Annoyed

First Shot

A small crumbled ball of paper softly rolls onto Wendy's desk as she is jotting down all the terms that Miss. Kim is scribbling on the blackboard.

 

She looks around to see if she can find the owner of the note but no one is even sparing her a glance. Everyone seems to be paying attentively to the lecture. Or at least pretending to.

 

She opens up the crushed paper and immediately scoffs at the content.

 

Hey Babe. You look awfully cute trying to scribble everything down while biting your lips. K.S.

 

K.S. Wendy looks to her left with a disgruntled face. Three seat away is Kang Seulgi looking back at her with a playful smile. She winks the minute she knows she has gotten Wendy's attention.

 

Wendy gives her a scowl and turns her attention back to the blackboard, crumbling the note back to its original state and leaves it in the corner of her desk like it is a piece of trash that she should not forget to throw away after class.

 

Not even ten minutes later another piece of crumbled paper lands on the center of her notebook, taking the exact spot that she was going to place her next word.

 

Even though she is fully aware of who it is from, curiosity got the best of her and she opens the note begrudgingly.

 

Babe. You are like the substrate to my enzyme. Without you, I'm inactive. K.S

 

Wendy cringes at the cheesy flirt. Did Kang Seulgi just use biology terms to flirt with her? What the heck. Is the girl actually paying attention to what Ms. Kim is saying? She looks down at her own notebook to see the words substrate and enzyme scribbled neatly in a line.

 

She throws the girl three seats away a deadly glare to warn her to stop whatever she is doing. The last thing she wants is to be caught passing notes in class. A note that she doesn't even want!

 

She instantly regrets it because there Kang is, puckering her lips and sending Wendy an air kiss that seems to be mocking her.

 

She crumbles the paper up like the first again and leaves it next to the identical ball of paper.

 

Seems like the girl just brushes off her warning without a care because 3 minutes later, another ball of paper rolls onto her desk.

 

Before she can shoot K.S another deadly glare, Miss. Kim's reprimanding tone jolts her back to the present and commands her attention.

 

. Cold sweats dampen her back for she knows that she's in trouble. And it's not even her fault!

 

"Miss Son. Seems like what you have there is more important than what I'm teaching. Mind sharing with the class?"

 

Her words come out politely but her voice sounds otherwise.

 

"I-"

Wendy can't even say anything back because the look on Ms. Kim's face doesn't even allow her to back out of the request.

 

So with shaky fingers, she undo the ball of paper and squeaks out the words with a small whisper.

 

"Babe. Are you the action potential to my axons? Because you seem to be running through my mind the whole day." K.S

 

Her head hangs low, afraid to look at reactions that her teacher or anyone of her classmate is giving her. She can feel the burns on her cheeks as she hears snickers and soft giggles echoes in this deadly silent classroom. If only the ground can open up and swallow her whole right now. Anything is better than being here at the center of attention of this embarrassing moment.

 

As if the situation cannot get any worse, Wendy looks horrified when Miss. Kim sentences both her and Seulgi to detention. "Son. Kang. It seems like you both are ready for the upcoming exam. You will be helping Miss. Jung out in the library for the next two days."

 

"But-" Wendy wants to explain herself. She wasn't even the one to pass the note. If anything, she was the one who was trying to stop it! But Miss. Kim's deadpan face tells her that her words are final.

 

Only when everyone's attention is back on the blackboard that Wendy turns to face the culprit. The originator of this whole mess. It irks her even more to see the smirk on Seulgi's face. The girl has no remorse whatsoever that she has just gotten her in trouble! If anything, she looks like she's enjoying it. Happy even, to be in detention!

 

Along with the last note, she takes the first two notes into her fist and squeezes them, instilling in them all the anger that she has at the moment.

 

It’s okay Wendy. She's a jerk. Don't let her get to you. Don't give her the satisfaction of seeing you upset. She repeats the sentence like a mantra until she can feel her anger slowly dissipates.

 

Her anger boils upward again like an erupting volcano when she sees that fourth ball of paper gently rolls into her desk. Swaying back and forth like a ing annoying pendulum that doesn't know how to stop.

