Chapter 2

The Color of Love

  June 24

  Yesterday something strange happened to me, and I know the cause of it, but a part of me doesn't want to believe it. What if it’s all in my mind? What if what I saw was because it was the first time I stepped outside in a long time, so the sun was playing tricks on me? What if what I saw when I bumped into that person was simply the sun reflecting against the white fur? What if...

  What I'm describing is a possible contact with my soulmate. Sure, some people meet their soulmate in unexpected ways such as catching their eye at a concert or touching hands when reaching out for the same book on the shelf or suddenly realizing your best friend is someone you can't live without. But for me, I simply bumped her shoulder. That's it.

  What's the use of knowing your soulmate when there's no love? I'm not even sure if this girl I bumped into is my soulmate. I also don't know what she looks like. Sure, she loves next to me, but how can someone fall in love naturally if in the back of their head, all they can think of is, “This is my soulmate. There's someone out there for me. I can finally see color because of this person.”

  Jihun tapped his keyboard. His mind was everywhere, and he was having trouble putting everything in words. He didn’t know how to express what he’s feeling, but he also wanted to let it all out. After staring at the blinking bar on the end of his sentence, he added a new paragraph and continued.

  Maybe the best way for me to grasp the whole situation is to meet her again. After all, I can’t confirm that what I saw was real since it only happened within a second. Should I try to greet her this time?

- J

  This time, Jihun didn’t read through it as he had read the first two paragraphs over and over to spark some inspiration to write the final paragraph. His mind was also too busy trying to figure out how he would even meet the girl. The first time he met her, he didn’t even get to see her face, let alone talk to her. Not only that, he wasn’t much of a conversation starter and would shy away whenever he wouldn’t know what to say next.

  He paced his room. Even a simple greeting made Jihun nervous. He didn’t think that something so minor would disrupt his mind like this. Was he really that curious? He wasn’t even interested in the fact that this girl was possibly his soulmate. All he could see when he closed his eyes was that strange shade he saw reflecting off of the dog’s fur. It was pure. It was also familiar yet unknown. He never thought he would be so interested in something like this until he had the taste of it.

  “I wonder what color that was,” he muttered to himself and bit his thumb. His eyes scanned the room, trying to figure out what could possibly be the color of the dog’s fur. The furniture in his room didn’t match as they were in a darker hue. And even if he researched colors, he wouldn’t be able to distinguish it with the other since they would just appear as different shades of grey.

  Suddenly, he remembered his friend Seungjun. He would probably know what to do.

  Jihun took his phone that was next to his laptop and texted him.

  I have a problem.
What is it?
  Did you read my blog?
I will later. Still gotta study D:

  Jihun pursed his lips. He should be studying, too, but his mind was too busy with the matter at hand. His fingers flew through the keyboard as he tried explaining everything the shortest way possible.

  I think I met my soulmate, but I’m not sure.
  I mean, I bumped into this girl and all of a sudden I saw color.
  I’m not sure though because what I saw was more or less white, but with an extra pop to it.

  Jihun’s hands trembled and he continued to walk around his room. He could see the three dots at the bottom of the screen, indicating that Seungjun was typing. It was strange. This was the first time he’s actually felt this anxious about a text.

Maybe you should go and talk to her.
  I don’t know if I can.
Don’t be shy. If you want to know the truth, then just shake her hand.
Whether she is your soulmate or not, you decide if you want to see her again. It’s up to you.

  Seungjun had a point. Jihun just hated being the one to initiate a conversation. Greeting his new neighbor was a huge step for him because the way he met people was either through force or they were the ones who spoke to him first. This would be the first time he would go out willingly.

  Jihun bit his bottom lip and thought about it. His curiosity wouldn’t leave him - he knew that much. The main problem was getting the courage to do it.

  I don’t know…
If you can’t do it, then might as well forget about her.
 Just remember, you will never answer your questions if you don’t try.

  Again, Jihun agreed. It was easier said than done. He had confined himself in this room whenever he could ever since he moved in. The comfort of staying within these walls is something he didn’t want to change and even confessed in his previous blog. He enjoyed being alone. “I mean, it’s not like I’m interested in her.” His eyes flew to his laptop. Blogging was something he did almost everyday. Sometimes finding the right topic to write about was difficult. Sure, he could skip a day, but it would ruin his daily routine. “Maybe I could use this as research,” he muttered to himself. He’s read a few blogs of people who’s seen color and stopped because he couldn’t relate to it. Maybe, if he could see color, his writing would improve.

 Alright. I’ll do it
Let me know how it goes.

  Jihun stuffed his phone into his pocket and took a deep breath. All he needed to do was officially greet himself and shake her hand long enough for him to see other colors and hope he would be able to write what he saw in words.

  Jihun left his room and stopped at his front door. He stared at the silver doorknob. “I would have to knock on her door, wouldn’t I?” That thought was something he didn’t consider yesterday since the movers were around, leaving the door open, but since she’s all settled, her door would certainly be locked unless he happened to leave at the same time he was.

  Pushing the door open, Jihun poked his head out first and checked to see if anyone was around.

  No one. The girl’s door was shut.

  Jihun retreated. “I had more confidence yesterday. Where is it now?” He groaned. Then, he remembered Seungjun’s words. “I should at least try.”

  He stepped out and immediately retreated.

  “She’s my neighbor so I can always see her another time. Yeah, I can do that.” Jihun’s hand was still on the knob with the door wide open. It would be easy for him to retreat. All he had to do was take a step back and shut the door. However, as he was about to do so, he heard a click next door.

  For the third time, he poked his head out and caught a glimpse at the girl. She was wearing sunglasses and was dressed casually. Instead of throwing himself back to avoid her noticing, his eyes landed on her dog. The dog was certainly a different shade from the first time Jihun saw it, but there was something else that caught his eyes. This dog was no ordinary dog. Wrapped around the dog’s body was a harness with the words Service Dog etched in white.