1..

Oblivious

The pencil made a soft, soothing sound as it shaded the sketch lightly. Kibum hummed quietly, right foot tapping slightly as he fidgeted, and a gentle sway of the classical music coming from the portable speaker sitting on the desk to his right. He’d clean up the sketches and scan them into the computer later, for he had once tried the tablet and despised the feeling of it in his hand. He enjoyed the texture of the paper as he moved across the parchment, the way a finely sharpened pencil felt as it’s line was pulled, and the way the eraser squished just a little when he used it to make a mistake disappear. He stopped moving the pencil, tip still against the sketch pad when the door to his office opened. Not that he needed it to in order to know who it was, all glass of the inner wall took away the necessity. He smiled easily though, “Hey, Minho.”

 

“There were donuts in the breakroom. I saved you a jelly-filled.” Minho slipped in, the glass door closing soundlessly behind him, and slid the donut onto the desk on it’s napkin. “That weird girl in accounting was eyeing it.”

 

Kibum softly snorted. “Well thank you for saving it from the world of numbers.”

 

“You’re very welcome.” Minho scowled for a minute at the sprinkle that fell on his white button up. “What are you up to this weekend?”

 

“Mm, the usual.” Kibum pushed his sketch pad forward with the tips of his fingers and placed the pencil along the binding. After wiping his hands on the damp cloth to his right he lifted the donut closer. “Tomorrow I’m going over Jinki’s for our weekly dinner. Gonna take Garcons over there for the first time, see how he fares against the chickens that guard the back porch.”

 

“You sound like you’re dating him.” Minho paused to his fingers of chocolate icing before asking, “Are you?”

 

Kibum’s boisterous laughter probably could be heard across the building. “Me? Dating Jinki? Hilarious.”

 

“Well, either way, I hope you have a good time.” Minho grinned as he stood, dropping his napkin in Kibum’s wastebasket. “I’ll see you on Monday.”

 

As the door closed behind the man Kibum scooped some of the jelly from his donut with his finger and as he ate it slowly he laughed quietly to himself. “Yeah.. dating Jinki.. Hilarious.”

—–

Saturday Night

The sun was setting on the horizon. The few cows were grazing up on the hill, causing a beautiful silhouette. Kibum stepped out of his car, small poodles following after him and causing a billow of dirt to flow into the air around their feet. He glanced around as he closed the door, the food he brought to make in the bag in the back seat. He spotted Jinki through the open barn door, rubber boots on his feet and his big silver bucket Kibum knew to be the feed for the horses. He looked away from the horse trying to get to the bucket when he heard the yaps of the dogs. The smile on his face spread easily, even with the dirt splattered on his face. “Hey! Is it dinner time already?”

 

“Yeah,” Kibum snorted when the horse, the nameplate telling him their name was Chu, knocked against the gate again out of impatience. “It seems you’re being too slow.”

 

“Just because you’re pregnant Chu Baby doesn’t mean you get special treatment. HEY!” Jinki stepped far enough away so his shirt wasn’t in reach of her teeth. He pouted, “You’re being an because we have company, aren’t you?”

 

She whinnied in response. Jinki grumbled as he opened the gate and poured the oats into her pale. He was running his hand over her coat when Kibum quietly said, “But you love her.”

 

“She’s my favorite, but don’t tell the others.” Jinki grinned before stepping out and locking the gate behind him. “Let’s get inside. Garcons is picking a fight with the wrong hen.”

 

Kibum whipped around just in time to see the bird peck rapidly at the tiny puppy and rushed to scoop him up. “Oh baby no, no, not Mrs. Pots. She’s mean.”

 

As they headed out Jinki gestured toward Commedes, walking as far away as he could from the chicken. “They learn though.”

 

Jinki slipped his boots off on the back porch, tossing them onto the grass along the steps. Kibum had already dropped the slippers Jinki placed on the table down beside him. Jinki took the leashes from him so he could run down and get the food from his car. He returned just as Jinki was pushing open the door. “Yes, yes guys air conditioning.”

 

Commedes ran straight for the first cat bed in sight as soon as the leash was off his collar as usual. Garcons was a little more hesitant. He was just a tiny dog in a big new world. Jinki was leaning against the archway leading into the kitchen watching him slowly make his way into the big living room as Kibum carefully unloaded his bag. “I thought we could have garlic pasta.”

 

“Sounds great Kibum.”

 

“Oh and you already have the wine chilling, wow I love you.”

 

“It’s white of course it’s chilled.” Jinki hummed. “I think Garcons has found his spot.”

 

“Let me guess,” Kibum quietly spoke as he straightened with the pots and skillet he needed. “On your recliner?”

 

“Exactly. How the did you know that?”

 

“He sleeps in mine all the time.” Kibum untwisted the bag of garlic. “Are you going to help me or lay with my dog like the last hundred times?”

 

“I help!” Jinki exclaimed as he turned away from checking on the pups and walked to the edge of the counter to lean against it on his elbows. He smiled cutely. “I eat everything you make for me. I make dishes easier.”

 

“Uh huh.” Kibum scuffed, tossing a napkin at him. “Wipe off the counter and go shower. You smell like a farm.”

 

“Yeah, yeah I’m going I’m going.”

—–

 

The timer on the oven was beeping when Jinki’s soft footsteps could be heard coming down the hall. His hair was still a little damp. He was wearing blue plaid pajama pants and a long sleeve t-shirt that Kibum was sure he had in college. The man perked up when he saw the garlic bread being placed on top of the stove. “Is that cheese?”

 

“No that’s bread.” Jinki glared at him, which was menacing at all as per usual, before grabbing a slice. He yelped softly at the temperature, breathing quickly on it to try and cool it down, before taking a bite anyway. Kibum crossed his arms as he leaned back against the kitchen island. “I’m surprised you even have any taste buds left with how often you burn them with your impatience.”

