Chapter 2

Love Birds

Six years later, Eunbi has grown into a charming 15-year-old girl. Her brown wavy hair only dignified her undeniable appealing aura. She still wore glasses but her face looked more matured and exquisitely beautiful. She had grown taller, along with her body becoming more toned and athletic after more than 10 years of learning martial arts. No one would ever dare to pick a fight with her. On one day of spring, she met up with her student tutor/best friend from middle school, Jung Yerin, in front of the entrance of her new high school. Eunbi didn’t skip class as she wanted to learn more from school, even though her grade was more than enough to allow her to go to university. Her parents tried to convince her but they failed.

 

They didn’t know that she didn’t want to skip since she needed more time to wait for someone.

 

Wearing the new uniform of her school, lemon yellow blazer and vest, and blue navy miniskirt, with the top button of her white shirt was ed and her black ribbon was loose, the silver bird, engraved with the word of “Eunha”, shone under the sunshine when she walked to the schoolyard. She always wore the necklace, even under the shower. She never took it off since she was so afraid of losing her childhood friend, Jung Eunbi. After the day of Eunha’s flight, she wrote letters to Eunha and vice versa to keep in touch since they were too young to have a cell phone at that time. They still talked to each other, about Eunha’s new school and friends. It went on for a year before Eunha stopped answering her letters. Every letter Eunbi sent her would be returned back to the younger girl’s mailbox. For a simple reason, they had moved again. The address that Eunha gave to her belonged to someone else. She tried to ask the curSojungt owner if they knew where the Jung family moved. But to her disappointment, they didn’t know. However, she didn’t lose her hope. Treasuring the necklace, she knew Eunha would never leave her no matter what. Therefore, she convinces herself to wait for her; even if it took forever.

 

“Yah, Eunbi-ah. Can you please put your necklace back inside your shirt? It’s hurting my eyes.” Yerin, a raven wavy hair girl, complained to the shorter girl by 2 centimeters. She was wearing the same uniform as Eunbi, except that she wore it more neatly.

 

“Fine.” Replied shortly, Eunbi did what the girl said to her and kept her infamous cold attitude.

 

“And stop with that I-don’t-care expression. We’re in high school now. You won’t get new friends with that face.”

 

“Who said I want new friends?”

 

“Oh. So you only want me for yourself? How cute, SinB-ah.”

 

Yerin smirked and tried to kiss Eunbi but her duck lips only met Eunbi forceful hand.

 

“Get away from me before your girlfriend sees us, unnie. I don’t want to get hit on the first day.”

 

“You’re no fun at all.” Yerin pouted. “But I’ll still introduce you to Sojung-unnie. You and she will be great friends, believe me.”

 

“Yeah yeah, whatever.” Eunbi rolled her eyes.

 

“Come on. Let’s go to the ceremony first.”

 

The energetic girl quickly pulled Eunbi forward by her hand. The girl just sighed, letting the older girl dragging her away. After all, Yerin was the only friend she had up until now. When she lost contact with Eunha, she just entered middle school alone. In class, she was a loner. She talked to no one and vice versa. Even though she had a good-looking face but with her cold attitude and nerdy look, no one wanted to make friend with her, except one. On a beautiful day, when Eunbi was reading her book under a tree in the schoolyard, suddenly a person sat down right next to her, causing her to look up with a little surprise.

 

“You’re Hwang Eunbi, right? My name is Jung Yerin. I’m two years older than you but let’s befriend.”

 

That was how Eunbi became Yerin’s friend. Just like that. Her straightforwardness reminded her of a certain girl back to her childhood, although Yerin and Eunha were completely two diffeSojungt people. Eunha was gentle, feminine, and thoughtful. But overall, she was a real princess. On the other hand, Yerin was more of a beagle. She was energetic, athletic, really greasy with her words and clingy like a beagle. She was really opened to show her affection towards her friends, especially to Eunbi since she always tried to steal kisses on the younger cheeks whenever she had the chances.

