The (Not So) Little Merman

The (Not So) Little Merman

“Yoongi are you sure we should be here?” Kim Namjoon asked his best friend as they boarded the small boat that was floating beside the creaky old dock.

“Will you chill out for one second?” Min Yoongi, said best friend, hiccuped. In one hand he carried a six pack of beer, in the other he attempted to undo the rope that tied the boat down.

Namjoon sighed and sipped his beer as he watched his intoxicated friend clumsily shake at the rope.

He wasn’t going to argue with his stubborn companion, especially not when he was drunk which only seemed to double his unbending will.

Namjoon supposed this wasn’t the worst thing Yoongi had been determined to do. The break-in at the zoo and release of the petting zoo goats into the town, for which they had to pay with community service and a fine of 1,000 dollars was still in the number one spot.

And hopefully, it would stay that way.

With a small whoop of joy, Yoongi managed to undo the rope and the small motorboat floated off. Yoongi then turned the key in the ignition and the motor rumbled to life. Namjoon stumbled and held onto the shorter man’s shoulders as the boat sped through the water.

Yoongi hollered and raised a beer can, steering with only one hand. The wind whipped at their faces and Namjoon got a mouthful of mint colored hair from Yoongi, but still managed to hold on for dear life.

“Namjoon relax.” Yoongi smiled over his shoulder.

“Can’t you relax this boat?” Namjoon retorted.

Yoongi rolled his eyes, but the boat slowed down considerably. It came to a halt and Yoongi dumped his beer can on the floor and reached for a fresh one. He handed one to Namjoon who gulped it down because being the sober one between the two was likely to give him a panic attack.

They drank in peace admiring the way the full moon reflected against the sea and Namjoon remembered why he loved living in his ocean town so much.

“It’s nice here.”

“Yeah,” Yoongi replied turning off the engine and sitting down on the port side of the boat. Namjoon sat across him, his feet occasionally nudging Yoongi’s side which made the older man scowl and swatted him away playfully.

Namjoon giggled and drank another beer, already his mind was beginning to wander into a daydream that involved him diving down into the water and becoming a fish.

“Fish must live great lives.” He spoke up.

Yoongi snorted. “Not really, life is a constant battle between a shark or a fish net.”

“But I mean they get to swim wherever they want, it’s like birds they fly...but fish fly in the sea...”

“Did you smoke before this or something?” Yoongi asked, eyebrows raised.

Namjoon shook his head.

“Well I doubt they can swim wherever they want, they got that whole breeding journey and .” Yoongi scratched at his ear as he reached for another can of beer. “Besides why would you want to be a fish? I’d say we’re pretty free ourselves.”

Namjoon shrugged. “Maybe from our parents, but we’ll never truly be free from the societal expectations humans must live up to.”

“Huh?” Yoongi paused, his beer halfway to his lips.

“I want to be a fish.”

“You won’t be able to think like this if you do.”

“Then, half fish.”

Yoongi chuckled. “So, what? A mermaid or something?”

“Yes.” Namjoon brought himself to his feet, stumbling slightly. He looked out across the ocean then turned back to Yoongi. “A mermaid wouldn’t have to live up to human expectations nor would it worry about swimming thousands of miles just to breed and die.”

“To be free is to be a mermaid.” Yoongi burped and stood up next to him. He patted his back. “I’ll be sure to write that on your tombstone.”

Namjoon laughed.

“Alright let’s head back, I got class at 8 and I’m going to need to drink a gallon of water to get rid of this incoming hangover.”

“That’s what you get for drinking like a sailor on a Sunday night.” Namjoon scolded.

Yoongi shrugged. “Got it from my father.”

“Just like this boat, I see.”

Yoongi smirked. “Exactly.”

He the ignition and sped away. Namjoon held onto his shoulder but as the boat raced across the water, it jumped and Namjoon felt himself stumble.

And then as if slow motion he fell backward.

He caught Yoongi’s face of fear as he landed into the freezing water. He sank, his mind screaming at his legs to kick, but the action came slowly and unsure. He soon found himself struggling to breathe.

He thought about Yoongi and the way his face had looked. The man would blame himself for his death. He would never drink again. Namjoon almost laughed at the thought, before he remembered he was drowning. Water filled his lungs and his eyes closed as he grew unconscious.

I’m sorry Yoongi.

This officially was the worst thing the man had been determined to do.


 

Namjoon doesn’t remember how but suddenly he was on land. He blinked his eyes open and gasped for air. He saw a blurry figure in front of him until he blinked several times and the figure came into focus. The rising sun shined beams of sunlight down and it formed a halo around the man with brown hair in front of him. His lips were pouty and pink and his eyes were brown pools of concern.

Not a bad sight to wake up to, Namjoon reasoned.

Then he remembered this could be heaven.

And this man could be an angel.

“Are you okay?” The man asked.

“Am I in heaven?”

“Heaven?” The man’s eyebrows furrowed. He then shook his head. “This is what you humans call land.”

“Land?” Namjoon sat up and coughed up water. He then turned back and the man in front of him was on his stomach.

And he was shirtless.

Broad shoulders and lightly tanned skin were all Namjoon could see until he came into contact with a big green tail, with a fin spanned out waving to and fro.

Okay, so he wasn’t an angel.

But he definitely wasn’t human.

And this definitely wasn’t heaven.

He must’ve entered a world under the sea or something.

“I...” Namjoon scrambled up.

“Are you okay, sir?”

Namjoon looked around, No this was home. He recognized the shore and a few feet away was the dock with the same boat he had fallen out of.

Yoongi…

“Sir? Are you alright?” The nonhuman hot man asked again and Namjoon took one last look at him, before racing across the sand to his house.

He had to find Yoongi and show him this...humanoid fish creature.


 

Namjoon found Yoongi in their small house pacing back and forth with his cellphone.

“Yes he’s around 5 feet 11, he’ll tell you he’s 6 feet but I’ve seen his medical records. Yeah he’s got pink hair, don’t ask me why he had a pink phase and--”

“Hey.” Namjoon smiled as Yoongi caught sight of him.

“Nevermind. I found my stupid friend. Goodbye.” Yoongi hung up then rushed into Namjoon’s arms. Namjoon petted his mint colored hair and chuckled at the small sob that escaped Yoongi. The shorter man wiped his face on Namjoon’s chest then pulled back with angry, teary eyes. He punched him in the gut.

“You stupid idiot! Why didn’t you hold on?!”

Namjoon smiled weakly. He then noticed the beer cans strewn across the living room floor. “I thought you would have quit drinking at the sight of my death.”

“Are you kidding?” Yoongi scoffed. “I would have drunk twice as much from the guilt. You damn idiot...can't take you nowhere...”

Yoongi grumbled away as he packed books into his backpack that sat on the kitchen table.

“Wait Yoongi, I have to show you something!” Namjoon pulled the man’s wrist.

“What?”

“It’s what saved me.” Namjoon explained, tugging him.

“Fine but make it quick.” Yoongi muttered throwing his backpack over his shoulder. “Now that you aren’t dead, I have a class to get to.”

He and Yoongi ran across the street and towards the sand. They made it to the dock and Yoongi avoided looking at the motorboat as they came to the spot Namjoon had awoken on.

The hot nonhuman was nowhere to be seen.

“Where did he go?” Namjoon looked around and even peered toward the sea, spotting only a flock of seagulls.

“So where’s the thing that saved you?”

“He’s gone.”

“Was it a piece of wood or a bed of kelp?” Yoongi asked. “It probably got taken by the tide or something.”

“No, it was a man...well a half man...half fish.”

“What?”

“It was a...mermaid.” Namjoon realized what the beautiful creature had been. Of course, hadn’t he just been talking about it pre-near death?

“A mermaid saved you?” Yoongi raised his eyebrows up high. Any higher and they would go past his hairline, Namjoon thought.

“Yeah he was tan with soft brown hair and a big green tail and big shoulders and pretty pink lips and--”

“Geez, sounds like you want to his fish .” Yoongi rolled his eyes.

Namjoon glared at him. “He was real Yoongi, he saved me.”

“Namjoon, you were drunk, unconscious and probably . Are you sure you didn’t just fantasize about it?”

“Why would I fantasize?”

“Just last night you were talking about being a mermaid, don’t you think this is all too convenient?” Yoongi frowned.

“It is convenient.” Namjoon retorted. “Convenient that he saved me or I would have died!”

Yoongi opened his mouth to reply, but his phone began ringing. He glanced at it and shook his head. “It’s my alarm, I got to go to class. Drink some water and go to bed Joon.”

“I’m not crazy hyung!” Namjoon called as the man raced off.

“Whatever you say, man!” Yoongi threw over his shoulder.

Namjoon sighed and turned back to the beach. He walked across it kicking at shells in frustration. He knew it sounded ridiculous but he hadn’t been dreaming or hallucinating.

That had been a mermaid. It had talked to him.

“Hey.”

Namjoon looked up from the sand.

“Sir?”

Namjoon looked at the rocks that lined the shore, in between two he spotted a face. He raced over and leaned forward.

“You came back?”

“Yes, I was...hoping to see you.” The mermaid smiled, then ducked his head. “You know just to see if you were okay...”

“I’m fine. More than fine. Sane!” Namjoon smiled. He really hadn’t been fantasizing!

“That’s good.” The mermaid smiled and his top teeth showed, a bright white against pink full lips. The mermaid then turned as if leaving.

“Wait!” Namjoon reached out a hand.

The mermaid turned back with wide eyes. “Yes?”

“Uh...what’s your name?”

The mermaid smiled. “Seokjin.”

“I’m Kim Namjoon.” Namjoon extended his hand. Seokjin stared at it, then extended his own hand. Their fingertips brushed and Seokjin pulled away quickly looking down at the water, his ears considerably red.

“Thank you for saving me.”

“You’re most welcome.” Seokjin then peered past him at the beach. “So what’s it like up there?”

