On Fire

On Fire

It was a hot summer’s day in Kyungsoo’s Workshop. The hottest ever, judging by the sweat that was rolling down Luhan’s face as if he was in a sauna, but Jongin always laughed at him and said that Luhan was exaggerating.

 

You say that every time the temperature rises above 20 degrees Celsius, Kai told him just yesterday morning. You are such a whiny spoiled brat, you know that?

 

As much as Luhan loved his friend, he did not like being called a spoiled brat just because he was born in a wealthy family. So he’d punched him, and Kai had punched him back, and they’d both ended with ice packs on their faces, trying to stop their handsomeness from disappearing for the next couple days.

 

Of course, they’d failed miserably and now both were walking around with beautiful black eyes that were bound to make all hotties fall for them immediately.

 

On days like these, Luhan tried his hardest to make it seem like he was actually doing something while doing nothing, and thankfully, it was working, but only because his boss was too busy talking with Chanyeol about the football game his favorite team has lost last night.

 

Had he not been preoccupied with his hatred for all football judges of the world, Kyungsoo would’ve sauntered over to him like an angry penguin and screamed at him to stop slacking off, to actually start earning him some money and how he was a nutjob for even hiring such lazy good-for-nothings in his shop that was bound to become the most famous brand of the future.

 

Well, maybe it was the most famous brand of the future, but it definitely wasn’t of the present.

 

The door to the shop opened, bringing in a new customer - which meant more work to do - and heat that made him start sweating again. Luhan turned, angry that he was going to get subjected to even more heat than he already had to bear - which was already beyond unbearable, if you asked him - but what he saw made him start sweating even more, the temperature of his body rising even higher.

 

And he wasn’t even going to complain about it.

 

She was the reason for all the heat. He’d had to endure so many days of scalding hotness, of sweating and constantly taking showers to try to cool down and always fanning himself with something and wiping his brows to make the sweat go away just to have it return immediately, but getting all pasted in motor oil in the process.

 

And oh no, he definitely wasn’t going to complain about it.

 

His mouth was gaping open, and he was aware of it, but he couldn’t do anything to return it to its rightful place - maybe closing it would help, but his brain wasn’t functioning anymore so it couldn’t understand the simplest command.

 

He kept blinking, sure that she was just a mirage but wanting her to be real so badly that he would go out and fry his brain in the summer sun just to be able to see her again.

 

Her hair was multicolored: grey, white, yellow and pink were all staring at him from all kinds of directions because her curls were wild and untamed, and he knew it wouldn’t have looked right otherwise. Her whole posture spoke of confidence and the kind of eccentricity that made his blood boil and his heart feel excited because she was a mystery waiting for him to solve it.

 

But that dress…

 

That cleavage and tightness…

 

It was not legal.

 

The dress she was wearing was red, and it was lighting the whole room on fire. The way it wrapped around all her curves was so hypnotizing that he could do nothing but blink again and again, focusing and unfocusing because his mind couldn’t seem to reset fast enough for him to actually be able to keep his cool for longer than a second.

 

The dress was short. No, it was too short. There was so much skin showing, yet he knew that the dress was hiding so much more that he didn’t even know what to do - accept the bait and look her over, betraying his thoughts to her watchful gaze behind the sunglasses that made her look like a runaway Hollywood star - she probably actually was one - or pretend that he wasn’t affected by such an astonishing image.

 

He gulped. Then he remembered how to close his mouth. And then he started acting as if his brain was actually working, when in fact, all its circuits have been fried the moment this creature had entered the room, bringing hotness that could not be handled by any of his sensors.

 

He raised an eyebrow and put on a mask of rowdiness that was bound to make her fall for him, looking at his nails in interest as if there was anything but dirt on them. He leaned on the car he had been supposedly fixing for the past two hours when in reality, he’d just unscrewed a couple screws and then screwed them back without checking for any real problems and then he crossed his arms while the lady approached him.

 

She was in very high heels, which were of course red, so it took a while.

 

He imagined what he’d say to her. Do you need for me to cool you down? Because you seem to be burning up, babe.

 

Are you a lighter? Because I want you to set my heart on fire, bae.

 

He’d managed to devise the perfect plan, but before he had the chance to sweep the princess off her feet, his coworker Jongin’s back became the only thing he could see in his field of vision.