 

However, they had something in common. They treated Eunbi in the most sincere way. During the first year of her middle school, Yerin was her only friend. Although they were in diffeSojungt grades, they were study buddies since Yerin never missed a chance to make an excuse to hang around with the younger girl in the campus; and even after school. Since both Yerin and Eunbi were good at sport and study, they became the invincible duo. They were so close to each other that the students thought they were a real couple. But the truth was something that only the duo knew.

 

Between Yerin and Eunbi was just sincere friendship, nothing more. Yerin knew for sure Eunbi already had someone in her heart, probably the owner of the name engraved on her necklace. However, she didn’t know who it was since Eunbi refused to tell her. Furthermore, Yerin already had a girlfriend, named Kim Sojung. Sojung was in the same age as Yerin Eunbi, and currently studying in another middle school. Somehow, during the last term before her graduation, Yerin just came to Eunbi’s class and announced that she had a girlfriend, who was going to attend SOPA, Seoul School of Performance Art. And with that, she convinced Eunbi to enroll in that school once the younger girl graduated since she was also going to study there. Eunbi had no idea when and how the unnie line, what she called them, hanged out with each other despite studying in different schools. And why did she have to go to the same school as Yerin? But on the second thought, it would be easier for her if she studied in the same school as Yerin since she wouldn’t have to make new friends and so on. And since that beagle was begging with pleading teary eyes beside her, she had no other choice and finally agreed.

 

Therefore, after two boring years being alone, Eunbi finally became a new student of SOPA. After the first-morning class was the lunchtime, also the time for club recruitment. Yerin fetched Eunbi at her classroom. The duo later walked together along the hallway, receiving some whispers, even screams from the girls about how cool Eunbi was. As usual, Eunbi didn’t bother that. She ignored them and followed Yerin. Her cold attitude didn’t chase the fans away. In fact, the girls just fell for her more.

 

“Wow, you already get your fan club on the first day of school. Nice work, Eunbi-ah.” Yerin teased.

 

“They’re bad-mouthing at you, unnie. They think you’re my girlfriend. Should you be upset about that?” Eunbi raised an eyebrow.

 

“Hmm… Not at all. We used to be called couple back in middle school, didn’t we? I’m used to it. Besides, I have Sojungie.”

 

“Tell that to them. This is annoying.” The girl let out a heavy sigh.

 

“Welcome to high school, girl. Eventually, you’ll find your girl.”

 

“Not my concern. By the way, where are we going?”

 

“To the practice room. Sojung is in the dance club. You used to dance in our middle school’s festival, right? You even took dance lessons after school.” Yerin gave out her mischievous smile.

 

“I know what you’re thinking, Yerin-unnie. The answer is no. I want to try something else, like karate club.”

 

“Oh come on. You’re the master of karate already. Why do you want to join the karate club anyway? The upperclassmen in that club will surely pick on you since you’re way better than them. And besides, don’t waste your talent. I saw your past performances. It was amazing. Sojung said they are short of members since the previous seniors just graduated so you’re what they need.”

 

“Do I look like I care? No.”

 

“Eunbi-ah. Please, I’m begging you. Do it for your best friend. Pretty please.” With that, Yerin used her famous beagle eyes on Eunbi. It had no effect on Eunbi but to have that girl walking beside her like that, it was really annoying and embarrassing at the same time.

 

“Fine, fine! Stop that. Geez. You gave me goosebumps, unnie. Who is supposed to be the more matured one here?”

 

“Even the Ice Princess can’t win against my beagle power.” Yerin exclaimed happily and dragged the girl toward the practice room faster, ignoring the defeated sigh coming from her victim.

 

Soon later, they reached their destination, which was located in another building. As soon as they arrived, a series of cheers and screams welcomed them. Looking at each other confusingly, Yerin and Eunbi slowly entered the room. Immediately, their eardrums were almost torn by the loud beats of a dance song. Right in front of them were the members of the club facing the mirror and practiced their choreography. Sitting in the corner, there were no other than the fangirls of the members, screaming and cheering for their favorite members as they tried to make their voice louder than the music coming from the latest model speakers.