“Where? On land?” Namjoon motioned behind him.

“Yeah, I’ve never met a human before. How do you live?”

“Well I mean I’ve got a house and school. I mean I’m sure you have something like that in your sea town right? I mean there’s more than one of you right?”

“A house?” Seokjin cocked his head to the side like an owl would.

“Yeah, a house. It's like a place to live? A home?”

“Can I see this house?” Seokjin asked, his eyes bright with excitement.

Namjoon nodded. If he could bring the mermaid to his house he could show Yoongi he was right.

Seokjin pulled himself up with the rocks and Namjoon tried not to eye the mermaid’s straining arms and chest muscles as he crawled between the rocks and up to land.

He reached out and grabbed under the mermaid’s arms dragging him across the sand. Seokjin’s large tail and fin made a trail in the sand as they went towards the sidewalk.

“How far is your house?” Seokjin asked.

Namjoon set him down with a grunt. “Too far to keep doing this.”

He then turned and squatted down. “Here try and get on my back.”

He felt the mermaid’s hands on his shoulders before they pushed down. Namjoon wobbled but quickly stood up, his hands coming to wrap around Seokjin’s tail. The tail was scaly but not quite as rough to the touch. He assumed he was holding onto what would be Seokjin’s .

The thought made him blush as well as the breath on his neck, the arms wrapped around his neck, and the fingers touching his chest.

“Alright, we’re off.”

“Thank you Namjoon sir. I doubt another human would have such determination to take me home.”

He could feel the mermaid’s smile against his ear and he wanted to squirm at the soft voice and the implication of the words and why was he finding a half fish man so attractive?!

He coughed and picked up his pace. “Just Namjoon is fine.”

“Okay, Namjoon.” Seokjin chuckled.

The laugh almost making Namjoon drop him and run away.


 

They made it to his house in record time. It had to be record time, Namjoon thought. With all the breaths and smiles on his skin, there was no way he was strolling down the street.

He set Seokjin down on his couch and watched as the mermaid looked around in awe.

“Uh, can I get you anything to drink?”

“Water would be great.”

“Of course. A classic.” Namjoon headed to the kitchen. When he returned he found Seokjin lying on his back his arms folded under his head.

“This is so soft!”

Namjoon tore his eyes away from Seokjin’s firm chest and very apparent s and small waist and handed him the cup of water.

Seokjin sat up and grabbed it, examining it with a frown.

“I even put a sprinkle of sea salt.” Namjoon took a seat beside him. “Thought it would make it more like home for you.”

“Why thank you.” Seokjin smiled. “You wouldn’t happen to have way more though would you?”

Namjoon glanced at his tail noting the green scales were not quite as shimmery as before. “Oh, are you dehydrated?”

“Just a little.”

“Hold on.” Namjoon raced to the bathroom and the water to the bathtub. Once it filled up, he raced back and scooped Seokjin into his arms.

Seokjin wrapped his arms around his neck and even as his arm muscles screamed in protest, Namjoon carried him to the tub. The red dusting Seokjin’s cheeks and the shy smile on his lips being all the strength Namjoon needed.

He placed Seokjin in the water and the mermaid let out a soft sigh.

“Thank you.”

“No problem.” Namjoon smiled. “Oh, would you like something to eat?”

“Human food?” Seokjin nodded. “Yes please.”

Namjoon left, returning with a tub of fried chicken. “There’s only a wing and a thigh left but...”

Seokjin sniffed at the container before pulling out a wing and taking a bite. Namjoon found the noise of surprise along with the wide eyes of the mermaid at the taste of the chicken to be endearing. He watched him eat ravenously, tossing the tub when he was finished.

“That was better than squid!” Seokjin exclaimed. “Is that all you humans eat?”

“No, we got lots of different foods.”

“Wow.”

Namjoon picked up the container with a chuckle then remembered Yoongi would be out of class later and he would come home to see Seokjin in their tub.

“Hey, can I show you to my friend? I think he’d really want to meet you.”

“Sure.” Seokjin grinned.


 

Namjoon heard the door open and close as Yoongi returned from class. He had been conversing with the mermaid over the different types of fish in the ocean and what kind were friendlier than others but stood up immediately from the toilet lid.

“That’s my friend.”

“Bring more chicken too!” Seokjin called as Namjoon left.

“You owe me an apology.” Namjoon sidled up to Yoongi with a smirk on his face. Yoongi scoffed and removed his backpack along with his hoodie.

“What are you talking about?”

“Come.” Namjoon beckoned the man to the bathroom.

“What the .” Were Yoongi’s first words.

Seokjin looked oblivious to the man’s wide eyes. “Hello, sir, did you bring the chicken?”

“He’s a mermaid,” Namjoon spoke up.

“A merman actually.” Seokjin cut in. “Mermaid would be my mother.”

Yoongi ignored the merman and turned to Namjoon. “What are you going to do with it? Sell it to scientists?”

“No, he’s a human being...” Namjoon eyed his fin swaying in the air. “Half human being I suppose.”

Yoongi didn’t look at the merman again, deciding to leave to the porch for a smoke. Namjoon talked with Seokjin a bit more about the ocean until the sun began to go down.

The merman then decided it was time to go home, Yoongi and Namjoon carrying him between themselves.

As they set him on the sand Seokjin thanked them, holding Namjoon’s gaze especially.

“Come over whenever you want.” Namjoon replied.

Seokjin nodded before turning away and dragging himself to the shore letting the tide take him.


 

He couldn’t believe it.

He had met a human! He had been up on land! He had tried human food and human water! Swimming quickly, Seokjin made it back to his home. Hoseok his loyal friend was waiting just outside the entrance to his room.

“Hoseok!”

“Seokjin there you are!”

“Seokjin swam into his room and spun around, before settling on a bed of sponge.

“Where have you been? Did you know your mother was about to send search parties?! Do you know what kind of trouble that would have meant for me?! You know there's going to be a potential war soon and--”

“Relax, Hoseok.” Seokjin rolled his eyes.

“Seokjin you have a responsibility to this--”

“I met a human.”

Hoseok’s eyes and mouth flew open.

“You what?!”

“I talked to him.”

“No no no! You know we can’t talk to humans!”

“But they’re cute.” Seokjin pouted. “I want to see more of their world and eat more of their food.”

“We have plenty of food right here!” Hoseok pointed his finger down.

“But their food is greasy and crunchy. You have to try fried chicken, Hoseok. Namjoon invited me back maybe you can come.”

“Who?”

“The human I saved. He’s long with a cute smile and pink hair. I didn’t know humans could have pink hair, you should see his friend too he has green hair--”

Hoseok was practically hyperventilating. “Oh no no no! If your mother finds out about this she is going to kill me, then you!”

Seokjin shot him a look. “Well, no one is going to tell her, right?”

“You know I can’t keep secrets Seokjin!”

Seokjin crossed his arms, a thoughtful look in his eyes. “I want to see if I can go back but with legs...”

“Hyung no!”


 

“My mom’s not here.” The son of the sea witch, Jimin said as he parted through the seaweed curtain door.

“That’s okay.” Seokjin replied. “I think you can help me. I want to turn human.”

Jimin looked at him, then past him before nodding and leading him inside.

“I’ll help you, but for a price.” The son of the sea witch said, running a hand through his silvery hair.

Seokjin looked around the lair, it was dimly lit with a huge crater in the center, full of green and purple swirls, where he assumed the sea witch performed her spells and curses.

“It won’t be anything like sharp stabs in my human feet each time I walk right?” He looked at the crannies in the stones around him pulling out a bottle of red liquid and sniffing it.

Jimin snatched it from his grasp with a glare and put it back in its place. “No, that would be sadistic. I’ll just take your heart.”

“Okay, sounds reasonable.”

“Now listen closely.” Jimin cleared his throat and broke into a melody, but Seokjin had stopped paying attention and swam around more bottles.

He couldn’t wait to have legs.


 

“Hi, Namjoon!”

When Namjoon had heard a knock on his door he had assumed it was his mailman with his Amazon prime package of new headphones, instead, a sopping wet, Seokjin was standing there.

Did he mention ?

And wet.

Wet and .

Namjoon felt a flush creep up into his cheeks and tried to keep his eyes on Seokjin’s face which was beaming with excitement.

“I’m back!”

“H-hi.”

He looked around at the neighboring houses and then grabbed Seokjin’s arm, pulling him inside.

“How are you here?”

“Magic.”

“I mean how did you get legs and a peni…” Namjoon trailed off, his face burning.

“It was magic, literally” Seokjin grinned.

“Oh.”

Seokjin strutted over to the couch and sat down.

“We need to get you some clothes before--”

The door slammed open and closed, signaling Yoongi’s arrival. Namjoon quickly grabbed at a pillow and covered Seokjin’s s before searching frantically for something for Seokjin to wear. He held an oversized blue hoodie in his hand as the other pulled the pillow as Yoongi walked in.

The man looked between Seokjin’s form on the couch to Namjoon clutching a hoodie and a pillow.

He backed out with the raise of his eyebrows.

Namjoon handed the hoodie to Seokjin. “Put this on.”

Seokjin began to put a leg through an armhole and Namjoon flipped the hoodie around and pulled his head through the hoodie’s hole.

“Ooh!” Seokjin smiled and nodded as if understanding how it was worn.

Namjoon scrambled to the kitchen where Yoongi was dunking a donut into a mug of milk.

“It wasn't what it looked like.”

“Hm.”

“It wasn't!”

Yoongi his lips and turned to Namjoon with a smirk. “Alright man.”

Namjoon sighed.

“Why's he got legs? He take his tail off?”

“He said it was magic.” Namjoon explained.

“Magic made him on our couch too, I suppose?”

“Hyung!” Namjoon whined making Yoongi chuckle. They turned silent as Seokjin entered, the oversized hoodie draping his body and barely covering his s. Namjoon couldn’t help but stare at the firm tan legs contrasting with the bright blue of the hoodie.

