Chapter 1

You and I
 

 

Krystal and Amber met when they were still trainees under SM Entertainment. They’d been friends ever since. They would hang out together at the bar, sometimes at Krystal and Jessica’s unit, and sometimes at Amber’s place.
 
Amber would walk Krystal to her school before going to her Korean lessons, even though it means she would be late for her classes. She would even sneak out to eat lunch with Krystal, and would go to the carnival during free days.
 
You... whenever I fall...
with your strong and unfaltering gaze
you help me to get up.
 
Amber would even follow Krystal around the mall the whole day. She hates shopping. But for Krystal, she will endure it. She’ll be annoyed when Krystal would give her a dress and tell her to wear it for her. After all, she’s content with jeans, shirt and a cap. But if wearing the dress would make Krystal happy, then so be it. To heck with her pride! For Krystal, she’ll swallow it whole.
 
And you... when I run out of strength,
on the edge of the cliff of sadness,
once again you come and grab my hands just in the nick of time.
 
There was something in Krystal that made Amber question herself again. Sure, this was not the first time she was attracted to a girl. The first time she confessed her admiration for a girl, she was rejected point blankly. She created this neutral image after.
 
 
 
Until then did she realize that she was already falling for Krystal. But she thought that it was wrong. Krystal is special. She must not fall in love with Krystal.
 
 
She tried avoiding her. Amber would hang out with Victoria and Luna instead during training. She did not talk to her. She didn’t answer Krystal’s calls and messages. She even deleted Krystal’s contact details on her phone. Sadly, she memorized her number by heart.
 
 
 
One day, Jessica appeared on her door…and gave her a slap.
 
As if in trance, it woke her up.
 
She loves Krystal.
 
And she cannot make herself forget it.
 
Although it's shameful I haven't done anything for you,
today I sing this song for you.
Tonight, in your eyes and behind that smile
the pain caused by protecting me is showing.
 
That day she went to Krystal’s unit. She breathed deep before knocking. Jessica went to Yuri’s unit that day…or was it Taecyeon’s? Whatever…So it’ll be just Krystal at home…or so she thought.
 
The door opened. “Amber?”
 
She looked up. It was Minho.
 
What are you doing here?” She asked.
 
I was just he-”
 
She punched him. She punched him straight on the face, knocking him over.
 
Omo! Minho!” She heard Krystal’s voice. “A-Amber? What did you do?”
 
Krystal. Minho. It was not a good sight to see. She bent down on Minho who was still on the floor holding his precious face.
 
She was about to punch him again, when Krystal spoke. “Amber? Stop.”
 
She looked at her. Her face looked like she was betrayed. Her eyes were teary. Her smooth face flushed.
 
She smiled at Krystal. And looked at Minho again.
 
Take care of her.” Amber said. She stood up and left them.
 
 
 
She quitted training and stopped going to her Korean classes. She wanted to end all her businesses in Korea. She decided to go home the next day. She already had packed her bag. Her passport and ticket were on the table. All she needed to do was get a cab to the airport and ride the plane. That’s all she needed to do. But why doesn’t she feel confident of doing so?
 
 
Someone knocked on her door. She looked at the clock. 2 o’clock in the morning. Who would want to talk to her at this hour?
 
She opened it and saw Minho. She was fighting the urge to punch the guy again.
 
Instead, she smiled. “Wassup, Minho? Come in.” She said and opened her door wider. Minho obliged.
 
Ah, Minho-ya, it’s messy right now. Sorry.” She said as she put her things away from the couch.
 
So what time is your flight?” Minho asked.
 
Amber answered “11:30.”
 
So, what do you need from me anyways?” Amber asked her friend politely after some awkward silence.
 
Suddenly Minho said “You need to talk to her.”
 
Her. Krystal? What for?
 
You see, that day I was on their unit… Krystal needed help in baking a cake.” Minho said.
 
Cake. Krystal. No, she doesn’t know how to bake. She doesn’t bake. Period.
 
Minho said “She wanted to bake a cake for you, Amber.”
 
What?” Amber wasn’t able to hide her curiosity. “Why?”
 
You love her, don’t you?”
 
Yes.” She said.
 
Minho stood up and went in front of Amber. He put his hands on both of her shoulders and said. “Now talk to her and be a man.”
 
She nodded.
 
Alright then. I will go now.” Minho smiled.
 
Oh yeah, Amber…” Minho said before closing the door behind him. “We’ll be having a basketball game later. Same place. 1pm. I still have to get back to you for the punch.” He said as he pointed to the band-aid on his face.
 
Amber nodded as Minho closed the door, leaving her in the middle of her room: the ticket, her passport and her packed bag.
 
She sat on the couch and brought her face in her palms. She didn’t know what to do.
 
 
 
 
6 o’clock.
 
Alright. This is now or never’ She thought as she got out of the elevator. She walked slowly towards Krystal’s unit.
 
She slowly lifted her fist and knocked on the door.
 
Her breathing went fast as she heard footsteps approaching behind the door. She focused her stare on the ground.
 
Amber?”
 
She looked up. It was Jessica.
 
You came here so I can slap you again?” She asked but she was smiling.
 
She scratched the back of her head. “Ah, where’s Krystal?”
 
She’s still sleeping.” Jessica said. “But come in.” as she opened the door wider.
 
Alright, then. The unit is all yours.” Jessica winked as she got her coat at the hanger and got out of her unit.
 
