushes it, standing in the door frame to keep it from closing.

“After you, hun.”

“Thanks!”

Once inside, you lead him up the stairs to the second floor, all the way down to the end of the hall. Your door was covered in paint, random patterns all across the front, and your name on the top. As you open the door and turn on the light, Johnny’s mouth drops open.

“Woah. This is so cool!”

You had all sorts of random things around. There's plants everywhere, hanging from the ceiling, on the winow pane, and in the corners of the room. A big, comfy arm chair sits next to the window, as well as a giant easel in the middle of the room that's holding your current project. There's a teal table on the side which had a giant mirror, with paints and all your other pens and pencils strewn about. The concrete floor had paint splatters here and there that had been there for who knows how long.

“(Y/N), this is by far the coolest room I’ve ever seen. And Ten’s room is pretty crazy. I had no idea you were this artistic.”

“Eh, it could be better. I’d like to hang lights around the room with mesh to create a warmer environment, and maybe some more pictures to post on the walls. To be honest…you’re the first person that’s really seen my room, other than my best friend Taeil” you said, putting your things down on the table and getting out your computer. He follows you and pulls up the arm chair, smiling sweetly at you.

“Well, I’m honored. Now, shall we get started on that paper?”