“I did it!” Seokjin smiled and raised his arms in the air in triumph.

“Please tell him to put on some underwear, at least.” Yoongi muttered, his cheeks pink. “I think I just saw his left nut.”

“Oh-kay! Seokjin, I want to introduce you to the concept of pants.” Namjoon walked over to the merman putting his hands down and ushering him to his room with one last glare over his shoulder at Yoongi.

The older man only smirked in response, before dunking his donut into milk again.


Once Seokjin was fully clothed, Yoongi decided he and Namjoon would show Seokjin some human forms of entertainment. He started with beer, of course. “This is called pre-gaming.” Yoongi burped.

Seokjin made a face at the taste of the beer, but he liked the warm feeling it made in his stomach.

He drank more and more until he felt his head getting a little light headed.

“Wow, this feeling is amazing.”

“He’s drunk.” Yoongi laughed at Namjoon.

Namjoon held onto Seokjin’s arm. “Are you okay?”

“Y-yeah.” Seokjin smiled.

“Are you okay?” Yoongi asked Namjoon.

The man nodded, he had only had 2 beers not wanting to get too drunk just in case Seokjin needed help. He was a merman, after all, he was new to all of this.

“Alright let’s hit the town then!” Yoongi cheered and raised his beer. Seokjin followed the motion, stumbling back slightly.


They went through several bars, some with loud dancehall music, some with quiet sad drunks. Seokjin took shot after shot, with Yoongi following right alongside him. Namjoon had water, most of the time. He cast glances at Seokjin constantly to make sure he was alright.

The three then ended up in a club. Loud EDM blared through the speakers surrounding the dance floor and Yoongi had convinced Seokjin to start dancing. Namjoon watched in amusement as the slight bobbing of the head turned to full on wriggling and shaking.

Yoongi was dying.

He wheezed for air and slapped Namjoon’s arm. Namjoon had never seen Yoongi laughing quite so uninhibitedly. Seokjin then pulled Namjoon over and made him dance alongside him. Namjoon felt his face grow hot at the sound of Yoongi’s growing laughter. But at the sight of Seokjin’s smile and scrunched up almond-shaped eyes, he felt himself let go.

The music died down and Seokjin and Namjoon walked back to Yoongi who leaned on a wall, sipping on a cocktail. Namjoon was amazed he was still drinking, since the wall he leaned on, seemed to be holding most of him up.

“Jin, you can't dance.” Yoongi smiled at Seokjin. He then frowned at Namjoon. “But what's your excuse Namjoon? You're a human.”

Namjoon could only grimace as Seokjin let out a delighted laugh, one of his hands coming to cover his mouth.

After that, Namjoon felt unrestrained. He took shots and danced some more until it was nearly morning and they were stumbling back home. Seokjin’s arms around his waist the entire way back.


The next morning, Namjoon awoke with Seokjin snuggled up against his chest. His soft brown hair tickled his chin and Namjoon made the mistake of looking at his sleeping form. It wasn’t possible that Seokjin could get any more attractive, but there he was eyes closed and lips pouted, looking so peaceful and ethereal.

I can’t.

Namjoon quickly slipped out of bed and dashed to the bathroom. A cold shower had to help alleviate him from whatever Seokjin was doing to him. He stripped and jumped into the shower, biting his arm to hold back a scream as the freezing blast of water hit him.

When he finished, he stepped out and changed into a black and white striped t-shirt and black shorts with sandals. He went into the living room spotting Yoongi, the man was thrown on the couch flipping through a graphic novel.

“Hangover?”

Namjoon shook his head. “No, thank God.”

“Your fishy lover just went outside wearing just a hoodie.” Yoongi pointed to the front door that was wide open.

“You let him out like that?!” Namjoon exclaimed.

“He said he was going to visit the ocean for a bit.” Yoongi shrugged. “Also are pants a hard concept for him to grasp?”

Namjoon sighed. “Hyung…”

Yoongi sat up and stretched. “Fine, I’ll help you get him back.”

“Thank you.”

As they walked out the door, Yoongi smiled. “How was last night?”

Namjoon blushed. “Nothing happened!”

“Then why was he in such a hurry to head back? What if it was just a one night stand for him?”

“We didn’t have a one night stand. We just fell asleep.” Namjoon corrected.

Yoongi’s eyes narrowed. “Alright Nam, whatever you say.”

Namjoon wondered why Yoongi had such a hard time believing what he said. He wasn’t lying!

Maybe he thinks I’m lying to myself, Namjoon figured.

And maybe he was a little. Seokjin was gorgeous and adorable and innocent. Maybe he was attracted to the merman.

And maybe he wished something had happened between them, but Namjoon was a simple human to Seokjin. A tour guide more than a potential lover.

And he was fine with that.

Perfectly fine...

At the beach they found Seokjin collecting seashells. He would bend over and give everyone a good view of his brief covered rear, as he picked them up and shoved them into his hoodie pouch pocket. Namjoon rushed over and stood behind Seokjin.

“Namjoon!” Seokjin stood upright and hugged his neck. He looked over his shoulder at Yoongi walking up. “Hi, Yoongi!”

“I told you not to leave.” Yoongi scolded.

Seokjin pulled away from Namjoon and cocked his head to the side. “No you didn’t...you said ‘sayonara sardine boy’ and you even opened the door for me.”

Namjoon turned to Yoongi. Really?

Yoongi smiled. “Good memory for a goldfish.”

“Seokjin when you leave you should at least wear pants.” Namjoon informed as Seokjin went back to combing the sand for shells.

“I’m wearing these.” Seokjin lifted up the hoodie to show his white briefs. Namjoon eyed the bulge in the crotch area then quickly at the ground where he noticed Seokjin hadn’t put on shoes either.

“That’s underwear Jin, you got to wear pants or shorts or skirts or something,” Yoongi explained. He then pulled at his shorts. “Like this see?”

Seokjin smiled. “Okay.”

People were barely beginning to show up at the beach, but soon the hot sun would be out and it would get crowded. And Namjoon wasn’t sure how people would take Seokjin in his briefs. Sure it was a beach, but men typically wore more on their lower body than less.

“We should go back,” Namjoon said.  

“Try telling that to Flounder over there.” Yoongi motioned with his chin at Seokjin who had run ahead, squatting over a hermit crab.

Namjoon sighed for the second time that morning. He wasn’t annoyed with Seokjin, he was enamored. The way the merman bent over the crab with a beaming smile on his face. The way he waved Namjoon and Yoongi over, pointing at it with his other hand.

It was all too adorable.

“Don’t you see a lot of crabs in the sea?” Yoongi asked.

“Yeah.” Seokjin shrugged. “But little things like this are always nice. They make me happy.”

Yoongi seemed to eye-roll and walk off to stare at the horizon, while Namjoon could only stare at Seokjin staring at the hermit crab.

Seokjin caught him and pulled his hand to bring him down to knee level. “Isn’t it cute?”

“Yes, you--I mean yeah it is.”

“What do you think Namjoon?” Seokjin picked the crab up and placed it on the pink-haired man’s hand.

“About what?”

The crab tickled his palm.

“About happiness in the small things.”

“I think that’s a wise thing to believe in.” Namjoon let the crab run through his fingers then placed it back on the sand. It scurried past them and toward the water.

“Do you believe in it?”

“Well…” Namjoon sat down. “Happiness to me always seems to be something that I want to strive for. I keep thinking if I do well and work hard then maybe one day I will earn it.”

Seokjin took a seat beside him. He placed a hand on Namjoon’s bare leg. He felt his skin tingle and grow warm under it.

“Happiness shouldn’t be something to work for, Joonie.” The nickname uttered so softly had Namjoon flustering. “It’s in everything.”

“What about right now?” He asked as he kept his eyes on the sea willing for Seokjin not to notice his tizzy.

“Sure,” Seokjin replied and his hand found his way to the back of Namjoon’s neck, long crooked fingers rubbing the edge of his hairline.

Namjoon turned to look at Seokjin, whose almond eyes were bright brown in the sun and whose plush lips were slightly open in invitation. Seokjin was beautiful and surprisingly philosophical and…

Namjoon wanted to kiss him.

Damn...

“What’s that?” Yoongi called. Namjoon used it as an excuse to stand up, putting distance between him and Seokjin.

“Where?” He asked.

Yoongi pointed to the spot where Namjoon had first met Seokjin. There was someone lying on the sand, groaning.

Seokjin seemed to recognize the figure because he hurried over, Namjoon and Yoongi on his heels.

“Ugh, the humanity!”

As they approached, they saw it was a man around their age with black hair parted in the middle and a sad triangle of a mouth. Another notable thing was the blue-green tail that swished in the sand.

“Who’s the drama queen?” Yoongi asked.

“Hoseok!” Seokjin answered.

“Seokjin!” Hoseok noticed them. He gaped at the sight of Seokjin’s legs. “For the love of Poseidon where are your legs?! What are those gross, pale things?!”

“That’s not very nice, they’re just Yoongi’s legs.”

Yoongi glared at the merman and Namjoon laughed.

Hoseok ignored the joke. “Your mother is looking for you. I can’t believe you returned to land and even became one of them!”

“It’s only for a while.” Seokjin waved him off. “Besides land is great! We went dancing!”

“What’s that?”

Seokjin proceeded to crump.

“Is it painful?” Hoseok looked genuinely worried for the other merman.

“Only to watch,” Yoongi muttered.

Hoseok seemed to acknowledge him and Namjoon for the first time, giving them wary looks. “I suppose these are your land guides?”

Seokjin nodded. “This is Namjoon and Yoongi.”

Hoseok sat up straighter. “Hello, I am Hoseok, Seokjin’s royal counselor.”

“And friend,” Seokjin added.

“Yes, but I don’t see how I’m being a friend by allowing you to do this!”