 

It’s okay Wendy. She's a jerk. Don't let her get to you. Don't give her the satisfaction of seeing you upset. She closes her eyes and breaths out the anger slowly.

--

"Ready, babe?" and there she is, Kang ing Seulgi, leaning against the wall at the exit of Wendy's last class with her annoying smirk, reminding her of her underserved punishment.

 

Wendy packs up her backpack and walks past the girl like she is invisible. Transparent. Not there. Anything to make her unsee that annoying smirk.  

 

"Wait up babe! What's the rush?" Seulgi catches up easily with her long legs. Her smooth husky voice attracts the attention of many onlookers who still linger in the hallway after school. Wendy ducks her head embarrassingly at the attention.

 

"Will you stop calling me that? I have a name you know." she hisses at the girl a step behind her.

 

"Ho? I didn't know we were close enough to be at a first name basis already." Wendy can just hear the teasing smirk on Seulgi's face without even having to look at her.

 

"I guess I'll call you Wannie from now on. And you can call me honey if you want."

 

Wendy stops dead in her track. Stunned and speechless by Seulgi's sly response.

 

Before she can make a comeback the girl already walks on ahead leaving Wendy rooted to her spot.

 

"Hurry Wannie! We’re gonna be late. Wouldn't want another day of detention now do we?" so she said but her joyful tone tells Wendy that she would welcome another detention session any day.

 

But just because Seulgi is a frequent visitor of detention doesn't mean Wendy is, so she quickens her pace to catch up and hopefully bypass the girl in front of her.

--

"Hey, Wannie. What do you say we go out for a quick snack after this?" Seulgi continues to pester her during the duration of detention.

 

Miss. Jung had assigned them carts of books to return to the shelf. She was supposed to do A-L while Seulgi takes M-Z but the rebellious girl just left her cart in the corner and follows Wendy around at every step.

 

As hard as she tries to ignore the girl, Seulgi is as pestering as an annoying fly trapped in a room, buzzing at her ear every few seconds. “What do you like?” Wendy moves on to the next section without answering and Seulgi follows suit. “Ice cream? Bread?” Wendy turns to grab the next book on the cart but was shocked to see how close Seulgi’s face is to hers. “Or a sweet kiss?” That annoying smirk makes its way back on Seulgi’s face and she puckers her lips as she inches slowly toward Wendy.

 

“Yah! Stop it!” Wendy gives the taller girl a light push. “Seriously! What do you want from me?” She asks in all seriousness. Because she cannot, for the life of her, come up with an answer as to why the girl keeps bouncing back like a freaking yo-yo no matter how hard she flings.

 

Sure Kang Seulgi is a delinquent, a troublemaker, but the girl has the charisma to go with that pretty face of her to have guys and girls buzzing about around her like bees to honey. So why her? All she wanted was to finish high school peacefully and discreetly. What she hates more than Biology is attention. Especially unwanted attention!

 

“A kiss?” Seulgi tilts her head slightly to give Wendy a clear view of her cheek as she points to it.

 

Of course, leave it to Kang Seulgi to answer a reasonably serious question with an unreasonably playful answer. Wendy scoffs and rolls her eyes at the girl before giving her another deadly glare. For the third time today!

 

“No?” Seulgi smirks at Wendy’s reaction. “How about a date instead?” Seulgi gives her best impression of a sincere smile but that annoying smirk is too deeply ingrained in Wendy’s mind to see that there may be a hint of honesty in Seulgi’s suggestion.

 

“Gosh! I can’t with you!” Wendy lets out an exasperated groan before pushing her cart onward to the next shelf. And, of course, Seulgi keeps following as if she is Wendy's own shadow.

--

Wendy was more than ecstatic to see the desk three seats away empty when she walked into biology class the next day.

 

Don’t get your hope up Wendy. She’s probably just late again. Wendy keeps glancing at the door to see if anyone, any girl, in particular, is going to casually stride in. 10 minutes into class and she grins to herself when not a shadow was in sight. 30 minutes in and she finds herself boring holes at the door now.

Nothing! No one! Is she playing hooky today? Is she not going to show up for detention then?