 

“Do you smell something weird in here, miss?” His voice shifted into pathetic-playboy-act mode, and Luhan was already wanting to add a second black eye to join the one from yesterday where it belonged on his face. “Because if it ain’t the guy behind me, who hadn’t taken a bath in two months, then I think it must be my heart burning for you.”

 

Luhan struggled not to turn his irritation into outrageous wrath, since in front of them was a lady, after all, with a very interesting necklace around her neck - he struggled to keep his eyes from not straying downwards - but the awful things Jongin was saying were going to scare her away.

 

He wouldn’t have minded; actually, he would’ve been happy for whatever poor soul had gotten the chance to run away from someone as sloppy and unintelligent like Kai, but since it meant she would think he was a nutjob too, it was something he would not tolerate.

 

But then she laughed.

 

She actually straight-out laughed at the stupid thing that no-brain lowlife had said.

 

“Oh my God, that is so lame,” she said in a very high-pitched voice as she laughed, taking the sunglasses away, and squinting at him as if she had eyesight problems but refused to wear actual glasses.

 

She offered Jongin a hand, while Luhan gawked at her behind his shoulder, once again opening his mouth in clear disbelief because his tactics were actually working and Luhan hadn’t even gotten his chance to show his superior skills of sweeping women off their feet.

 

His eyes met hers, and the world seemed to have stopped for a moment. Nothing was left but the blue of her eyes, so unlike anything he’d ever seen that it left him baffled with radio silence in his head.

 

Wow.

 

“Thanks a bunch, Casanova,” she said, still giggling while Jongin made a mess out of kissing her hand instead of shaking it, “But I have come here to see Mr. Han, and I have a strong feeling that isn’t your name. Does he happen to be here?”

 

Well that was good news. Luhan took his opportunity, elbowing Jongin in the ribs in order to make him move to the side and free some space for the only guy this angel in red had come to see.

 

Meanwhile, Jongin protested, coughing as he backed away and putting his arms up in the air. “Hey, what’d you need that idiot for? I can do everything better than he does - and I’m smarter!”

 

“Well, you definitely aren’t more handsome, and I think that everyone here can judge who the smarter one is by our hair colors,” Luhan replied, not breaking eye contact with the queen of ice for a second as he insulted Kai.

 

But he was merely telling the truth - Kai had recently been experimenting with his hair - he was always experimenting with some part of his body - and in an attempt to make dreadlocks himself, he had incinerated his own hair, leaving it looking like an unsuccessful try of black dye. He refused to actually dye it in order to make it actually look better, saying that if he couldn’t have the dreadlocks, at least he could have this unique hairstyle.

 

Luhan doubted that it could even be called a hairstyle.

 

On the other hand, his hair was perfectly styled, perfectly pink with roots beginning to show - Lu thought it made him look more handsome, and judging by the woman that was specifically asking for him, the female species thought so too, so he was looking superior to Jongin in every way.

 

“I am Lu Han,” he said with uttermost respect, pronouncing his name in Chinese instead of the way everyone else called him, wanting to declare himself as a Chinese and show how proud he was of his family heritage. “What do you need me for, madam?”

 

“Oh, no reason to call me madam,” she said, closing his eyes as she gave him a sweet smile. He could see nothing but the two crescents staring back at him, until she opened her icy eyes again, nudging him out of his heat-induced stupor. “It makes me feel very old.”

 

She suddenly turned serious, and he knew she would be talking about business. He was trying to avoid work, but well, with a client this pretty, he would work until the winter if he had to. “I will be direct, Luhan. I have heard that you are the best mechanic around here and I have a car that I care about very much that needs fixing. I want you to be very careful with it, okay?”

 

He would’ve asked questions about the type and age of the car, but just then the garage door opened with Tao behind the steering wheel of a yellow Ford Mustang that looked completely new - no scratches or signs of crashes anywhere.

 

Perhaps he would manage to avoid having to work today, in this heat already.

 

“Whoa,” he heard Jongin say, which was exactly what he was thinking. The blonde’s mouth twitched into a smile that disappeared a second later because it was so self-satisfied.

 

He couldn’t help but leave the girl and shift his attention to the beauty that was in front of him. He touched the car’s hood hesitantly, as if afraid that he’d hurt it somehow, and he whispered, “Hey, baby,” as if the two already knew each other.

 

Oh, how he wished they did.

 

“And so his undivided attention goes to the car,” he heard her say somewhere behind him, and he couldn’t care less about her jokes. Nothing mattered but the fact that this car was hurting somehow and that he had to help it as soon as possible.

