Chapter 2

Fated

"Hyung!" Chenle exclaimed as he tried to get a piggyback ride from Ten. "How was it? Where is it?!"

"Let me see it too, hyungnim!"

"Do you know them, Ten hyung?"

"Is it massive?"

"Did it hurt?"

"I bet it did!"

Their live broadcast has just ended and the three younger ones bombarded Ten with questions as they crowded him, trying to find or even just catch a glimpse of what Ten's Tattoo looks like.

“Chill, you brats.” Ten replied as he feigned struggling to get out of their grasps. “First of all, yes of course I did get the tattoo. Everyone does anyway. It wasn’t that bad, felt a bit dizzy for a few seconds and a bit of prickling sensation to where it was.” He shrugged, not wanting to spoil the experience for the boys, and headed towards the door instead.

“And no, I still don’t know him. I haven't seen anyone who’s got the same tattoo as mine.” Ten finished, hoping the trio's curiosity would stop.

"Him?" Jaemin asked, voice deep and laced with curiosity, as they trudged behind Ten. "How do you kow it's a him, hyung?"

Ten stopped for a second, surprised at how attentive his younger friend was. He should have expected it knowing his personality. Jaemin had always been the one to sense when there's more to the story than what he's heard and given another time and circumstance, Ten would have appreciated it.

It was quiet for a while as they continued to walk. Ten didn't feel the need to rush an answer until they entered the parking lot, voice hushed than usual so as not to let anybody else overhear their conversation, just in case.

"I'm not entirely sure, Jaemin-ah. I just feel like it's a he if you know what I mean," Ten quipped, glancing sideways at Jaemin who was mow walking beside him. "Besides, you probably know my preferences by now and I'm assuming the fates or whatever is it there knows it too."

Ten hoped his explanation was enough for now. He felt a headache coming along his way and it wasn't because of the tattoo's side effects.

"Alright hyung." Jaemin finally replied, tone unsure but finally putting the issue to rest. "But you do know it doesn't matter to us, right? We only wish for your happiness."

"Yeah hyung! I'm sure they will love you know matter what, you're soulmates after all" Renjun added.

Ten gave them a fond look before opening the door to the parking lot and herded the three forward, enveloping them into a bear hug before entering the company’s van.

It’s nice, Ten thinks, for the younger ones to view the world like that – full of hope and optimism, open-minded and unbiased.

If only the vast majority could be the same.

 

****

 

Four bottles of beer after, Ten was owning their living room turned into dance floor.

The three of them came home to loud music and disco lights and chicken and pizza and beer and his adorable bandmates with their failed attempt at the surprise when they realized a second late that it was Ten who entered the dorm.

The celebration wasn’t solely for Ten though, with five of them having birthdays in February. But he was the last celebrator and the big party usually falls on or near his birthday.

Nonetheless, Ten was looking forward to this party. The previous weeks were spent in preparation for NCT’s multiple releases and it has everyone restless. It’s the perfect excuse to get wasted (oh yes, Ten was planning to!) without the management having to scold them to much the next day for hangovers and getting late to practice.

So that’s what Ten did – let go and let the rhythm guide his body and shake the stress away.

 

****

“Ten-ah!”

Opening his eyes to the sound of his name, Ten squinted as the bright screen of Johnny’s phone flashed too close to his eyes.

“He’s been calling for the last five minutes and insists to talk to you.”

Ten furrowed his brows in confusion. He gave Johnny an apologetic smile and headed to the veranda.

Away from the blaring speakers, Ten answered the call and was met with the shrill of Taeyong’s voice. He seemed excited.

“Tennie! Finally!”

“Hey Taeyong hyung. What’s up?”

“Nothing!” Taeyong giggled on the other line. “I just wanted to wish you happy birthday!”

“..okay? Thank you?” Didn’t he already greet Ten when he called in their V live earlier?

Ten was still confused until Taeyong sang the birthday song in the background. Oh.

“Hyung. Are you drunk?”

“Whaaaat?? Me? Noooooo!!” Taeyong giggled some more and as cute as it sounds (Ten lived for Taeyong’s giggles!) it sparked a worry from Ten.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes yes yes of course! I just wanted to sing happy birthday for my dear Tennie! You’re an adult now!”

At that, Ten couldn’t help but laugh.

“I’ve been an adult for quite some time now hyung.”

“Uhuh,” Ten hears shuffling from the other line.

“Hyung? Where are you? Are you walking somewhere?”

“Mhhmm,” Taeyong was still giggling as Ten heard a thud, guessing it was the phone that fell.

“Hyung! Are you okay?” Ten desperately asked, worry etched in his voice. Where was Taeyong? Who was he drinking with?

“Tae, babe. What are you-”

It felt like time stopped as Ten visibly froze. He didn’t want to hear it. As much as he accepted the fact how things were, this wasn’t the time for it.

Tonight he was supposed to forget the bitter fact that the love of his life, his soulmate, is in love with somebody else.

Ten let his own phone drop as he felt his legs weaken, feeling his body drop to the ground as well.

Why was fate this harsh to him? Why did he have to love but that love can’t be returned?

“You okay there bud?”

Ten looked up. He was still hugging his knees, slouched as he felt small over Johnny’s towering frame.

“Can you please hold me?”