The Letter

stolen hearts

College campuses are her favorite spots to work in. They're just too easy, especially the campuses for those really gifted universities. The students either come from rich enough families to be able to go someplace so exclusive, or they're so smart they end up stupid when it comes to simple common sense. They're the perfect targets for Hyelin. She can always make a good profit swiping from those stupid college kids.

There's a higher path that Hyelin camps out on that allows her to scout the people walking a bit below. She leans against the library's outer walls, watching the path further down the hill. She watches, waiting for her perfect target to just come walking along. It doesn't take long for Hyelin's eyes to catch sight of the latest student walking that path, and her lips curve into a grin at the sight. She's perfect.

The student, Hyelin guesses, is around the age of a sophomore. Since it's the late fall, it's fairly cold, and the student's wearing a heavy jacket of a rich fabric. That's Hyelin's first tell that this student is her perfect target: the designer clothes. The second tell is that the student is holding nothing, though there's a bit of a bump within the jacket's one pocket. Hyelin knows it can't be a phone because she can see the phone's silhouette inside the girl's front jean pocket. That must make the object in the jacket pocket a wallet, Hyelin assumes. The only obstacle that presents itself is the student tucking her hand into that one jacket pocket, like she's holding onto whatever's inside like she's afraid she'll lose it. Hyelin snickers at that. The student has good reason to be afraid.

Hyelin peels herself off the wall and starts walking on the higher path parallel to the student on the lower one. She keeps a faster pace than the student, knowing that she'll have to get far enough ahead for her trick to work. She watches the student every step of the way, hoping that the student would take their hand out of their pocket to give Hyelin easier access. That doesn't seem to be the case, but as if something so small could deter Hyelin. She's experienced. She has a plan.

Hyelin jogs to get a sizeable lead over the student and she merges onto the same path as her, though they walk towards each other. From there, Hyelin can get a better view of the student's face, and Hyelin can see just how tense she is and how nervous she looks. Hyelin frowns, feeling a pang of sympathy for whatever the student is going through, but it doesn't stop her from carrying out her plan.

The student has a face Hyelin can just tell makes her easy to deceive, so Hyelin opens the settings on her phone and pulls up the ringtone selection before tucking her phone back into her coat pocket, thumb hovering over the screen. She waits until they're only a few meters apart before she taps the screen and causes the ringtone she taps to resound loudly. Hyelin watches as the student thinks it's her ringtone, and she uses both hands to pull out her phone from her jeans pocket to see if someone's calling her. It only provides Hyelin a brief moment to full access to the student's jacket pocket, but it's all Hyelin needs.

Hyelin slips her fingers into the jacket pocket as she walks past the student, capturing the wallet between her index and middle fingers and sliding it out of the pocket with ease. She quickly tucks the wallet into her long coat and keeps walking, raising her phone to her ear and pretending to answer a call to play along with the ruse. She gets a few meters away and notices she's in the clear and snickers to herself. Too easy.

She stops a little ways away and opens the wallet with an eager grin to see what's inside, but something drops out of the wallet at her feet. Hyelin blinks and picks it up, brushing off some of the specks of dirt. It's a piece of folded blue paper, and her curiosity gets the better of her and she opens it. Hyelin glances it over for a quick second and notices it's a letter addressed to someone named 'Arin.' Might as well read what the letter's about…

Hyelin doesn't know what she's expecting, but what she reads definitely is nowhere close to what she could imagine. It's some sort of love letter, a confession maybe, and even though Hyelin is a dropout she knows enough from early high school literature classes to know this is some rich, masterful writing. The words of the letter are so beautiful, so poetic, so sweet and warm and soft. She can tell that every ounce of that girl's heart went into writing this letter, and even though Hyelin knows she isn't that Arin person, reading that letter still takes her breath away. She folds the letter again and lets out a long, heavy breath to compose herself, shaking her head to snap out of it. Hyelin just frowns and looks down the path again, watching that student walking away. Now Hyelin feels kind of bad…

Drawing in a sharp breath, Hyelin psychs herself up enough to start walking towards that girl again. She opens the wallet and checks the I.D. inside, finally getting a name to that face. Heeyeon. Cute name.

Hyelin follows Heeyeon for a little while from her sizeable distance away, hands nervously fidgeting with the wallet every step of the way. She doesn't know what's come over her, but she doesn't really want the wallet anymore. She feels too bad, and Heeyeon needs that letter back. It really is a beautiful letter… and Hyelin doesn't want Heeyeon to have to rewrite it. It's a masterpiece the first time Heeyeon writes it. Doing it again might ruin it…

Hyelin only gets so far until she sees Heeyeon walk into a building, only accessible by a keycard. She twists her lips and puffs her cheeks out at the sight. A quick sizeup of the building shows that there's really only one entrance, so maybe Hyelin can just wait. She finds a nearby bench and plops down on it, closing her eyes and letting out a sigh.

