Spaces Between Us

The Bachelorette

And as if another breath of air could have been enough to make them suffocate right there, Wheein and Hyejin resisted the urge, the need to fill their lungs with much needed oxygen. It was Hyejin who inhaled first, her chest rising higher than normal and falling back quickly as she breathed great gulps of fear in anticipation what would happen next.  Almost simultaneously, Wheein abruptly backed off while taking the risk of falling from the bed rather painful.

Thanks to their long friendship Hyejin was taken by instinct and protectively reached out for Wheein’s hand, a failed attempt because it made Wheein flinch even more.

“Don’t. Don’t touch me.”

That stung. Bravely Hyejin ignored her best friend’s demand as she sat up in order to meet her at eye level, her hands soon found their place on either side at Wheein’s face.  Familiar warmth surrounded them, yet it wasn’t as enjoyable as usually and in an instant Wheein feared that it never will be normal again.

“Stupid”

Strangely enough Hyejin’s insult felt like the most rescuing word from all the things she could have said at that moment. It made sense though, she was her best friend. They knew each other and their needs best.

When Wheein found the courage to meet Hyejin’s gaze again it was exactly at that moment that the generally eloquent business woman was speechless for the first time in her life. Slightly shimmering eyes pierced her heart mercilessly even after gently wiping the trail of tears away from Wheein’s puffy cheeks.

Hyejin was too distracted with asking herself what made her friend so hurt and broken that she couldn’t catch a clear sense. Feelings of despair were blocking her logical thinking.

Unspoken words remained unspoken as they both found comfort in simply hugging each other like they always did after they fought and made up. Only that this time they didn’t fight with each other but instead with themselves.

Neither Wheein nor Hyejin was ready to face the truth.

A while later when most of the participants already went to sleep Wheein sat alone out on the porch trying to get lost in any other world except for her own. Creaking floor boards caught her attention and when Wheein turned around she saw the woman with whom she had a small conversation before Hyejin abducted her. While holding a glass of what looked like orange juice she approached Wheein with a small smile, offering the cooled drink to her.

To be perfectly honest Wheein wasn’t in the mood to talk more than necessary so she made a gesture that invited the nice woman to take a sit next to her, what she of course did.

A new pair of legs was hanging down at the edge of the porch and even though the silence didn’t get interrupted Wheein’s thoughts were slowly changing into preferable ones. She actually appreciated the company. Being alone with herself always .

Curious she risked a brief glance at the slightly taller woman. It would be an understatement to say that she was beautiful. Her short blonde hair and her remarkable face could as well belong to a famous model, someone who exclusively works for the well-known brands. She had a little birthmark on her right eyelid to which Wheein paid the most attention to since her eyes were closed.

“Like what you see?”

A chuckle covered Wheein’s startled gasp, suddenly feeling kind of caught in the act. A moment of inexplicable hesitation passed until she gathered enough confidence to raise her voice.

“Actually, yes. You look very attractive.”

Wheein’s courage was rewarded with a timid smile. After that though, it became silent again and Wheein was deliberating for a while before she came up with a possible topic of conversation. Like hell she would try to endure a very painful and unnecessary small talk.

“I haven’t asked for your name, have I?”

“No but to be fair, everyone here calls me differently.”

“How would you like to be called by me then?” The woman whose identity became an even bigger mystery looked Wheein straight in the eyes, somewhat like a challenge flickering in her gaze.

“It depends.”

“On what?” She finally had Wheein’s undivided attention without any signs of interruptions. Revealing her honest smile she leaned in a little bit closer while she lowered her gaze.

“What you really want to know; me or my name?”

Taking different responses in consideration, Wheein took her time coming up with a satisfying answer. But then she just decided to say what felt right to her.

“What about both?”

Wheein couldn’t anticipate the woman’s reaction and felt slightly embarrassed when she started laughing out loud. Her hand found Wheein’s in an attempt to calm her down but that made Wheein blush even more.

