Wendy

Red Velvet Summer Series

The perfume department was offering a contest to come up with a new scent advertising campaign, Wendy was one of the employees who decided to step up to the plate. Her scent was Raspberry Explosion. She'd even come up with a slogan. The girl fixed her brunette and blonde locks into a bun and checked herself out in the mirror. It was showtime! The young woman strode out of the bathroom, head held high, into the presentation room. She knew everything about the scent, she had tested it out herself, it was relatively easy to make and the best part about it was the fact that it was environmentally friendly. Deep down, the gorgeous saleswoman was nerve-wracked, but she went through the enormous double doors of the auditorium head held high. However, she wasn't quite prepared for what she was about to see.

"And that's why I call it Raspberry Explosion!" Wendy blinked. There, behind the podium, was an overly bubbly pink haired gir,l and on the overscreen was a picture of a berry shaped spray bottle, with colorful splotches of red, pink, and magenta. This couldn't be happening. Somehow this woman had done the exact same campaign presentation as hers. A project she had been working on for months. This person had even used the same slogan. The presentation panel was now clapping loudly, they had liked it. Of course they would! 

"Brilliant!"

"Best idea we've heard all day!"

"I don't think we need to see anymore applicants today, do you? Looks like we've already found our-"

"Wait!" The brunette-blonde raced down the stairs, her heels digging grooves into the carpet. "Just a moment please!" The panelists turned to see a young woman with auburn-blonde locks racing down the auditorium steps. 

"Who are you?' a male panelist with salt-pepper colored hair asked.

"My name is Wendy," the huffed, catching her breath, "I had a presentation scheduled for 12:30-"

"Ah yes, the young woman from Yeosu,"  a middle-aged woman exclaimed, "Thank you for applying, but the position seems to have been already filled." The interviewer smiled at the pink-haired candidate on stage. 

Nervously Wendy looked from the interviewers' table to the screen and back to the panel; it was all so crazy, it seemed like a dream. The girl could hardly compose her thoughts. How on earth could Eun Ri have gotten her greedy hands on my presentation? Had all that work been for nothing? Think Wendy, think! Then the idea came to her.

"My application fee. I paid 75,000 won to participate in this campaign contest, and if my ideas are not going to be heard, then I want a refund." 

The grayish black haired man scoffed. "A refund? Who ever heard of giving a refund for a dissatisfied candidate?"

"Young lady, I'm afraid that at this point, a refund cannot be offered," another panel member explained, "That money will be used to fund the advertising plan for the winner."

At the stand, Eun Ri had her arms crossed with a rather pleased look on her face. "Sounds like someone is just being a sore loser," came the remark. Wendy gave the impostor a stinging glare. "If I can't get a refund, then please allow me three days to create another presentation. Once you hear my idea, and if you still like Eun Ri's the most, then I won't bother you about it."

The interviewers all looked at each other quietly for a moment, then the oldest lady said, "Well, you are the last candidate scheduled. I suppose it wouldn't be unreasonable to see your presentation first before making a decision. Very well, your request is granted, but no refunds!"

A wave of relief washed over the 24 year old. There was still a chance! "Gamsahabmida! Gamsahabmida!" Wendy bowed before heading back up the wide stairs. At least the contest committee hadn't turned her down completely; she would have now have to whittle down a month's worth of work into three days. She could do that, right? 

The perfume department employee was at a loss for words even as she walked to the subway and rode home, to when she stepped barefoot into her apartment. Her roommate was sitting on the floor eating a fried egg, and she looked back to see her best friend standing in the doorway. 

"Hey, you're back early. How was the presentat-"

"AAAAAAAAAAAARGGGHHHH!" The blonde let out an ear-splitting scream, one that could shake a glass of water. Her best friend, Soo Ah, winced.

"Let me guess, Eun Ri's campaign was better than yours."

"Her campaign was mine!" The pretty girl slumped unto the floor. She just couldn't understand why that woman just had to beat her at everything! Even when they were in high school together, Eun Ri ran against her for class president. In college, she had to be in charge of every campus-wide social event. And here she was now, ruining her chances for a new promotion. It didn't help that Chae Ri was her cousin. 

"The fragrance research panel is giving me another chance to prepare, but I have to do it in three days."

Soo Ah place a fried egg into a bowl and handed it to Wendy. "You know what you need?" the brunette asked, "Some original inspiration! You and Chae Ri are related, you grew up together, so of course you think alike. You need to get out, go for a walk, and get those creative juices flowing!"