 

“Taehyung! Taehyung! You’re so cool!”

 

“Sojung is on fire! Oh my god! She’s so hot!”

 

Looking at those crazy fan girls, Yerin let out a small chuckle when Eunbi looked at her in disbelief.

 

“You aren’t mad?”

 

“Huh? Why should I be?” Yerin asked back while smiling at her.

 

“Those girls are cat-calling your girlfriend. Shouldn’t you be jealous?”

 

“Well, they are just fans so they have their rights to cheer for her. But of course, that doesn’t mean I’ll allow them to touch her.”

 

“What are you, a saint?” Eunbi quickly shrugged it off as she could feel a deathly aura coming from the girl beside her. She kept her eyes on the group, observing the members. To her impression, the club had few excellent members. “That tall slim girl, the one on the side, is good.”

 

“Oh?” Yerin looked around to find the girl that Eunbi was talking about. “Ah! It’s Sojung! Yeah, she’s one of the aces of the team and the vice leader. She was the fastest one to memorize all the choreography in the team.”

 

“I see.” Eunbi was impressed by Yerin’s girlfriend. She was a real talented dancer. And stay true to her name, her sharp dance moves were no joke as the tall girl did not make any single mistake and moved synchronously with the rest of the group. When she looked around more, the center dancer caught her attention with a skillful windmills move. “Hmm… The center is pretty good too.”

 

“That’s Kim Taehyung, the leader and also the ace of the team. He’s in the same class with Sojung. He’s popular among the girls. And Sojung warned me to stay away from him since he is a player.”

 

“I think Sojung-ssi is right. You’re too easy to be played, unnie.”

 

“Yah! What is that supposed to mean?”

 

“Oh, my mistake there. You’re a player too so there should be no problem.”

 

“I only have Sojung for Pete’s sake! I don’t date anyone else besides her.”

 

Yerin and Eunbi argued with each other, completely forgot about the practice until the music ended. They didn’t notice their surrounding since they were lost in their own bickering. Not only until someone decided to stop them.

 

“Hey Yennie, you finally came!” From the distance, a girl's voice called for Yerin, catching her attention. She turned to the source and exclaimed happily as she ran toward the tall person and hugged her tightly.

 

“Sojungie. I miss you.”

 

“Yeah, I know. Don’t hug me. Everyone is staring at us. And I’m all sweaty too.” Kim Sojung was a beautiful tall girl, with brown long hair and a pair of slim long legs that could give her a gold ticket to the model’s world. She had a look of a mother with her composed and mature attitude; many girls would die for her.

 

Eunbi’s sweats dropped as she stood there, watching her best friend hugging the girl who was 5 centimeters taller than her in the middle of the room. The beagle didn’t realize that she was putting herself in danger as Eunbi heard the fangirls of Sojung cursing at her.

 

“Who is that girl hugging Sojung?!?!”

 

“Wait isn’t she that senior, the Red Ginseng? What is a player like her doing to my Sojung?!?!”

 

“Oh please, stop daydreaming already. This is why I hate fangirls.” Eunbi thought. A few minutes later, she saw Yerin dragged the girl toward her direction and introduced them to each other.

 

“This is Eunbi, my best friend that I told you before. And Eunbi-ah, this is my girlfriend, Sojung.” Yerin quickly said.

 

“What?!!? Girlfriend?!?! She can’t be serious right?”

 

“No Sojung! I’m better than her! Please choose me!”

 

Ignoring the hopeless screams from the girls in the corner, Sojung offered her hand to Eunbi and gave the girl a smile.

 

“I’m Kim Sojung. It’s nice to finally meet you. Thanks for taking care of my childish girlfriend.”

 

“No!!!! She confirmed that! My heart….”

 

“I won’t give up Sojung! I’ll make you fall for me!!”