“If you’re genuinely interested in me, invite me on a date and I’ll decide whether I give you my real name or not.” With a playful wink she picked up the forgotten glass of juice and left a dumbfounded Wheein alone again.

 

 

 

Fate treated Wheein unkindly.

 

A new announcement caused a flurry of excitement early in the morning. Halfway awake, Wheein tried to remember the date; more specifically, the amount of days she had spent in the villa as the desired Bachelorette. Quickly she glanced at the huge calendar on her wall where she already marked two days. So this must be the third day…The third day…Oh.

How could she forget? It was day of the first election. The day Wheein had to decide who could stay and who has to leave. The day she feared and hated the most.

Everyone dressed to impress. Even early in the morning they were eager to show the best of themselves, some even made breakfast for Wheein, others tried to chat with her. From afar she saw Hyejin taking advantage of the tropical climate while taking a sunbath next to the swimming pool. Effortlessly she had Wheein’s entire attention once more. The limited fabric of her crimson bikini doesn’t leave much to the imagination.  

“Something interesting to see?” A voice, not quite unfamiliar appeared behind Wheein’s back, disturbing her trance. It was the woman from the day before.

“N-No. Just trying to get a peace of mind I guess.” What a weak excuse but not entirely wrong. Any distraction from the overwhelming amount of attention was a welcome distraction for Wheein.

“Come with me then.” 

And without further ado Wheein followed her, purposely not paying attention to those who tried to get her attention for the whole morning. Maybe…, Wheein quietly spoke to herself, they’ll leave me alone for now.

She was grateful that her wish got fulfilled. That woman carried her to one of the recreation rooms and luckily, they were alone. It was a small room with nothing else inside but a “U” shaped sofa and stereo equipment, not even windows where to be found. The only source of light came from the flat-screen monitor on the wall.

“Can you sing?”

A weird question. But then Wheein saw the microphones on the couch and everything made more sense. The purpose of this room was to sing karaoke.

“Yes, a little bit? Actually, my best friend… She always encouraged me to make something out of it. But when things got serious I decided to follow my mother’s footsteps. One day I’ll open a great art exhibition.”

No response but a kind smile was all Wheein received. Visibly astonished how easily and perhaps a little bit careless she opened up to that stranger, Wheein stared at the microphone she had handed her.

“Let’s see if your singing matches your external beauty, hm?”

Without asking for it she picked a song for Wheein and pressed play, not giving her a chance to prepare herself. However, it wasn’t necessary. She knew this song by heart. Memories of a time way back in the past rushed through her head, the lyrics coming out of automatically. Even though she had no troubles singing it, she still missed her partner with whom she practiced every free minute during her school days. The one who awoke Wheein’s desire and passion for music. It wasn’t the same without her. It sounded awful without her. It just won’t work without her.

“And my heart will go on and on…”

When the last line was sung, a bitterly sweet smile crept up its way on Wheein’s face. Carefully she placed the microphone back on the couch.

“Wow. That was…”

Seemingly lost for words the woman stared at Wheein in disbelief, hanging funnily, almost ridiculously low. Wheein on the other hand didn’t quite understood what caused her to react like that.

“Has anyone ever told you that your voice is amazing? You could be an idol…No, an artist, a singer! Wheein, you’re really good!”

“Oh please, that was…That wasn’t even good. Enough of me, let’s hear your voice!” Amused the woman stood up in a hurry and let Wheein pick a song for her, to call it a fair play.

“I’m warning you, my talent might hurt your pride!”  

Wheein laughed but that woman wasn’t exaggerating, she not only sang good but also performed a freestyle choreography. Exhausted but happy with herself she dropped her gasping body next to where Wheein sat while she rubbed away a firm layer of sweat with the back of her wrist.

“I definitely need to exercise more.”

“But you did well! Not only your vocals but also your moves are very good, almost like a professional.” Wheein exclaimed without being able to hide her excitement.