Wendy can feel her frustration rising at the absence of a certain K.S. Where the hell is she?

 

Wendy should be happy that there is no one there to throw sappy notes at her or making kissy faces or getting her in trouble but instead, she feels frustrated that the girl is absence.

 

She internally cusses out at Seulgi for ditching class without notifying her. But why the hell should she tell her if she is going to come to school or not. Because they were supposed to be in detention together! Isn’t it better if she’s not there at detention though? But…then she will have to organize all the books herself! But…it’s not like Seulgi is any help anyway!

 

Wendy plays devil’s advocate with herself as to why she even cares if the girl is going to show up at detention or not.  

 

Realizing that she's fighting a losing battle, Wendy grabs the eraser nearby and began to rub it ferociously against a clean page on her notebook to take out all the frustration that had built up. Rubbing away all the graphite stain left by her pencil markings. Rubbing away any and all thoughts of Kang Seulgi and her stupid annoying smirk.

--

“Who ate her cupcake?” Yeri questions when she sees the frown on Wendy’s face.

 

“Seulgi” Joy calmly answers in Wendy’s stead. Seeing how her friend is still frustrated.

 

“What did she do this time?”

 

“She didn’t show up to class.” Yeri throws Joy a puzzling glance at her answer. Isn’t that supposed to be a good thing? Joy just shrugs. She’s not sure why her friend is so upset and she doubts if Wendy knows why either.

 

Wendy carries that frown with her all the way to the library. Hah. No Kang annoying Seulgi to wait for her at her last class today. Even better! She stomps her way toward the library as she repeats the good news to herself.

 

She should be annoyed when she sees Seulgi in the library. Sleeping on the table in the corner of the room without a care in the world. Instead, she smiles at the peaceful face of the girl sleeping. Seulgi’s head rests gently on her arms, her bangs fall comfortably to the side, and slight ajar.

 

She…could look pretty… cute…when she’s sleeping

 

Wendy leans closer to get a better look.

 

“Morning babe” Wendy steps back in surprised when Seulgi suddenly opens her eyes.

 

“I-I-uh-um” Wendy stutters to find an explanation as to why she’s so close. But Seulgi doesn’t seems to mind the proximity because the next thing Wendy knows, Seulgi is already making her next move.

 

“Babe. I’m no organ donor but I’ll be more than willing to give my heart to you if you ask.” Seulgi stands up abruptly and closes in on the gap.

 

“S-stop it!” Wendy makes a feeble attempt to push the taller girl away. But her attempt just made it easier for Seulgi to capture her hand and place it over her heart.

 

“But maybe I died already? Because it seems like you already own my heart.”  

 

Instead of Seulgi’s, Wendy can feel her own heart beat quickens at their proximity and her brain blanks without her usual rejection.

 

Thank goodness Miss. Jung came just in time to interrupt them.

 

Wendy continues where she left off yesterday and Seulgi continues to shadow her every step of the way. And since M-Z were left unsorted, thanks to someone, Wendy and Seulgi were forced to stay a little later to sort through the rest of the books.

 

By the time they are done, the sun had already set.

 

“It’s late. Let me walk you home.” Seulgi offers.

 

Wendy wants to say no but Seulgi looks so serious for the first time that she can’t help but nod at the offer.

 

And she can see why Seulgi was so stern with her offer because not even 200 meters away from the school ground, Wendy can already sense the danger shrouding the neighborhood with a bunch of scary looking people hanging around in the shadow.

 

She knows that their neighborhood is not one of the best but she has never stay late enough to find out before.

 

By instinct, she scoots closer to Seulgi. She feels safe and protected knowing that Seulgi is there.

 

And when Seulgi grabs her hand for reassurance, Wendy lets her and they walk silently toward her home.

 

“Hey, cutie. Wanna hang out with us?” A group of guys come up to them and block their path. “We can show you some good time.” One guy smirks lecherously as he puts his hand on Wendy’s shoulders.   

 

“ off!” Seulgi brushes off the hand that rests on Wendy’s shoulder and glares him down like an alpha defending its herd from enemies.

 

Her voice growls in warning and her eyes harden like steel. This Seulgi is far from the playful image that Wendy is used to.