 

“I see what they’re saying about you is true, Luhan. My car will be in good hands.”

 

Now he just wanted her to leave and let him work on this masterpiece in peace, because he needed uttermost silence in order to be able to focus on the only important task at hand - the Mustang.

 

But then he got woken up from his daydream. “Now, is there a bathroom around here somewhere? Or a separate room where I can change clothes?”

 

What?

 

His employer said the same thing that was on his mind. “What? Madam, why would you want to do something like that here?”

 

“Well, obviously,” she snapped at him impatiently, “You don’t suppose I should work on my car dressed like this, do you, Mister Kyungsoo?”

 

Work on her car?

 

Once again his employer’s words were an echo of his own. “Work on your car? But madam, why on Earth would you work on your car when we have a shop of mechanics to do that instead of you?”

 

Luhan doubted her soft, small hands could even lift the hood of a car, let alone do anything else. But as she flipped her hair in a very different fashion than long-haired women did, and as she gave a speech to the whole workshop about how her car would not be left in the hands of anyone unattended and how nobody could touch the car until she came back, he kind of hoped that he was terribly wrong.

 

Soo took her to his small office she would probably be disappointed by himself, because she was obviously too important of a client to treat normally - if she saw normal Soo’s behavior, she would run from the place.

 

Or punch him in the face, which seemed like more of her thing.

 

Girls usually took a long time to change. Luhan wouldn’t know, since he only had one girlfriend, which was waiting for him at home and watching a new episode of Winx - he would go crazy soon if she didn’t lose interest in the damn fairies within a week.

 

And in a way, the woman that appeared in front of him a couple of minutes later - not an hour, like he’d predicted, reminded him of the strength that his daughter possessed. She was the only person that mattered to him, at the end of the day, and he would take sweat and working overtime and having to listen to Soo’s bickering over being unable to pay for her tuition every day.

 

“Okay, Luhan, let’s fix my baby up,” she said in a voice that was very different from her high-pitched laughing at Jongin when she’d first entered the shop. She sounded both business-like, as if she was going to get a project worth millions of dollars, and excited, as if she was going to do her most favorite thing in the whole world.

 

Why was it that Luhan kind of felt the same way?

 

“You are dismissed, Kyungsoo,” she said without turning around as she headed straight for Lu’s toolbox, taking out the tools that he used every day as if they were her own. Who was this woman and what was she even doing here?

 

And what did she mean by dismissing Soo, the owner of the shop?

 

Luhan turned with his eyebrows raised, unable to do anything but say, “What do you mean, madam?”

 

“Oh, it’s no big deal,” Kyungsoo began in a voice that sounded very nervous, shaking his head wildly. He looked like a penguin that had eaten something seriously wrong: his face was red and he was shifting from one leg to the other, all the while shaking his hands at Luhan, as if to stop him from speaking. “We are just going to close the shop for today, that’s all. You two stay here and work on the car in silence, and we’ll all just… uhm…”

 

There was definitely something wrong here. “What do you mean, no big deal, Soo? But this workshop means everything to you! You don’t want to miss out on a single customer, you even make all of us work overtime-”

 

“Will you just shut up already and start helping me?” Her voice was loud and angry, obviously losing patience, but Luhan refused to cave in to her impulses. Soo had a family to take care of, and so did every worker in the shop - they couldn’t just close it whenever a crazy customer arrived, demanding their undivided attention.

 

“I paid him more than enough to make up for the loss he is going to have today, if he closes the shop earlier. So quit your whining already and help me get under the car - I have done the lifting only once, so I don’t know if I can do it alone without getting crushed.”

 

Well, that was something he wanted to hear - that there would be no damage from her little endeavour. He nodded with his head, bid a quick goodbye to the hurrying employees, and started lifting the car with the help of various tools she couldn’t have possibly known how to use, no matter how good she thought she was at this job, just like she’d ordered.

 

Fifteen minutes later, he’d found out that, just like he’d imagined, she was very rich and educated and obsessed with sports cars, and that of course, this wasn’t her only car but that it was her favorite one, so she freaked out when it turned out that there was something wrong with it.

 

He wanted to bite his tongue, but he ended up telling her about his daughter. He couldn’t help it; he just felt like she would understand, though it would ruin any chance of ever having any chance to win this ice queen’s heart.

