Chapter 1

Love Me, If You Dare

Mark stares at the words on the screen. An email he received from his sister, last week, announcing her wedding. Mark could not believe after leaving home, seven years ago, he would have to return since his sister gave him no choice. The shock was not the fact that his twenty-year-old sister is getting married but the fact that he will have to face his family again after all these years. When his father let him move to the Los Angeles to major in business, he never thought it would be possible for him to ever leave the grasp of his family’s influence and make a life for himself in Los Angeles- a life he loves and would never give up for anything. Reading the words on the screen, Mark knows if he decided not to go to his sister’s wedding, she would hate him, and despite not wanting anything to do with his family, his mom and sister were the only exceptions. They spoke up on his behalf and helped convince his father to let him move to Los Angeles.  Mark sighs. After contemplating and thinking of ways to get out it, he decided to attend the wedding and told his mom that when he comes to Taipei it is solely for the wedding and nothing else, making her vow to speak to his father.

Mark closes the page and goes back to work, wanting to finish up everything he can before flying to Taipei on Friday. ZAM, a gaming company he has been working for three years is launching a new game, and his team oversaw the developing of it, a project Mark is sad to leave in the middle since he went through so much to get it.

“If you sigh anymore, the computer will fog up” teases Shay, his longtime friend, and colleague. Mark smiles, biting his lower lip, Shay was aware of the reason for his restlessness. Aside from her, there are not many people he can confide in him, not even his year-long boyfriend, who helped Mark embrace himself and not worry about his family. 

“This is going to the longest two weeks of my life,” he says quietly. Shay gazes at him concerned.

“Can’t you tell her you to have work and need to meet a deadline?” she says, “It would not be lying.” 

“I did,” he replies, “she said, ‘my marriage is a once in a lifetime event brother, if you don’t come, I’ll never forgive you.”

“Damn. Your sister is ruthless. It I can’t come with you, your family is intriguing.”

“If you think criminals are intriguing… no, I need someone I trust working on this project.”

 

As he wraps up his work, hoping this is not the last time, he will get to walk through those doors.  Mark looks at the watch, staring at the CEO’s office, a few feet away, through the glass door. The ceiling light illuminating the office, he sighs, wondering if he should bid goodbye before heading home. Even though his coworkers aside from Shay did not know of his relationship with the handsome CEO of ZAM, Brant Daugherty, Mark still felt weird going to his office. As if he can feel Mark’s gaze, Brant looks up from his computer, smiling at him. Mark smiles back at him

“He’s pulling another all-nighter,” says Shay, “Want to grab dinner?”

“Huh?”

“I just came from Brant’s office,” she says, “He asked to tell you he is going to stay late.”

“Let’s go grab dinner then,” says Mark, picking up his backpack and gets up from the chair.

 

Mark and Shay arrive at an all-night Taco Shop near the office, they frequently go to. They scan the place for an empty table and found one in the back and head towards it. He takes off his backpack and places near him while Shay places her bag on the table. The Taco Shop was like a small restaurant and yet nowhere near a restaurant yet the food there was nothing like Mark has ever tasted. He loved the simplicity of it more than anything, if any of his siblings were to see him, they would laugh. The heir of Green Group or GG is eating outside at a taco shop, in the shape of a hut. A young Hispanic girl, they know as Cristina comes to them, as regulars the girl instantly recognizes him, smiling and greeting them. They greet her back and make their orders, Mark orders chicken four chicken tacos with a bottle of Sidrai Mudet Soda. He turns to Shay who makes her order of a plate of carne asada tacos (beef tacos) with a glass of Pepsi. Mark looks up at the sky, appreciating the cool breeze against his skin.

“It’s weird that your sister is getting married,” says Shay. Mark chuckles. It was not strange to him for his sister to get married at a young age, she has always been someone who puts her all in a relationship even though it backfires sometimes. With their family, it was hard to trust anyone, people usually have ulterior motives to befriend them, so he was happy she found someone she loves, and their parents approved of. Another waitress comes back with their orders, placing the recyclable paper plates on the table with their drinks. They thank her, and she tells them to enjoy, walking away.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………. .............................................................................................................................

 

Friday came earlier than Mark anticipated, his flight was at six o’clock pm, hoping to arrive in Taipei in the morning. Mark picks up a small towel wiping his face, brushing his hair back. Brant approaches wrapping his arms around him, pulling him closer. Mark flinches startled,

“Very jumpy aren’t you,” says Brant chuckling. Mark laughs, his occupied with thoughts and worries about seeing his family again in person after a long time. He leans his head back against Brant’s hard chest, gazing into his eyes through the mirror.

“How about joining me for a dinner date tonight before leaving?” whispers Brant, moving in for a kiss. Mark feels his soft lips graze against his neck, a gesture he knows makes Mark’s weak in the knees, revealing his ual desires. Mark turns to face him, leaning in as his eyes close, parting Brant’s lips and gathering his mouth, his lips, as Brant pulls him closer by his small waist. They pull apart, gazing into each other’s eyes,

“I wish I could come with you,” whispers Brant.

Mark chuckles, “I wish you could too, but my family is…”

“I know,” says Brant, pouting, which was a funny thing to witness from a twenty-nine-year-old man, but Mark loved it, “I don’t want to pressure you to come out to them, but a man can hope right.” Mark leans in biting his lips, gazing into his eyes in a childish and teasing manner. Brant lift his chin and kisses his neck, his stubble tickling him. They burst out laughing,

“I love you,” says Brant.

“Me too.”

“Sorry I can’t take time off today,” says Brant, “I wanted to spend the whole day with you.”

“I’m not going forever,” teases Mark, “Are you sure you can survive without me.”