“Wait.” Namjoon raised a hand. “You’re royalty?”

“Heir to the throne of the sea, yes.” Hoseok responded for Seokjin. “To which there is currently turmoil…”

Seokjin gave him a look. “Nothing that the council can't handle themselves.”

“Wow.”

“Should you be here then, your Highness?” Yoongi cut in.

“I can be where I want.”

Hoseok sighed. Clearly, Seokjin was childish in both wet and dry land.

“Listen Hoseok, just tell them I'm exploring the sunken ships by the kelps, okay?”

Hoseok looked like he wanted to argue, but closed his mouth and nodded.

“As you wish.”

He then slowly turned and belly flopped away similar to how a seal would.

“Cute.”

Namjoon and Seokjin turned to Yoongi.

“What?” Yoongi's face went pink all the way to the tips of his ears. “It's cute, he's like a seal.”

“So he's cute?” Seokjin smirked, raising an eyebrow.

“Easy there prince, I'm not into sushi like my friend here.” Yoongi thumbed to Namjoon.

“Hyung!” Namjoon blushed.

Seokjin laughed at their antics and clapped his hands. “Let's go eat chicken and beer!”

Yoongi made a face. And Namjoon had to agree, he was over fried chicken. His arteries could only take so much.

“Actually, let's try something new.” He suggested.

“Okay.” The merman chirped.


 

“Cow is life.”

Namjoon chuckled at Seokjin’s outburst. He watched the merman take huge bites out of his hamburger, chewing with his cheeks full and his eyes wide.

He was precious.

The way he chewed reminding Namjoon of an alpaca he had released at the petting zoo, one drunk night. At the sound of a cough, he turned to look at Yoongi who smirked, knowing exactly what Namjoon was doing.

Namjoon ducked his gaze and focused on his salad.

Come on Namjoon, get it together!

“Are we going dancing again?” Seokjin asked as he followed them out of the diner and down the street.

He started to crump again and Yoongi grabbed his arms to stop him. He shook his head. “We're keeping it calm today and just going to go see a movie.” Yoongi explained. “We do this every Wednesday night since that’s when it's 3 dollars.”

“3 dollars?”

“Yes, that’s cheap. And cheap is good.”

Seokjin smiled. “Cheap is good, yay!”

Yoongi smiled at Namjoon. “He's growing up.”

They ended up seeing Twilight.

“Why are we watching this?” Yoongi demanded.

“It's good to keep an open mind,” Namjoon replied. “Plus it's the only movie that came with a coupon for 5 dollars off a large soda and popcorn combo.”

Yoongi scoffed sinking lower into his seat, his head almost enveloped by his hoodie.

“Bella, no!” Seokjin shouted and the audience shushed him.

“Seokjin, we have to whisper.” Namjoon told him, bringing a finger to his lips to emphasize his point.

Seokjin put his own finger to his lips and nodded. He then shoveled more popcorn into his mouth. His lap was full of snacks. A large popcorn, a slightly burnt hot dog, sloppy nachos with jalapenos, and a box of licorice. Namjoon a licorice and chewed on it, noticing Seokjin’s eye on him.

The look turned into a smile before he turned back to the screen, but Namjoon couldn't help thinking Seokjin would have done something to him, had he not been the “human who had shown him land”.


After the movie ended and they woke up Seokjin, who had fallen into a food coma halfway through, they walked outside letting the fresh night air envelop them.

They walked past some street vendors and Seokjin approached a churro stand. The merman sniffed them then grabbed five churros running back to Namjoon and Yoongi.

“Hey!” The man from the stand yelled.

“Seokjin, you have to pay for them,” Namjoon said, a little exasperated. While Seokjin was cute, not everything he did was. He guessed he never realized so many basic rules and customs humans did that had to be taught. In a way, this was preparing him for fatherhood he guessed.  

“Ohhhh.” Seokjin returned to the stand and handed the man a clam from his hoodie.

“Is this a joke?!” The man demanded, his face going beet red.

Yoongi snickered.

“That's a quality clam, sir.” Seokjin defended.

The man glared at Namjoon.

Namjoon sighed and forked over the money, the man keeping the clam anyway.

Seokjin inhaled the churros as they continued walking.

“I'm surprised someone like you has that good of a waistline,” Yoongi commented as he watched Seokjin devour his last churro.

“Waistline?” He touched his waist. He then reached for Namjoon’s waist. “Wow, you have a good waistline too, Joonie.”

Namjoon looked at the ground and Yoongi laughed.

“Thanks.” He murmured.

Back home, Yoongi crashed on the couch, turning on some mindless TV and Namjoon retired to his bedroom. Seokjin followed.

“You can sleep on the bed and I'll take the couch outside, okay?”

“Can we sleep together like last night?” Seokjin asked.

“Uh...I mean...I guess.”

Seokjin clapped and grabbed at Namjoon, pulling him into bed. He wrapped his hands around his waist and buried his face in Namjoon’s shoulder.

“This is nice.” The merman said. “You're so warm and...dry.”

“Yeah, sometimes I forget to put on lotion.”

Seokjin giggled. “I meant because we’re on land, but your elbows could use some moisture.”

The merman reached to touch the man's arm, his long fingers skimming up to Namjoon’s arm to his elbow. His breath was now ghosting his ear and Namjoon couldn't take it anymore.

“Seokjin uh...I can’t do this.”

“Huh?”

“I'm going to go sleep on the couch.”

Namjoon untangled himself from Seokjin and got up, running out of the room with a rushed ‘goodnight’.

He failed to see the hurt in Seokjin’s eyes.


 

“Does Namjoon hate me?”

Yoongi sighed. “No, he just left you with me since he had to go to class.”

“I meant about what happened last night, he didn’t want to sleep together.”

Yoongi bit at an egg, the yolk running down to the plate. Yoongi then slopped it up with toast. Seokjin tried to copy but in the end, stuck to just toast. He didn’t like the runny texture of yolk.

“He likes you. He just doesn't want to make it awkward if you don’t feel the same way.”

“But I do!” Seokjin exclaimed. “Namjoon’s cute and handsome and long with pretty hair.”

Yoongi pretended to gag. “Goody, go get married and have tuna babies.”

“How many fish references do you have?”

“Just a couple up my sleeve.”

Seokjin grabbed Yoongi’s long sleeved shirt and looked inside the sleeve.

Yoongi yanked it back and glared at him. “Not literally!”

Seokjin gave a weak laugh. “Oh, a human joke...funny.”

“It's an expression. Now get out of here and go confess to him or something.” The mint haired man shooed him out the door and Seokjin ran out with a burst of determination.

He only made to the porch, however, since the human he adored was on the porch stairs helping a shaky, Hoseok.

“Hoseok!”

“Ugh.” Hoseok finally made it up the stairs and cupped his hands over his s. “I feel so vulnerable.”

Namjoon and Seokjin guided him to the chairs on the porch and Hoseok wrapped his shoulders in a picnic blanket.

Yoongi came out to call Seokjin back inside, before Namjoon got mad at him again, and blinked hard when he saw the three of them. He blinked again when he saw Hoseok’s form.

“I can’t believe I did this, but it was the only way, my prince. Your mother and the council were pressuring and I couldn’t keep my mouth shut any longer!”

“Well, I’m glad you’re here now.” Seokjin patted the merman’s head, reassuring him he did fine. Hoseok had always been the most nervous of friends. He supposed it was because of the job his mother had assigned him. If he made a mistake or let Seokjin make one, he stood the most to lose. His mother was a menacing queen and known to banish employees to the cold waters of the Antarctic. “Now that you’re here we can have fun and eat burgers!”

“What happened to chicken?”

“Land is full of ever-changing trends, Hoseokie.”

“I see.” Hoseok then stood up proud, with his hands on his hips and proclaimed. “We shall go for the burger then!”

Yoongi’s eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets.

“We shall go for some clothes first.” Seokjin grabbed the picnic blanket that had fallen in Hoseok’s dramatics and covered his crotch. “Humans are sensitive about .”

Hoseok cast a glance at Yoongi’s pink face. “Oh, I see.”


 

Namjoon and Yoongi now had the pleasure of taking not one, but two mermen back to the diner.

Clad in a Nike black jacket and sweats Yoongi had lying around, Hoseok gazed at everything in wonder. Namjoon felt endeared by the merman’s sense of amazement, but he didn’t fail to see Yoongi’s eyes on Hoseok as well, an unreadable expression on them.

They settled into a booth and Seokjin and Hoseok ordered burgers, while Namjoon stuck to another salad and Yoongi ordered chicken tenders.

“You can order chicken at a hamburger place?” Seokjin’s eyes widened with wonder.

“I can order whatever I want.” Yoongi replied with a cool expression as he dipped a chicken tender into ranch.

“A true rebel, hyung.” Hoseok whispered to Seokjin, who nodded.

Namjoon saw Yoongi smirk, delighted they admired him so much.

“May I?” Hoseok motioned to the chicken tenders.

Yoongi shoved the plate to him. Hoseok grabbed one and took a nibble. Unlike Seokjin, he didn’t try and shove as much as he could in a small amount of time.

“Oh, my sealord.”

Hoseok’s eyes widened and he exchanged a glance with Seokjin. He then took Yoongi’s hand and kissed it.

Yoongi squawked and Namjoon bit down a laugh.

“Bless you.” Hoseok said, looking so sincerely at Yoongi.

“It’s delicious isn’t it?” Seokjin asked.

Hoseok nodded, finishing it up.

“Wait until you try churros and dancing!”

Oh boy. Yoongi’s glance at Namjoon seemed to say.


 

“Oh boy.” Yoongi actually said as he and Namjoon watched Hoseok dancing alongside Seokjin. Namjoon could only nod in agreement.

He had expected Hoseok to be awkward and flailing like Seokjin, he’d even slipped a couple times as Namjoon helped him to his house, but he was the opposite. Smooth and fluid with short powerful movements, Hoseok danced as if he had been doing it for years. It was the kind of raw talent that made people look at him and even cheer him on.

