i don't make a lasting impression

i don't make a lasting impression
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The deafening sound of the alarm clock on her desk succeeds in waking Nayoung up. Nayoung scrunches her nose and shut her eyes closed before putting off her alarm. It’s 6AM and it’s time for her to wake up if she doesn’t want to be late for her 7AM class. Who the hell thought it would be a great idea to start school at 7AM anyway? Probably someone who doesn’t have a life, Nayoung thought. Definitely someone who doesn’t have a life.

She gets up, puts on her cute pig slippers and slaps herself multiple times to keep herself awake. She has a 7AM class she cannot afford to fail (else her mom kills her but that’s another story to tell).

--

She washes her hands and had a look of her reflection in the huge mirror by the sink. Seeing her hair unequally parted, Nayoung bring her left hand to comb her hair to fix it. Looking closer, she noticed that her lips are dry, noticeably chapped. She exhales. She quickly dries her hand on her skirt (don’t judge her!) and reaches for her bag, pulling out sufficient amount of tissue paper to properly dry her hand. She her lips before carefully placing lip balm. She must’ve been in a hurry to even put it on this morning. She looks at the mirror once more and purses her lips before telling herself she’s satisfied—she looks okay.

Nayoung doesn’t think of herself as special anyway nor does she want to be. She’s an average student with enough social life to not be called an introvert, had her fair share of relationships and flings, studies on weekdays, bums on weekdays… an ordinary teenager. She doesn’t pity herself, no. She’s just not special and she’s okay with that.

When she was in middle school though, she believed she was ugly. It’s just the logical thing to conclude for a teenager who hasn’t been asked out while her friends get confessions almost every other week. She wasn’t jealous, she’d insist. But if someone said she’s insecure, she wouldn’t deny it.

Two months later, someone finally asked her out. It was this guy from the soccer team named Jaehwan, an upperclassman. He wasn’t particularly a star player and Nayoung wouldn’t be surprised if someone said they don’t know him from the team. To be fair, Nayoung wasn’t aware of his existence either until the confession. But still, Jaehwan was the first to ask her out. He’s tall, handsome and Nayoung could tell he’s kind as well. So, of course, Nayoung said yes.

It was also in middle school when Nayoung realized that she wasn’t really ugly. Nope. Because after she broke up with Jaehwan, there have been quite a number of people who asked her out. Not that she thinks  the number of admirers is the standard of being pretty but it doesn’t take a genius to figure out the correlation.

There was a time though when she bumped into a guy who was hurriedly making his way. She was running late for class and she assumes the guy was, too. The bump was nothing romantic and Nayoung’s left shoulder did hurt for a day after that. He was Sanghyuk, one of Jaehwan’s soccer teammates. She smiled after seeing him. He was a funny kid, Nayoung fondly recalls. Sanghyuk bowed and said sorry multiple times.

“I’m really sorry,” he repeats while helping Nayoung stand up, careful not to cause her more pain.

“It’s okay, Hyuk. I’m fine.” Nayoung smiled kindly but stopped when she noticed the boy’s trying hard to remember who she was, eyes squinting and forehead creasing.

“Kim Nayoung,” says Nayoung to finally save him from his misery. “Jaehwan?” she added the detail with a tight-lipped smile.

“Ah, right.” He rubs the back of his neck, embarrassed that he forgot. “Kim Nayoung.”

So, Nayoung doesn’t think she’s ugly anymore but rather just a forgettable pretty face.

--

Nayoung feels hungry but as she checks her watch, she learns it’s already a little past 10. It should be up by now. She hoped for the best as she walks to the bulletin board looking a little bit expectant with a smile on her face.

“Theater, huh?” says a voice while Nayoung looks for her name in the list. She paused for a moment and spared the person a glance, curious of the intruder.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” says the other girl realizing she had interrupted Nayoung. She puts her hand up in the air and pointed back to the notice. “Don’t mind me.”

One look and Nayoung is certain she knows the girl. In fact, everybody does. How could she not? (How could anyone not?)

“God Sejeong,” she whispered to herself but the distance between them made it impossible for the smaller girl to not hear. Sejeong grins, the one where seemingly all her teeth are seen.

“It’s actually KIM Sejeong but sure.”

Nayoung broke away from her trance after realizing how embarrassing of a reaction that was. You don’t just call someone god right in front of her, not even if the whole school does (not-so) behind her back. You’re not even a fan, Nayoung told herself.  

Kim Sejeong is the school’s top track star who just recently bagged golds in different categories during the nationals. And while Nayoung personally thinks the school overdid it with the amount congratulatory tarpaulins and posters (her face grinning while holding out her medals, it’s all over the campus, who’d forget), she cannot blame them.