Amber was in the living room. She remembered this place oh-so well. Here, Krystal and Amber would play video games, sing karaoke, watch movies, or just sit there sharing stories.
 
Amber walked towards Krystal’s room. She opened the door slowly. And there was Krystal on the bed sleeping peacefully. She walked towards Krystal’s bed and sat on it.
 
She looked around and it was still the same as she remembered: the photo frames of herself, of her family, with her Jessica unnie and a lot more of her and Amber. The books on the shelf were still stacked disorderly. Her closet was a bit open, showing a bit of what’s inside – unfolded clothes. She smiled. The room never changed.
 
She stood up and went to the closet. She folded Krystal’s clothes…just like before. When she was done, she went to the bookshelf and arranged the books neatly. She did this all with pure love, if that’s possible.
 
What are you doing?”
 
Amber turned around and saw Krystal sitting on the bed. She was staring at her intently.
 

 
Ah…It was…uh…I just…” Amber stuttered. Why was she here again?
 
Krystal…” Amber said, getting a hold of herself. “I just wanted to see you before I go.”
 
Oh.” Krystal muttered, crossing her arms over her chest. “Sit. Let’s talk.”
 
Amber doesn’t know why but the younger girl can really be bossy. Has Krystal forgotten that she’s older than her? But she doesn’t care…as long as it’s Krystal. She sat on the bed, facing the younger girl.
 
Amber…” Krystal whispered.
 
Amber doesn’t know why the younger girl never called her ‘unnie’.
 
Krystal…” Amber cut in.
 
This is it, Amber! Tell it to her now then ride the plane away from here. No regrets.’ She cheered herself mentally.
 
Krystal, I love you.” Amber blurted out.
 
She looked at Krystal who gasped. Krystal was looking at her with round eyes and open mouth.
 
She expected Krystal to shoo her out of the unit telling her to never come back again. Instead, she said. “Y-You love me?”
 
Ne.” She said as she bowed her head.
 
I love you, too, Amber.”
 
Amber looked up. Krystal was smiling at her.
 
Krystal…” Amber explained. Krystal must have thought wrong. “I love you…not just a friendly ‘I love you’…I love you, Krystal…I mean it. Like a boy to a girl ‘I love you.’ That way…”
 
I love you, too.” Krystal whispered. “Like a girl to a boy ‘I love you.’ I mean…I love you…I love you.”
 
Amber cannot contain her joy. Are her ears playing a prank on her? Anyway, she pulled Krystal into a hug. Krystal hugged her back.
 
Krystal pulled away from the hug later. But her face was as close to Amber’s as possible.
 
Don’t go.” She whispered.
 
Why?” Amber asked. She was very conscious of Krystal’s proximity.
 
Because I want you…” Krystal whispered. She then linked her hands on Amber’s nape…and pressed her lips on Amber’s.
 
Amber was surprised at Krystal’s boldness. She brought her hands to Krystal’s waist as she responded back on their kiss.
 
 
Later on, Krystal’s hand was now tugging on Amber’s shirt, while her other hand was lost somewhere in Amber’s short hair…Amber’s hands were already under the other girl’s nightgown.
 
Amber smirked as she laid Krystal on the bed, not even a moment breaking their kiss. She ripped the poor nightgown... This is pure bliss.
 
You and I together, it just feels so right.
Never words of separation... whatever anyone does, I'll protect you.
You and I together, don't let go of my hands.
Never words of goodbye... to me, the world is only you.
 
 
Aren’t you gonna be late for your flight?” Krystal cooed. They were now snuggling against each other on the bed, with the blanket over them; their clothes thrown somewhere on the floor.
 
Amber looked at the clock. 11:35.
 
Baby…” Amber said, Krystal’s long hair. “I’m not riding on that plane anymore.”
 
Really?” Krystal asked as she kissed Amber on her lips again.
 
You bet, babe…” Amber said as she held the back of Krystal’s head and deepened the kiss.
 
 
 
Well, as we all know, they debuted not long after. They were known as f(x) together with Sulli, Luna and Victoria.
 
There were photos and videos showing Amber’s and Krystal’s affection towards each other. Of course, Sulli, Luna and Victoria knew about their relationship and were happy for them.
 
Like so many people
our love will also change little by little,
but please don't be sad.
 
But their relationship is not all honey. They would sometimes fight about Amber’s closeness to Nicole and HyunA, or sometimes fight about Krystal’s mood swings. But they love each other so much that at the end of the day, they’ll talk it out.
 
Unfortunately, during one of the group’s performance for their third album, Amber sprained her ankle. So she was cut out for the group’s activities. It turned out that the injury was worse than it was. Amber was advised to take a leave of absence from performing. She needed medical therapy. Sadly, no hospitals in Korea were offering such program.
 
Like an old close friend
it's only me that you can trust, only me you can rely on.
I promise you that I'll be right here, baby.
 
Much to Krystal’s objections, Amber rode a plane bringing her to LA.
 
----
 
Amber keeps on replaying Krystal in her head – her smile, her laugh, her touch, her kiss. Suddenly, her phone rang. Thinking it was Krystal, she answered the phone immediately, not confirming who the caller really is.
 
Baby…”
 
Ya! I’m not your baby!”
 
Amber was dumbfounded.
 
Key?” She asked.
 
Yes, I’m the Almighty Key. And I’m not your baby, babo!” Key shouted on the other line.
 
Ah, sorry…I thought it was Krystal.” Amber confessed.
 
Key’s voice softened. “Amber, about Krystal…”