Hoseok and Seokjin returned to the two, red and sweaty and happy once the music ended. It was an adorable sight for Namjoon. He wondered again, was this practice for fatherhood? Because he certainly felt like a proud dad.

“So I guess, it’s just you and Namjoon who are terrible dancers.” Yoongi concluded, eyes on Hoseok as he drank a water bottle, his head going back to expose a long neck.

Namjoon snickered but quickly stopped when Yoongi swerved his head to stare at him.

“I say as long as you have fun, right Namjoon?” Seokjin grabbed the man’s hands and he felt his face grow red. Now it was Yoongi’s turn to snicker.

“I-I guess.” He stammered out.

“Whatever, let’s go get drunk.” Yoongi ordered.

Seokjin let go of Namjoon and cheered, hooking an arm around Hoseok and guiding him to the bar after Yoongi. Namjoon watched them go before sighing and following. He hoped they wouldn’t take it too far.


 

They took it too far.

Namjoon wasn’t one for peer pressure, but when a cute merman with amazing eyes, lips, shoulders, personality etc. offers you a drink--how can you say no?

And so, he took that drink...and the next one...and the next one until…

He was so drunk that he couldn’t stop laughing.

Yoongi kept telling dumb fish jokes that offended Hoseok, Seokjin kept making them time how much chips ‘n dip he could eat in under a minute, and Hoseok kept dancing up on the table even after the security’s third warning.

The fourth time, eventually got them kicked out and probably banned--Namjoon couldn’t remember semantics--so, they made their way down the street.

“Do you remember where we live?” Yoongi whispered to Namjoon.

Namjoon shrugged, a lazy grin spread across his face.

Yoongi let out a wheezing laugh and stumbled forward, the leader of a pack of drunk men (well half men). Namjoon fell behind next to Seokjin, Hoseok had walked more along to stare at street food. “How are you?”

“Happy.” Seokjin giggled.

“I’m glad.”

Seokjin slipped an arm around his waist and for once Namjoon didn’t tense up, instead, he felt a little bold and wrapped an arm around Seokjin’s shoulders, admiring how his long arm fit around those broad shoulders almost perfectly.

“Oh, Namjoon!” Seokjin’s eyes flew open from their hazy half-lidded state. “I forgot to tell you something!”

“What is it?”

Seokjin’s voice went down to a whisper. “I like you.”

“R-really?!” Namjoon’s eyes reflected Seokjin’s.

Seokjin smiled and looked down. “Yeah, you’re nice and you buy me food.”

“All important qualities in a person.” Namjoon agreed. He felt his stomach churn a little. Oh no, he begged. Please don’t throw up now. “Seokjin…”

Seokjin looked up, anticipation written all over his flushed face.

Come on Namjoon, just do it. Like ripping off a band-aid!

“I...l-like you t-too.”

“Even though I’m half-fish?” Seokjin raised his eyebrows.

“You need to stop listening to Yoongi hyung.” Namjoon grimaced. He then smiled. “But no, it’s not a problem for me. It actually...attracts me more.”  

Admitting he had a weird merman kink turned out to be easier than Namjoon had thought. Seokjin lit up at the confession.

“Oh! Like in Twilight!”

“Yeah, kind of.” He didn’t exactly like the comparison, but he had to admire Seokjin’s use of a pop culture reference he had consumed recently.

Geez, he really was a dad now.

“Except I don’t want to your blood I want to your--”

And Namjoon died because he failed to hear the end of it. Hoseok crashed into them, clinging to Seokjin as Yoongi came over roaring with laughter.

“He’s scared of a little spider!”

“It was freakish! Eight thin legs crawling on the ground like that! And Yoongi said they have fangs--fangs Seokjin!” Hoseok cried.

Seokjin smiled at Namjoon before turning to Hoseok, patting him on the back gently.

“It’s alright, hyung’s here.”

Yoongi stopped laughing and frowned. “Is he okay?”

Seokjin and Namjoon looked at him in surprise.

“Yeah,” Seokjin replied a hint of a smile playing on his lips.

Yoongi then realized he had shown feelings of concern and turned around, stumbling ahead.

“Looks like you're not the only one into sushi after all.” Seokjin whispered to Namjoon as they walked after him.

Namjoon grinned in response.

Hoseok was dragged along between the two, nearly unconscious, but Namjoon had the opportunity to touch a hand on Seokjin’s nape so he didn't even mind.

Finally arriving home, Seokjin and Hoseok were dragged to Namjoon’s bed and Namjoon crashed with Yoongi on his bed. He had a lot to talk about with him.

“Should I ask him on a date? Where would we go? How should I ask? What if--”

“Namjoon, please.” Yoongi groaned. His back had been facing him, but he shifted over to glare at him.

“Where should I take him hyung?” Namjoon pleaded.

Yoongi sighed and counted to three under his breath, before replying. “Well, probably not the ocean, been there done that. Just ask him what he's curious about.”

“Okay.”

Yoongi finally turned back.

He then added. “Don't forget the bouquet of churros either.”

Namjoon chuckled and the noise lulled his best friend back to sleep with a smile.


 

“You're taking him to an arcade?”

Yoongi's tone sounded incredulous and mildly disappointed.

“He asked me if we had the equivalent of battles for honor and glory and I couldn't think of anything.” Namjoon defended. “Plus, he hasn't eaten God's holy food: pizza.”

“Does he even know this is a date?” Yoongi demanded. And rightfully so, he was still hungover and had had to chaperone Seokjin as he went to buy clothes at the disgusting hour of 11 a.m.

All to impress Namjoon.

No hungover man should be up that early, he had thought.

“Well...I explained to him the concept of hanging out.”

Yoongi sighed. “Close enough.”

He then handed Namjoon a bouquet of churros wrapped in pretty pastel pink wrapping paper and tied with an equally pink bow.

“Oh.” Namjoon took it and looked at the different flavor-filled churros in surprise. “You were serious.”

Yoongi nodded. “The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach--is an expression I've never believed in until now.”

Namjoon smiled nervously. “Wish me luck.”

“Good luck.” Yoongi took a seat on the living room couch as they waited for Seokjin to come out from the room. “And if it doesn't go well there's plenty of fish in the sea, literally.”

“Please stop hyung.”


Hoseok groaned.

He was slumped on the floor a trash bin in between his legs.

“Namjoon says that you're having a hangover because you drank too much.”

Hoseok didn't remember drinking too much. He had only drunk what Seokjin had drunk. Were human bodies affected differently by the same amount of alcohol? That had to be it.

“I feel awful like my insides are trying to come out.” He rasped. As he spoke he felt a lurch in his stomach, coupled with a pounding in his head and a soreness in his muscles.

Was this how he died? Sitting on a dingy carpet floor with a basket of puke in his legs?

“I'll tell Yoongi to keep an eye on you.”

“Yoongi?” The short one with the green hair and metal in his ears? “Where are you going?”

“Namjoon wants me to go with him to an arcade. He said it's the human equivalent to sea battles. It'll be great to see human strategies of war, maybe it would help us.”

Hoseok raised his eyebrows as Seokjin looked at himself in the mirror then grabbed a bottle, spraying it on his neck. “Only you two...and you're putting on a smell?”

Seokjin took a huff of his wrist. “It's called a perfume, it covers a human’s stench perfectly.”

“Wait a minute! Is this courtship?”

Seokjin blushed and ducked his head, he was biting the inside of his cheeks to keep a smile down.

“Hyung!”

“I'm the prince, Hoseok.” Seokjin reminded him. “I can do what I want.”

The smell of the perfume wafted through the air and Hoseok choked on it.

“That's not what I meant hyung. If the council found out...if your mother found out...There are consequences to this you know!”

His stomach lurched again as he felt nausea overcome him.

Oh no.

“Relax Hoseokie. I'll be fine.”

Hoseok smelled the perfume again and bile rose to his throat. He turned to heave, just as the door clicked close.

“Hyung!” Hoseok tried to call out, but it came out feeble and soft. He placed his head against the bed and sighed.

Damned if he let himself listen to Seokjin and drink another human beverage again.


 

Seokjin emerged in a pastel pink sweater, light blue jeans, and pink converses. Namjoon had never liked pink so much in his life.

“Wow. You look nice.” He breathed. He could feel Yoongi rolling his eyes at how dumb he must have sounded.

He didn't care.

Seokjin toed at his Converses, his ears adorably red.

“I like your Converse.”

“Thank you. Yoongi helped me pick them out.”

“It was easy just grab pink things and throw them at him.” Yoongi in, with a shrug.

“Is that your favorite color?” Namjoon asked, noting that his hair was exactly that color. But it couldn't be for that reason, could it?

“It used to be blue, but I saw the beauty in pink recently.” Seokjin looked up at him for a second before avoiding his gaze and Namjoon now knew for sure, that it was because of his hair.

“Well, this has been sufficiently gross.” Yoongi got up from the couch. “I'm out, have fun you carps.”

“Carps are freshwater fish.” Namjoon muttered. He then handed Seokjin the bouquet of churros.

“Oh!” Seokjin’s mouth opened in surprise and his eyes went round. “Thank you!”

He took a bite and made a pleased noise before shoving the bouquet in Namjoon’s face. Namjoon leaned back from his bite, but not before getting sugar dust on his nose, making them laugh. Namjoon then wiped his mouth, before reaching out to wipe at Seokjin’s chin. Seokjin then looked away and Namjoon felt heat pour into his cheeks. He pulled back his hand in embarrassment and cleared his throat.

“We should go.”

He walked to the door while keeping his eyes on Seokjin, missing the doorknob by a lot. Seokjin laughed and walked over to help him. Their hands shyly meeting in the process.


 

Hoseok was sure he was dying.