“Oh right, Kim Sejeong.” Nayoung has composed herself now. She sighed audibly and tried to explain herself, hoping to save herself from embarrassment if that could still work. “Sorry. It’s just that it’s how everybody calls you-” Sejeong smiled awkwardly, probably just wanting Nayoung to drop the topic altogether.  “Which I’m sure you’re aware of,” Nayoung ended upon seeing the girl’s reaction. Sejeong nods in understanding, trying to make the situation less awkward.

“Well, you can say that.” Sejeong brushed it off. She moved closer to Nayoung and look at the notice on board. It’s the final list of actors for the theatre club’s next play. “What’s your name?” Sejeong asked, eyes on the notice, ready to scan for her name.

“Kim Nayoung,” she tells. Her eyes landed on Sejeong and thought to herself that maybe the rumors about her are true. She’s pretty friendly. Or was it pretty and friendly? Honestly, what’s the difference?

Sejeong paused momentarily and looked at Nayoung pensively. “Kim Nayoung?” Nayoung was shocked. Is this tone of familiarity she hears? Does Sejeong know her? Did their publicity for the last play actually work? (She played the lead in the matinee!) “Aren’t you from the fencing team?” Of course she doesn’t know you, Nayoung mocked herself.

Nayoung sighs inwardly. Obviously, the star track athlete would know the other athlete. “Uhmm, no. That’s IM Nayoung.” She heard about the other Nayoung from Kyulkyung once or twice (a lot, really). She also recalls seeing one of her tarpaulins in front of the fencing club’s room. She thinks, just like how there are Ajax the Great and Ajax the Lesser in Homer’s Iliad, her university’s got Nayoung the Great and the Nayoung the lesser. She laughs at her own insult. “I’m the lesser Nayoung from theatre.” She beams sincerely. Honestly, Nayoung doesn’t find offense in remarks like this anymore.

“Hey, don’t say that,” Sejeong however reprimands, her lips turning into a frown. “So, you’re the theatre Nayoung. That doesn’t necessarily makes you lesser.” Sejeong looks at the notice once more before looking at Nayoung with a childish grin. “Makes you a nerd, though,” Sejeong added teasingly, scrunching her nose in the process. Nayoung just shifted uncomfortably. “Congrats,” she said after finding Nayoung’s name.

“Thanks,” was Nayoung’s short reply. She already saw that she was part of the supporting cast. “You should come and see it-” Nayoung paused, realizing it’s still months before the play and she doesn’t even know the girl all that much to be casually inviting her. “But it’s-”

“Sure!” Sejeong replied quickly. “Just tell me when we’re kidnapping Shin Hana though.” Sejeong winked playfully. THE Kim Sejeong winked at her and that took Nayoung a moment to recover before she could process what the girl was saying.

“I’m sorry but that’s a crime?” was her clueless reply. Shin Hana?

“Since you’re the lead’s understudy,” started Sejeong but she didn’t get to finish it when Nayoung lightly shoved her to look at the notice once more, eyes quickly scanning the list.

“I’m Hana’s understudy?” Nayoung exclaims in disbelief.

“As I was saying,” Sejeong tries to continue. “Just tell me when so you could play the lead.” It was a joke, of course, but Nayoung didn’t laugh.

“I didn’t audition for that part,” Nayoung shared, re-reading the notice to make sure it really was her name under Hana’s. While there is another Kim Nayoung within the school (she heard, someone from 10C), she’s the only Theatre Nayoung.

“Well,” Sejeong started. “Must be because you’re good?” Sejeong raised her brows and Nayoung could almost swear Sejeong winked at her again. But before she could even formulate any reply, Sejeong already excused herself. “I have a class,” Sejeong muttered before looking at Nayoung apologetically.

“Oh, yes. Of course. You should go.”

“See you next time, Theater Nayoung.” Sejeong gave her a small salute before making her way to her classroom.

Of course, she runs.

--

Nayoung thought it is right to ask Mr. Yang about her being Hana’s understudy. Because one, she didn’t audition for that part; two, Mr. Yang’s not that adept with technology so it could be a technical mistake on his part (although she’s sure someone else typed and printed the notice), and three, she’s not really interested in being an understudy –again.  And so she made her way to his office.

“Mr. Yang,” she started upon approaching the professor, a man still in his early forties but hair already slowly turning grey.

“Nayoung,” he acknowledges. “The meetings not in ten minutes?” Mr. Yang looked at his watch, checking to see if he was late before proceeding on filing his books in the bookshelf behind his table.

“Oh, yes. I just… I just wanted to ask you about something before the meeting.” Nayoung pursed her lips. “I’m Hana’s understudy,” she stated first. “But I don’t recall auditioning for the part.”

“Oh that.” Mr. Yang nods. “There’s no one who could do better.” Mr. Yang sighs. “I’m sorry, Nayoung, I know you auditioned for a smaller role and I would’ve picked you if I didn’t know you’d do better as Hana’s understudy.”