 

The temperature was dropping down, but whether it was because the sun was moving towards the west or because her eyes were so blue in contrast to the red dress she’d worn when she’d come, he did not quite know.

 

“So she made you put make up on?” She laughed as she slid underneath the car with a French key in her hand, having stopped explaining to him what she was doing a long time ago. The oversized plain white shirt she was wearing was already full of dark, black stains and her black pants were too tight for him to not take a look every now and then, even though he was trying to be civilized and not care about such things.

 

But she was acting like a mechanic, and he was basically there only because she didn’t know how to work with the more complicated tools in the workshop, so he was beyond irritated.

 

“Is that black eye a part of it?” She kept laughing in a muffled voice as she apparently unscrewed something and threw it onto the floor, judging by the sounds coming from under the car. He would’ve asked if she needed any help, but obviously she was fine and strong and independent and whatever.

 

Ugh. He was so irritated with everything.

 

“Nah, it’s…” He rolled his eyes at himself - why had he punched Kai in the first place? He had told himself it would bring him bad luck with the ladies. “I just had a disagreement with Jongin, the guy who’d thrown himself at you with those lame jokes when you first arrived. I don’t even remember what the fight was about.”

 

“Well, it makes you look more dangerous instead of ridiculous, if you ask me- Ah!” She made a pained sound as something seemed to come off the wrong way, possibly hitting her in the head.

 

Then the shop turned silent.

 

“Uhm, madam?” he began, not sure whether anything was actually wrong. He realized he didn’t even know her name to call her by, so he nudged her leg with his own. “Is everything okay down there?”

 

No answer. She didn’t even make a move.

 

He deemed that the Mustang was too high up for there to be any danger of it falling down onto her, but he checked whether the mechanism was keeping it safe up there anyway. Then he slid under the car too, instead of taking her out, because he wasn’t sure whether her head was trapped by something or whether the motion would hurt her.

 

Perhaps she’d breathed in too much gases and that rendered her unconscious?

 

As he slid under the car, his heart started beating wildly, because he couldn’t believe this was happening to him, and in an empty workshop of all places. Soo would not believe him - he would say that he’d done something on purpose to kill her and then he would end up in jail forever and-

 

Two strong hands caught him and brought him to her, who wasn’t dead or dying but staring at him with a wicked smile on her face.

 

“So I hear you’re a single dad,” she said, while he noticed what a contrast the stains on her face were compared to the light blue color of her eyes.

 

And then she brought his head to hers with much force - he wouldn’t have minded, but he had no idea what in the world was actually going on - and kissed him.

 

The dam broke.

 

To hell with modesty and trying to be noble and civil and not be affected by how hot she was.

 

He kissed her back with as much force as she was using to keep their faces mashed up together, which was a lot. He was tettering between the board she was lying on and his own, trying not to lose his balance and keep the contact between the two of them intact at the same time. And it was no easy task, because she wasn’t an unmoving statue - she was moving him towards herself, and herself towards him, like a wild wire with so much electricity in it that it couldn’t handle it anymore.

 

He couldn’t handle anything anymore either. But how had they ended up kissing underneath the car, he didn’t know. And he wasn’t going to complain about it.

 

When they stopped kissing for a second to take a breath of fresh air - or air full of various kinds of oils and chemicals, in their case, in the confined space between the Mustang and the ground, he realized that she’d done the whole faking-injury part on purpose.

 

He raised an eyebrow and prevented her from kissing him again, making him unable to think for as long as their lips were connected. “Wait a moment. Did you just lure me in here just to do this?”

 

He probably looked as astonished as he sounded, his mouth gaping open for the nth time that day as he stared at this mystery he had no idea how to solve that had come and swept him off his feet the moment she arrived to the shop.

 

She wiggled her eyebrows at him. “Can you blame me?”

 

Her fingers were at his working suit, as dangerous as , if not even more. “You told me you were single, you are a caring father to a beautiful girl, you’ve been staring at me like a piece of meat from the moment I got into this shop…”

 

She then brought their boards together, pulling him by the collar of his work suit. Damn it, whatever this whole strong-woman thing was, it was working. He was smitten by her.

 

“And apart from being deliciously handsome,” she whispered, getting dangerously close to his ear, “You are the best mechanic around, so I couldn’t resist but try you out for myself.”

 

“Oh?” His voice was playful, as her hot breath shifted to his neck, making him shiver as he gulped. This woman was going to burn him down, and he was going to love every second of it. “So, what is your verdict after trying the best mechanic around?”