Death was torturing him with vomit and headaches before it finally claimed him. It had to be his punishment for being with humans, for daring to have fun with humans when war foreshadowed in the sea.

The creak of the door signaled the arrival of Yoongi. He came in and swept his gaze through the gross sight of vomit and Hoseok before the smell hit him and he gagged.

“What the !” He choked out, covering his nose.

“I’m dying land mammal, I need you to drag me to the beach for my last moments here.” Hoseok reached out a hand.

Yoongi rolled his eyes. “You’re not dying, you just need some pills and some Alka Seltzer.”

“What’s that? Is that a chicken?” Hoseok shuddered. “Oh please, no chicken not now!”

He then yanked the trash can and vomited.

“Jesus.”

Yoongi made him set the trash can aside then helped him up to the kitchen. He fixed him a glass of water with an Alka Seltzer and then a pain pill. Hoseok swallowed it all, then Yoongi took him to the porch for fresh air.

“Sitting out here always helps my hangovers,” Yoongi told him as they took a seat on the porch swing, Yoongi being careful not to make it move, just in case Hoseok wanted to puke again.

The sun was already beginning to set and it cast orange and pink streaks in the sky.

“It’s beautiful from here.” Hoseok admired.

“You never seen the sunset?”

Hoseok gave him a sour look. “Of course I have, I’m not uncultured! Just haven’t seen it from here, the perspective is different but still pretty.”

“You don’t seem to like it here as much as Seokjin does.” Yoongi replied, noting the wistful look on Hoseok’s face as he looked at the water, where the sun was slowly sinking into.

“Seokjin would be happy anywhere as long as they fed him enough.”

Yoongi chuckled and Hoseok threw him a grin. For a moment their eyes locked before Hoseok had to turn away and look toward the sky again, not wanting to notice how the pink in the sky was the same color as the pink in Yoongi’s cheeks.

“It’s nice here.” He continued. “I can see why Seokjin likes it, especially since he doesn’t have the responsibilities of a prince.”

“Oh yeah, I’d forgotten about that.”

“So did he.” Hoseok shook his head. “And allowing courtship to happen between him and Namjoon…”

Yoongi seemed to stiffen. “What’s wrong with that?”

“Besides the fact that we’re mermen and you’re humans?”

“Nothing wrong with little differences.” Yoongi shrugged.

Hoseok laughed. “Little differences? I’d say they’re pretty big, besides, Seokjin needs to marry a mermaid.”

“So there’s homophobia under the sea too? How pleasant.”

Hoseok was surprised at how angry Yoongi sounded. Why did he care so much? He hadn’t seemed particularly interested in mer-culture like his friend Namjoon had been. But then maybe he was thinking of his friend and how he and Seokjin liked each other. Hoseok decided to offer an explanation.

“He needs to impregnate and pass on the line. Sooner now than ever.”

“There are other ways to get a child,” Yoongi muttered.

“Well yes, but he can’t afford to get pregnant, not if he might have to fight.”

“Wait, you guys can get pregnant?” Yoongi turned to him, surprised. “Isn’t that a seahorse thing?”

“Seahorses carry the eggs of a female until birth, so yes it’s similar.”

“So can a man impregnate him?”

“Technically yes, but there would have to be female eggs already in him.”

“So a mermaid doesn’t have to marry him.”

“A mermaid has to marry him because his mother ordered it so.” Hoseok said, exasperated. He then realized what he had said. “Guess that sounds bad. Guess his mother is pretty evil.”

“Guess Seokjin and I have that in common.” Yoongi said, leaning back and letting the porch swing move slightly back and forth. “My mom’s dead though, ruling alongside Satan I bet.”

“Charming.” Hoseok smiled. “So you like human men?”

“Men, women, whatever.”

“Oh...guess we have that in common too.”

Yoongi gave the smallest of smiles. “Oh really?”

Hoseok frowned. “Yes, really.”

“You seem a little uptight though.”

Hoseok sighed. “I have to be like that. Sealord knows, Seokjin isn’t going to be the responsible one. And I’ve had my share of rebellions, I dated the son of a sea witch for a while, 8 tentacles--pretty wild.”

Yoongi’s smile grew. “I’ll bet.”

“He’s actually the one that gave Seokjin and I legs.”

“So he’s waiting for you back home?” Yoongi asked, nonchalantly.

“No, we’re mere acquaintances but...Seokjin!” Hoseok jumped out of the swing.

“What?”

“We need to go to him! There’s something he has to know!”

“He’s on a date.” Yoongi clarified.

“I don’t care! He needs to know something about him and Namjoon!” Hoseok’s urgency sent Yoongi to his feet. And they raced to the bus stop.

As they sat side by side between an old lady and a homeless man, Hoseok explained.

“When Seokjin got his legs he promised Jimin his heart, meaning he can’t fall in love.”

“So he won’t feel anything for Namjoon?”

“No meaning he will and he’ll lose his human legs!”

“In front of everyone.” Yoongi finished, worry etched on his pale face.

“Love is defined by Jimin as a true love’s kiss. That’s the proclamation. We can’t let them kiss.”

“That seems a little cliche.” Yoongi frowned.

“Cliche?”

“Love isn’t just a kiss. Love is hard work, it takes time. It’s shown in many different forms.”

Hoseok looked at him. “It seems like you know a lot about it.”

Yoongi seemed to tense up and didn’t quite meet his eye. “I’m just being realistic.”

“Well, this is realistic.” Hoseok replied. “This is the reality of the situation.”

Yoongi didn’t seem happy, but he fell silent and Hoseok wondered why such a disinterested person cared so much?

They finally got off the bus and made it into the arcade. It was an explosion of noise and colors. Children ran back and forth, screaming with exhilaration. Smells of bread and cheese and sweat wafted through the air.

“This is hardly a dignified place for battles.” Hoseok made a face as he and Yoongi walked through a mob of sticky kids. One of them touched him, leaving a red saucy handprint on his white shirt.

Yoongi seemed amused at Hoseok’s displeasure and lead them along with a pep in his step.

They found Namjoon and Seokjin playing a basketball game. The point of the game was to shoot as many balls into the hoops before time ran out. They both seemed to be struggling, Namjoon even getting hit in the face a couple times.

Yoongi led Hoseok to a Whack-A-Mole game nearby, where he had Hoseok hit furry creatures with a foam hammer.

“What is this?” Hoseok sighed, impatient to approach Seokjin already.

“It’s just to waste time.” Yoongi replied, grabbing Hoseok’s arm and helping him aim right. “We can’t just barge in if they aren’t even kissing yet.”

Hoseok stared at the pale hand on his arm, a contrast to his own tan skin. He then trailed his gaze up to Yoongi’s face. The man seemed to be concentrating on the game, his lips were pursed and his eyes were dark and focused. Mint hair fell into wisps past his eyebrows complimenting his pale complexion. He would have been a handsome merman. With that bright hair and milky skin, he’d have been very sought after.

The game ended and Yoongi fixed his eyes on Hoseok, who looked back on Seokjin and Namjoon. They were done too, moving toward a booth. Yoongi dropped his hand and walked off, leaving Hoseok to follow.

Yoongi lead them to a booth a few feet down and across from Seokjin and Namjoon. He ordered pizza and Hoseok looked at it, unsure.

“It’s a triangle of goo.”

“It’s a triangle of good goo.” Yoongi said, taking a bite of his slice.

Hoseok took his time to bite, his eyes widening comically as the taste finally hit him. “My sealord, this is the best!”

“You’re not going to kiss my hand again are you?” Yoongi pulled his hands toward him, protectively.

“Of course not.”

The employee who delivered their pizza then came and asked if they needed anything else. Yoongi said no then watched as Hoseok smiled up at the man and kissed his hand. Yoongi expected the man to punch Hoseok and he was getting himself ready to defend him, when the pizza man blushed and smiled, hurrying away with a look back. Hoseok smiled after him and Yoongi felt annoyed.

It wasn’t any of his business if Hoseok wanted to date a human, but didn’t he also have the same curse as Seokjin? Was he willing to risk a kiss from a human too?

Was he even into humans? He seemed to be more attached to his kind than humans.

Then why the flirting?

“What?” Hoseok seemed to notice his staring.

“Nothing.”

Yoongi could see the disbelief in Hoseok’s eyes, but he didn’t prod further and Yoongi was grateful. He checked on Seokjin and Namjoon, seeing they were standing up to leave.

“Time to move.”

Namjoon and Seokjin made it out of the arcade and onto the pier which overlooked the sea. As they walked, they bent their heads closer and Yoongi gave Hoseok a glance before he ran ahead.

Just as Namjoon seemed to be leaning forward with his eyes closed, Yoongi shoved Seokjin aside and became the receiver of the kiss instead.

Namjoon shouted just as Yoongi gagged.

“What the heck?!”

“Yoongi?” Seokjin stared at him in disbelief. “I knew he was jealous of me.”

Yoongi wiped his mouth. “As if! I did you a favor, your Highness!”

Hoseok came to stand beside Yoongi.

“Hoseok, what’s going on?” Seokjin demanded.

“You can’t kiss Namjoon.” Hoseok said.

“Why not?” Seokjin glanced at Namjoon, who looked back equally confused.

“He tastes like ham for one.” Yoongi answered, with a face.

Namjoon gaped. “I’m offended.”

“If you kiss him and he's your true love, you’ll turn back hyung,” Hoseok explained.

“Oh.”

“Didn’t you listen to Jimin? He sang an entire song about the consequences.”

Seokjin smiled, sheepishly. “I kind of just swam away when I got my legs.”

Hoseok sighed. Yoongi gave him a sympathetic smile.

“Wait, I'm your true love?” Namjoon asked Seokjin.

Seokjin looked down. “I mean...perhaps…maybe...yes?”

“Oh.” Namjoon turned scarlet red.

“So I can’t kiss him on the lips right?” Seokjin turned to Hoseok. “Because you kissed Yoongi on the hand, so you should have turned back by now.”