 

“Don’t make such delicious food and I wouldn’t have to.” Crumbs were falling out onto his lip and on his shirt as he spoke, words a little muffled from the mouth full of bread.

 

“You’re a mess.”

 

“Mm, no argument there.” Jinki put the rest of the bread on the plate on the right, knowing it was his by the extra cheese present on top. He grabbed both plates once Kibum placed his bread alongside his pasta. “You get the bottle Bum.”

 

He hooked his fingers around the two wine glasses carefully before curling his hand around the neck of the wine bottle, following Jinki out to his small dining room. The table only had places for up to four people, five if the squeezed, but Jinki wasn’t much for extensive visitors or guests… so it worked. Kibum popped the cork and poured them each a glass before taking his seat to the left of Jinki, back up against the white lace of his curtains that when open gave a beautiful view of the magnolia trees he had planted along his driveway.  “Anything exciting happen at work?”

 

Jinki laughed a little as he twirled his fork in his pasta, “I own a vet clinic. It’s not a day until some type of pet does some type of bodily relief on me.”

 

“That’s not exciting if it happens all the time,” Kibum scrunched his nose, a little grossed out. Then he remembered the story Jinki was telling him on Wednesday and his eyes widened, “Whatever happened to that kitten?”

 

“Mm,” Jinki hummed as he finished his bite, “The underweight one that I should’ve put down?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Oh well, he’s in cat room.”

 

“Jinki~”

 

“What?” Jinki dipped his head, shy and embarrassed. “I had two cats, what’s another one?”

 

Kibum’s gaze softened, knowing deep down that the kitten was going to go home with Jinki no matter what. “Well after dinner you’ll have to show me them.”

 

“I have to feed him anyway!”

 

“Him, hmm? Have you named him?”

 

“Chip.” Jinki happily answered. “His front tooth was chipped when they brought him in so.. Chip.”

 

“You knew you were going to take him even before you weighed him, didn’t you?”

 

Jinki played with his food, swirling the noodles with his fork, cheeks a little pink as he mumbled. “I dunno what you’re talking about.”

 

“Mhmm.”

 

“Shut up.”

—-

 

The second movie’s credits were rolling as Kibum drank the last sip of wine from the bottle. Jinki’s eyes were beginning to close, for he had always been a sleepy type of drinker. The tipsier he felt the warmer he was, and the drowsier he became. He tugged his blanket tighter around his shoulder as he shifted his head against the couch cushion to look at him. “Are you ready for bed?”

 

“Should’ve been like 2 glasses ago but yeah.” Kibum’s gaze fell to his lap, where Jinki’s eldest cat Moe was stretched out like he owned the spot. “Don’t think he’s gonna like it though.”

 

Jinki unswaddled himself to scoop the fat cat up off Kibum. “Come on sweetie. It’s time for bed.”

 

Moe protested, as expected, but soon he slowly made his way down the hall to the right, toward the room where his big meant-for-a-dog bed was waiting for him. Commedes and Garcons were sleeping in the cat bed under the table. Kibum knew that Commedes would be okay, but Jinki still put out a pee pad he still had from puppy fostering just in case Garcons needed to go. “I hope he doesn’t go on your floors.”

 

“With what’s happened in this house, it wouldn’t be the first,” Jinki paused for a minute gathering his blanket. “Or last for that matter.”

 

Their glasses and the empty bottle was dropped off in the kitchen on their way down the left hallway, where the master bedroom was. Jinki tossed a pair of pajama pants on the bed for Kibum as he went to brush his teeth and wash his face before bed. One thing that had come out of being friends with Kibum for so long was his skincare routine. He was coming out finished when Kibum was walking in, picking up the toothbrush that was left in the cup for him.

 

Jinki was comfortable in bed, hugging his pillow tight. His glasses were folded and placed on his table. He squinted to see him coming in. “I think tomorrow I’m going to make waffles.”

 

“Waffles?” Kibum echoed as he lifted the blankets on the other side of the bed. It had been a few years since Jinki had bought this house and made it his home, and about that long since they had made Saturday nights their dinner night. He could remember Jinki’s ludicrous tone when he offered to sleep on the couch when it was far too late and he was far too tipsy to drive home. ‘I’ve put aloe on your when you fell asleep at the beach with a thong on. I think we can sleep in the same bed.’. Even now when Jinki had a guest bedroom, it was the routine. He was fussing with his pillow as he asked, “Why waffles?”

 

“I haven’t used the waffle maker you got me in a while.” Jinki softly explained, turning onto his back to be able to look over at him. “Unless you want something else.”

 

“No, no, waffles are good.” Kibum shifted onto his left side, hands under his cheek, smiling as he gazed over at Jinki. “Goodnight.”

 

“Mm, goodnight Bum.”

——

 

While Kibum showered and got dressed in the extra clothes he packed, Jinki went to work on the waffles. After breakfast, he would go out and take care of his animals. He was plating the first waffle when he heard Kibum coming from his bedroom. He had a toothbrush in his hand, toothpaste foam on his lip as he removed it to speak. “I keep telling you that shampoo is bad for your hair.”

 

“Does my hair look bad?” Kibum pauses, mid brush and looks at him fully. Jinki’s hair is everywhere from sleep, a little frizzy even, and he just bursts out laughing when the man smiles from ear to ear at him. Jinki almost drops the batter in his hand when the toothpaste foam starts coming out of Kibum’s mouth, threatening to drip onto his clean shirt. “Please go fix yourself before my tummy hurts too much from laughing to eat my waffle.”

 

—–