“Probably not,” says Brant, leaning in but Mark turns to the side, “What?”

“You’re going to be late.”

“I’m the boss.”

“Yeah but examples are good,” teases Mark, “Besides, you have until six o’clock.”

 

Mark waves at Brant goodbye as he drives away heading to work, he closes the door and heads inside to check his suitcase, so he doesn’t run around later. He opens the door, staring at the black suitcase leaning against the wall. He sits on the bed, staring at the framed family photo on top of the drawer, next to the photo of him and Brant. His hands starting to tremble, he rubs them together as if he were cold. He still could not wrap his mind around the fact that he is going to his family. He fears to see his father again more than anything since the last night they spoke, the conversation ended with his father calling him a traitor for choosing to pursue another career path and reside in Los Angeles. the things we do for family.

 

The day went back quickly, the sun was shining down on the city of Los Angeles, and yet Mark and his friends were having a dinner party. The party consisted mostly with Brant’s close friends, as Mark never really sought out to make friends aside from Shay. Being a Tuan meant questioning everyone you let in your life so instead of living a life full of doubt, Mark decided it would be better to keep his circle of friends small. Despite Brant insisting that he go out more and make friends, Mark without telling him the real reason let him think it was due to his shyness that he liked being in a small circle of friends. As the chattering and laughter went on, Mark standing near the window staring into the abyss, his eyes not focused on a thing but rather just looking at everything and nothing. He sighs, wondering how long the party was going to go on, he only has an hour left to go to the airport. He had hoped when Brant said dinner date he meant inclusively not with all his friends present.

“Hey stranger,” says Shay, squeezing his shoulder, “Why are you standing alone?” Mark shrugs his shoulders, glancing over at Brant who was occupied with his friends.

“No reason,” he replies with a smile.

“Yeah he loves to party,” says Shay, “Remember how we thought we were gonna get in trouble when we through that part at work during the break?”

“We?”

“You were present,” she says, “Anyway, instead he joined it, and from that moment on you guys became inseparable.”

Mark smiles remembering the first time, he had a non-work-related conversation with Brant, learning how much he loves to party. A year has passed since then and he still has not changed, living and enjoying life as it comes. Must be nice not looking over your shoulders all the time, he wonders. Shay clears , moving closer to him.

“Don’t you think you should tell him the truth about your family?”

Mark scoffs, “No way, are you crazy?”

“No, but what if…”

“What if what?”

“What if something happens?”

Mark sighs, “My mom assured me that my dad will not try to force me to stay.”

“Okay, because I really need you to come back Mark,” says Shay, “This place won’t be the same without you.”

“Hmm? You trying to say you’ll miss me?”

“Don’t be an idiot.”

“Hmm? If I was not dating you, I would think you two are a couple,” teases Brant as he approaches them. Shay flips him off, giving Mark’s hand a squeeze before walking away to join the party.

“What’re you whispering about?” Mark shrugs his shoulders.

“Nothing important.” Brant looks at his watch, the smile on his face disappearing.

“Two weeks without you.”

“They’ll be over before you know it,” says Mark, “I need to head out soon though, I want to be there an hour early.”

“Yes, let’ me tell these clowns to head on home, so we can take you to the airport.”

 

There were screens of arrival and departure times on the wall of the airport as soft classical music played in the background. Mark in his white t-shirt, black ripped jeans, and a blue sweater clenches the handle as he pulls the suitcase behind him, his heart beginning to race as he gets near the check-in desk. He turns around, looking at Brant and Shay whose sadden expression reflected on him.

“Well, here I am,” he says.

“Looks it,” says Brant.

“Oh, come here,” says Shay, grabbing and wrapping her arms around him, “Make sure to have loads of fun and remember you’re there for your sister.” Mark smiles, nodding his head, tears linger in his eyes, but he chuckles to suppress them.

“These are going to be the longest two weeks of my life,” says Brant.

“You’re telling me, I’m the one who has to spend two weeks back in the closet.” They burst out laughing as a departure announcement comes on. Mark glances over at the line and People were lined up at the check-in desk with suitcases and baggage. Sadness mixed with excitement and nervousness was explicit on their faces.

 

Brant laughs, pulling him in and wrapping his strong arms around him, and Mark does the same, burying his face against his chest.

“When you come back, I’ll be right here waiting. I love you,” whispers Brant as his lips linger near his ear. Mark sighs, holding him tighter, already missing him. Taking in every inch and scent of his. They pull apart and Brant kisses him on the lip, and they start making out. Shay clears to make her annoyance clear.  

“Some of us are single, you know?” she teases. Laughing they stare at her, Brant caresses his face, giving him one more kiss.

“Right, I’ve got to go,” he says.

Mark walks away with his luggage checking his passport once or twice.

“Tell your sister congratulation for us!” says Shay, waving at him. Mark smiles and waves back at them.

 

The steps that he took forward on those sleek silvery tiles of the airport floor were trembling as he heads to the check-in line. Taking a glance back, his stomach was filled with knots, EVA Air was one of his family’s Subsidiaries so getting the first-class seat was not a problem especially since his mom gave him two choices, either have the family’s private jet come to pick him up or fly first class. Not wanting to make Brant question him with, even more, he decided to go with the EVA Air first class. The thirteen-hour-long flight to Taipei is what he needs to prepare himself for how he is going to face his father. The man who has people of Taipei bowing and trembling with fear and respect. A man whose shadow reaches far beyond the sky’s limit. How is he going to face a man feared by the entire country? To this day, Mark never knew how he managed to stand up to his father years ago, sometimes he would wake up thinking it was all a dream. A dream he fears he must wake up from soon as he heads towards the desk. As the lady smiles and greets him, Mark turns around but sees his friends nowhere in sight.