 

The guy was the first to break off the eye contact but he wasn’t going to embarrass himself by backing down. At least not with his buddies around.

 

“And if I don’t?” He places his hand back on Wendy’s shoulder with a weak smug.

 

At that comment, Seulgi pushes him away and gives him a hard punch in the face that leaves him hollering in pain.  

 

Even though Seulgi is a good fighter, three against one puts her at a disadvantage. It also doesn’t help that her focus was split between fighting and protecting Wendy, making sure she is out of harm.

 

And the guys took advantage of that to grab her by the arms and lock her in place.

 

Wendy watches in horror as Seulgi takes hits after hits.

 

Seulgi manages to find an opening and kick the guy in front right in the stomach causing him to stumble backward in pain. She took advantage of their momentarily shock and spins around to throw an upper cut right under one of the guy’s chin before tackling the other one down to the ground.

 

“. This is crazy! Let’s go. She’s not worth it!” One of the guys yells out to his buddies before limping away with him friends in tow.

 

Only then did Seulgi slumps to the ground in exhaustion.

 

“Seulgi! Seulgi! Are you okay?” Wendy runs up to the girl with tears in her eyes.

 

“Babe, there are so many stars twirling around my head right now but you are still the brightest one out of all of them.” Seulgi gives her a reassuring smile follow by that cocky smirk that Wendy hates so much.

 

She shoves Seulgi on the shoulders lightly out of habit but instantly regretted it when Seulgi winces in pain.

 

“Oh my gosh. I’m so sorry! Are you okay?” Wendy fusses over Seulgi’s injuries wanting to check on the bruises and cuts that the girl had incurred.

 

“I’m fine.” Seulgi chuckles softly. “But if you want to undress me that badly. We can do it somewhere more private, babe.” She leans closer to whisper into Wendy’s ear.

 

Wendy tries her hardest to hold herself back. If the girl wasn’t injured, she would probably throw a punch or two her way.

--

When Kang Seulgi didn’t show up to school the next day, Wendy was filled with concerns and worries. Her mind runs wild with what ifs.

 

Was she okay? What if she was more injured than she let on? What if she was sent to the hospital? Worse! What if she fainted somewhere on her way home?

 

She tries asking around to see if anyone knows anything about Seulgi’s whereabouts but the answers she got was unhelpful. Given Seulgi’s reputation, she wasn’t surprised that ‘she probably ditched’ was the most common answer and ‘she probably overslept’ was runner up.    

 

Her mind was only put to ease when biology rolls around and the teacher informs them that Seulgi will be out for the next few days due to a 'family trip'.

 

And for some reason, the school seems quieter, emptier, lonelier.

 

So when Kang Seulgi didn’t show up to school again the day after either, Wendy can’t help but keep glancing at that empty seat in biology and picturing that annoying smirk on that annoying face.

 

And when a note passes by on her desk, she can’t help but be disappointed that it was not a crumbled piece of paper with some nerdy lines.

 

And when she packs up her back to leave for the day, she can’t help but hope to see a certain someone leaning against the wall with that cocky attitude.

 

Wendy will never admit it out loud but she kind of miss having Kang Seulgi around.  

--

“Morning babe.” And there she is, Kang Seulgi casually leaning against Wendy’s locker that Monday morning with her signature smirk.

 

Wendy’s heart leaps in delight and accidentally lets her excitement shows on her face when she returns Seulgi’s greeting with a bright, cheery smile.  

 

“I swear, even if there is no gravity on this planet, I would still fall for you.” Seulgi returns the smile with a smug of her own. Her confidence and cockiness seems to have doubled over the weekend.

 

Gosh. Did I actually miss that for a second!?

 

Wendy feigns a scoff at the pickup line as she walks toward her locker. Toward Seulgi.  And only when she thought that the other girl is not looking that she lets a small smile escapes her lips.

 

And all of a sudden, the day seems brighter, livelier, and complete again.  


A/N: I'm back with a Wenseul one-shot this time. ^.^  It's a quick dabble. I hope you all enjoy reading this one. Let me know whatcha think.