"Maybe you're right." Wendy had been so busy with department sales and her presentation, she barely went out anymore. She couldn't even remember the last time she had even went out for a cup of coffee with her boyfriend. The blonde sighed at the thought of him. He was so patient, so understanding, she should probably give him call. In seconds the girl had her cellphone in hand, effortlessly dialing the numbers. She stood in anticipation, heart pumping, only to get the dreaded, 'sorry, this person is not available' message.

Hmmm, that's odd. Baek Joon is usually off work at this time. And its so close to our anniversary, too. Wendy thought, shrugged, and went into her room to change. She would call him letter, after she had had a moment to clear her mind and grab a bite to eat. After all, she couldn't create a masterpiece on an empty stomach.

 

 

Yes this is what she liked. The smell of fishcakes, the hustle and bustle on the avenue, the horizon of the Han River in the distance. What had she been so worried about? She could come up with another idea in no time. She just had to use what she was familiar with, Seoul was just overflowing with inspiration.

"What would you like today, miss?" Wendy had stopped by a little fruit pie stand and was just taking a look, when all of a sudden, something caught her eye. It was a gold plastic bag, and it was hanging from the manly fingertips of a gentleman who was quite tall and broad shoulder, with an attractive smirk on his face. A familiar attractive smirk. Wendy started to call his name when all of a sudden, a blur of pink whizzed by and ran up to him. A woman wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him. And even worse, he scooped her up and kissed her back. The young perfume clerk was completely floored.

Her boyfriend was handing her anniversary gift to Eun Ri. The world seemed to be spinning. Wendy hardly felt her finger tips wrap around the tin of an orange meringue pie, all she felt was rage as it was hurled, flying through the air and landing squarely on the man's silk shirt. The very one she had saved for months to surprise him with as a birthday present.  A feeling of satisfaction swept over her as she watched him jump back in surprise, and the look of disgust and embarrassment as her cousin picked bits of orange meringue from her overly pink rasberry locks. They'd received their just desserts, pun intended. The vindicated blonde smiled at the sight, as she the sweet filling off her fingers. Not only was it sweet, but it had a sweet smell too. It wasn't too sugary, but subtle. Suddenly a light bulb went off in her head. She'd just had a winner idea for her presentation!

 

 

It was only 9am, and their were lines piled up all the way across the mall. Women talked excited as they all waited to buy their own signature scent of summer that all of the Hallyu actresses were wearing. The perfume shop had not seen that much activity since they had the great shoe sale of '03. People were whispering and giggling as they pointed at posters of a pretty young women with long blonde hair posing with the trendiest new body spray, that had been fabulously named Just Desserts. "Get him back by looking and smelling your best," the poster caption read. On a small television screen, there was a short advertisement of the same woman, walking proudly down a romantically lit street,with a heartbroken man, who could've been a model, standing in the background. "Serve him his just desserts, now with the sweet scent of citrus orange and lemon." the former saleswoman said.  There were many versions of the body spray, but that one was by far the most popular. It could barely stay stocked on the shelves for a week!

"Sorry everyone, Wendy's Just Dessert's spray is sold out!" announced the new clerk. The words were met by sighs and awws of disappointment. "Don't worry, come back tomorrow, and you can get it along with your picture taken by the fragrance designer herself!" 

"Ms. Park! Ms. Park wait!" A short girl with pale pink hair tied up in a high ponytail raced, click clacking in her fuchsia platform heels. She was huffing and puffing to keep up with the advertising director. "But what about my campaign idea Raspberry Explosion? You told me that the advertising panel might still consider it."

The middle aged woman turned around. "Yes, but that was before we knew what a hit that the Just Desserts campaign would be. We've been getting orders from all across Korea, and Japan, too. What a clever girl, that Wendy is," Ms. Park beamed, " I wonder where she got the idea for a warm citrus fragrangce. And using a romantic heartbreak theme in a commercial film...genius!" Ms. Park spun on her heels and headed toward the elevator, with the whining Eun Ri just behind her. "But Ms. Park, you gotta hear me out! Ms. Park!" As Eun Ri raced after the executive, she didn't notice that in the middle of the floor was some type of sauce, and she slipped, getting one of her heels caught in the mess, and breaking it off from the shoe. A few feet away, someone snickered. 

"I guess someone's just being a sore loser," Wendy giggled to herself, just before heading off to her next commercial film shooting.