Let It Go

Let It Go

Jackson kept staring at the same photograph for the last three hours now.

 

It was of Jaebum with his new boyfriend, Choi Youngjae.

 

Jackson could feel his breath getting caught in this throat. It had only been a little over a year since Jaebum broke up with him.

 

Ever so often he recalled that distant memory.


It happened a week after their anniversary. Jaebum had called him to meet him that night at the cafe near Jackson’s home.

 

Jaebum sounded hurt and confused. Jackson ran that night all the way to the small building. He almost crashed into Jaebum when he reached it. Jaebum had been waiting outside the whole time.

 

Jackson wanted to hug the older boy but something inside him told him that he shouldn’t.

 

“S-Should we go inside?”

 

Jaebum took a minute before he responded, his fingers nervously playing with the ends of his shirt.

 

“I don’t think that’s a good idea, Jackson.. You know I really care about you, right?”

 

All he could manage to do in that moment was nod his head slightly, a small knot forming in his throat. It was like his entire being knew what was about to happen.

 

“Look this isn’t easy for me to say.. but I.. I am not in love with you anymore.”

 

Jackson’s eyes slightly flickered up to catch a glimpse of Jaebum before slowly hanging his head. No words seemed to come out of Jackson’s lips.

 

Many thoughts ran through his mind but it was as if his lips weren’t cooperating with him.

 

“We can still be friends. I love you, Jackson. I always will but I’m no longer in love with you.”

 

He bit down on his lips as tears threatened to fall, his knuckles began to turn white from how hard he was clutching onto the sides of his shirt.

 

The last thing he remembers was of his tears finally covering his cheeks and he could hear Jaebum’s footsteps getting further and further away.

 

All his happy memories with Jaebum lead to this crappy one but he would never regret his time with the other.

 

The way Jaebum touched him, the way Jaebum would give him slow and passionate kisses.

 

The way the taller would hold him in his arms and always seem to make Jackson feel as if he were floating when he was in Jaebum’s arms.

 

The conversations they had late at night about how they had to travel and meet the rest of the world together, about how proud Jaebum made Jackson for sticking up to his parents and fulfilling his career in the music industry regardless of his parents revoking the idea.

 

Jaebum and him could be talking about anything and Jackson wouldn’t help but smile.

 

He really did love the older male. Every part of Jackson screamed Jaebum’s name.

 

Jackson would be lying if he said that Jaebum moving on didn’t faze him, but he also felt happy for the older male. He seemed genuinely happy with his new partner and that’s all that truly matter.

 

Maybe Jaebum wasn’t happy with him but he was happy nonetheless.

 

Now it was also time for Jackson to find his own happiness.