 

Ignoring that again, Eunbi shook Sojung’s hand in a polite way.

 

“The name is Hwang Eunbi. And don’t worry about that, Sojung-ssi. She’s not so hard to deal with, except for that beagle side.”

 

“Hahaha. You understand my pain.”

 

“Yah! You two!” Yerin slapped Sojung on her arm, receiving some apologies from the girl before the conversation continued.

 

“Anyway, I heard from Yerin that you used to be in a dance team in middle school, right?”

 

“The beagle always tells the truth.” Eunbi shrugged.

 

“I see. Then what is your style?”

 

“Hip-hop. But I can do jazz, modern and sport dance too.”

 

“Can you show me?”

 

“Sure.”

 

Sojung smiled as Eunbi’s answer. She turned around and called for her teammates.

 

“Clear the floor, guys. We have a new candidate.”

 

The group quickly dismissed themselves toward the corner, leaving a vast empty space in the middle of the room. As Sojung went to the speaker and connected her phone, she gestured Eunbi to move forward. The young girl let out a heavy sigh. She took off her blazer and glasses and gave them to Yerin before moving into position.

 

“Show us what you got, Eunbi-ssi.”

 

The tall girl smiled. Her slim finger tapped on the screen of her phone then the music came off from the speaker. It was “Do Ya Thing” by Rihanna.

 

Eunbi smiled quietly inside her head. This song was one of her favorite ones back in her middle school. Probably Yerin told Sojung about it. Grinning at her reflection in the mirror, Eunbi took a deep breath before her facial expression relaxed.

 

Once the beat was up, she let her body move freely along with the music. Hip swings. Hair tugs. And some unconscious winks. She had the whole stage for herself as no one could take their eyes off her performance. Her movements were so smooth that she danced with grace and perfection. Ignoring the whispers of the girls, such as “OMG”, “she’s so cool”, Eunbi kept her mind and body merging with the beat. The members of the club were all watching her in awe as her skill got their attention. For Sojung, she was satisfied. Her girlfriend always told her the truth after all.

 

“See? I told you she’s good.” Yerin said to her girlfriend.

 

“You’re right. This girl’s talent is no joke.” Sojung nodded.

 

“I know right? So what do think about having her in the team?”

 

“Having her in the team, this year championship is ours for sure.”

 

Soon, the music died out as the song was ending. Eunbi did her final pose, earning herself an applause from the audiences. Sojung clapped her hand and approached the young girl who was gasping for air after that breath-taking performance. However, being impressed by the show, the members of the club quickly pushed Sojung away, surrounding Eunbi and praising her. The girl just kept her poker face and nodded at every compliment she received.

 

“Guys! Give her some air to breathe.” The members quickly moved away as a voice spoke up. When the way was clear, Eunbi realized the owner of the manly voice was the leader. With his muscular body and the handsome face, Eunbi understood why this guy was a girl killer, a womanizer. Who would escape from this perfect guy’s love trap? “You look nerdy but you have some real talent there, girl. No offense. My name is Kim Taehyung, leader of the crew. What’s yours?”

 

“Hwang Eunbi.” Eunbi replied coldly, as she had no good impression about this guy. She didn’t like or hate him but basically, she didn’t care.

 

“Woah, tough girl. I like your attitude. OK then, Hwang Eunbi, are you interested in joining our team? We’ll make the best dance crew out there.”

 

“What if I say I d-mmm”

 

“Yes, she is interested, Taehyung-ssi!”

 

Before Eunbi could finish her words, a hand covered and like a flash of light, Yerin answered for her. Eunbi looked at the girl beside her in disbelief but she didn’t resist anyway. She just didn’t care at all. And she was too tired to argue with that beagle.

 

“Good. Welcome to the team, Hwang Eunbi. By the way, are you her friend, cutie?”

 

“Get your hand off her, Taehyung. She’s mine!”