Without being able to help it, Hyelin pulls out the letter again and opens it, reading it over again. Hyelin doesn't know why she comes back to the letter, but she finds something really captivating about it. It's wrong, she thinks, getting so worked up over a letter meant for someone else that she stole, but she really can't help it and she keeps trying to block out the name 'Arin' at the top as she reads it. Hyelin kind of hates it, how a simple pickpocketing job leads to her not only feeling bad but wanting to return what she stole. She wants to see Heeyeon again too, which is something even more ridiculous, she thinks.

Hyelin just sighs and folds the letter again, tucking it back into the wallet and putting both inside her coat pocket. She leans forward and puts her head in her hands, groaning when she feels just how warm her face is. Heeyeon was supposed to be the perfect target, not Hyelin's worst nightmare…

Hyelin's jolted from beating herself up mentally by hearing someone shout a familiar name nearby.

"Arin!" A masculine voice calls. Hyelin looks up immediately and glances towards the source. She sees a man, the voice she presumes, approach a smaller woman, and they embrace. Hyelin furrows her eyebrows at the sight. She didn't expect Arin to be a girl… For some reason that revelation excites her, though she doesn't stay that way for long.

Hyelin watches as the two of them talk amongst themselves, very close and inside each other's personal space. It brings a frown to her face the more she watches, yet she's also surprised. It seems like Arin isn't available… She immediately thinks of Heeyeon and how crushed she would be if she found out. It kind of breaks Hyelin's heart, and she isn't even the one with a crush on this Arin girl. Her crush is on someone else…

Hyelin lets out a sad sigh upon seeing Arin and the guy kiss and walk away together, holding hands. She's so busy watching that she doesn't see how the door to that one building opens, and someone steps out and gets as far as the bench Hyelin's sitting on until they freeze.

Sensing someone near her, Hyelin looks over and see how Heeyeon is standing by her, looking off into the same direction Hyelin was moments before. She must've seen it, then…

Hyelin can see Heeyeon clench her fist and let out a sigh, and that just breaks Hyelin's heart even more. Hyelin practically leaps off the bench and faces Heeyeon, determined to make her feel better.

"Pfft, who cares about that Arin chick, anyway? I've heard terrible things about her." Hyelin says, huffing and crossing her arms. She can't bring herself to look Heeyeon in the eye for some reason. It's a little too much for her.

Heeyeon looks surprised by this girl suddenly yelling at her, and she's a little mortified that she knows about Arin. "Is it that obvious…?" Heeyeon asks quietly, glancing away.

"Uh, yes? I mean, no?" Hyelin shakes her head and quickly changes the topic, pulling Heeyeon's wallet out of her pocket, "H-Hey, did you drop this by any chance?" That should work.

Heeyeon blinks and looks at the item in Hyelin's hand. "...Yeah, it is. Thanks. I didn't even know I dropped it." She reaches out for it when Hyelin passes it over, and she opens it up and grabs the letter before tucking the wallet away, "Well, guess I won't need this anymore…" She mutters, tearing the letter up and walking over to the nearest trash can to throw it away.

Hyelin winces and watches on sadly as Heeyeon destroys the letter, but it's not like she can protest it. She just closes and accepts it. She can only imagine what Heeyeon's going through. "Like I said, I've heard horrible things about her. But forget about her already… I uh… I'm gonna grab something to eat! And you can come with me if you want…" Hyelin flashes a smile and moves her hands behind her back, reaching into her coat sleeve to pull out some money she lifted from Heeyeon's wallet while handing it back, "It's even on me…"

"Well…" Heeyeon looks Hyelin over before shrugging and grinning faintly, "If you're paying, then I'm not one to say no."

"Sweet." Hyelin grins, perking up, "I know a place I can take you. It's as much food as you can eat."

"Sounds perfect!" Heeyeon immediately cheers up at the thought of food, "And, heh… Thanks. I'm Hani, by the way."

"Hani?" Hyelin repeats, turning around and starting to walk away, "That's some nickname. I'm Hyelin."

"Huh? How'd you know it was a nickname?" Hani asks as she follows Hyelin.

Hyelin's eyes shoot wide. "Uh… Lucky guess? Yeah…"

That answer seems to appease Hani and she just shrugs. "Fair enough…"

Hyelin can't help but crack a smile to herself as they walk together.

Hani really is one of those smart but stupid college kids…