“That’s good to hear. When someone as talented as you gives me that kind of praise, I can debut soon without worrying too much.”

Did she mishear her? Did that woman say debut? Wheein waited for more explanations that never came and she didn’t dare to ask further. Maybe she was just joking and if she wanted to openly talk about it, she would do it herself, Wheein thought.

“I’m in the mood for more songs. What about a duet? Let’s see how our voices match together!”

There wasn’t a real reason for Wheein to reject this offer so she just tagged along with her. The time they’ve spent together passed fast and at some point Wheein simply enjoyed the first calm experience she had there. That woman, whoever she was, beamed with an addicting positivity and it was so easy, so relaxing to do nothing but exist next to her, listen to her and follow her words.

Slowly but surely Wheein opened up to her. At some point their singing turned into uncontrollable laughing, mainly because of Wheein’s poor attempts to catch up with the woman’s hilarious dancing, if you could even call it like that.

Already panting hard they finally took a break and decided to go slower from now on. Wheein had an idea.

“I dare you to sing a ballad.” She said in between her irregular breathings.

“That’s not a dare, Wheein. “

“It is when I say so! Trust me ballads are difficult, especially in our current condition.”

The woman made a face, probably considering Wheein’s offer. The smirk that appeared told Wheein that she also had a thought, whether it’s a good one or not.

“If we play this game and you got to make a dare, then it’s my turn to ask you about a truth.”

“Alright” Was her short but determined reply.

Who would have known that she was also able to sing a ballad song so effortlessly? Surprised but also kind of proud, Wheein watched her closely, a dreamy expression lingering on her face. The woman decided to sing while sitting next to Wheein but the change in her position didn’t change the quality of her vocals. She really must be a professional, Wheein thought while paying close attention to her, or more like her technique and the way she breaths in between the lines.

After she was done for good Wheein gave her a standing ovation, half serious and half joking.

“Thank you, thank you. Oh, by the way, it’s my turn now!”

Acknowledging Wheein hummed, pretending to fall asleep as she used her arm that lay on the couch armrest to support her heavy head. Her eyes were half shut but her smile betrayed her nonetheless.

By closing the distance a little bit, the woman managed to make Wheein open her eyes voluntary.

“Please, it’s just a truth. Pay attention to my question.” She pleaded comically but this time Wheein obeyed. The woman’s face got more serious but she still looked softly at Wheein, pausing before expressing her question.

“So, Wheein. Tell me in all honesty, are you…interested in me?”

Her eyes widened but she remained silent, a little bit too long though. Impatiently the woman came even closer, her head now resting at the same height as Wheein’s, only inches away from each other.

She wasn’t able to suppress the panic rising inside of her and it got worse the longer the silence lingered. Stolen stares made her heart race but Wheein couldn’t understand why, couldn’t understand what was happening.

Maybe she misheard her again? No. Remember where you are, Wheein!

“Wheein…You have to tell me the truth. Are you or aren’t you interested in me?”

From a logical and platonically point of view, Wheein of course was more than interested in that woman. She was genuinely friendly and energetic, smiling all the time and overall pleasant to be with. She made her relax for the first time in days and they’ve spent a fun time together for which Wheein was nothing but grateful.

“Yes. If you ask me like that, that’s all I can say. But-…”

She didn’t get the chance to finish her sentence.

For a brief moment the world was turning upside down, as well as her stomach. A certain feeling, similar to something she has felt before, yet so incredible different, lasted long enough for her to understand what exactly was happening.

Her nose was tingling with strands of hair that weren’t her own. Hands she never felt before held her face, firm but not too strong.

Lips she never tasted before pressed on her own, tender but lacking of something she couldn’t put in words.

When they parted Wheein was still a loss for words. Her stares weren’t curious like those from the woman. She stared and stared, not being able to move or speak. There wasn’t anything to do or say anyway.

“Yongsun.”

“Huh?” Apparently, hearing the unknown name released Wheein from her trance.

“My name is Yongsun. But you can call me Yong.”