 

Walking through the crowd, Sojung shouted angrily at Taehyung as she stood behind Yerin and put a protective arm around her waist, making the shorter girl blush brightly. But she knew she shouldn’t say anything now since Sojung was seriously mad. An angry Sojung was never a good news.

 

“Ok chillax. I’m just kidding.” Taehyung raised his hands up. “I have a girlfriend too, you know.”

 

“Then keep your hands on your girlfriend only, not mine.”

 

“When it comes to love, everyone can be really scary huh?” Eunbi noted to herself. From what she saw, Sojung really hated Taehyung despite the fact that they were teammates, probably because of Taehyung’s flirtiness. Eunbi thought she would get along well with Sojung since they had something in common.

 

“Hey, what’s going on in here?!? If the practice is over then go wash up. Lessons will start in fifteen minutes.” Suddenly, a high-pitched feminine voice interrupted the fierce stare battle between the two aces of the team. Right on time.

 

“Ah, Eunbi-ah!”

 

“Eunbi? Wait… He is definitely not calling me... Don’t tell me… No, can’t be her. She can’t be in Seoul without telling me.” Eunbi was shocked when she heard Taehyung called a name. It was her name but she knew he did not call him as she was standing right in front of the guy. A chill ran through her spine. But she quickly shrugged it off.

 

“What’s happening, Taehyung?” She heard that voice again. Unconsciously, her heart raced against the time.

 

“A freshman just joined our team. I saw her skill already. I guarantee she’ll help us to get the championship this year.”

 

“Really? Where is she?”

 

“Hwang, come out here. The manager wants to see you.”

 

When Taehyung called, Eunbi just sighed then walked out of the crowd to meet the manager. But to her surprise, she met someone that she always wanted to meet again. Two pairs of shocking eyes met each other.

 

Brown bobbed hair.

 

White silky skin.

 

The flawless gorgeous face of a cute bunny.

 

It was her.

 

“Eunha-unnie/SinB-ah?!?!?!” Both of them exclaimed in disbelief. They said in unison, surprising the whole club. No one could expect that their manager and the newcomer knew each other beforehand, even Yerin didn’t expect that.

 

“I can’t believe this… Why… How…” Eunbi was really confused. She was happy to see Eunha again but also had many questions about her presence.

 

“Eunbi, you know Hwang?” Decided to interrupt their meeting, Taehyung asked the shocking girl, who was covered her open mouth with her hand.

 

“Ah… yes. She’s my childhood friend.”

 

“Why didn’t I hear anything about her from you before?” Taehyung raised an eyebrow.

 

“I didn’t have a chance to tell you. And I didn’t expect that she would study in the same school as me.”

 

“OK, since it seems that you guys haven’t met each other for a long time, we will leave you two alone.” Suddenly, Sojung interrupted and held on Taehyung’s shoulder to drag her away. “Team dismisses! Go wash yourself and get back to class, guys. We’ll start the practice again after school. And everyone, out of the room. NOW!”

 

“Yah Sojung! Wait! What the…” Taehyung struggled to get away from Sojung’s hold but failed since the girl’s grip somehow was incredibly strong at that moment. Yerin gave Eunbi a thoughtful smile then followed Sojung, leaving the two people alone in the room.

 

No one said a word. The awkward silence between them was unbearable. Eunbi didn’t know what to say to Eunha after six years of separation. There were many questions that she wanted to ask the girl, but they were all trapped in . Where had she been? And why was she back to Seoul without telling her?

 

“Um…” Finally, Eunha decided to break their heavy atmosphere. “I know I have many things to explain to you so… can we find a seat first?”

 

“Sure.”

 

The two of them went to a clean corner and sat down. It had been a long time since the last time Eunbi felt the presence of Eunha next to her. She missed this feeling. It was peaceful and nostalgic, something that she would never feel with anyone else.

 

“Where should I start…”

 

“You can start with your status now. How are you? You changed a lot since the last time I saw you.” Eunbi quickly asked.