 

Her eyes became two crescents again.

 

And then she was on top of him, making the already-confined space too crowded, since her back was now touching the car, and making the air that was already-too-hot-to-breathe impossibly hot.

 

But he wouldn’t need air anyway, because he knew his mouth would soon be too busy for doing anything but pleasing this wonder of a woman.

 

She kissed him again, and he let her have his way with him, at least for a minute, because she seemed too desperate to get a bit of him for herself. And well, just like she’d mentioned earlier, he was single and in desperate need of some action, so why not?

 

His hands went from her hair to her back, all the way to her sides, finally doing what he’d been wanting from the moment he’d seen her in that red dress. All those curves… He could do nothing but worship them with his touch while she panted into his mouth, hoping she would know just how much he appreciated them.

 

But when she parted their mouths again and dove in for his neck, he decided he’d had enough of her strength and dominance.

 

It was time to show her that the deer was so much more than a scared little Bambi.

 

And oh, they were both going to love every second of it.

 

Lu had a standard procedure for when his hands were too busy for him to push himself and the board away from the underside of the car. He just had no idea he would get to use the move while being kissed by an exquisite woman, and that his hands would be too busy roaming down her back to push himself away instead of working with cars.

 

He put both of his legs away from the board, and she immediately huddled closer to him, as if afraid she’d fall down. Good. She was already showing her true nature, and that was of a woman who was only pretending to be smart, when in reality…

 

“I’ve had enough of this,” he growled as he pushed them away from the car, from the confined space and the too-hot air and into the empty workshop, though the temperature did not change.

 

Instead, it raised even higher as he was quick to rise on his feet and take her up with him, pushing her onto the hood of the Mustang.

 

He’d been trying to banish the thoughts of doing exactly that from the moment he’d seen that car.

 

And as she complied with his wishes, letting him kiss her and have his way with her while he pressed her further into the mixture of plastic and metal and adrenaline and madness, he knew she was too far gone to care about what damage the car might receive from their endeavour. Good.

 

“Does this car even need fixing?” he said as he made his way down her neck, his hands finding her legs and guiding them to wrap around his waist. Damn it, her pants were really tight, leaving nothing to the imagination as he traced a path up them until he reached her waistline, stopping there and playing with their hem.

 

She laughed, leaning back until she was lying on the hood to give him better access to her neck and making a cute little sound as he found a spot that seemed to make goosebumps appear on her arms. “Of course it does,” she answered through a pant, making that sound again when he returned to the spot.

 

“I think…” she stopped as he pressed on the same spot, now pushing him away because he was making her sensitive, but he followed right after her and further into the car’s hood. “I think the AC is down and that it needs to be checked. It gets so hot in the Mustang... you wouldn’t believe it.”

 

He hummed, totally believing her words. “But I think,” he said as soon as his mouth were able to form words, now unable to stop himself from making a startled sound, too, as her hands sneaked under his shirt.

 

She started grazing her nails all over his back, and he instinctively pushed his frame even further into her, now able to feel every part of her against him, fitting perfectly well.

 

What was he thinking about again? It was hard to remember anything when she was pulling his hair again and bringing their mouths for another kiss, although much hotter and sloppier now.

 

“I think it’s hotter here now than it can ever be in the Mustang,” he somehow finished while her hands grabbed the hem of his shirt - his fingers were hooked in the belt hoops of her pants and wouldn’t budge - and tried to push it upwards.

 

He gave her a serious look, sobering up immediately.

 

It seemed to tell her enough, because she sighed and let go of him immediately, a very unhappy look on her face. He could swear she even growled for a second, and he knew that he’d denied himself a very good time, but he would not cross that line.

 

For the God’s sake, he didn’t even know what her name was. As much as his body wanted to, he would not let it go any further, even though she wanted to, too.

 

He got a hold of himself, still feeling hot and panting, but somehow able to make his arms and legs work and untangle himself from her, get up and step away from her and the car. Thankfully, it didn’t look as if they’d made any damage, but had it went further…

 

Her face changed within a second, now a look of pure innocence and happiness on it, as if they’d been chatting while drinking coffee instead of participating in a very hot getting-to-know-each-other.

 

Her make up was the only thing reminding him that everything that had happened was in fact real, the smeared lipstick and mascara making her face look too disheveled for her innocent look to be able to balance it out.

 

Her hair was the only tame thing about her, which said enough about how cool and professional he was looking.

 

The best part about it all was that he was the reason for it all. He’d managed to disassemble this raging fire and turn it into mush under his hands. His ego rose until it reached the ceiling, and she rolled her eyes at the smirk that broke out on his face.

 

“Do you seriously have to look so self-content, Casanova?” she repeated his previous remark for Jongin, and he laughed out loud. Man, he was feeling so happy - though it wasn’t quite the kind of action he’d wanted, this was the best action he’d gotten since… hell, it was the best action ever and he’d managed to keep this woman’s pride intact, too.

 

“Nah, leave that title for my friend Jongin. You can call me the best mechanic around instead.” She beamed back at him, but the smile didn’t reach her eyes. He knew a storm was going to break out soon.

 

And of course, she opened mere seconds later. “Why’d you stop, though? I mean, it’s okay, but… we didn’t have to-”

 

“The last time I lost control, I ended up having a daughter,” he said, cutting her off swiftly. “She is the best thing that has ever happened to me, yes, but I don’t intend to repeat mistakes and ruin people’s lives in the process.”

 

“Oh…” she said, furrowing her eyebrows and biting a lip. “I haven’t thought about that for a second. I mean, I didn’t know…” She trailed off carefully, her icy eyes seemingly getting bigger as she assessed his reaction. He didn’t like feeling like a lab rat, and he most definitely didn’t like the awkwardness that seemed to be extinguishing the fire between the two of them, so he tried to change the subject.

 

“What’s your name, though? You never told me.” Come to think of it, he felt as if he was supposed to know, but whether it was because of her being famous or for some other reason, he did not know.

 

“So you really don’t recognize me,” she said, a smile breaking out on the face. She slowly metamorphosed from a hot, self-confident experienced woman into someone much more younger, innocent and familiar. But no, he couldn’t put a finger on it and name what she was reminding her of, though her eyes… they definitely reminded him of something.

 

“I am Lamiya, you dweeb,” she finally breathed, hitting him playfully in the chest with a fist, and laughing out loud. “We went to high school together, remember? I work in your daughter’s school as a teacher. Art? Strawberry donut? Doesn’t ring a bell?”

 

Luhan’s brain stopped working. She was giving him too much information for him to be able to sort out through anything. So they actually knew each other? How on Earth could he have forgotten someone like her?

 

“Wait, what? Strawberry donut?” he screeched, the pieces slowly falling into place. “You mean, as in the overweight redhead I attended Art classes with? But- but-”

 

For the nth time that day, his mouth opened and didn’t stop until it reached the floor.

 

She raised her eyebrows, waiting in anticipation for him to understand everything. She was looking so satisfied with herself.

 

“But that can’t be possible!” He tried to reason - with himself or her, he didn’t know. “But you were like, your hair was long and red and you were overweight and-”

 

He stopped talking, because the eyes, the eyes were the only thing that was right in this whole highly-unlikely scenario.

 

“It’s been years, Lu,” she said, her cheeks heating up for the first time since she’d entered the shop, and her change from a heroine into a little girl was complete. “People change. But I guess their first loves don’t…”

 

She trailed off, and he was too dumbfounded to say anything. Did she mean…

 

She laughed, waving him away and rolling her eyes at herself. “Just kidding, just kidding. It’s nice seeing you again, Luhan.”

 

She gave him a smile that made his heart start beating faster.

 

He could not get over the feeling that she wasn’t kidding. It made him so proud that he hadn’t made another mistake, because this was someone who deserved nothing but respect.

 

And love.

 

“You know, I kind of liked you more when you were overweight,” he couldn’t help but say, remembering how puffy her cheeks were and how shy she was back in the day. Yes, she’d often had a hard time because of her weight, but he had never minded it. The red hair was kind of eccentric, but now that she was a blonde, it seemed as if the girl from high school who’d tortured herself in order to lose weight was finally set free and in her place was a brave, beautiful young woman that was, most importantly, happy.

 

He could feel the happiness radiating off her, and his heart constricted because he was the source of her happiness- at least a part of it. “Not that I don’t like you now, but… Man, look at yourself, Lamiya. You are beautiful.”

 

She smiled, and he lost his cool again.

 

Man, it was a hot summer’s day in Kyungsoo’s Workshop.

 

He had a feeling his daughter’s school would soon become a very hot place, too.

 

And he would start visiting it much more often.

 

Much, much more.