Nayoung brings her lips to a close, disappointed. Being an understudy means just being part of the chorus to put it into plain words. Of course, she’s flattered to know that she is considered for the lead role but being considered and being chosen is a different thing. Honestly, Nayoung just wanted to be one of the other characters in the play. At least, she’ll get to memorize lines she’d actually perform. (Her playing the lead in that one matinee show last time was just Hana’s generosity, she’d say. Nayoung still believes she faked being sick.)

“Of course, Mr. Yang. Thank you,” was the lie that she said instead.

--

“Hey, Theater Nayoung.”

Nayoung thought that the first time she met Sejeong would be the last time she’d talk to her, so hearing the track star call her name came as a shock to her. Not to mention, Sejeong remembers her name (!) even after a month. This is a record, she laughs to herself. She looked back.

“Hey there, God Sejeong,” Nayoung greeted playfully as soon as Sejeong reaches her.

Sejeong grimaced at the moniker. “It’s just Sejeong for you.”

Okay, now’s not the time to feel special, Nayoung reminded herself.

“Then it’s just Nayoung for you, too.”

“Fine by me.” Sejeong nods with a smirk. Sejeong then proceeded to wipe her sweat with the back of her hand, panting slightly. Judging by her clothes (tracksuit, running shoes), she has been training. “Where are you headed to?”

“Me? Uhmmm. Theatre.” Nayoung glanced at the hall.

“Hmmm, I see. I’d just grab my bag. I’m headed there, too.”

Nayoung raised a brow. “Theatre, really?” Her reply sounded a little bit more sarcastic than she intended. “Don’t tell me you’re pulling a Troy Bolton and be the best of both worlds?” Nayoung chuckles. Sejeong performing, that would be a sight.

“Detention actually.” Sejeong wiggled her brows. “But who knows~” Sejeong singsongs.

“What?” Nayoung laughed a bit loudly. “Who still uses theatre detention as a punishment?”

“Well, well, well. Some teachers like it old school.” Sejeong wipes her sweat once more. “So, let me come with you, okay?” Sejeong didn’t even wait for the taller girl’s reply and sped off to grab her bag.

Nayoung didn’t move. She smiled and waited.

--
“So, this is theatre,” Sejeong said as she surveyed the place, eyes fixing on the props she’d probably work on. Yikes. She has been to the hall multiple times before but not when the theatre club’s working on producing a play.

“Yeps.” Nayoung placed her hand on her chest and bowed. “Welcome to our humble abode.” Both of them chuckled at the gesture. Nayoung scans the place after, checking to see if the others have arrived.

“Unnie!” Sejeong suddenly called out loud. Nayoung looked beside her and followed her gaze. She was calling Hana. She had no idea they know each other.

“Sejeong!” Hana rushes to them with a smile plastered to her face. Nayoung stood silent, clueless. “You didn’t tell me you’d come here.” Hana lightly punched Sejeong’s shoulder. Sejeong held her shoulder and pretended to be hurt.

“Ouch. I didn’t know I can’t visit?”

“Lies.” Hana playfully glared before beaming. “What are you here for?”

Okay, Nayoung feels left out. What’s happening? She has no idea.

“Detention.”

“Tsk. Tsk. Should’ve known.” Hana shifted her attention to Nayoung. “I see you’ve met Nayoung. Is she in-charge of your detention?”

“Nope. We’re plotting on how to abduct you on the play date though.” Sejeong gave Hana her signature eyesmile but she got smacked by Nayoung as soon as the words left .

“Hey!” Nayoung quickly looked at Hana. “That’s not true, Ms. Hana.” Nayoung quickly clarifies before Hana harbors any hate towards her. Hana is a sweetheart and Nayoung has no doubt she deserves the leading role. If any, she looks up to her. So, she cannot let Sejeong’s harmless joke jeopardize her senior-junior relationship with Hana.

Hana shakes her head, laughing. “Sejeong does that a lot, don’t worry,” Hana assures, her voice reeking with familiarity and fondness of Sejeong which Nayoung didn’t miss. “I gotta go,” Hana said as she looks back to her leading man, probably to discuss blockings and whatnots. “Talk to you later, Sejeong.” Hana shifted her gaze to the other girl. “You too, Nayoung. Practice starts in 10.” Nayoung nodded politely.

“I didn’t know you know Ms. Hana,” voices Nayoung as soon as Hana left, her gaze waiting an explanation.

“Well,” Sejeong shrugs before looking at Nayoung. “It’s not like I’ve had enough time to tell.”

Okay, point taken. Nayoung laughs at herself. It’s not like they know know each other anyway.