 

“Yeah, I guessed I did. Puberty changes us a lot. You look different too. When we were young, I was always the taller one but now, you’re taller than me.”

 

“I’m the sporty one among us after all. Exercise and good nutrition help with the height growing. Although, I’m still a midget comparing to other girls, like Sojung-ssi or Yerin-unnie.”

 

“But you’re still smart and talent as usual. Many people will have to look up at you.” Eunha smiled warmly.

 

“I’m not… I can’t be myself without you…” Eunbi said softly.

 

The two let silence surround them again. Suddenly, Eunbi felt shy, like the time when she first met Eunha. She didn’t dare to look at her in the eyes. Maybe it was because of the past years, Eunha changed her appearance a lot so Eunbi was shy to meet her new self. But the younger girl had to admit that bobbed hair really suited the other girl.

 

“I missed you, SinB-ah… really. You don’t know how happy I was when I received your letters back in Incheon. But my father lost his job so I have to move again without telling you. At the same time I lost your address during the moving so I couldn’t write to you. And when I entered high school, I moved to Seoul with my father. I tried to find your old house in my old memory but your neighbor said you had moved to another place. Those five years were really lonely. I met new friends, but none of them could give me the same feeling that you gave me. I prayed every day for a chance to meet you again. When I saw you a while ago, I was really delightful to see you again.” Eunha looked at the shy girl and told her story with a smile, the smile that Eunbi had missed for a long time.

 

“Eunha-unnie…” Finally gaining her courage, Eunbi looked at the girl, her childhood friend, and someone that was so precious to her. “I missed you too. I was so worried when I lost contact with you. I couldn’t find you since I had no idea where you were. But that doesn’t matter anymore. Now we’re back together again.” Eunbi smiled gently.

 

“Yeah, we are.” Then Eunha leaned forward to embrace the girl. A pair of strong arms wrapped around the bobbed haired girl’s body and pushed her closer to the other person. Eunbi allowed herself to enjoy the warmth. She missed this so much. She didn’t remember how long she had been waiting to enjoy Eunha’s warmth again. It was nostalgic but also a new experience for her. Something was building inside her heart.

 

Reluctantly, Eunha let her go with a pout. “What are you wearing inside your shirt? It’s pointy and hard. It almost left a hole in my chest.”

 

“Ah, you mean this?” As she was saying, Eunbi took out the necklace that she had been wearing for six years from inside her shirt.

 

“Eh?? You still keep it?” Eunha gave out her overreacting reaction.

 

“Of course I do. I was the one who gave you this after all. Do you still keep the other half?”

 

“Always.” Eunbi pulled out the same bird from her uniform shirt, but there was a word of “SinB” engraved on it. “I think because of these birds, we’re able to see each other again.”

 

“Yeah, I think so.”

 

“Hey, Eunbi-ah! The bell is ringing.”

 

Peaking from the door, Taehyung shouted Eunha’s name. The girl smiled at the guy and quickly put the necklace back into her shirt.

 

“Sorry, SinB-ah. I have to go now.”

 

“It’s fine. I have to go back to my class anyway. Just go, Taehyung-ssi is waiting for you.” Eunbi felt a little disappointed. However, she cheered herself up since she was studying at the same school as Eunbi now. She would have another chance to be with her. Furthermore, she was in the dance crew, which Eunha was the manager. She got plenty of time with her.

 

“OK. See you later, SinB-ah. I’m really happy to see you again.”

 

With that, Eunha stood up and ran to Taehyung. Holding their hands together, she smiled to Taehyung and walked with him back to the campus. She didn’t notice a hint of sadness on the poker face of Eunbi, who just saw how she smiled at the guy. A faint smile hovered over the dried lips of the brunette. She quietly went back to her class, enjoyed the loneliness. Somehow, she wanted to have the annoying beagle beside her at that moment. Maybe her childish presence would soothe the pain in her heart.

 

“First love is always the purest yet most painful one after all.”

 

Eunbi said softly, letting every single word from her fade away like a blow of the wind.