Yoongi flustered at that.

“What?” Hoseok raised his eyebrows. “What are you saying hyung?”

Jin smiled. “What am I saying indeed?”

He then grabbed Namjoon’s arm and pulled him ahead. “Come on Namjoon, let’s finish our date and let them start theirs.”

They walked away leaving Hoseok and Yoongi in uncomfortable silence.

“What was that?”

“What was that?”

They spoke up at the same time then looked away from each other.

“Look land dweller…”

“Yoongi.”

“Bless you.” Hoseok continued, Yoongi frowned. “You’re nice--well maybe not nice--you’re cute and all--”

“You think I’m cute?”

“Uh.” Hoseok could feel his face burning. “Well...that messed it up even more.”

“Just…” Yoongi extended his hand out.

Hoseok smiled and grabbed it, planting a light kiss on it.

Yoongi turned a strong shade of pink and Hoseok liked that it matched the setting sky.


 

Namjoon kissed Seokjin on the cheek. Seokjin giggled and returned the kiss. Namjoon then moved on to Seokjin’s throat, giving his pulse a gentle . Seokjin sighed and his fingers dug into Namjoon’s shoulders. Namjoon pulled away, as he felt Seokjin shiver.

“Is this okay?”

Seokjin nodded. “Yes.”

Namjoon then lead him to the bedroom, pushing him down on the bed. He pressed an open mouth to Seokjin’s neck, before pulling off his sweater. He admired Seokjin’s firm chest and torso, planting wet kisses on his skin. Seokjin whined as Namjoon stopped on a , it hard and then giving it a tug.

“You're so beautiful.” Namjoon murmured his breath ghosting across Seokjin’s skin, causing goosebumps to appear.

Seokjin reached out and ran his hands through Namjoon’s hair, before tugging him up to kiss him deeply.

“Namjoon.”

“Hm?”

“I want you to show me how humans make love.”

Namjoon flustered but nodded quickly. He swallowed, mouth dry as Seokjin kicked off the rest of his clothes, laying back stark .

Namjoon couldn't believe someone as beautiful and magical as Seokjin wanted him. He hoped he was enough for the merman. He didn't exactly have a ton of experience and he wouldn't exactly call himself an expert.

Oh man...I’m rusty…

Namjoon realized he hadn't slept with someone in over a year.

He really didn't want to disappoint him.

Namjoon kissed his waist, dipping down to his V-shaped trail that led down south.

“Are you nervous?” Seokjin asked slightly out of breath, already his skin was red and flushed, especially on the tips of his ears.

Namjoon smiled and nodded.

Seokjin smiled back, the top row of his teeth a bright white against his lips. “So am I.” He admitted.

“We'll face it together,” Namjoon said, giving him a chaste kiss on the nose.

Seokjin agreed and before they knew it they were under the sheets, Seokjin clinging to him for dear life.


 

Seokjin laid beside Namjoon afterward and made a decision. He had been using land as a way to escape, but now, he knew he couldn't postpone his duties any longer. He was the only heir to the throne and now if he had done it right, he would be able to carry on the line of successors. He turned to Namjoon, soft snores coming from his open mouth, his pink hair a mess on the pillow. He never thought he'd love a human, but there he was.

And now it's time to go.

Seokjin thought, his eyes already watering. He leaned over and kissed Namjoon and Namjoon kissed back in his sleep.

It was passionate and loving and Seokjin nearly wanted to cry from the explosion of emotions that emanated from his chest. Seokjin then quickly slipped out of his embrace and raced to the door. He fell outside of it, as his legs glued together and transformed into his tail.

“Idiot!” He covered his face with his hands. He had thought he would have more time.

Without legs, there was nothing holding him back from returning.

Except for his tail.

“Hyung?”

Hoseok had emerged from the bathroom and was by his side at an instant with wide eyes.

“You kissed him?!”

Seokjin nodded, wiping his eyes.

“Let's get you some water then we can tell Namjoon...” Hoseok stood and headed back to the bathroom.

“No,” Seokjin called. Hoseok turned.

“Hyung you'll get dehydrated!”

“Take me back home.”

“But hyung--”

“Listen to what I say, Hoseok. I command you as your prince.” Seokjin snapped.

Hoseok stood gaping, before nodding and grabbing Seokjin’s arms and pulling him out of the house.

Seokjin felt his tail drag along the wood floors, his scales occasionally making scraping noises and he was grateful that Namjoon and Yoongi were deep sleepers. He couldn't imagine how Namjoon would react if he saw him sneaking out so pathetically.

And without a goodbye.

Hoseok made it all the way out of the house, then did his best to carry Seokjin on his back to the beach.

When they finally arrived, Seokjin turned to the poor merman who was out of breath.

“Thank you Hoseok.”

“Hyung, are you going to find Jimin and ask for legs again or--”

“It's over.” Seokjin cut in. He held back tears as he continued. “Look at me, Hoseok. I'm a merman, he's a human. How would it work?”

“He lives by the beach, so maybe a semi-distant relationship?” Hoseok offered with a weak smile.

Seokjin smiled. “You're a good friend, Hoseokie. But I'm a prince and I need to start taking responsibility. There's a war coming and I'm not going to run away and pretend it's not happening. This whole human experience was an eye-opener.” He then began to slowly slip into the water.

“Hyung…” Hoseok pouted, his eyes round with sadness.

Hoseok would have to stay on land to escape his mother's wrath. As much as he wanted to bring his only friend, he couldn't risk what his mother would do to him.

“Goodbye Hoseok, stay here and take care of them.”

Hoseok nodded and waved as Seokjin disappeared into the ocean.

As dumb as it sounded, Seokjin was glad his tears couldn't be felt underwater.


Namjoon woke up with a stretch. He felt his spine pop and he smiled turning to his side.

Seokjin was gone.

Namjoon sat up, noting his clothes were in a pile by the floor.

Is he outside again? Namjoon wondered.

He got dressed and made his way to the kitchen, seeing Yoongi sitting at the kitchen table several books open around him.

“Where’s Seokjin?”

Yoongi shrugged. “I got a midterm, so please don't talk to me.”

Namjoon frowned and went to look out the porch. When he saw no one there he figured the merman must've gone combing for seashells again.

With no clothes.

Apprehension filled Namjoon’s stomach as he raced to the beach. He had reminded Seokjin to wear clothes outside, so why would he be ...unless…

Namjoon thought back to the night before. Had he kissed him?

No, I kissed him everywhere, but on the lips.

Namjoon reassured himself over and over, but as he made it to the beach and saw a slumped over Hoseok, his hope drained away.

“Seokjin…”

Hoseok gazed at him and shook his head.

Namjoon kicked the sand. “Goddamnit!”

“He wanted to go back. He had to fulfill his role as prince.”

“You didn't go back?”

“They banished me,” Hoseok mumbled. His eyes were puffy and his chin was trembling.

“What?”

“When his mother found out Seokjin was gone, they interrogated me, but I wouldn't say where he was. So, they banished me and called me a traitor.”

“And then you came here.” Namjoon finished.

“And now Seokjin’s gone back and I can't go home and I can't fall in love here...I'm alone now.”

“I'm so sorry.” Namjoon murmured.

Hoseok sighed and walked off. “It's okay.”

Namjoon turned back to the water and stared out, hoping he could catch a glimpse of Seokjin, but it was pointless.

Seokjin had returned and even his love for him hadn't been enough to stop him.


 

The days dragged onto weeks dragged into months. Yoongi graduated college and went to research at a nearby lab that specialized in ocean life. Namjoon was struggling to finish his last year preferring to write songs and make beats. Most of his songs were about lost loves and even Yoongi found them to be a downer. Of course, the older man was happier since he and Hoseok’s relationship had budded slowly but surely, since Seokjin’s departure. And while Namjoon was happy for them, he was also jealous.

He missed Seokjin so much.

Despite knowing he would never see him again, every week he went out to the beach at night, hoping to see anything that would remind him of the merman. Usually, it ended up being seashells or small crabs.

One night after nearly a year, he walked alongside the water when a strong wave nearly knocked him over.

Namjoon steadied himself and saw a figure emerge from out of the tide.

“Seokjin?”

“Namjoon!”

Namjoon kneeled into the water, cupping the merman’s face in his hands.

Seokjin was still the same, his hair a bit shorter and there was a scar by his eyebrow, but he was still so beautiful.

Namjoon kissed him.

He then pulled away. “Sorry, I don't even know...you might be married...I...how are you?”

Seokjin smiled. “Namjoon I've missed you so much, why would I ever be married?”

“I've missed you too.” Namjoon said relieved, he then touched Seokjin’s eyebrow scar. “What happened?”

“War,” Seokjin said grimly. “The sea witch from the council us and lead a mutiny against my mother. She was killed before she could even forgive me for running away to land.”

Namjoon caressed the scar. “I'm so sorry.”

Seokjin shrugged, a sad smile on his lips. “She was the worst, but she was still my mother. When I returned, the kingdom was in ruins. I had to gather up forces and even now it's not enough. I have to travel to the Antarctic to retrieve a weapon that can help us win, but the journey will be long and the battle even longer.”

“Do you...need help?” Namjoon asked. He wasn’t sure how he would help, but he had to at least try.

Seokjin shook his head. “The travel for you would be too long and I need you to take care of this.”

Seokjin pulled out a seaweed covered bundle from his side.

It let out a small cry.

Seokjin uncovered it to reveal a baby.

“What on Earth?”

“It's our son.”

Namjoon gaped.

“His name is Taehyung.”

“Seokjin...how...when…”

“We didn't exactly use protection.” Seokjin laughed. “And I also had some female eggs planted inside me, since I knew I wasn't going to marry a mermaid. I was looking for a merman, but settled for a man with pretty hair and a handsome smile instead.”