“I’d just-” Sejeong inhaled. “See where I can help.” She raised her fist right beside her face and cheered on Nayoung, “Do well!”

--

“Hey girl,” a familiar voice whispered to Nayoung, her lips dangerously close to Nayoung’s left ear. Nayoung shivered at the almost contact.

“I’m starting to think you’re stalking me,” Nayoung jokes, shaking her shiver away. It was Sejeong.

“Well, maybe I am,” Sejeong counters with a grin. “Where to now?”

Nayoung takes a quick check at her wristwatch. “Home, I think. There’s no practice today. You?” They continued walking with Nayoung leading the way.

“Me?” Sejeong pointed at herself. Nayoung can almost swear Sejeong’s acting cute on purpose but of course, that would be wishful thinking on her part. “Will you look at that? I’ve got no practice today, too. Wanna grab something?”

“Snack?”

“Could be dinner, depends really.” Sejeong shrugs.

“Depends on what?”

“Depends if you’d get full enough to skip dinner?” Nayoung creased her brows, thinking. “Come on. I’d tell you more about the cool people I know,” brags Sejeong albeit jokingly. Nayoung just raised a brow. “And besides, I’m starving.”

Nayoung pouts, giving in. “Fine but you’re paying.”

--

Nayoung opted to go to the café nearby. At least, she’d know what to order. (And she’s already quite hungry, too.)

The place wasn’t full that day which is a relief because they got to pick a seat. Not that Nayoung prefers a certain area though, just not the ones beside the glass wall by the sidewalk.

“What would you like?” Sejeong asked while her eyes are trained in the menu above the counter. “Coffee?” She looks at Nayoung back.

Nayoung squints, eyeing the same menu as Sejeong. “Perhaps a smoothie instead? Strawberry? Hmmm… add some glazed doughnuts and oh, blueberry cheesecake, too.”

“You made it your agenda to make me go broke, huh?” Sejeong commented, smiling.

“I can pay-”

Sejeong leaned in and lightly pinched her cheek. Since when were they on ‘pinching cheeks’ status? “Chill, girl.” Sejeong stood up. “I was just joking. I can handle this.” And oh dear god did Nayoung wanted to scrap that smug grin off her face. And no, she definitely wasn’t blushing hard.

Nayoung fans herself with both hands. God, is the a/c not working? She inhaled deeply and closed her eyes. Chill, Nayoung.

It took Sejeong a while to order and to collect their food which is a blessing in disguise because Nayoung sure did take time to recover from the scene earlier. What the hell was that?

“Here you go,” Sejeong comments as she places Nayoung’s order on her side of the table.

“You’d make an excellent waiter,” Nayoung teases. “Thanks!”

Nayoung was fixing the tissue around her drink when she noticed a handwritten text. “Hey, what’s this?” Nayoung asked, glancing at the tissue first before handing it to Sejeong.

Sejeong took the tissue and tried to read what’s written. “I don’t know. Phone number?” Sejeong commented hesitantly. She looked at the counter once more and so did Nayoung. When Sejeong met eyes with the cashier, the young cashier winked. Nayoung almost pukes. She’s flirting.

“Oh my god, she’s totally into you.”

“Eh?” Sejeong shrugs. “Yeah, maybe.” Sejeong took it nonchalantly and proceeds to sipping her drink.

“That’s it?” Nayoung commented almost condescendingly. “You at flirting.”

Sejeong chuckles. “Or maybe I just don’t want to flirt with her?” Sejeong shakes her head. “I’m not God Sejeong for nothing,” she teasingly brags. Nayoung just rolled her eyes. Of course, she’d date or is dating someone her celebrity status. What does she know?

But Nayoung didn’t miss it when Sejeong put the tissue in her jacket’s pocket. Or really just a secret flirt, Nayoung mentally rolled her eyes, annoyed for whatever reason she cannot admit to herself.

“How’s the play?” Sejeong tries to change the topic. “Any developments?”

Nayoung may not have noticed it but her mood turned gloomy. “Still an understudy,” she answers passively.

“I see,” was Sejeong’s awkward answer.

Suddenly, the atmosphere turned silent. An unusual tension filled up the air, so thick Sejeong could cut it with a knife. So, she exhales audibly, attempting to catch Nayoung’s gaze.

“Sooo… uhmmm…” Sejeong starts. “Why theatre?”

Nayoung blinks her eyes multiple times, still not meeting Sejeong's gaze. “Hmmm?”

“I said, why theatre?”

Nayoung paused from drinking. The question has taken her aback. Should she share?

“Why running?” Nayoung retorts.

“I asked first,” Sejeong counters. Nayoung just continued sipping her smoothie and raised her eyebrows. She’s not backing down. “Fine.” Sejeong sighs in defeat.

“Well, it was just for fun at first,” Sejeong started. “You know whe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter