Song of Life

Song of Life

 

“What brings you here?” the man on the throne says.

Jonghyun thinks about his journey to this place. To the underworld. He takes a breath.

“Love.”

The man on the throne scoffs, but the woman next to him perks up with interest.

“This is a far place to go for love.”

“There’s no place my love will go that I will not follow.”

The man and woman share a look.

“Tell me the story of your love and how you came to this place before you make your request.” she says, twinkle in her eye.

Jonghyun puts his harp down at his feet, centering himself before beginning.

“We were children together. Neighbors. I am -- was -- a year older. My mother always said that I had a certain penchant for my love from first cries she made. We’ve always watched out for each other. Fondness just came naturally to us. There’s never been another, for either of us. From childhood to adolescence to now, it’s always been the two of us together. We were married last spring. We built our home together. We were hoping to start having children soon...”

He trails off, overcome by grief. The man and the woman stay as they are, though there’s a certain softness in the woman’s face. After a moment, he regains himself.

“At the end of the summer, she was out walking near some fruit trees that grow near our home. There was a snake laying in the grass and it bit her. I heard her screams and ran as quickly as I could. I managed to reach her before her last breath, but it was too late to save her. I am a musician by trade, and she was...is my only muse. I had acquired some degree of fame for my love songs during our adolescence. That’s how I got the money to build our home. After she died I lost them all. I cannot sing or play a single happy note, even if my own life depended on it. I’ve wandered around for so long. I cannot find peace without her. One night, I met a man who told me that I might be able to see her if I was willing to journey. So I took his instructions and followed them to a tee. Across a desert, through a valley, into the door in the mountain. Now I stand before you.”

The woman looks almost moved to tears while the man has finally shown interest.

“You say you are a musician. Play your mourning song for me.” the man says, leaning forward.

Hesitantly, Jonghyun leans forward and picks up his harp. The notes come easy to him now, the melody familiar enough that he felt like he’d heard it his entire life. As he starts to add a vocal harmony, the woman sheds a tear. There are no words to his song, just her name over and over again, and yet the man looks as if he’s moved by something said. There’s a silence when he finishes the song. He sets his harp down once more, waiting for a response.

“What was her name, pray tell?” the woman says softly, unable to hide the tears from her voice.

“Minjung. My love’s name is Minjung.”

The woman whispers to the man, and he stands suddenly.

“Mortal, I have been moved by your song. It is not often that I am moved and not often that my wife makes requests of me. Minjung shall return with you, but only there are conditions. The tunnel that brought you here, that is how you will exit this place. She will follow behind you. If you manage to make your way out of the tunnel and fully into the light without looking back, she will return to you just as she was before. As healthy and lively as the day you were married. If you look but do not see her, she will return with you, but her body will not last. She will rot before two summers pass. If you look back before you reach the light and you see your love’s face, she will return here and you will have to find a way to live without her. Do you accept my terms?”

Jonghyun looks down at his harp and then back at the man.

“May I see her before we leave?”

“No.”

He looks towards the tunnel. When he looks back, the woman has a pleading face.

“I accept the terms.”

The man smiles and snaps his fingers. The fog in the chamber begins to swirl, a haunting melody echoing through the air.

“I am calling her up from below now. When you go, she will follow. Remember my terms.”

Jonghyun nods and starts walking towards the tunnel, harp in hand.

“Good luck!” the woman calls from behind.

Not eager to end his challenge before it begins, he does not turn back, merely waving in what he thinks is the right direction. By his own estimate, it had taken him three hours to go down the tunnel. He hopes it’s a shorter trip back up. He starts climbing and before long he begins to sense the distinct feeling of being followed.

“My love? Is that you?” he whispers, trying to resist the urge to turn and see.

No response.

“He probably won’t let you speak, will he? That’d make it too easy if I could hear you. We’ll make it out of here, I promise. It’s just like that time when you fell into the well and I pulled you out. We just have to have faith.”

He falls silent to focus on climbing. As time goes on, the urge to look only gets stronger. At the halfway point, the rocks below him give out. He closes his eyes as quickly as he can as he feels himself turning round onto his back.

“Don’t worry, my love. I can’t see, my love. It’s just a trick, my love.” he repeats, trying to sound as soothing as he can.

Because of how the rocks fell, the ground has become much flatter than before, and it’s difficult to tell which way is up and which way is down.

“Oh, I wish I had your height, my love. Then I could reach the ceiling of this tunnel and feel out which way is up.”

Keeping his eyes shut, he starts making his way towards what he thinks is up.

“I think I’m going the right way, but I’m not sure. But I’m not confident enough. I’m going to just keep my eyes closed until I reach the door. Wish my luck, my love.”

By the two-thirds mark, he gets anxious.

“If I could have just seen you...if I could just know it’s properly you...”

He begins to hum to himself, then stops in his tracks. His harp. He must’ve dropped it when he fell. He goes to turn back but stops.

“You’re more important to me than any possession could ever be.”

He continues on.

Eventually, he makes it to the door. He opens it and takes four steps out, making sure that he’s completely out of the tunnel before opening his eyes. To his dismay, the sky is dark.

“My love, there’s no light with which to see. We’ve reached the surface, but I’m still afraid to lose you. I’m going to start walking, until it becomes light. If you’re here and I’ve already finished the task, then tell me. If not, I’ll just keep walking. I’ll leave the door open for you.”

He pauses, waiting for a response. When there is none, he starts walking again, as slow as he can. Eventually the sun begins to rise. Once he realizes he has a shadow, he turns around. To his relief and delight, Minjung’s standing in the doorway to the tunnel. He runs back towards her despite his exhaustion. When he reaches her and helps her out of the tunnel he’s thrilled to feel a warm pulse. He places a kiss on each ruddy cheek holding her as close to him as he can manage. It takes a minute for them both to realize they’re crying.

“Oh, I missed you, my love.” he whispers.

“How did you ever know where to come for me?” Minjung asks.

The sound of her voice sends a bolt of joy through him and he can’t help but kiss her instead of answering. In one smooth move he sweeps her off her feet and begins walking in the direction of the desert.  

“I’ll explain when we get home.”