“Seokjin...this is…”

Namjoon couldn't even formulate his thoughts. He was a father? He hadn't even finished college yet, he was still paying off his tuition, he didn't even know how to hold a baby right.

“I want you to raise him here on land, it's not safe in the sea. He's the only heir to the throne and if something…” Seokjin looked away. “If something happens to me, he needs to be the next in line.”

Seokjin handed him the baby and Namjoon held it in his arms awkwardly.

I'm holding a royal heir to an ocean throne in my arms right now.

Namjoon tried not to drop it and run away.

“Can I ask this of you?” Seokjin wasn't the same, now that Namjoon really looked at him, his eyes were worn out, his body slightly tapered with scars, his demeanor more mature.

He missed the childish gleam in his eyes.

“You can,” Namjoon replied.

He owed Seokjin this much. He was about to go on some prophetic journey and Namjoon just had to learn to change diapers.

Seokjin smiled and it was almost like the ones he would give him before.

“Bend down so I can kiss you.”

Namjoon eagerly leaned over and they kissed until the baby began to cry and Seokjin turned to give him a kiss on the forehead.

“Goodbye, I love you.”

“Goodbye, I love you.” Namjoon repeated, watching the merman go back into the ocean.


“What is that?” Yoongi blurted out as Namjoon walked in soaking, with a baby in his arms.

“It's...my son.”

“What?!”

Hoseok bounded out from the kitchen and peered at the baby. “Where did you find him?”

“Seokjin showed up and handed him to me.”

Seokjin?!” Hoseok gasped.

“He said there's a war with a sea witch and the council and he has to get a weapon from the Antarctic…”

“A weapon...oh!” Hoseok’s eyes widened. “Oh no! The journey will be long and dangerous and what if something happens and what about the kingdom oh…”

Hoseok turned frazzled and bit his lip nervously.

“Are you okay?” Yoongi was at his side.

Hoseok nodded. “I just...worry about Seokjin, all alone.”

“So do I,” Namjoon said staring down at the baby.

Seokjin had seemed so determined to hand him over as if knowing he wouldn’t make it back.

No. He will make it back. Namjoon reassured himself.

He had to.

Yoongi wore a pensive expression, before pulling Hoseok’s head and kissing him on the lips.

Hoseok gasped when they pulled away and immediately fell forward, a giant tail spanning from his lower torso.

“Yoongi!”

“I'm glad it actually worked. For a minute, I thought you would have to go kiss the pizza guy from the arcade.”

“Jungkook’s just a friend for the last time!” Hoseok glared at him and shook his head. “Why did you do this?”

“You think I haven't seen the way you look at the water? The ocean's your first love.”

Hoseok’s eyebrows furrowed. “But…”

“Go to Seokjin and go help him find this weapon thing whatever,” Yoongi ordered. “Namjoon and I don't really understand all this merman stuff, but it's important to you, so you need to go.”

“Okay I will, but...maybe you should have kissed me by the beach and not in the house?”

“Damn, you're right.”

Namjoon then grabbed a blanket and tied the baby to his back as he helped Yoongi carry Hoseok to the beach.

“Yoongi, I love you.”

“I know.” Yoongi tried to remain cool, but his eyes gave away his feelings towards the merman.

Namjoon quickly walked away to let them be cheesy, alone.

Once Hoseok left, Yoongi and Namjoon stood by the tide.

“We really had to go and fall in love with sushi.” Namjoon commented.

Yoongi cracked a smile. “Yeah, but at least I didn't get left with a baby shrimp. What are you even going to do with him?” He motioned to the baby who was sleeping in Namjoon’s arms.

“I'm going to feed it, hopefully. What does he eat?” Namjoon asked. “What do baby half mermen eat?”

“Milk from sea cows?” Yoongi shrugged.

“Welp, time to Google.” Namjoon headed back to the house with Yoongi at his heels.

Hopefully, he would raise their son right, for Seokjin’s sake.


 

Hoseok swam toward his home, his feelings a mix of love for Yoongi and dread for Seokjin.

Yoongi had always been so understanding of his love for the ocean. He would constantly take him to the beach and ask him if he wanted to return. Hoseok had, but he knew he would only be punished by Seokjin’s mother and neither Yoongi nor Seokjin wanted that.

But now, Seokjin was the leader. And Yoongi understood that meant Hoseok’s freedom.

I'll come back to you, Yoongi. Hoseok thought as he swam, determinedly.

As he made it to his kingdom, he froze. The castle was destroyed. Half of it was caved in, the coral completely destroyed.

Hoseok was nauseous.

He quickly swam inside the royal quarters and looked for Seokjin’s room.

Please be in here…

“Hoseok?”

Just as Hoseok made it in the room, he was called from the hallway. He turned and saw Seokjin, mirroring his shocked expression.

“Hoseok.” Seokjin’s eyes softened and he ran into his arms.

They hugged until they had to let go and Hoseok took in Seokjin’s appearance. His hair was now cropped short to his head and his skin was littered with scars, some more faded than others. His scales were missing their royal shiny glow and his eyes seemed tired, the bags under them more prominent than ever.

“Namjoon told me you were going to retrieve a weapon from the Antarctic. ” Hoseok explained how Namjoon had come in with the baby and how Yoongi had kissed him right away.

“So you and Yoongi huh?” Seokjin smirked. “I knew it.”

Hoseok waved it off. “It just happened out of convenience.”

Seokjin hummed. “Sure.”

Hoseok smiled then looked around the hallway, his smile fading.

“I wanted you to stay and help Namjoon raise Taehyung, but I'm so glad you're here.” Seokjin admitted.

Hoseok gave a grim smile. “So am I. Why has the sea witch  us?”

Seokjin sighed. “Power, why else?”

“And her son? Jimin?”

“She stole him away, he's not allowed to fight in this war. Rumor is, he's against it.”

“Then he's our key to stopping it,” Hoseok concluded.

“Yes, but we also need the weapon. Her magic is advanced and her numbers are growing.”

Hoseok frowned. “Then we better get going.”


Years passed and Taehyung grew from a squishy baby to a clumsy toddler. With wide brown eyes and a mop of brown hair, he reminded Namjoon so much of Seokjin. Now at the age of three, he loved to run to the beach even when his father told him not to. He would even run out in just his undies, reminding Namjoon even more of the merman.

Taehyung would splash in and turn into a merman then flop out and turn back into a human.

After learning this trick at the age of two, Taehyung took every opportunity to do it.

“Careful Tae or the seagulls will pick at you again,” Namjoon called.

He and Yoongi sat on the sand, beers between them as they watched the boy play one summer evening.

“At least they can't pick him up and fly away with him now.” Yoongi commented, running a hand through his blonde hair. He had still yet to find a color he wanted to dye it, already having had most of the colors of the rainbow. Namjoon himself had gone back to being a natural brunette.

“Yeah thank God,” Namjoon replied. Taehyung as an infant had been a frightening time for him.

“It's officially been three years.”

Namjoon nodded and took a sip of his beer. He had managed to finish school,  despite being with child and he was now occasionally working with Yoongi at his lab and occasionally writing children's books about the ocean for his son and for publishing.

He had told Taehyung his other father lived in the ocean and maybe one day he would visit him, but upon hearing that, Taehyung would run to the water and hit it, screaming for his “sea dad”. It made an ache form in Namjoon’s heart. Seokjin could be dead for all he knew.

Or worse, uninterested in returning.

“Seokjin hasn't come once, not even for his own son.”

“Hoseok didn't even look that sad when he left me,” Yoongi added.

“Mermen .”

Yoongi raised his beer can in salute.

Taehyung suddenly raced back into the water just as a big wave came.

“Tae!” Namjoon screamed as the wave crashed down on his child.

Yoongi spat out his beer and they raced to the water just as it began to glow.  Namjoon was ready to dive in, but Yoongi held his shoulder with the shake of his head.

The water then rose and parted revealing two figures walking out of it.

What the ?  

Namjoon could only stare in awe as Seokjin emerged in a tunic and pants with boots, an enormous trident in one hand and his son in the other. Hoseok followed behind an uneasy smile on his face as he met Yoongi’s eyes.

“What the ?” Yoongi’s exclamation summed up Namjoon’s thoughts.

“S-Seokjin.” He choked out.

“Sea dad! Sea dad!” Taehyung clung to Seokjin’s neck.

Seokjin nuzzled the boy's head before gazing at Namjoon.

“How…?”

“It's such a long story.” Seokjin sighed. He then used the trident to calm the water back to normal and walked over into Namjoon’s arms.

“Hello, you piece of krill.” Yoongi glared at Hoseok.

Hoseok smiled softly. “Hello, land mammal.”

Yoongi’s face turned pink and Hoseok took that as permission to hug him.

They settled down in the sand and Seokjin began to explain.

“After Hoseok found me in the kingdom we swam to the Antarctic to retrieve the trident, then we had to go battle the sea witch all while running a secret operation to help her son escape. Once he was out, he used his magic to turn her into a sponge and keep her in a bottle. Then there a peace treaty and a new council established--”

“The rebuilding of the castle,” Hoseok added.

“Yeah and it all roughly took three years.” Seokjin finished.

“So the trident gives you legs?” Namjoon asked.

“That's all you got from this?” Hoseok demanded.

“Sorry I just want to know if I can kiss you?” Namjoon smiled gazing at Seokjin. His hair was longer now, the scars were fading and the mischief was back in his eyes.

“Yes.” He smiled.

Namjoon grabbed him and kissed him for the first time in his human form. It felt like an explosion of fireworks in his brain as his neurons fired away in pleasure.

He pulled away and laughed at the look of disgust on Taehyung’s face.

Seokjin set him down and he ran around them.

“He's so big now,” Seokjin commented.

“Les go eat churros!” Taehyung yelled, fists in the air.

“And he takes after you.” Namjoon said.

“Unfortunately,” Yoongi muttered.

They all laughed and then made their way to a churro stand upon Seokjin’s and Taehyung’s insistence.